Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Fister Roboto posted:

Care to give a brief overview of how he made them bad and how they improved when he left? I've never played either game.

The person Dr Pepper is referring to is/was the Producer on both games, Hiromichi Tanaka. It's somewhat of a myth that he is "the source of all the problems" since the Producer is simply the person who oversee's the grand scope of the project, and simply gives approval towards decisions and designs created by the Design and Direction team. A lot of people claim that the flaws/bad design decisions/terrible gameplay aspects of both games were directly caused by Tanaka, which is really not entirely the case (Though he could be blamed for APPROVING them in most cases).

And for the brief overview it basically boils down to;

1) Tanaka is Producer on FF11 (from the start, and for a very long time, almost a decade)
2) FF11 begins to become stagnant for a long-period of time, with no transparency between Developers and the Community on upcoming changes.
3) Tanaka leaves the FF11 Team to work as Producer on the newly announced FF14
4) During his absence, FF11 sees a welcomed surge in new features, balance changes, and mini-expansions which became immensely popular and fun.
5) FF14 is released, and is a total utter and abysmal failure, both commercially and critically, for far too many reasons to list.
6) Tanaka is "respectfully removed" from the role as Producer on FF14 and is replaced by Naoki Yoshida.
7) Tanaka returns to the FF11 team as Producer once more
8) FF11's new content is "coincidentally" deemed bad by the community in comparison to the content created during Tanaka's absence. (Despite the Producer not being the one who designs the content...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Wasn't this :airquote:New:airquote: version of FF7 supposed to also come out for Steam?

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

In somewhat related news... you'll be able to play PSOne games on your Vita on Aug 28th.

One of the starting PSOne classics featured? None other than Final Fantasy 7 :pwn:

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Because not only is "Moms are tough" a cheesy line, but using it during a rebellion doubly so, then she dies not soon after and it becomes hilariously ironic. FFXIII is full of cheesy dialogue, but "Moms are tough" is definitely the one that stands out above the rest because it manages to be ridiculously silly in execution, context, delivery, and aftermath. "We are pets" and the Nebula of YOUR NAME MEANS HOPE dialogue don't even compared to that moment, though those are also very silly as well.

Maybe... "Moms are tough" sounded considerably less awful in Japanese...? Anyone know? Cause... yea, it was cringe-worthy for all the reasons you mention lol.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Now that I see it in motion, I hate Lightning's new outfit even more... Especially when Lightning steps off the train, looking like a veritable studded metal peacock attached with 7 different anime scarves, and the completely generic-looking female NPC does not even bat an eye.

The new Combat system seems pretty heavily revamped (the four face-buttons are mapped to attacks (?)), but still seems to keep the paradigm changing. I noticed three stances so far; Divinity (Attack, Guard, Thunder, Blitz), Cerberus (Heavy Slash, Light Slash, Blizzaga, Evade), and Enchanter (Imperil, Firaga, Lesser Guard, Thunder).

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 20, 2012

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I'm not even sure if it's worth mentioning at this point... But after checking the combat a little more I think I've noticed vaguely how it works.

Above the green HP meter you can see 3 teal colored meters shown as being 80/80. Those meters seem to be a sort of "action gauge" dedicated to each paradigm you have. Every attack Lightning does drains the meter (and pretty quickly judging from the trailer) of her active stance, and switching away to another stance will refill that stances meter while its benched. Sort of like a... fighting game?

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Some more news on Lightning Returns: FF13

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508521 posted:

New character for Lightning Returns revealed in Jump #1
Her name is Lumina. More information should come out of the Famitsu article next week.
She is a help and hindrance... looks somewhat like Serah. The description says she looks like a gothic lolita version of Serah...

The magazine also has some updates on Lightning's costumes. Known in the game as "Wear" Lightning can equip up to three at once and change between them in real time during battles. If you paid attention to the Jump Festa trailer, you might have caught a glimpse at one known as "Dark Muse." It's the one that has the grill-shaped shield, chap-like pants, a camouflage jacket and a knife. Her other outfit revealed looks similar to a samurai's armor and is called "Alone in the Dust." Lightning herself will have new magic and abilities such as guard and evade.

Quests can be retrieved from a bulletin board similar to Marks in FFXII. By completing quests you can extend the time left in the world.

Don't ask for scans either.

dress spheres and a gothic serah twin oh goodie.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

victrix posted:

[e...] Speaking of the story, essentially you can lop off everything about Vaan in the beginning and the last 5-10% of the game and you have a coherent story focused on a bunch of non teenage characters. It feels like the other stuff was slapped on there in the interest of having a 'relatable teenage icon' and 'a classic final villain'.

It feels that way because of exactly that. Vaan was literally shoehorned into the game as protagonist due to an upper-management veto for a 'relatable teenage icon' (against Matsuno's wishes).

It scares me a little (ok, a lot) to hear these kinds of decisions happening...

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I would play the poo poo out of a Vita release of FFX, FFXII, hell even X-2 (I liked the jobs)

God drat, yes.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Slider posted:

Another Final Fantasy 12 question(IZJS): I just got my first esper, Belias, and I remember reading somewhere that once you activate it on a character's license board, they gain bonus stats/abilities. Is this true for all espers? and how should I allocate them to my characters?

