Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'll wait and see what they do with Yotsuyu until I actually see where they go with her plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you're going to ask what the most genuinely popular FF game is, it's 7. You can argue about how people don't like a 7 that actually exists or whatever but it's 7.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My genuine favorite lady protagonist is probably Aerith or Celes. Garnet would be up there but I frigging hate the mute plotline.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Thought he just cast ruin for some reason.

Not that it matters since again if he can kill Jihl the entire plot doesnt work

That isn't entirely correct. It's the loophole thing. Bart's plan involves a gigantic mass human sacrifice which requires enough people dying at once to cause a huge issue. Bart being able to kill someone individually doesn't go against the fact he can't enact the mass human sacrifice on his own. You could argue that he could go around killing a bunch of people himself but that wouldn't necessarily be enough considering the entire plan revolves around "All the loving death at once."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

they're all girls monsters in my mind

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Gau is very good in WoB, I agree. My go-to for him was Templar since it gives him protect and Fire 2 early on, which is especially good during the protect the Esper sequence at Narshe. But I rarely take him to Kefka's tower because it's hard to find a good fit for him.

By Kefka's tower you have basically infinite possibilities for him even with basic rages, ignoring the *really* broken poo poo or Charm existing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

FF15 is weird to me, I'm actually enjoying the fighting and music and the like quite a bit but I come away from playing for a few hours feeling oddly disappointed, and I'm not entirely sure why

It's a game that has an incredible amount of potential that shine through constantly but it also is blatantly and seriously obvious how patched together and rushed it is so even though it does things well it's kind of easy to come away from it feeling like "if this had a sensible production schedule it would be something amazing."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrightWing posted:

I always seem to run into this weird juxtaposed sentiment that Dragon Quarter has a bunch of weird as gently caress mechanics, then turning around to people jumping in that it's one of the best in the series.

Dragon Quarter has a lot of weird mechanics and one which is probably poorly implimented but those weird mechanics tend to come together very well and for an engaging and interesting game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of Giant Enemy Crab Syndrome, FFXV question: how much should I be dumping into elemancy, both in terms of AP and in how much potency or elemental power or whatever I dump into what I craft

I know they're more like deadly grenades than something you should regularly use in a fight, so I guess "don't spend AP on it" and "dump everything into like 2 spells at a time"?

Don't waste AP on anything you're not going to be using all the drat time. It's a pain to grind up AP for stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Microcline posted:

You're confusing writing with character design. Under normal conditions the writers and character designers are only allowed to communicate through the marketing team. Under ideal conditions each character is subcontracted to a different guest artist, none of whom are told the plot or even genre of the game.

Ah, the Xenoblade 2 method.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lobster22221 posted:

I'll be honest, I said I hated Chocobo hot and cold, but I never really gave it a chance. Was it any good? The rewards seem nice, unlike every other minigame.

It can be fun if you're into the concept. It's one of the better minigames in no small part because, yeah, the rewards are really really good for fairly minimal effort. There are more rewarding minigames (most of FFX's for example) but they're atrocious to play.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I never needed to spam items in WoFF and I did everything in the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is April Fools day in Japan and this is a FFXIV joke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

How loving dead inside do you have to be to not enjoy those fights. Yes Leviathan was just hold B and enjoy being Goku that's the point

The Leviathan fight is pretty and all but there are other games (hell, other S-E games) which have fights that are similarly pretty if not better and actually more fun to play.

I didn't have any problem with Titan but Leviathan suuuucked.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

They are both better than the Ramuh fight.

I legitimately can't remember if you're joking or if there actually was a Ramuh fight I completely blocked out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Greyarc posted:

Was going to skip FF15, but after hearing about the story improvements in this thread decided to give it a go with PC version.

