Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kanfy posted:

He does in fact use the word for friend/companion rather than ally in the original. It's a pretty casual tone too, like "we won't become buddies, huh".

That's interesting to know, thanks. I wonder why they changed it for the PC version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The real answer is FFVIII is badly written game.

If you need a totally unfairly oppressed supervillain in your FF, there's Seymour.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yes, his backstory was the racist Guado kicked him and his mom out to some godforsaken land and then his mom literally said to lil' Seymour "the only way the people will accept you is if you die AKA defeat Sin."

He then grew up to have a lot of issues to the surprise of no one.

It's a straight tale of bigotry and racism unlike Ultimecia's weird time travel bullshit.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

bobjr posted:

Do they ever say how Seymour came back and was accepted again? Or did he just summon Anima once and people figured going against him was a bad idea

It's never really explained beyond the Guado were racist and anti-Yevon until Jyscal made them pro-Yevon and thus less racist to humans. It took him several years to accomplish this so who knows what he did to finally convince them but the damage was obviously done by the time Seymour was allowed to return.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I had a good time watching that guy from Kotaku go through FFVII and highlight a bunch of different translation stuff. I'm sad he appears to only want to do Disk 1 but oh well.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So in FFVI was it all part of Kefka's plan to get the power of the Statues? Like, he was planning to attain Godhood all along and everything went according to plan or was he winging it?

I never really understood that part of the plot. Were both he and I guess the Emperor just using Espers temporarily until they could get at the Goddess' power?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

I mean, the Empire was using the Espers they captured (both from the Esper world years ago and during the Thamasacre) to conquer the world. Then when Terra got the Espers to open the barrier to the Esper world, it just so happened to give Gestahl the opportunity to reach the petrified gods and access the source of all magic. And then I think Kefka decided he'd rather just have the power himself because he really wanted to barbecue Celes.

Gotcha. I couldn't really remember. So it was all just kind of a stroke of horrifically bad luck for the world and good luck for the baddies.

That's interesting. Usually the villain has some giant overarching scheme for godhood that takes all game. Kefka just happened upon it. Makes him unique, I think.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 7, 2019

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

HOPE, YOUR NAME IS HOPE

doesn't she literally say those exact words at some point in 13-1

Yes. I was wondering if it was somehow more profound in Japanese, like his name is the English word Hope so in Japanese it might sound a bit less dumb.

Sort of like if, I dunno, you pointed at the hypothetical Latin origins of somebody's name and said "this perfectly fits who you are."

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I remember getting recommended to try FFVI Brave New World however many months ago now and I liked it a lot. I also just found this several months old announcement about a BNW 2.0
http://ngplus.net/index.php?/forums/topic/772-coming-soon-brave-new-world-20/

i thought about copy/pasting it all but holy poo poo there are going to be a ton of changes and it's just too much to copy over here.

I'd certainly give it a shot, though. The hack finally got me to beat FFVI and it was awesome.

And thanks Mega64 for suggesting it because I'm pretty sure it was you.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Who is your preferred FFVI team?

For a long time in BNW I used Setzer because he has an easy party heal and does decent damage. But I feel like I dropped him in the end for Strago who is great at everything. I always used Celes because she's my favorite character in the game. Same for Cyan.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I play a lot of FF mods but what is the one thing people here never stop making fun of? It was some character in some FFVII retrranslation that completely replaced Cait Sith with another character. I'm trying to remember the name of the new character.

I don't think the mod was ever even finished or whatever but just the concept and name of the whole thing is pretty hysterical.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

For all the faults with 4DS, it is the only game I know that rewards me for filling in map squares and so I'll always appreciate it.

Persona 2 Eternal Punishment does this.

And as good as the rewards are, it is incredibly loving tedious.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So not only is Snow in Dissidia, it's the worst Snow. They didn't pick his most "iconic' look from the original XIII, they didn't pick his rad 80s look from XIII-2, they picked LR Snow.

Also LR Snow is a bad guy. I sure as gently caress hope this doesn't mean they finally settled on a XIII Antagonist Rep and it's loving Snow instead of Caius.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Snow is just Zidane or Bartz in a setting where you can't be a hero and he owns.