Esper blocks on the License grid act as literal "bridges" to otherwise inaccessible skill blocks on a jobs License grid. In IZJS, once a character/job learns an Esper, it will essentially break the potential bridge on other characters/jobs rendering those skills inaccessible forever. (There is also a maximum 3 Esper limit per character, so you gotta plan carefully. nvm I confused myself! ty Schwartzcough)

There isn't really a guide to allocating Espers, it's more something you've just gotta plan for yourself based on your team composition.

In the case of Belias (click me for FAQ URL);
- Archer: None
- Black Mage: None
- Breaker: Horology
- Hunter: None
- Knight: Potion Lore 1
- Machinist: None
- Monk: None
- Red Mage: None
- Samurai: Libra
- Time Mage: None
- Uhlan: None
- White Mage: None

So generally you'd want to give Belias to either your Breaker, Knight, or Samurai (or no one...). In this case, giving Belias to any other job won't give access to a bridge to new abilities/stats.

So say for example you gave Belias to your Samurai so he could learn Libra, your Knight will never be able to learn Potion Lore 1, and your Breaker Horology.

e:f,b lol

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 14, 2013

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

pretend to care posted:

In addition to the gameplay enhancements, is it necessary to have played XIII to completion? I suppose I could probably just find a story synopsis somewhere, anyway.

There's a beginners primer in FFXIII-2 which recaps the entire story of FFXIII, so no it's not really necessary to have played it to completion. Hilariously enough, it summarizes the story of FFXIII more clearly than the actual game did.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Levantine posted:

The only complaint I've ever really seen vocalized against Evermore is that it wasn't Secret of Mana. I thought it was a fabulous game at the time with wonderfully dark atmosphere. I still replay it to this day.

The only complaint, in relation to Secret of Mana, that I have ever had with Evermore was why didn't they allow it to be played 2 players.

I still remember my young self renting the game with my friend (who had also gone through all of Secret of Mana in co-op with me), getting to the pre-historic era and hitting start on player 2 expecting the little [2] icon to appear on the Dog's portrait... but it never did.

:negative:

Apart from that Evermore is stellar.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Also one of my favorite parts about Evermore was all the extremely obtuse little secrets, like Sting and randomly finding chocobo eggs in bushels of rice and the weird trading quests. And multiple confusing mazes. Also the dog was OP as all hell. Of course then they threw a boss at you like halfway through who the dog can't reach and is hard as hell. And of course the dumb meta-humor. I wish that game would get a VC release with two player :swoon:

Speaking of obtuse secrets, I discovered recently that the strange skeleton in that rowboat, who can bring you across the desert instantly instead of arduously having to go by foot, will outright reject taking you if you've named your main character something profane, even if you got the item he wants... :aaa:

More games need to do that.

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 22, 2013

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Maybe I'm alone on this, but I enjoyed those "inner monologue chat boxes" that Squall had in FF8.

I mean, the things he was thinking were pretty redundant and brooding for the most part, but the actual idea and mechanic behind it, I found that to be pretty interesting. I'm honestly a little surprised that Square-Enix never bothered trying it again after FF8, since being able to hear the inner-thoughts of a pivotal character seems like an interesting way to add character development.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Goons, a moment of your time to shift over to merchandise talk.

I'm looking for some suggestions to buy a :black101: kickass FF themed statue (made with PVC, Resin, that sort of thing).

No, not like this...

More like these...

:eyepop:

So please share your statues, or any that you know of, preferably with links on where to order :phone:

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Mega64 posted:

They're not statues, but I did just spend $40 on neat FF6 swag.
These are both awesome :swoon:

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Red Mage, and it's trademark abilities (Redx2 (ie: Double (ie: Dualcast))), are cool and good in nearly every FF/spin-off game that it's appeared in, with the exception of FFV where it's still a good job but overshadowed by jobs who literally break the game in half.

FFTA's and FFTA2's version had Double Cast which was a disgusting game-breaking ability which even let you ignore Laws.
Bravely Default's had full-team BP Recovery combos which let you give the whole party 4 BP a turn, while also being great at physical and support magic damage/healing.
FF3 (remake) were amazing for practically the entire game until near the end when other jobs skyrocket.
FF11 they were mandatory to bring to every event in the game for years for their buffs and enfeebles, while also being solo gods.
FF12's IZJS they're one of the top jobs to pick for your back line while also being able to be offensive (being the only job with access to Death isn't to shabby either).
I didn't even play FF:Dimensions, but I imagine double-cast there is just as game-breaking as it is in other games.

So not sure where all the "Red mages are universally mediocre" comments comes from. That job owns.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

In Training posted:

It's funny to me that the OP of this 1300 page thread has 50 posts in it over the course of like 4 years.

hi I like final fantasy, whats your favorite final fantasy? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

This thread can never have too many moogles.

Riko Kupenreich from FFXI - A Moogle Kupo D'Etat