Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ghostbusters. The moment when they're charging the Sedgewick Hotel their fees, Peter has no idea what to charge. Egon puts his hand up near his face, like just a random, slow gesture, holding up the amount Peter has to ask for.

I've watched this film since I was 4 years old, I can quote it back to front, and I didn't notice this until someone in the GB thread in CD pointed it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

fuckpot posted:

In Jurassic Park when they are on the helicopter ride to the island. Dr Grant is having trouble doing his seatbelt up, and in the scramble ties two female seatbelt parts together.

Life finds a way.

Motherfucker...

Also, with the Vincent Vega thing, didn't he go to the bathroom at Mia's house, right around when she OD'd?

I don't know if it fits well here (then again, a lot of these are easter eggs, but whatever, great thread), but I do enjoy the mention of Alabama in Resevoir Dogs, when Joe is talking to Mr White.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

KnifeWrench posted:

I'm a big fan of his brother's work, too. Real talented family.

Y'know, for a little while, IMDB had an official listing for 'The 3', written by Donald.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

The only two :colbert:
Also, are you positive about this? I know it's very frequent but I have images of her in my head with a fully lit face. Then again it has been years.

No, he's right, they specifically lit Morticia's eyes separately from everyone else, to give her more mystique.

It's even on IMDB (well, in the Addams Family Values entry, though it applies to both films)

"Adding more than just make up to the character, Morticia Addams is always lit separate from everyone else in a scene. Her lighting always consists of one beam of light across her eyes that gradually fades outward to add to her grim look"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Whipstickagostop posted:

In Terminator: Salvation, Connor sets up a portable stereo playing "You Could Be Mine" by Guns N Roses to trap and re-purpose a motorbike terminator to use in a final assault on skynet.

This was the same song he was listening to in the second film, while riding his motorbike, shortly before he first met the terminator.

Don't know if this has been mentioned here yet, and even if it's all that subtle, but Arnie's gun was concealed in a box of roses.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

indoflaven posted:

Another Back to the Future moment:

Marty says "This is heavy".

Doc Brown "There's that word again, heavy. Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the Earths gravitational pull?

Marty "What?"

It's just so subtle and hilarious.

I sincerely don't mean to be a poo poo, and maybe I'm missing something but what about this is subtle? I just took it as a joke, showcasing how language has changed over the years.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Not sure how you guys would rate this in the subtlety scale, but in Snatch, when Turkish and Tommy go 'coarsing' (coursing?), and Turkish is explaining the rules, he says 'The hare gets hosed."

Tommy stops him and asks "What, proper hosed?"

Later on, when they're betting against Mickey and the Pikeys, Turkish bets that he 'reckons the hare gets hosed," to which Mickey replies "What, proper hosed? Ya like that London, eh?". Right after that, you get a quick glance of Tommy grinning, almost trying not to laugh, right until Turkish looks at him, and he stops, like he's been scolded.

It really solidified, to me, the different feelings Tommy and Turkish have towards the entire Pikey situation.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

These two are probably unrelated, but I'm a huge fan of Band of Brothers so I thought I would include it anyway. While in the car to Tom's party, Peter, played by Ron Livingston mentions to Joanna that the Nazis had "pieces of flair" they made Jews wear. In Band of Brothers, Livingston's character of Lewis Nixon assists in the liberation a Nazi concentration camp.

I hate to be picky, but Band of Brothers came out 2 years after Office Space was released. If anything, it's just a coincidence. I also find that a lot of people pull up nazis when referring to pretty much anything oppressive.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I was watching The Royal Tenenbaums last night, and caught one thing I never picked up on before.

When Margot is leaving Raleigh for the first time, and they're waiting for the cab, she steps into the phone booth. The camera pans to Dudley, and he mentions that the car has a dent in it. The camera pans back, and she's already done.

The next scene has her entering her old room and closet, and Eli's there, waiting for her. I always wondered both why he was there, and how she knew, but it wasn't until last night that I realized she called him right as she was leaving.

Also, in the scene where Eli's on TV, being interviewed, he freaks out and leaves. Royal says "What the hell kind of way to act is that?", and Margot immediately goes to the phone, to presumably call him.

