Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The most significant effect removing MP had on the game design (Which I really liked) was the fact that each and every encounter took into account that the player had max resources at all times. In classic RPGs, the developers had to consider players who were running low on health, mp and items and thus lots of battles were extremely trivial because the outcomes were decided in the inventory/status menus, rather than the actual fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

epitasis posted:

is the ending of ff7 considered good? if so this might be the first episodic game with a good ending. stay tuned

I remember when there were still debates about the ending of FFVII.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

To me FFXII is the precursor to Xenoblade series. It's nowhere near as involved gameplay wise but the world building is excellent and there's genuine feeling of discovery as you stumble on completely optional areas.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

So in FFXII, Reddas just joined, I have my airship, and the final dungeon is being namedropped. But I've got a bunch of weapon/armour/magic tiers left and I'm only 30 hours in. I'm assuming the game does not end quite yet?

Also I accidentally forgot to rotate my party and half my characters are miles behind, is there a safe/easy way/place to catch them up?

There's a lot of optional content in FFXII which should take you easily another 70 hours if you want.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

There isn't a single series Platinum can't turn into a competent beat em up. Can we have a PS4 remake of Slashly Souls made by Platinum where the main protagonist is Artorias ninja flipping all over?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I count Korra as a good but terribly underbudgeted game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Guys, did you hear the best FF ever made is getting a PS4 remaster? I've been waiting for this for several years now.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

If XII comes to PC, I'd be interested to see if someone makes a gameplay balance mod at some point. Make it so Gambits can take care of the most repetitive tasks, but you can't use them as a crutch and have to engage with the combat.

Like the other poster mentioned. FFXII battle system is built so that the AI can handle any scenario own its own. There's not a lot going on during battles.

If they want to make the battles more involved, they need to introduce cool downs, side attacks, rear attacks and skill combos similar to FFXIV for example.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I'm probably not the first one to say this but the food in FFXV looks delicious.

Probably the best looking video game food after Snake Eater

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Huxley posted:

About to pick up 13-2 and LR for the first time after playing 13 on release and not since.

Here is what I remember about 13: Chocobo hair and Lesbians.

Should I play 13-2 first or does it matter? Metacritic has them rated about the same but I honestly don't even remember which came out first.

FF13-2 rewrites FF13's ending and Lightning Returns continues where FF13-2 left off.

FF13-2 tried to respond to criticism on FFXIII's linearity and it's alright in my opinion. It definitely isn't any worse than the original.

I hate Lightning Returns. Maybe it's because they decided to make the godawful NPC storylines the main focus which are really dumb, even by JRPG standards.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Omg Vaan when did you become hot

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

Apparently FFXV's story takes place over ten years and the characters age with it

i wanna play as a 30 year old in a jrpg, let's do it

I wanna be like Noctis when I grow up.

In 4 years

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I'm proud to say that I'm one of the people who (probably) outlived FFXV development

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I'm so excited for FF Versus XIII

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ7MwTXYLpg

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

FFXV is the demo for glorious FFXII remaster

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Tae posted:

What's the last thing FF hasn't done with Summons yet? Making them armor?

Well FFVIII had a mechanic that allowed you to tank strong hits by performing a summon, because they had separate HP bar while casting.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

FFXV has visually impressive combat and it feels really good at times.

Then you sort of realize that you aren't really challenged for the majority of the game.

What I'm really trying to say that Nioh is going to own and it cannot come any sooner.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

FFXIII might be bad but it has the slickest menu design out of all RPGs I've played.

Whoever came up with those animated portraits in the equipment screen deserves better

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Renoistic posted:

Holy :lol: the new fishing tune.

The what

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

quote:

) Noct's dad may have suspected this, which is another reason he just happened to send his son and heir out of town on the eve of the treaty.

I'd like to add that he didn't just suspect, he more or less knew what the empire was doing the whole time. To paraphrase, Cid says later that Regis knew he was going to lose the war one way or the other and he just had to play his losing hand while keeping Noct and Luna alive.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

FFXII is what FFXV should've been.

They took a step back in so many things FFXII already did perfectly

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

FFXII is the best and Seeking Power is my favorite

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Gambits could be implemented into just about every turn based RPG ever and they should.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

If you do not pick Samurai for Basch you've made the wrong choice

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

If FFXII doesn't please you nitpickers then relieve yourself of the trouble and send me a copy.

Otherwise I'd have to make a choice between paying bills and playing my favorite JRPG of all time.

Ughh

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

This translated part from an old interview with Ito adresses some FFXII talk:

Ito: One way to play the original game is to just become strong and barrel through; every character will get stronger if you just acquire every license from the starting point as you go. This isn't what I had had in mind. I wanted people to choose this license and that one, with each of the six characters going in different directions. I wanted the players to worry about [which licenses to acquire] as they played, and develop their own styles.