Watched Kingsglaive first as recommended. Movie was better than expected, still trash but was fun trash and had lots of eyecandy for fans of FF14 and FF6-style aesthetics. Wasn't expecting Lunafreya to be the most competent and badass character. Too bad they decided she was too badass to live in the game, not looking forward to seeing her get killed right away. :rant: Movie's definitely best watched with someone else who knows Final Fantasy stuff. We were joking that during the scene where the General kills the King, the reason he just stands there in a ~cool pose~ afterwards is because he's going through the victory screen in his head, getting loads of exp for that sweet King Lucis boss kill. After watching the movie, we immediately started the game up. Was a neat transition from movie to game, got us both pretty hyped.

Anyway, looking forward to playing the game. Hope Noctis is smarter than his Dad.

Is recommended DLC order still:

?

That was posted prior to Ignis coming out. Do NOT do Ignis until you've finished the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I'd say Barthandelus 1 is a pretty strong contender. He's definitely the first actually challenging fight in the game. Prior fights just let you coast through with COM/RAV/MED, but Bart has a soft dps check, and one that a lot of people wipe to because they see him charging up a big move and they immediately turtle up.

Also you can't overpower him by grinding, since there's a hard cap on your crystarium.

Well, you can, but it involves accessories/weapon upgrading instead, which is way more tedious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xenogears' soundtrack was so loving good it was ridiculous.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

When you fight god in 13-3 Lightning shouts GOD IS DEAD and it's real good

sometimes you fight a bug or a wolf and she screams I CAN'T FORGIVE YOU and it's like calm down lady it's a fuckin dog

Lightning murdered that bug and also every single member of that bug's entire species.

"I can't forgive you" seems pretty accurate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

yellow chocobo wark this way and red chocobo wark this way

You mean yellow chocobo wark this way and red chocobo wark this kweh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Himuro posted:

Why did Strago join the fanatics? I never got that and it’s never explored is it?

Strago woke up in a lovely world and thought everyone was dead so he just gave up hope.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huh. I don't have archives and I can see that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I hate to say it but no, Edgar's line in the Japanese version is explicitly that.

"{エドガー}「さすがに犯罪か…… やめとこう"

It's something like "That'd be illegal... I better not." (He's referring to hitting on her by the way but it's still creepy as poo poo.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You're forgetting Rikku and Brother are Al Bhed so clearly their real names are Neggi and Pnudran.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

I hate that Edgar and Edward are both characters in these games because my stupid brain always confuses one for the other because the names are so similar.

To be fair Edward was "Gilbert" in the Japanese version!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, fairy tales that literally nobody ever talked about or had heard of until the Omega raid started.

Eh, that isn't true. "There are the stories of (legendary thing that is actually a FF reference)" are scattered throughout the entirety of FFXIV. Half of them turn out to be true which is just an excuse for a different kind of FF reference.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Didn't part of the Dragon War plot include

"I am the reincarnation of your true love, great dragon, so please heed me!"
"...you think you're WHAT? No, it doesn't work that way. Stop being creepy. Now, back to the story of who ate who's eyes and started this whole mess."

Pretty much. Shiva was convinced that she was a reincarnation but primals are just thought made flesh so it was just "nope, you're not Shiva, you just really wanted to be, get that poo poo out of here."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FFXIV is super open to playing it casually. The super heavy hardcore grinding is just people who have already finished the basic stuff and are filling out their logs. If you just want to see the story and keep up with basic content you can do that trivially.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

That's not surprising, since the SNES didn't even have diagonal directional input (fighting games were designed for arcade cabinets that had sticks, so their ports still give a poo poo about diagonals). I feel like doing the full motion with diagonal inputs is pretty important to execute the Blitzes quickly and reliably anyway, trying to be clever will just gently caress up the execution of things like 'trace a circle'.

It isn't about being clever. You just double tap a direction instead. It's like entering the konami code.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

All I know is the last time I did dungeons, I loaded in and three other high level players ran out way ahead, and as I was trying to catch up, it gave me a prompt to roll for loot and then it kicked me out to the world map and the quest was marked as ready to turn in. I'm not looking for a grueling experience, I just don't even know what you're even supposed to do in a dungeon because nobody wants to level sync, everyone just wants to blow through it at a high level at max speed so they can get their merit and hosed if the new player is lost.