Pretty much. Snow would probably be a fan favorite in any other game. It makes me think back to ten years ago and thet weird "Zack is actually better than Cloud" sentiment that popped up because AC Cloud and CC Zack got people all confused. (sorta like how people preferred Naked Snake to Solid Snake for a time because MGS3 was way better than MGS4. Thank God that also seems to have passed just like the Zack fandom) People wanted a nice, happy hero and there's Snow right there.

Snow is just a dude who wants to save his girlfriend and everyone else and gently caress the cyberpolice and robopope.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tellah's awesome because he drops Meteors on Golbez's head.

Everybody likes Galuf when he just copied Tellah in being a badass old dude who dies fighting the villain.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

S.J. posted:

After FF7 remake sells a billion copies the only reasonable thing to do is remake FF 1, 4, 5, 6, 8, and 9. Naturally

I'd be down for an FFV and VI remake.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

~final fantasy viii-2~

tempest leonheart is a vagabond busker. he couch surfs from town to town and hopes that the goodwill of his friends from balamb garden won't run dry. he is generally directionless, but fortunately seems to have inherited his grandfather's good nature.

then one day, he meets free mumia almasy, the daughter of his father's One Who Got Away.......

Guessing Rinoa dumped his rear end.

I always said she was smarter than people give her credit for.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the guy who made the really good mod for FF7, New Threat, is making one for FF8 so I'm gonna replay it when it comes out

I am also eagerly awaiting this. FFVIII had a lot of good ideas but its execution was horrible. Hopefully with his awesome attention to detail and skill, he can make FFVIII as good as it should have been, at least in the gameplay department.--

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Does she have some sort of status effect? I don't recognize the stuff floating around her head at all.

Also who knew bosses wee even vulnerable to status effects in FFIX. I definitely did not.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I totaly forgot this is the 20th anniversary of Final Fantasy VIII, too. I was more focused on Chroo Cross and replaying it. But now I think on it....
-both released in 1999
-both from Square
-both on the PS1
-both pretty iconic in spite of being fairly controversial
-both follow-ups to incredibly popular games which probably made the criticisms all the more harsh
-both probably tried too many things and subsequently failed a lot of them.

CC is still a much better game in every area I can think of.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Wendell posted:

All the bullshit associated with Razzly makes me so....CROSS.

Apart from the fact everyone loves Glenn, maybe the Razzly stuff is also why everybody told me to leave Kid to die on my first run.

Wanna give my little opinion on FFVIII vs. CC in terms of battle system.
FFVIII has one of the worst battle systems I've ever seen while CC has my all time favorite JRPG battle system. FFVIII committed the unforgivable sin of introducing level scaling for the first time in an FF game...for the one FF game where levels don't matter at all. The game is designed around Junctioning and that's where your real stat gains come from. Leveling is actively discouraged. So why the smurf does it have level scaling? Playing the game is detrimental to your enjoyment of the game. It is of course also legendarily broken and easy. Get Siren/Life RF on your 5 free Tents/Junction Curaga to HP and never die again. All within about 3 hours or so?

Chrono Cross meanwhile did so many things I loved. It had gated levels and stat gains so you couldn't just grind your way passed an obstacle. The Stamina and Field system meant you had to plan your next few moves in advance and couldn't just spam super moves like, I dunno, Limit Breaks. Speaking of which, the whole "use an Element and it's gone" feature as well as how limited your options are for reviving characters also demanded more strategy than normal. A minor thing but the three different type of melee attacks kept fights from being overly monotonous X mashing. Like others I wish there were more Double and Triple Techs and a greater diversity in party member abilities. But, well, that's not much of a factor when going up against FFVIII which has zero diversity in gameplay between characters.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Wendell posted:

I like the way Chrono Cross’ town NPCs speak. There’s a wistfulness to a lot of their dialogue, like the old man who speaks to his dead wife before remembering she’s gone.