Whether it's a treasure or whatever, what happens is "destiny", and the player has to accept it and keep going. I thought the original version had this, but one part of me thought that it ended up not functioning very well. There are treasures that sometimes have gil and sometimes items, and if you only got a few gil, I wanted the player to value that small amount of money and keep making progress. But in fact, [some people] just reset until they get the item they want, don't they? It's difficult to make it so that the player has to accept the finality that the item [that they desired] wasn't there

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

In case anyone didn't know, it takes 3 zones for a chest to respawn in FFXII. In the Zodiac version they changed it to one so you can go back and forth to grind treasure

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

It's closer to the original FFXII than IZJS version in that regard.

I'm considering playing the game first with single jobs only since you can't just cherry pick the stuff you need and compensate all weaknesses with a second job.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

FFXII is my favorite idle clicker game without irony.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Dumb question:

Best sources for comparing job combinations?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Haven't time to play so I've been juggling around job combos instead on my phone

Penelo: SHI/SAM
Vaan: MNK/SAM
Basch: SAM/KNI
Ashe: RDM/BRK
Balthier: BLM/RDM
Fran : TIM/???

I want to use Time Battlemage as a primary role so something to complement Crossbows and heavy armor I guess?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Harrow posted:

What's with all the Bushi? (They called Samurai "Bushi" in this for some reason.)

If it's so that they can all use katanas, you're not going to have enough good Hanzo steel to go around in the endgame to make that worth it, unfortunately. If it's for access to the Genji Glove, both Foebreaker and Knight also allow that. You could consider Shikari/Foebreaker and Monk/Knight maybe, because those also provide other benefits that Bushi doesn't to those jobs (namely, access to heavy armor, and a pile of extra Battle Lores for Shikari). Normally I advise against Monk/Knight, but that only really applies if you're trying to use all 12 jobs, because the two can be spread out to better effect. But if you're cool having multiples of each job, as you clearly are, Monk/Knight is a great combination, especially if you have more than one Knight (Monk's natural white magick lets you sort of leapfrog some Esper requirements for Knight, so your other Knight can have those Espers).

You don't have a White Mage yet, so maybe that to go with your Time Battlemage? There isn't really any need to differentiate between primary and secondary roles--both of the jobs you have are the full license board, your secondary isn't like a mini version or anything--and White Mage/Time Battlemage is one hell of a support character. Also, weirdly enough, Time Battlemage/Bushi is a good combination, and Fran's katana animations are ridiculously cool.

Shi/Bushi is for Yagyu Darkblade combo and nothing else
Monk/Bushi for Holy nukes (And slightly more interesting than WHM, though Monk and Knight also sound fun)

Most people use Time Mage for the magic only but I wanna use it primarily for bolts so I want something to complement that (Breaker or Uhlan maybe?)

I purposefully left out WHM to make the party more exotic

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 23, 2017

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Someone direct me to a random party generator. That poo poo could be fun on future replaysp

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I finally got a chance to sit down and play FFXII and It's so hngh good.

The graphics really benefit from remastering and the game finally looks and sounds the way it should.

In regards to difficulty there's alot of optional content that can be done really early which should prove a good challenge

FFXV is a lot more interesting as Lvl 1 but it does require some grinding for gear

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Harrow posted:

Vulnerable means they won't be immune or absorb it. Weak means they'll take extra damage from it.

And I think kerwyn is right that you don't need Libra for those gambits, but I'm only really basing this on the fact that I haven't caught my Black Mage loving it up yet.

It's true

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Played up to Mimic Queen and did some hunts. I used to play vanilla FFXII a lot but I really like how they've subtle changes to accessories, shops, magicks etc.

Decided to roll with
BRK/SHI
MNK/BLM
SAM/KNI
BLM/RDM
RDM/BRK
TIM/UHL

With this I got all the high level offensive magicks covered for maximum dmg and some natural healing as well without a WHM. Also rapid fire debuffs

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 26, 2017

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Hah I beat Ba'gamnan for the first time in 10 years by spamming Aquara Motes found in Lhusu Mines. 4x speed really came in handy farming chests

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Japanese voices are pretty cool imo. Especially since the English ones are pretty monotone in their delivery.

I'm trying to come up with legit reasons why I think this is the best game in the series and it mostly boils down:

You know all that typical RPG bullshit? Well here's gambits and a loving fast forward button. That combined with the Job System, world building and the new remastered music and graphics.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

precision posted:

Just smh if you don't make Fran an Uhlan. Only Balthier looks cooler with a spear than her.

Edit: there should have been a Moogle party member instead of Penelo

Fran is a Time Mage because that fits with Viera life spans :colbert: (Obviously I chose Uhlan as a secondary because of the synergy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

FFXII's map design pulled off Dark Souls before Dark Souls. If you look at how all the areas connect it's pretty drat awesome