Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

FFX|X-2 being outsourced to an inexperienced developer explains the increased number of loading screens and the lack of cutscene skipping, at least.

Is this true? Goddamn it this makes me wonder if I even want to get it, international version be damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Too bad it's about as common as getting The End.

I've gotten The End once, on some random poo poo head enemy on Balamb, and only because I specifically made a point of cycling through Selphie's limit with worthless enemies so I could just do it until it popped up without worrying about dying or anything.

Rapture, however, I've gotten much more often.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
There are plenty of terrible moments in XIII (mostly centered around Hope and Snow), but that moment when you walk out onto the Archylte Steppe on Gran Pulse and see just how massive it is was beautiful. I probably spent more total time running around doing hunts and poo poo than I did playing the story proper.

I started playing through a second time (but I got distracted by Ni no Kuni), and I've still found it generally enjoyable. Though I'm not that deep into Hope's lovely character arc. Overall, the story doesn't seem particularly stupider than a bunch of the other games. Maybe it's just because you only get to see the party's side of things instead of more objective and omniscient narration?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

I think the big difference is that X tried to get you to care about its world by giving you areas where you can explore the game world via its history and what the people in it are like, while XIII actively discourages it by making every area a different tube full of enemies you are told to rush through as fast as possible.

This certainly comes down to how much credit you're willing to give the story, but all of the corridor-ness people complain about happens in the first half-ish of the game when you're literally just running away from people trying to kill you until you escape to the world where no one else is--then it opens up when you get to Gran Pulse.

I mean, in a place where the government is on full alert and the military has been dispatched to eliminate you as a threat to the general populace, it wouldn't make much sense for you to just be hiking around and looking for loot at a leisurely pace. They really just got all the l'Cie poo poo dumped on them and they have no idea what to do themselves, so I'm willing to concede that they don't really have a good idea of where to go or a well thought out plan of action.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

XIII-2 and now Lightning Returns are pretty much just something to keep me occupied until Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III come out. Both of the development teams are trying to one-up each other with crazy game mechanics, so I'm sure they're going to be a lot of fun. It's silly to speculate what Disney worlds will be in the third game, but II had TRON and Pirates of the Caribbean, so anything could happen.

Now that Disney owns Star Wars, Death Star world with a lightsaber keyblade and a keyhole in the exhaust port.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

You forget that Nomura is at the helm. You won't get Han shooting first; you're going to get "Solo chaaaaaaaaan :allears:"

Now that you mention it, I wonder how many belts they can fit on Jar Jar. God knows he'd be the support character.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

kalonZombie posted:

X-2 made the gameplay better

Except for Blitzball, which they made infinitely worse for no reason. I remember the first time I went to play it, and as I realised what had happened, my depression become more and more prominent.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
My favourite is IX. I've beaten it probably 15-16 times at this point, and it usually happens at least once a year. Reading through the thread kind of makes me want to start another one, but I don't honestly have time at the moment. Everything about the game just makes me :allears:

After that, it's probably Tactics. Any game that lets me kill an enemy by throwing a dictionary at it. Plus, everything else about it, aside from me not knowing how to use phoenix downs by that Dorter Trade City fight.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
So I built a new computer and got a copy of FFXIV with my video card. I'm not really interested in MMORPGs, but I figured since I like Final Fantasy, I might as well give it a shot for the free month and try and finish the main story. I don't really have any interest in interacting with other people online in my RPGs, and I think I read that most (all?) of the main storyline is doable without having to group up. Is that pretty much true?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm actually kind of enjoying it so far, but it's nothing I'd really want to continue paying money for. I have no idea what the good classes are, but I'm an archer just because I've always been in love with the bow and arrow as a weapon, and it seems to be working out okay.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Confuse them and enjoy watching them kill themselves. :getin:

Also, official site and trailer for Patch 2.2 of Final Fantasy XIV is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zueQqbWhZeo

That ending. :allears:

I got to like 7:40 and wondered what you were talking about. Then it happened.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I can only assume FFVIII takes place far, far in the future where Gilgamesh has become competent.

Clearly you've never been unfortunate enough to have had him show up and use Excalipoor about three times in a row.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Excels posted:

So which FF game have you all put the MOST hours into total?