Last time I played the game I thought I was paying enough attention to all the NPCs but then towards the end of the game I looked up a list of all the Rainbow Shells in the game and discovered I had missed several people you can repeatedly chat with and watch them grow like the one girl in Arni who wants to be.. gently caress I can't even remember, a poet maybe? Anyway, stuff like that is really cool and neat.

I never did figure out if you can do anything in Arni at the end of the game. I think it was Another Arni where they are all hold up and hiding and are like "only citizens of the village can come in!" And I brought Leena because, duh. But nope, nothing doing. Maybe I missed something or did something wrong, I never knew.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I guess I can be forgiven for forgetting about FFVIII's 20th anniversary since, according to many angry videos and articles, so has Square. I don't particularly like the game but it had its good parts and I don't begrudge fans for writing pieces on places like Polygon or taking to YouTube to praise it on this special occasion.

I just hope that, between Mitsuda's concert tour for the game and also the 20th anniversary, Chrono Cross gets the same outpouring of affection. I don't care if the Ghost Kids Beach Scene Info Dump is literally the worst thing I've ever see in any JRPG ever, I still love the game. I've talked about this before but I grew up with the PS1 and PS2 and JRPGs and all anybody said was Chrono Cross is one of the best games ever. Then I play it a few years ago, love it, and see a ton of people vehemently hate it.

It got good reviews back in the day, too so it wasn't just dumb kids being dumb.Then again, for all the weight reviews have, look at all the rave reviews, GOTY and perfect scores Final Fantasy XII got I love FFXII but even when it was released it seemed to get almost none of the attention that, say, FFX or FFXIII got and its legacy has certainly been less profound than theirs as well.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mega64 posted:

My favorite dragoon is Ricard, a guy who tries to move in on his dead friend's family, even asking the son to call him "Daddy". Then he dies because FF2.

Then two games later we have Kain lusting over his best friend's girlfriend. And then Cid Highwind's abusive relationship.

The moral is never get in a relationship with a Dragoon.

Then in FFIX Freya and Fratley have the most tragic and forgotten romance for literally the entire game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Don't Mog and Edgar count as Dragoons?

I like Jump so everything else is irrelevant anyway.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ashe taking center stage because she's the main character. I approve.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I have known people who think Squall is a great protagonist, sort of the Shinji Ikari of Final Fantasy where he's hated for being emotional and vulnerable instead of a hardcore badass. I guess there's a tiny amount of merit to this idea as I have always maintained FFVIII had a lot of cool things in it but the execution is terrible. It's truly awful Squall and friends are child soldiers but the game isn't bold enough to commit to this.

Fans Online: They are trained to KILL! It's a very heavy and real piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSt-fNv5d68

They go to a loving high school, that's it. There's more drama about Zell not getting hotdogs than his angst about being a child soldier.

Squall has "real" problems I guess but his development is so hamfisted and you can't really relate to it. Tidus had real problems too with regards to his alcoholic and abusive father and a mother who didn't pay him enough attention. It's done better than this. And Cloud has a ton of depth in his own journey even if it is explicitly more fantastical. Wrapped up in all that stuff about Spirit Energy and alien cells was the story of a dorky, isolated kid who just wanted to be a hero and impress a girl.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 19, 2019

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

JBP posted:

I've never played 13 because of the bad press and also not assigning the time to it. I've got it on PC I should play it. Do you need to grind much or can you just get railroaded through? I don't want to put in 40 hours or something then hit a tedium barrier.

Grinding is pointless as stat and ability progression is restricted to story and boss progress. Well, you can start grinding once you get through about 80% of the game but it's optional. For my last run I did a lot of grinding but I didn't do it on my first run. Oddly, one boss (Barthandelus 2) was significantly harder on the run where I grinded. I dunno why.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 21, 2019

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

zedprime posted:

FF8 makes complete and total sense. It might be the only coherent time travel story ever told.

I always did think Chrono Trigger was overrated given our heroes go instantly from "tinkering with time travel has severe consequences" to "let's just gently caress over time completely!"

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 21, 2019

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Barudak posted:

The best ending is when Dalton vows revenge on you and plans to raise an army in Porre to defeat you all and then Magus gets his memory wiped.

And then you start a rock band.