You have to literally choose to unsync with a pre-made party. What you're stating could not have happened unless you chose it.

Edit: Even in an unsync'd party there are a minimum of three boss fights in every dungeon and short of using walk to go ahead you're going to catch up to the party quickly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

One of the big Smash leakers that's been right so far has suggested that another SE rep will make it in, but who knows who that will be. There's a good chance it could be Geno from Super Mario RPG since people won't shut the gently caress up about him and Geno's rights technically belong to SE.

Geno was also one of the Mii alternate costumes which so far have all been made characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I'd hope that a second S-E rep would have more of a Nintendo connection. Noctis hasn't even been on a Nintendo console yet, so I really hope it's not him (also I hate him and all his unlikeable friends that never shut up but that's different).

They literally announced Noctis coming to the Switch today as part of the Direct.

Cleretic posted:

Also that's actually... pretty bloody wrong. Outfits deconfirmed as characters already includes Dunban, Megaman X, Proto Man, Zero, Rathalos (I don't think your hopes were THAT high), Knuckles and Ashley, so your rule here is essentially totally made up.

My... rule? Okay? Do you have me mistaken for someone else?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Apparently Square-Enix doesn't, because one of the DLCs added an alternate ending, and there have been whispers of them adding in an official 'good ending'.

Sorry, guys, endings can't be good if the main character dies anymore. Apologies to Final Fantasy X, you now retroactively have a bad story, and congratulations to XIII-3 who is now to be considered the gold standard.

This is also good news for the Persona series, which will now have a bit less argument as to which game is the best now that Persona 3 is out by defintion.

I mean FFX eventually released a sequel where the main character came back to life at the end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

I didn't like XIII's rating system for fights either because it actively punishes slow careful play.

The issue with this (in a lot of games) is that slow and careful play is usually also extremely boring play and actively punishing it is one of the few ways to both include slower options without getting people to rely on them. It may sound dumb but people will actively refuse to use fun playstyles if there's a safe-and-effective style that is boring as poo poo and adding an incentive to use the faster playstyles is a must.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The big thing that the 13 AI doesn't allow you to do is focus on slow turtle strategies because the game is geared around rapid fire damage. This is arguably a flaw in the system if you like slow turtle strategies and that's a fair point, but it's also not one the game supports and honestly is arguably just playing the game badly. It's a winning strategy in the same way that doing nothing but firing Ebony and Ivory in Devil May Cry is a winning strategy: It works but it's incredibly slow and tedious and pointless.

Outside of that the game's AI generally performs optimal actions for their role. There are a few tricks you can do with manual control but most of those involving the main character (who in turn CAN be manually controlled.) There's some fine-tuning to the targeting system (something 13-2 improves) which can improve things but the honest truth is that FF13's system wants you to go as full offense as you reliably can and is geared around that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caidin posted:

Man I can't even remember what the gently caress was even happening in XIII-2, like we were time traveling to multiple alternate histories to stop the bad guy from destroying time except doing so let's him destroy time and Snow is fighting a giant Flan and is also a time cop(?) and Hope was the science king of man kind? And also I was doing this dressed like Commander Shepard?

And then in LR the villain is loving miserable because destroying time didn't solve any of his problems and I don't even know why he thought it would.

All three FFXIII games basically revolve around the characters going "man, being trapped in an endless cycle of misery sucks, sure would be nice if we could loving do something about it. It's basically all God's fault so presumably the solution is making God fix it" with everyone involved dealing with increasingly high tiers of divinity until Lightning murders God.

Unironically the basis for a really good story is there in the FF trilogy. It's basically an entire worldsetting of people who fate shits on who are struggling to find a way to break increasingly ridiculous lovely fates only to have the universe make it worse upon them. It would, genuinely, take very little to make the story a coherent and thematically interesting (if depressing as poo poo) story, which is why the areas where it fails are all the more frustrating.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Snow is just Zidane or Bartz in a setting where you can't be a hero and he owns.

To be more precise dude is a pretty blunt reference to Locke, right down to having a girlfriend in stasis and actually sharing some lines with him.