For me it would have to be FFXII, mostly because the original game is so slow it literally takes that long to do most of the sidequests. After 130+ hours I don't think I even hit Lv80 with all six characters. Then again I only used Fran, Ashe and Basch for most of the game.

If we're talking single file, it's FFXII. It's the first one I ever got more than 100 hours into. If we're talking total time, though, it's IX. I've replayed that game at least 12-15 times, and at least 30 hours per file. It's never gotten old.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Barudak posted:

It takes only as long as it takes to mash X and get snacks while cutscenes play assuming you have Enc-None and the traditional over-optimized party

This just in games become trivial when you over-optimise your party.

But really, I think you mean "mash triangle until you hear the limit sound and kill everything with Renzokuken".

edit: It's a shame, really, because the final dungeon is honestly one of the best parts of the whole game. One of the best parts of the whole PSX era Final Fantasies, really.

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 18, 2014

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Welp.

I finished the game with 99.7% or something on a single run but couldn't figure out what is missed or be arsed to go back through a NG+ to fill in so never got the perfect ending.

I followed a guide and ended up with 99.9%. said gently caress it and never looked back.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

precision posted:

Unskippable voiced cutscenes are nowhere near as annoying as unskippable scenes in 7-9 where you have to keep pressing X to advance mountains of dialogue. :shrug:

Yeah, but if you have to go through any of those more than once, you've done something horribly wrong.

e: And it's O in 7, thank you very much.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

On a wholly different topic, watching a LP of X-2, and I'm curious - what do people think of the Gunner's Gauntlet/ Was it fun? Did you bother with it beyond the 500 points to stick it to Beclem?

I hate Gunner's Gauntlet, Beclem, and anything that involves them.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Celery Face posted:

I rented it from the library a few times and I agree with you. It's certainly not a bad game but I didn't enjoy nearly as much as X for the same reasons that you did. Also, it was really tedious how it took forever to get from one place to another and how you couldn't just buy the teleporter stones.

How's Final Fantasy IX? I bought VII and VIII from the PSN store 4 years ago but I couldn't get into them.

IX is my favourite one of the whole series. It's a medieval/fantasy setting instead of the future-ish sci-fi of VII and VIII, the music is great, and I think the character development is beyond both VII and VIII. Plus, characters are in fixed jobs and aren't just interchangeable, which I like. Some people complain about the battle system being slow, but I've never honestly had a problem with it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Barudak posted:

This might not be an accurate statement; there is a fun combat system buried under an avalanche of really stupid things.

I only dislike X-2 when I'm trying to get 100%. When I'm just playing through and enjoying it for its complete campy absurdity, it's much more fun.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Occupation posted:

Also yes I like the best ps1 ff, what of it

He said VIII, not IX.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

SAVE EARLY, SAVE OFTEN, TRY TO NEVER OVERWRITE SAVES

The three saving rules in RPGs. With FFXHD I actually maxed out the amount of saves allowed (200) and finally had to start overwriting my first ones.

I have done this ever since Final Fantasy Tactics showed me how bad using one save slot can be.

Final Fantasy Tactics is the only FF I have ever kept multiple saves on, after getting wiped too many times and barely being able to get past certain points. God am I glad for that, or I would have been completely hosed with that Belius/Wiegraf fight. First time I played it, I honestly thought it was supposed to be unwinnable, and then I saw the game over screen.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The Chocobo minigame in VIII is probably the only thing I outright hate about the game. That was some tedious bullshit with the ChocoSonar. It took me forever to figure out that I needed to get Chocoboy to move his rear end off the spot he was standing on, in one of the forests.

Most of the time, I don't even remember that there are chocobos in that game. I can't remember anything being worth it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Lol it's not like they didn't already have week 1 dlc planned at the beginning of the project. You knew what I meant.

Bregor posted:

I'm pretty sure every video game from here on out will have DLC within a week of launch for increased :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: .

I'm no expert in video game production, but I feel like before the age of DLC, there just would have been nothing at all. They would have said "These are the songs", and that's all you would have gotten, as opposed to now, when they can make new things to add to it after that point while testing and everything is going on. Would it honestly make you feel better about it if they just arbitrarily waited like two months and released something that was already done after final production on the printed game had stopped but before it actually shipped, just because you hate week 1 DLC?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

I never rely on Blind in that fight. He's crazy fast (if you fight him early enough, he might even get one attack for every attack you do) and you can get wiped out with a string of bad luck hits or just done in with the poo poo shotgun "something's bound to hit eventually" method. Blind isn't a 0% accuracy status effect even though it feels that way when it's cast on you.

