Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I hope there isn't a FFXIII-3. Not just because I'm bored of the universe and I don't particularly want a continuation but also because I think it'd be pretty ballsy on SE's part to leave the ending as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

Wait, wait, wait. What? What?!

Also, since when are any numbered Final Fantasy games in the same universe?

On the way to final boss, the party encounter some bosses from FF VI such as Ultros, Ultima Weapon, Doom Gaze and the Ghost Train. But I thought they were just cameos? Much like Ultros in FF XIII-2 is just cameo DLC? As for numbered Final Fantasy games in the same universe, supposedly FF VII and FF X take place in different worlds on the same universe according to an Ultimania guide but that just seems like an asspull by the writers that connects the most popular game west with the most popular game in Japan to me.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

You can change guest characters' gambits in IZJS?

Yes, as well as directly control them if need be. Same with Espers. You can't change guest characters' equipment though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

No X-2 sidequest is as annoying and crappy as lightning dodging or chocobo racing in X. I mean don't get me wrong, X-2 is a flawed game and the sidequests can be annoying. But none of the sidequests really pissed me off quite as much as lightning dodging or chocobo racing in X did.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

How is Final Fantasy Dimensions? I've heard it was similar to Final Fantasy V, which I loved. Is it worth picking up?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Square's first mistake was making Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I didn't mind the Cloisters. If the game kept throwing random battles at you while doing them then yeah, I'd dislike them.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I feel like playing V again but with a fresh twist to it, does anybody here have good ideas for a gimmick run?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I figured that with the sudden influx of posts, it'd either be new content or arguing about XIII again.

I'm excited for X/X-2 HD mostly for X-2 than X. I've always felt that X-2 had the most fun gameplay in the series and at least some of it was rather tongue in cheek, something that XIII could have probably done with. The International additions sound great also while X's International additions are just kind of there.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

For what it's worth, FF14 has the best localization out of any game I have ever played.

The localization of FF14 almost reminds me of Nier in a way. It feels much more natural than normal for Square-Enix RPGs.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

What I want to know is if the music is still the lovely MIDI format of the original release or have Square wised up after enough people complained about FF 7?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/68045/final-fantasy-x-3-a-possibility-says-ffx-scenario-writer-kazushige-nojima

So... Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy X?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Well the current rumors of X-3 are something.

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2013/12/final-fantasy-xx-2-hd-remaster-voice-drama-spoilers-leak-out-suggest-sequel-is-inevitable/

Potential spoiler for voice drama added in the remaster:On one hand Tidus and Yuna breaking up is kind of funny, on the other hand that and Sin returning completely invalidates the previous games in my opinion.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Maybe this Sin will be Jenova.
Since apparently the universes are connected according to some dumb Ultimania thing.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Oh God the rumors were true.
If X-3 were to be made, it'd invalidate the previous two games if it follows off from this.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

Is there a summary to the summary? I haven't beaten either game, so it just sounds like gibberish.

Don't worry, it sounds like gibberish to those who have played X and X-2.
What the gently caress are you thinking Square-Enix?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

X-2 probably would be my favorite game in the series if the fanservice crap wasn't in it.
Perhaps because a lot of the game was more based on the world and the troubles characters have in life, it made them more likable than anything X did.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Wait, I thought reality got warped so that the fantasy stuff essentially became real?
I think the game would have made it's point better if they were all just living an illusion as opposed to literally changing reality.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So while XIII was obnoxious and XIII-2 was incomprehensible, you're saying Lightning Returns is so stupid that it somehow comes back around to being good?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Was this posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIAW4HBPicY&hd=1

Lara Croft's outfit for Lightning as DLC.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

For all of Final Fantasy XIII-2's numerous flaws, Chronobind from the Sazh DLC is awesome fun.

I don't suppose anyone made a fan made online version you can play?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dimensions is a fun game but I picked it up at a discount; not sure it's worth the current asking price.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I thought Mystic Quest was a fun, relaxing game.

I don't know. XIII-2 has a lot of problems yes including some tedious sidequests but I can't bring myself to dislike it more than XIII which bored the hell out of me because there was nothing to the game but the combat system and pretty visual corridors that quickly become very dull visually looking corridors with annoying characters talking about how they need to keep running and save Cocoon for the entire game.

What are the sidequests like in Lightning Returns? Does the game's dungeons or combat areas feel as gated as the demo implied?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Playing through XIII-2 again and it is frustrating because it should have been a good game. Like, stupid plot aide there are a lot of cool things but for every cool thing there is something that is tedious, unfun bullshit. Like Academia 400 AF and getting into encounters every two seconds, or the sudden difficulty swerve in the final act. With a few tweaks here and there the game would actually be good.