In fact, every phone conversation that Margot has in the film is with Eli, including the "especially NOT a genius" one, early on.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

BonesJackson posted:

Don't know if I buy that. Certainly possible but I don't know that there's enough to substantiate it.

As far as the closet scene goes, I don't think either Margot or Eli knew they would run into each other there, but Eli's not-so-secret infatuation with the Tenenbaum family (and especially Margot) has led to this sort of circumstance numerous times in the past so it doesn't come entirely as a shock. Sort of like when Mama Baum says that Eli has been sending her his grades and book reviews for years. They all just brush it off as Eli being Eli.

While I agree that Eli's infatuation is no secret, Margot hasn't been home in years, so why would she expect Eli to be hiding in the closet? If that's something that happens every weekend when she arrives, maybe, but I don't think that's the case. Also, who else would she be calling?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

BonesJackson posted:

She doesn't expect it; it just isn't so far out of his usual weird behavior as to surprise her. Now it's been a few years since I've seen the movie, but doesn't Eli just apologize and promptly leave? Why would he do that if either one was expecting the other? It's more that he was caught in the act again and, as if by routine, apologizes for his oddness and goes.

And I'm not saying Margot doesn't call Eli in those other instances, there's simply not enough info to say she does. It may be a case of a character doing what a character does and not necessary related to anything going on on the screen.

He doesn't apologize and leave, the scene ends when he pops out from behind her hanging clothes and puts his hat on. Plus, the moment she opens the door to her closet, she says hello. Twice, actually.

EDIT: Neat! I found it (well, the whole movie, but still... I moused over the video's timeline at a glance, and the first mini-screenshot was Eli standing in the closet. I'm that good :smug:)

This clip starts right before the scene where Margot gets the cab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB8bXEp4OIs&t=1197s

EDIT 2: God, what a fantastic scene afterwards, the whole "Baby I'm dying... ok, I'm not dying... well.. I'm dying," thing. I love this film so much :allears:

BonesJackson posted:

As a side note: "That cab has a dent in it," is one of my favorite lines from the whole flick.

For me, it's a toss-up between "I'm not color-blind, am I?", the whole dying/not dying thing, and Eli's messed up reaction to Royal yelling "I know you, rear end in a top hat!". Just the hand to the sky.

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 20:26 on Jun 28, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Little Blue Couch posted:

Yeah no way, Margot is clearly calling Eli in pretty much all the scenes where she disappears or is actually on the phone. Throughout the whole movie, she only honestly talks to Eli and Richie, and she comes off as kind of scared of actually talking to Richie. The actual breadth of the Eli/Margot relationship is strongly hinted at but never outright stated.

Okay I was looking up Richie Tenenbaum on Wikipedia and I just learned this thing:

Is that a thing? I really don't remember that.

Watch it with commentary, Wes Anderson mentions it I think during the scene where Ritchie is at Eli's place.

"What'd you say?"
"Hmm?"
"What?"
"I didn't say anything."
"When, right now?"
*nods*

It's either then when he mentions it in the commentary, or during the dinner meeting when Ritchie mentions that Royal's already in the house.

EDIT: This might be reaching, but I think I just noticed something. In RT, the only person to say 'gently caress' is Royal (twice, as far as I know, with "The gently caress you care?" when he's on the floor, and "kind of a 'gently caress you' to the old man, I suppose" when talking to Ari and Uzi.) In The Life Aquatic, Bill Murray, to my knowledge, is the only person to say 'gently caress' as well. Is Jason Schwartzman's character in Rushmore the same? I've only seen it once.

I think it'd be kind of neat if Anderson had some sort of rule where only the leading role gets to swear, but again, this is probably reaching.

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 13:58 on Jun 29, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Caught another subtle moment in Ghostbusters yesterday. When Dana first meets the guys, and she's hooked up to the machine that looks like it's measuring the heat of her head (though I'm sure it's meant to represent something else, as later it's a terror dog when Luis uses it), Egon says "She's telling the truth, or at least she thinks she is."