I don't think I've ever not fought him right after getting the lamp at Balamb. I mean, it outright tells you to save beforehand, and I typically spend some time drawing Demis (as well as that works with everyone's poo poo magic stats) and some other spells before I finish him off with limits since everyone is in the yellow from all the Gravija and Demi. Worst case scenario is that you lose some drawn spells and either decide it isn't worth it or try again, but he's never been hard to just outright kill if you aren't bothering with all that crap.

Actually, it's the one fight I've ever gotten The End in, because I could just sit there with the slot and cycle through all the time because he couldn't hit anyone for poo poo. It may not be 0% accuracy, but I guess I'm just lucky if I've pretty much never gotten hit by his physicals after blinding him.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Zero Star posted:

It's a pretty huge 'gently caress you' in VIII as well. The key is to get Cerberus to learn ST-Def-Jx4, give that person 100% resistance to Confuse, Sleep and Berserk, and make sure they have Treatment to heal themselves + the other two party members.

That last part is unnecessary, because why are you doing anything to malboros other than mugging them for tentacles and running away?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Occupation posted:

Don't Malboros give good ap

Any considerations about AP are made irrelevant by the existence of Cactuar Island.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

It's pretty hard to go back once you're used to playing Final Fantasy VII on maximum battle speed. The maximum speed in FFIX isn't anywhere close to that.

Also, does anyone else prefer the ATB system from FFVI, VII, and X-2 where the bar continues to build while animations take place? It lets you queue up commands, rather than having to enter them instantly for efficiency.

I'm one of those people who never had a problem with IX's battle speed. If anything, of the three mainline games on the PSX, the battle system is my favourite. :shrug:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

I love FF IX to death, but I could never warm up to the battle system. It's not even the speed. It just feels profoundly weird to me: whenever you enter a command, you never quite know when it's gonna happen. Sometimes, enemies and the party just seem to stare at each other, as if both aren't quite sure what to do next. It feels incredibly stilted to me. Not to mention the countless little annoyances, like how you can't control exactly when Trances will trigger, how stealing is incredibly tedious, and how... get this... Zidane, after casting his "Always Escape" thingie, slowly reverts to his default animation before running away with his teammates, who have been running in place for half a minute.

You can't believe how that last one annoyed me.

I like to think he's just surprised the little spark/light bomb thing he set off actually worked before remembering he's supposed to be running away with everyone else.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

TARDISman posted:

The only problem I have with IX is that I never really felt like I had that much space for party variety. You had Zidane because he was the hero and Dyne was stupidly strong, you had Vivi because black magic was somewhat useful in that game and because he probably had the best story arc in that game, you had Steiner because he was hilarious and incredibly useful with Vivi, and you had Garnet because she was better at summons than Eiko while still maintaining fairly decent healing. I tried using Freya but she really couldn't get the same damage output as any of the other four, same with Amarant and Quina.

Honestly, I had Vivi in the party just because I liked him, but I never really used him for much until I could get the Black Robe or whatever it was from chocographs that could give him Half MP, because most of the elemental spells are weak compared to the damage that Freya or Amarant could do, and the good spells drain like 15-20% of his MP at full cost. especially with their stronger weapons, which are easily gotten if you're doing the chocobo side quests anyway (and why wouldn't you? Chocobo Hot and Cold is one of the best minigames).

Schwartzcough posted:

I would not say Zidane/Vivi/Steiner/Garnet is better than any other given team.

Maybe not. But it's the endgame party you use if you're not a heretic. :colbert:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Vivi's best spell is Bio with Reflect x2, bounced off your party with Auto-Reflect equipped on everyone. Max damage to every enemy every time, not even kidding. That costs, what, 16 MP?

Doesn't Reflectx2 take up like 16 ability points though? Though maybe Half MP takes up a similar amount, but either way it seems a little gimmicky to need Auto-Reflect on everyone too, when that is also pretty costly, as far as I can remember.

Keep in mind, I generally don't get anywhere near max levels, so my AP pools aren't particularly deep (I don't even know how much larger they get at the upper levels, anyway).