It feels like the game was pushed out before it was polished and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case because Square-Enix needed to make as much money as they could as quickly as they could because of XIV's complete failure.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Saigyouji posted:

Ugh, Academia 400 AF is terrible. Who the hell thought this was a good idea?

I suspect it was made before the Mog Clock was implemented and they were still running on XIII's encounter system instead. Getting into a battle every three seconds is the goddamn worst though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It's funny, I don't think I ever 100% completed FF X. I don't remember tinkering with Blitzball much or bother powering up everyone's ultimate weapons or the monster arena. I did manage to beat the game though.

I assume taking part in Blitzball and the monster arena especially is how to grind to fight the Dark Aeons?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Did they ever patch out the glitch that makes Blitzball easy as pie? Where you score a goal and then just hide behind your own goal and nobody will confront you and you wait until the time runs out?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

"Believe" is a beautiful song for that FMV where Yuna falls off the ledge.

Maybe i should ask this in the Tales thread but is Symphonia a good place to start the franchise? Just, I hear lots of love for Xillia, then someone was like it wasn't so great, and I dunno.

Xillia is good, it's just a bit incomplete and rushed. Which is probably why Xillia 2 exists.
Tales of Symphonia is alright but I do think a lot of the love it receives has to do with nostalgia than due to it's own merits.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Terper posted:

Hildebrand. :downs:

There definitely needs to be a true gentleman to round out the Dissidia cast, I agree.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Endorph posted:

Well yeah but half the time Let's Players talking about how terrible games' plots are are taking issue with things that actually are explained, plainly, instead of the poo poo that actually doesn't make sense.

That or talking about how terribly anime they are and how much they hate JRPGs, which makes me question why they are even doing a Let's Play of a JRPG to begin with.

Not that I'm defending XIII-2 or anything but just, JRPGs in general seem to be treated like that on the LP forum.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/06/05/something-related-to-final-fantasys-lighting-to-appear-on-famitsu-after-e3/

I'm getting tired of her.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

bloodychill posted:

It's a polarizing game. If after a few hours it doesn't gel for you, it's probably not going to.

Personally, I found the hunts, exploration, and voice work to be the strong points of the game. If those don't do it for you, I can't say there's much else for you. The characters are hit/miss, the story is decent but not great, and the battle system is just OK as well, though if you like the idea of building party AI, there's a decently built if-else system (the gambits) you might find interesting.

But like I said, if the game isn't doing it for you a few hours in, it probably just won't.

On the other hand I was one of those types who hated XII when it first came out but later came to like it years later. It really depends on what you're looking out of an RPG, because after the linearity of XIII, XII felt like a breath of fresh air.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also I think SE disowned Ivalice

They disowned Ivalice but not whatever the mess FF 13 and it's sequels take place in?
What the gently caress SE.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Apparently it wasn't a C&D but something worse. Might have been a court order with the intention to sue if its worse than a cease and desist.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm conflicted because on one hand SE are within their right to do this but on the other hand I've grown really bitter and spiteful towards SE for forcing an awful character like Lightning for an entire console generation on the fanbase and not bothering to localize games like Dragon Quest 7, as well as releasing Type 0 HD on PS4 at $70.

Kind of hard not to be a bit annoyed after that.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Its really just Dragon Quest at this point which interests me. Was never a huge fan of Kingdom Hearts and nothing about FF XV really interests me so far, on top if having rather low expectations because of the Lightning trilogy.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Endorph posted:

Square-Enix did those things specifically to annoy you, as opposed to, you know, to try and make money.

Yeah but Lightning Returns sold like poo poo and the game SE didn't want to bring over and it was left for Nintendo to do so, Bravely Default, sold very well so it's not like Square Enix are very good at trying to make money lately either. Then there's the unrealistic expectations of Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider that they'd sell CoD levels and were written off as a financial loss despite having respectable sales numbers.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I always assumed mobile gaming in Japan was more for 3DS and Vita than smartphones but I could be wrong.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Barudak posted:

FFVIII prequel trilogy. The best part is literally every bit of it can conflict with FFVIII and it'd still fit.

One of those games would be Laguna's Excellent Adventure and I'm ok with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Maybe a Dragon Quest prequel where you play as a young Dragonlord who gets rejected by the Princess and turns evil.