Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
FF 2 has a great world map theme :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Ff 13 replay comment: It's funny just how much better Sazh is in human control. I know blitz spam is op but shredding enemies with it never gets old.

Also i'm forcing myself to not use Light/Fang/Hope like i always do and i think i'm having the easiest time I've ever had. Snow is unkillable effectivly, Vannile has her wonderful debuff access, and Sazh with strength investment and keeping him out of ravager lets him shred foes. I'm enjoying this!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I would go so far as to say Light/Fang/Hope is the "meta" team. Its got the three highest offensive stat peeps, access to all the roles, all three characters have good animations for what they want to do so no jankiness there (SAZH!!!), it has Fang period, two medics (that's a personal pref thing I know). There's really no reason to NOT use this party. I'm just being stubborn. My biggest surprise right now with my usual bench warmers is how good Snow actually is. His animations are super super fast, so fast he can get ahead of other characters because hes already done with his last attacks and already charging his next ones.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Oh cool they're porting FF 4 again!

PSP still the best version though.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

bentacos posted:

So you think you can ride this chocobo?!

There is a reason i will never complain about 13-2's ost.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
So, i'm in chapter 12 of XIII right now, the Eden Under Siege (great track), which is one huge set peice i actually really like. Stuff is happening and this place your supposed to protect has gone to hell in a real hurry.

Anyway, I've been randomly throwing different combos of party members together, a couple of times forced to do it (adamanchild was a bit much without Slow and protect, but way easier with it). It's been a ton of fun actually, if only because i'm normally super bad about having My Team in any given rpg and not switching from there. Rocking the double SYN to fully buff myself quickly then blow up Proud Clod in one stagger. Stuff like that.

Also it's the part of the crystarium where people's stats properly take off and that's fun too.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Raxivace posted:

Now I can only picture Gilbert Gottfried as a Final Fantasy party member.

The planet's dyin Cloud!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Yeah brother is a weirdo perv but he gets stomped for it literally.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I'd like SO3 more if more than 4 of the party members weren't crap.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

baram. posted:

i'd like to see an ff4 psp style remake of ff6.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Himuro posted:

Please do that for V and VI!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

OneDeadman posted:

FF14 Heavensward is the best FF game

Fact

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I play 14 because I like 14 for what it is.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Himuro posted:

That’s cool. I like what I’ve played but haven’t been able to invest much into it.

It worked for me early because it really is my first mmo, so all the easy early stuff was appreciated.

Now it's a pain in my rear end.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

FFXIV players: Ok so if I meld direct hit materia instead of spell speed, that'll result in a 0.78% increase in dps over the course of the fight, assuming of course that I use optimal food and potions and work out an absolutely optimal rotation that accounts for the group's damage buffs and times the boss goes invulnerable...

Construct 7: what's 8+3

FFXIV players: :confused: :confused: :confused:

:laffo:

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

DeadButDelicious posted:

Still slashing and hacking my way through the Fifth Ark in FFXIII. Progress was slow because I prioritised Overwatch anniversary weekend. Spoilers for the boss fight:

gently caress Raines. That was a rough fight especially managing TP to get Odin off after the first break. It's made me question my party though - I've just gone with characters I like which are Lightning, Sazh and Hope. The fight really made me miss Vanille's saboteur kit. Also could they have maybe recorded more than one line for Raines? My partner was sat across the room at her computer and had a jolly time taking the piss out of THE FAL'CIE HAVE NO HOLD OVER ME! every minute.

Is there further to go in Fifth Ark? The subway aesthetic has really worn out it's welcome.

That boss is roughly the half way point. Your almost to the "good" part of the game.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

EmmyOk posted:

do u pronounce it Haste-ga or Ha-Stega (like the stega in stegasaurus)

Ha-Stega

Tide-us

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Yeah FF7R isn't really happening till they get KH3 out the door.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
FF 14, noted Best Final Fantasy, has a fun in game note about why in universe they use numbers for spells instead of suffixes. Short version is its less confusing.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Phantasium posted:

Same, I asked for a Platinum mana game because I still think it would be funny to do sick combos on Rabites.

Doing sick combos on Rabites would be amazing :allears:

E: Oh man, and you could keep the percentage thing, every hit you do takes so much off forcing you to back off every so often. And Platinum Dodging could give you some meter back. Dangit now I want this.

BrightWing fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 28, 2018

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Ph-phrasing?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Because Tidus himself is the water aeon. In this game with water as a major theme.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Teleport stones are black. And seconding you do some missions, if only because you're at the part you can finally stretch your legs.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I'm pretty sure those flying enemies just have high evasion, which is countered by Wakkas high accuracy.

And yeah, early on his strength sucks but he catches up hard later and his grid is next to Auron's so it gets even better the later you go.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
It's a shameless Game of War skin with lovely timers and adds all over.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Elephant Ambush posted:

In FF13 the rule of thumb I always use is to have all the men in a party for boss fights with Snow on point and the others just buffing the gently caress out of everyone, and the party of women is for literally everything else.

Thats.... not a bad idea at all. The guys tend toward defensive strats and the ladies have all the offense.

Though if you control Sazh then the guys also have all the damage forever.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Schwartzcough posted:

Can't tell how much of this is a joke.

It is all true

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Goons....swarming like lokusts.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Mister Olympus posted:

Interestingly enough, another of Seifer's moves was translated in FF8 (Chimatsuri/Bloodfest), but untranslated when it was reused for the Ninja limit break in 14. Which, granted, because ninjas.

Today I learned the NIN lb3 Chimatsuri is an FF8 refrence.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

lobster22221 posted:

Not sure what this has to do with final fantasy, but it sure is catchy.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

corn in the bible posted:

sazh/vanille is loving miserable every time you have to deal with it. ff13 lovers are insane

The section with them on the airship is awful

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Varance posted:

For those of you not playing 14, here's the alternate take on that: (Spoilers) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KGQpOlZBIU&t=102s

A bit modified to fit the context of 14, but it was penned by Yasumi Matsuno himself, and was intended as a piece of closure to the Tactics storyline.

Yeah, it made me smile :unsmith:

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

NikkolasKing posted:

Tons of RPGs have hidden mechanics. I remember learning about the Crisis Level system in FFVIII and exploiting it to win in a hard mod.

Nobody ever tells you about that poo poo in the actual game despite the fact it has a huge impact on Quistis' Limit Breaks.

The what now?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I just knew lower HP made for better odds on the better versions of Renzoku. Didn't know it categorized it so.

FF 8 is weiiiiiird.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I beat it at level 16ish by slapping on no encounters as soon as I could. Bosses have plenty of decent magic to grab, and of course Renzo spam is king. Had fun, thought the plot was kinda all over but it's fairly ambitious given what it is. Id take a full on remake of some kind that cleans up the writing and reworks just... everything about the economy of junctions gladly. Maybe a small subplot about how all their power is from stolen magic and summons, make losing it all at the final dungeon poetic or something.

Also gunblades are cool and I want more.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I'll try two in that case. The VA in 5 is good so far,and the story seems okay,but it's just too rough

Suikoden 2 is considered a classic for a reason, you are making an excellent decision.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

morallyobjected posted:

the one thing that could be changed about IX is that they could have just used "they/their" instead of the weird "s/he" thing they went for

They/them as a singular gender neutral pronoun has been around forever but it's only recently caught on.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Final Fantasy VIIIx2: Squall's Return

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

FF8-2: Laguna's roadtrip with his bros

Would play the heck outta this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU