Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no you see, final fantasy was much more involved when i had to mash x to attack with everyone, as opposed to everyone attacking on their own until i tell them otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

but you do have to mash x in 13 and thats the problem

yeah i agree but people act like the thing i said, is the problem

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

solution: make the game more difficult so that you have to do things other than attack
even in a difficult system there will be times where you want to just attack or have some other course of action set up. Like even in an SMT game or Etrian Odyssey or whatever you probably fall into, for example,

Protag: Strongest physical attack skill
Demon 1: Buff everyone's attack/defense, otherwise strongest physical attack
Demon 2: Strongest Magical Attack
Demon 3: Media/Diarama

If you have this plan of action set up, and only need to change it when the circumstances of the battle change (such as a party member getting ko'd or hit by a status effect, or the boss changing forms), I don't really see the difference between letting you set this up to be an automated course of action until you tell it otherwise and having to mash x to go through each action indvidually even if you want to do the exact same thing you've been doing for the past seven turns. It's impossible to make a turn-based combat system where every single turn requires a unique course of action.

edit: also chrono trigger's system is worse than random encounters because it's basically scripted random encounters, in other words in a random encounter system there's a chance you won't get into the same fight seventeen times while you're running back and forth between rooms trying to figure out the dungeon, while in chrono trigger it's guaranteed you'll get into the same fight seventeen times.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im glad the ff7 remake is action-based, ive already played a turn-based ff7. it was called ff7. if i ever want to play an atb version of ff7 at any point in my next 60 years of life, i can go play a game called ff7. id rather a remake that actually changes stuff and is a noticeably different game than just ff7 but with ps4 models instead of ps1 models. one actually contributes something, the other is just a facelift.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean, they probably will also be rewriting a lot of FF7. I am interested to see what they do with that. I play games that aren't FF7, and the FF7 remake isn't FF7. Nobody gets mad about film remakes because they're shot using different cameras.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

frankly i think ff7r should be an action game because ive never seen anyone complaining about the lack of atb that wasn't insufferable

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only people who hated ff13 were turbonerds on the internet who have played every final fantasy. it's pretty popular with casual fans or younger people., save for people who get their opinions from said turbonerds. acting like ff13 was publicly reviled and loathed is pretty insane when tons of people were super into it for years after its release.

also the only problem with the terms in ff13 are the fact that they sound kind of samey, they're all perfectly explained and anyone who had issues figuring out what they meant was just blatantly not even trying to give the game's plot a fair shake.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yes, we are, but my point is that this thread is not the hall of public opinion

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

I'm glad to know that all the things people didn't like were imaginary and it's actually perfect
FF13 is an average game at best and a pretty bad one 90% of the time. There are tons of valid criticisms of the game. Literally the only two things I expressed in that post are

1) There are lots of people who liked it and still like it, so acting like it was publicly reviled is stupid.
2) The terminology isn't the problem with the plot.

Vargatron posted:

I guess I would have liked it better if there was more self awareness there but I felt like the devs treated the plot as 100% serious.
ff13 lr has so many jokes that it is almost a complete comedy. lightning spends the entire game as either the butt of the joke or groaning at how stupid the people around her are. 'I'm only here for the steak.'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

rare double edit: people are so delusional about FF13 that they insisted I would like THAT game if I just kept playing it, once you get to Gran Pulse the game gets so good and is so much better but the 20 hours building up to it are boring, sure! they told me. I originally stopped playing after reaching Gran Pulse, but decided to keep going and beat the game just so I could tell people that yes I beat it and yes I still hated it. I do not trust the opinion of anyone who tells me they enjoyed FF13.

lol

Meridian posted:

It's okay to not like video games.
its also okay to like video games

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*whilst making GBS threads self violently* actually, the ff7 remake won't be finished :smuggo:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kelp Me! posted:

tbh I always thought RPG was kind of a dumb term. Like, aren't you playing a role in virtually every game with a plot?

I understand the origin of the term is rooted in the similarity of video game RPGs to their tabletop predecessors, but the end result is that it's an extremely nebulous and poorly-defined term, leading to arguments like "is this Final Fantasy game actually an RPG?"

i first saw this question posed at the start of a quest 64 FAQ so its impossible for me to take seriously, sorry

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

vaan and penelo are the best characters in ff12

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only good final fantasies are x-2 and 13-3

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

FF8 is literally FF: High School Anime Drama Edition and it's loving awful sorry.

Hey check out how cool I am I stated my opinion as a fact and maybe I should've gotten rid of the capital letters and punctuation for maximum poo poo post meltdown bait.
lol

fruitpunch posted:

I want to finish up XV before I move on to XII, I'm at (i think) the last chapter, and I'm just doing some clean up but i can feel the tedium setting in. Is there any absolutely essential stuff, sidequests etc, that i shouldn't miss before I just go and run to the end of the game?
the post-game dungeon is pretty fun imo but that's, uh, post-game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

A fan attendance described Cloud’s new design as a more natural look. Nomura and Hamaguchi mentioned that “while Cloud may look this way, he was a dork. I believe those of you who played the the original would understand what I mean by saying he’s a dorky character.” That said, we’ll see more of the youthful side of Cloud rather than the always-serious one we’ve seen more outside of the original game."

im glad they ermembered the plot of ff7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people compare lightning to cloud but shes a lot more like barret in terms of personality in the japanese version, send tweet.