Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
And lots of chariots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Did Jewish people create ancient Israel or did Israel create Judaism?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Was this before or after the modern Torah was compiled?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The ancient Near East is just fascinating.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Hero of the People Caesar brutally murdered by the cowardly oligarchic reactionaries.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

You might be joking but lepidus managed to die of old age which is something none of Augustus other enemies can claim.

Probably because unlike every other spurned Roman general of the age he decided to gently caress off and lie low after being stripped of his powers instead of raising some legions and going to war in the name of his Dignitas.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Pontius Pilate posted:

Seems as if the convention is Octavian for the civil war and before and Augustus for well y’know.

The standard English convention is Octavius pre adoption, Octavian post adoption, and then Augustus.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is Pompey the only guy to have Magnus in his formal name? Every other (and way better) famous Roman general has something more specific like Africanus.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is there any particular reason for why it was so seldom used in Roman culture? Was it out of admiration for Alexander?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I was looking at Austronesian history today and I did not realize they had reached Easter Island and Madagascar while the Romans still thought the Bay of Biscay was rough going.

I thought that Madagascar remained basically uninhabited for a strangely long time considering its close proximity to Africa.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Jazerus posted:

since you mentioned swords, it's worth noting that the transition to swords was later than the transition to maniples. that comes around a hundred years later when rome starts going on military adventures in hispania, where the native celts were all armed with swords

The Romans had adopted the Gladius well prior to the 2nd Punic War when they first went to Hispania. I think it’s believed they copied it in the early 200s after yet another Celtic incursion into Italy.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I think it's kind of cool that human civilization could completely vanish tomorrow and in 3 thousand years the Great Pyramids will still be around as a monument.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Aside from the obvious joke answer of Lives of Famous Whores or Claudius’s history of the Etruscans which ancient work would you most like to be discovered complete in some newly excavated basement?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Yeah I mean stuff we know for sure existed and was lost.

Those missing books of Livy would probably be a goldmine.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

It's something of a problem since military history is largely ignored by mainstream historians nowadays, the pendulum hasn't swung back yet.

Why?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is Kagan’s work still the go to account for the Peloponnesian War? I’ve heard mixed things.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

fantastic in plastic posted:

Thucydides is the go-to account for the Peloponnesian War. :agesilaus:

How about something written within the last 20 years?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Fell Fire posted:

Song of Wrath by J.E. Lendon is pretty good.

It seems good but it only covers the first 10 years of the war.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So how do Japanese ultra nationalists reconcile the fact that signs of civilization in Korea safely predate those in Japan?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Since when have nationalists of any stripe let facts get in the way of their ideals?

I assume they have some specific lies that they tell themselves.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Rome’s system of alliances with the Italian Allies was also integral to Rome’s ability the wage war on a previously unheard of scale due to the massive reserves of manpower it provided. At the time of the Second Punic War Rome was capable of putting around 700,000 fighting men into the field across all of its fronts. It’s why even after Cannae the strategic situation was still weighted heavily in Rome’s favor, a fact that Hannibal was well aware of which is why he immediately attempted to turn Rome’s allies against them instead of trying to attack the city itself.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 21, 2018

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Technically the size of the Roman Army was significantly larger in 400 AD than it was in 100 AD. On paper anyway. But most of it was locked down locally and couldn’t be mustered together to meet large external threats let along go campaigning.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What newer books are there about how Rome’s 4th century was actually really good? Does Goldsworthy or Peter Heather go into that in their books on the Fall of the West?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

I don't know if those two beliefs are necessarily incompatible. The empire can have a completely dysfunctional political leadership but still have a booming economy and coast on a strong military.

Well we know that’s possible.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What are some of you guys most favorite paintings of historical events of antiquity? I’m looking to get a few prints framed. The Neoclassical stuff by David is pretty good if not meant to be a realistic depiction.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

spoon daddy posted:

I always like to pitch The British History Podcast by Jamie Jeffers. He started 7 years ago and just hit mid 10th Century. He does a lot of culture analysis and makes it relevant to his telling of history.

Too bad he’ll never come close to finishing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I always find it humorous that the Romans were so exact and precise with all of their city and fortification planning while their own city was a adhoc confusing clusterfuck.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Epicurius posted:

The US is the same way too. Try driving in Boston vs Salt Lake City. It's just the difference between a city that develops organically and one that is planned.

Boston is indeed a clusterfuck but our official capital of DC and our financial capital of Manhattan are both relatively cleanly planned designs.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The dudes been on the year 1025 for like 6 months.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So what happened between 1025 and everything going to absolute poo poo in 1077? I know that Basil II painted the map by reconquering Bulgaria and Eastern Anatolia but did that really translate to the Empire being as strong as it looks on a map in 1025? Or were the seeds of the disasters later in the century already planted?

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 19, 2018

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It’s funny how the very first loving Emperor ran into succession problems and yet the Empire continued to deal with them for another 1400 years.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Every emperor needs an Agrippa.

And emperors like Justinian who have an Agrippa in Belisarius need to loving believe it instead of being paranoid.

Did he really end up as a blind beggar?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I play a lot of Crusader Kings 2 so I’m kind of an expert on succession.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Christ I browse this thread to get away from bullshit “both sides are the same” hot takes.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Tacitus was the “makes a desert and calls it peace” guy right?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

For those that work in the the history field professionally, how irritated do you get get someone just says that the Romans just “stole” all of their gods from the Greeks?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The Romans were originally Korean settlers.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is The Last Kingdom good good or is it just schlocky good?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is this one of those Shakespeare “teens translation edition” things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Not entirely on topic but gently caress it. Does anyone have any recommendations for a book covering late Medieval/Early Modern France? Basically a historical narrative of the Ancien Regime up to the Revolution. The only things I can find are academic publications that do deep dives into some specific topic from the period. Oh and they all cost $50 for like 150 pages.