Or, alternatively, Not Schala conquer the world because she's a better protagonist than the actual one.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Leal posted:

I think its overrated cause it makes people hate on Good Game Chrono Cross because it wasn't just Chrono Trigger.

That is also a problem, yes.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Both Xenogears and Chrono Cross got screwed over by FFVIII.

Earning my eternal resentment.

Well the Xenogears thing is just a rumor but yeah, FFVIII is certainly the worst of those three games by a lot.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Phantasium posted:

yeah I love all that poo poo. also the dungeon that is just the timeline you deleted by saving the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOSrK7plwg0

And then a fisherman kicks your rear end.

Apparently there's a theory Miguel is Crono somehow.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Final Fantasy VIII New Threat has been released! Disk 1 anyway
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=18635.0

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rirse posted:

Probably not the best idea, but I want to give the DS Final Fantasy III (on Steam) a shot after I am done with IX (at Memoria so end game). I grabbed the hud mod that has a less grind version so that should help out a lot. I know this game still has issues, but going to be played along with my almost complete ongoing save in FF13 (just beat the jerk in the tower in Gran Pulse last time I played last month).

As somebody who has only played FF3D on Steam 1 & 1/4 time and never touched the original, I liked it. Not great but I had fun. Some really cool music, Red Mages are badass, what more could I ask for.

Dark Knight sucks though. You won't be getting it for a while but its only benefit is using HP you don't have. You want to be as close to full HP as possible at all times so the Dark Knight having a skill that drains HP for extra damage is pretty poo poo.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

OK based on a google search it looks like this was a DS only thing? And also it's completely hidden from the player? What the gently caress SE :psyduck:

Tons of RPGs have hidden mechanics. I remember learning about the Crisis Level system in FFVIII and exploiting it to win in a hard mod.

Nobody ever tells you about that poo poo in the actual game despite the fact it has a huge impact on Quistis' Limit Breaks.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BrightWing posted:

The what now?

There's something like four levels of Crisis that determine how powerful your Limit Breaks are. This matters a lot with Quistis because if she has Crisis Level 4 when she does Bad Breath she puts more status effects on the target than if she was only at 1. In the mod I played the Vitality 0 status effect was only possible if you used the correct Crisis Level of her limit break Acid because, like Bad Breath, its status effects also varied depending on CL. Aura was similarly hard to get so you had to get the right Crisis Level for Mighty Guard in order for her to apply it along with the other buffs.

CL is effected by things such as low HP, status ailments on you, other party members being KO'ed, etc.. Basically in the final boss fight I'd wait for Griever to use a super move to lower her HP very low then put Pain on her (Blind, Silence and Poison) to increase her CL as much as possible. Crisis Level 4 Shockwave Pulsar does something like 20,000 damage IIRC.

I had no idea about it either until the mod made me research it. There is a lot of cool stuff in FFVIII's gameplay but it's so piss easy and broken you'll never see it.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 26, 2019

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tall Tale Teller posted:

And also the XII soundtrack is one of the best in the series.

I just ripped off my shirt fight me.

There isn't a bad FF soundtrack. FFXII is no exception and its music very good. Battle For Freedom is one of the best final boss themes in the series.

The "worst" FF soundtrack is X-2's which has a few great pieces, a lot of nothing, and the worst song of all time in its version of the Chocobo Theme.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Don Gato posted:

Or just have gackt. Not even trying to integrate him as Genesis, just gackt showing up at random points in the background.

Onmi posted:

Black the Black was peak Nomura's Visual Kei phase which I am very glad he's over because seriously look at that.

Malice Mizer reunion to celebrate FFVIIR. It would be a hit as I'm sure fans of the extremely 90s JRPG would love extremely 90s J-Rock.

Also both of them are just really good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKsHArT7Gm8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It depends. Who is the villain of FFXII? Vayne? Venat? The Empire as a whole?

In any event, Vayne is far and away the worst villain of all major villains in that game. Gabranth and Dr. Cid far outshine him.

If we get into more minor villains, the choices become more plentiful. Like, President Deling was a schmuck. Emperor Gestahl, too.