Great Lakes Log posted:

Chocobo Hot and Cold is also overrated because of how much you have to play it before randomly finding the treasures you need. The best FF minigame is still probably marching in time on the TV broadcast in VII.

I have never had a problem with playing more H&C. It's probably my favourite mini-game from the series, followed by Triple Triad (only with the right rules), Blitzball, and Sphere Break.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Am I the only one who tries to mix up their party once you get the option in Disk 3? Sticking with one party always seems so boring in a game with multiple jobs.

The mixing up that happens to do the desert castle/Oeilvert section about fulfills my desire to switch up my party. I tend to do slightly different parties for that part each time I go through the game.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Barudak posted:

This part nearly stonewalled me at this point because I split my party into "the 4 people I use" and "the 4 people I don't" and let me tell you that was a brutal, brutal struggle to not get stuck.

This is why Chocobo Hot and Cold is so important, because there are a bunch of treasures you can get on the Forgotten Continent that more than make up for any stat deficiencies if you haven't used, for example, Amarant or Freya the whole game.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Orgia Carnaval posted:

If you added specific abilities getting MP quickly was actually quite easy, especially since enemies would drop bubbles which refilled your MP automatically. The problem was though was why use magic and waste the MP for anything that wasn't super good when you can just slap everything around with sword.

Phantom. That's why. gently caress that boss.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Did anyone at SE ever mention whether the full ATB fill every 12 seconds in 13/13-2 was an intended, but undocumented, mechanic?

Can someone explain this to me? Because it's the first I've heard about it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

Actually, Squall fit in just fine in FFX-2. Don't know why they made him a girl, though. :v:

FFVIII's fun, try not to think about the story, keep at a lowish level but don't stress about getting a bit of EXP every now and then.

After watching Leovinus's last failed LP of it and how little he cared about leveling, I decided to just give no fucks about levels and just threw on Enc-None in the particularly annoying areas like the sewers or if I was item/draw hunting. it really doesn't matter. as long as you junction right, the game still isn't going to come close to catching you.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Leper Residue posted:

You lose out on a lot of ap that way. I found the best thing is to just wail on the enemy for a turn or two and then card them. That way you get the AP, no experience and you can refine the card into spells or whatever.

AP is a non-issue when you can just grind it out on the cactuars in Disc 3/4. The biggest chunks you get are from bosses, anyway, and I doubt you're really losing out on much by having Enc-None on in the sewers and not fighting 20 Creeps.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Even as a little kid though, Squall was a moody little rear end in a top hat who shunned the other kids who were trying to play with him in favor of Ellone.

What I'm trying to say is that Squall never grew up, he's a total manchild.

He never got to play with Ellone. She had to leave, and she was the one "family" member he had. Forbid he not be exactly as well-adjusted as everyone else.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

A FF8 remake should have more Garden battles and hotdogs.

Personally if they'd dropped the really dumb orphanage subplot I'd have been reasonably happy, the plot is a little hamfisted but no worse an offender than FFXIII.

Honestly, the best parts of that game were the parts that actually involved going out and doing mercenary/SeeD poo poo. The Dollet sequence was awesome and the Garden battle was probably the best action sequence of the game. I'd play a game that was in the same universe but about doing more of that stuff. the FFX-2 of FFVIII.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Bossie Lott posted:

Having an FF8 spin-off deal that's kinda like XCOM in that you're reacting to requests for aid, going out on missions and managing your Garden would be pretty cool. The world would need to be way more fleshed out though; Galbadia is pretty much the only continent with major stuff going on; Trabia is just the garden and some moombas and Esthar is a single city. It actually kinda makes some of the lines of dialogue and plot stuff a bit odd in FF8; the world seems much more expansive with many more nations in it than there actually are.

Doesn't the party have the world's like singular airship? Everyone else is still using boats and trains to get around. Gardens aside, that is. They don't seem like reliable consumer transportation.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Did this take 1,000 hours literally? Because I was just playing it 20 minutes ago from the beginning and I really don't understand how that's possible without killing yourself.

any person capable of doing it was probably dead inside long before they started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Key to remember though is a big part of FFX, and the voice and lip-dub tech, was coming from The Spirits Within, which was a tremendous box-office bomb. (I kinda liked it :shobon:)

You aren't alone. I liked it (and even own a copy of it that I purchased after having seen it once).