Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Anyone give the dissidia mobile game a shot? The reviews aren't pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I'm only in chapter 2 but the dissidia mobile game seems alright. Makes you take a second to consider turn order and enemies targets before you can let loose. I like it.

14 wins all arguments forever yes, but for the current one I would bring in Type 0. Though maybe it's a product of just having a massive cast.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Faris's pirate speak was silly but good, like FF 5.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Doesn't Squall admit later he totally knows how to dance, he just didn't want to?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
The secret to 12 is that it's fairly easy of grindy. The job system works best imo if you just go with your gut and roll with everything from there.

Min max your low level game. (Don't play low level)

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

ROFL Octopus posted:

Dragon Quest VIII might be up your alley. Unarmed has some really insane skills and passives in that game.

I keep meaning to do an unarmed play through of that. Maybe I'll use it as an excuse to grab the 3ds version.

Monk in 12 has some synergy with... black mage iirc? Monk has some equipment access that BLM really wants, and it gives your BLM a decent physical backup option.

But again, do whatever sounds good, I did 1 of each job mostly to satiate my own ocd about the subject (I partied MCH with WHM for the record). Was it ideal? Not really, but guns don't care about your armor choices and WHM doesn't really need the healing boost from rods imo. I did kinda miss aoe Cure though, that was the real easy mode.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Your Computer posted:

So uh... I might've just done that to get Ninja Swords 1. Does that mean I'll have to skip one of the later tiers?

Yup. Probably the middle tier one so you can still have access to the super weapons. Daggers + shield is really good imo so I usually just sick with that.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

mandatory lesbian posted:

You know for a game in a series called final fantasy the conversation between tidus and jecht at the end of 10 was incredibly real

Very this.

I like Terra, she has a neat sprite, great equipment options, and great magic.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
FF 12 would be cooler with more moments like the Vossler boss. That whole bit says a lot about the party it's great.

Actually my dream version of ff 12 would involve giving like a tales or xenoblade treatment and make the party way chattier. Your stuck with these 6 doofuses all game and they go through hell and everywhere in between together, you'd think they'd buddy up after a while. Maybe add an affinity system too that boosts quickening rates or something as your party fights together more.

It maybe I'm just a sucker for teamwork mechanics. It's just weird these guys go all over Ivalice on this mission and don't ever hardly interact.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

seiferguy posted:

ilu agrias

:eyepop: Wowza!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Dalmasca as a whole is very lax on amount of skin showing in any given outfit.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
To get repeatedly dunked on you mean :allears:

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

WaltherFeng posted:

Little rough, don't you think?

I could live an entire year communicating only in RE4 quotes

Writhe in my cage of torment my friend.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Bloodplay it again posted:

Yeah, it was invisible. I picked up Excalibur and my party lead was just kinda stuck on an invisible wall when I tried to run forward, so I hit A again and picked up another item, which happened to be the OP shield. The only other invisible chest I've run into (on the deck of an airship) gave me 10 gil.

That chest on the airship has the lol op Seitengrant (sp) bow in it at stupidly low rates.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I like giving mch to a job pair that won't get appreciable physical damage any other way, I gave it to my WHM/MCH Vaan. The darkshot dark robes combo is fun but there are so many better options anyway it's just a fun bonus.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Oh! I kept wanting to mention this for any new 12 HD players: Quickening licences are per character, per board. In short, if you have a character take their 50 LP quickining license on one board, they automatically get the 50 LP quickening license on their other board. BUT! If you have 2 characters with the same job for whatever reason, and one of them claims a quickening license, the other charcter/s with that job can't take that license anymore. So plan ahead!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Reik posted:

The game could definitely use some difficulty/re-balancing mods and a re-speccing mod.

EDIT: They already have a mod that replaces Vaan with Reks.

From what I vaguely remember from the strategy guide doesn't Reks have stupid good stats?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm really, really glad XV isn't in the XIII universe. I mean XV has its own share of confusing bits in the lore, but it's way more understandable than any of the XIII games.

Very superficially it is, having been Versus XIII at some point. Noct is basically a l'cie doing the will of the gods and what not but that's about where it ends in the product we got. For the best imo.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Howl of the Departed has the FF7 boss theme guitar riff in it and it owns.

If they touched up the graphics, added turbo and sped up the loading I'd totally replay LO in a current system. My main issue was that the game is just plain slow.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Calaveron posted:

Lost Odyssey had the tiddy queen and the mortal party member who was super old but still acted like a momma's boy with his immortal mom who was also a party member

Sed is the best mortal in the party :colbert:

I do have a soft spot for Tolten though, based on the way they go from one of the worst to one of the best imo.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Bring Uematsu back :colbert:

And make him do a soundtrack alongside Yoko.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

seiferguy posted:

Shimomura is still v. good.

Edit: so is Soken.

Soken Uematsu Shimomura team up for a new collab game ala CT.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

pichupal posted:

Edit your post, maybe people will skip to the last page and not notice the game we're talking about.

I'm gonna pretend we're talking about Half-Minute Hero, a game where running does deplete your HP.

I miss half minute hero, it was great imo.

Speaking of BoF, I keep meaning to play those games at singe point. Even Dragon Quarter just to see how bad it really is.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I always seem to run into this weird juxtaposed sentiment that Dragon Quarter has a bunch of weird as gently caress mechanics, then turning around to people jumping in that it's one of the best in the series.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I like spells for Noctis casually tossing one up behind his back to cause a massive explosion. That animation rules.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Fishing owns in general.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Harrow posted:

Let Yoko Taro direct Final Fantasy XVI

Unironically this

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Every jrpg should have a power rangers like outfit for the party.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
X has a few gotcha fights if your blind I think. The anti magic tank, arguably all the seymour's, Yunalesca, that boss right before yunalesca.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Ultima by far.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Dr Pepper posted:

Four Dragons.

That means using Beastmaster and Beastmaster sucks :colbert:

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
The free atb refill every other gauge feels so natural to use that I'm shocked the game never brings attention to it.

The Paradigm animation for first swap of every battle sucks though, Im glad the sequel nixed that.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

WaltherFeng posted:

Basically everytime you let ATB refresh naturally you can Paradigm Shift to get a full bar for free.

It's been forever since I've played 13 so don't take this to heart, but i wanna say every 2 times you let the atb fill normally you can Shift after using up that second refill and you'll automatically have full atb IB the new paradigm for the whole party. Speedruns abuse this with multiple COM stack paradigms to stack damage.

Also if you manual enter commands, you can press down then left i want to say and it will change to let you just repeat your last manual entry.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Darth Walrus posted:

It kills a whole loving planet in IX. And then it kills the universe so hard you have to beat up the freakin’ Grim Reaper to bring it back.

I love IX. :allears:

My real problem with XIII honestly is the parts that are more "Action game" oriented, like the positioning of your dudes, or launch juggling (though i actually like launch, it's fun imo), or one poster above mentioned how the system will alternate abilities for you because that gets a higher chain amount? That's absolutely true, but some characters (Sazh) take for loving ever to actually do the animation to alternate like that, to the point you can actually lose chain if you don't manually tell him to just spam Fire. Its also why Snow is an amazing caster, his spell animation is super fast.

Tldr: FF XIII is silly

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
FF 13 chat got me to grab the steam version so now I guess im playing this again for like the 4th time.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Sapozhnik posted:

What would an HD remaster of XIII add? What the game needs is a massive amount of editing to its plot and pacing in order to make some actual sense and have characters that aren't as punchable, and at that point it's not going to be FFXIII any more.

The PC port is fine. It runs at 1080p60, its load times aren't atrocious. Those are the two main improvements you want when going from console to PC. Everything else is bells and whistles.

This was my only question, whether or not it ran at 60 fos.

I will say, having the game on an ssd makes loads nice and quick, way better than on 360 :v:

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
The fiesta is partly the reason FF 5 is super super well documented.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Replaying it, it really feels like they're afraid to just throw the system at you in full, they really want you to play with it in the 2 man parties before opening it fully. Which would be fine, if that 2 man section didn't last so freaking long. As is i'm rushing through somewhat and at the 5 hour mark i'm just starting the second Sazh/Vanille. At least it gives me my preferred weapons for them for free right here.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Oh yeah, you also unlock all the roles for everyone like a chapter sooner than it needs to, so you have this chapter where you're teased that everyone gets all their roles but not near enough CP to do anything with it till next chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

The White Dragon posted:

what is the last story

Tales and FF mixed. :v:

I mean, console jrpgs are certainly rarer today but then you have something like Xenoblade 2 that just knocked it outta the park (imo) so it definitely can be done. But it's also true that Monolith soft are Real Life Wizards because these are the same guys who crammed XBC 1 into the N3DS.