Dana replies with "Well, of course I'm telling the truth, who would make up a story like that?" and then mouths the word "rear end in a top hat."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

About the Resident Evil thing, I always thought it was a goof that they removed the bodies from the laser hallway, but at one point, very quickly, someone actually asks "Where the hell are the bodies?". And it's never explained. What the hell?

EDIT: Welp, just checked out IMDB's trivia for the first film...

IMDB posted:

After returning to the laser hallway they find the bodies have vanished. This is a direct reference to the games, in which the bodies will vanish if you leave and reenter an area. Kaplan's lines draw attention to this.

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Jul 23, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wow, I never saw Galaxy Quest, and I also didn't realize Sigourney Weaver was that stacked.

:stare:

She'll always be Dana Barrett to me.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The broken bones posted:

-Alan Tudyk voiced King Candy and his voice was clearly influenced by Roger Rabbit. In one particular scene, King Candy pulls out some glasses from behind his back and said "you wouldn't hit a guy with glasses, would you?" That line's taken directly from Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Both movies also featured a fictional world in which characters in individual fictional worlds are part of a much larger integrated community.

Try as I might, I don't recall this line from WFRR, and I've watched it countless times.

EDIT: I was just going to say 'I remember the Joker saying it during the final fight...'.

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 16:08 on Jan 7, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Kind of a silly one, but at the end of Wayne's World they have the Scooby-Doo ending, and it turns out Rob Lowe was Old Man Withers, who owns the amusement park. It's an amusing little joke about Scooby-Doo.

But in the first part of the movie, when Wayne goes into the doughnut shop, he sees Old Man Withers sitting there and asks him how his amusement park is doing.

Also, in the first movie, they have a red-rope licorice dispenser in the MirthMobile. The second film has Garth offering some to Honey Horné, and then at the end, he and his nerd girlfriend are eating some. I like consistency!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

All of this IB talk has me remembering my all-time favourite moment in film; the moment Landa is introduced to Shoshanna. The incredibly tense and over-the-top-but-fitting music sells it perfectly.

That, Mr. Tarantino, is a bingo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

In Who Framed Roger Rabbit , Judge Doom buys up ToonTown, and someone questions where he got the money.

When Eddie is telling Roger about what happened to his brother, he mentions that the case involved going after a guy who 'made off with a million simoleans'.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Those simoleans also get mentioned when Eddie is first introduced to Judge Doom. When Eddie wonders how Doom got to be a judge, his cop buddy tells him he bought the election with a bunch of simoleans.

Ah, that's actually what I was referring to when I said 'someone questions where he got the money'. Turns out it was Eddie himself.

That's it!! THAT'S the connection!!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I feel like I'm fairly open to a lot of sketch shows/sketch show humour, I actually love the self-contained nature of it, and appreciate absurdity and surreal jokes, but gently caress Snuff Box six ways from Sunday. I have tried about 6 or 7 different times to give it a chance and every single time, I think I end up disliking it more.

The only skit of theirs I've even come close to liking was the one where the guy helps out these women, but completely changes his mind when he finds out they aren't single.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

syscall girl posted:

The one where the star didn't kill someone

Who's this now?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Not a movie, but in the Father Ted Christmas Special ('A Christmassy Ted'), at one point, 8 priests find themselves lost in the Ireland's largest lingerie section during Christmas time. While trying to escape, one priest hurts his eye when a bra that he's messing with snaps back and hits him.

About 20-25 minutes later, when Ted and everyone are getting set up for the Golden Cleric ceremony, that same priest, who hasn't been mentioned whatsoever since, can be seen in the background with an eyepatch on.

I love this show so much, especially this episode.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Homeybeef posted:

Tv moment:

Episode 5 of the most recent season of Bojack Horseman, Bojack calls Princess Carolyn complaining about having to learn too many new lines. He says "no show should have this much talking, TV is a visual medium". The next episode is Free Churro, the one that has Bojack talking for 20 uninterrupted minutes.

I really need to give this show a chance, huh?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The speed, relatively quiet sound, and sudden nature of when Butch shoots Vince was always very unnerving to me.

Same feeling I get when Jules casually murders the guy on the couch, just like that. Love the film partially because it still makes me feel that way.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

jazzyjay posted:

Look I think everyone just needs to watch Pulp Fiction again cause it's excellent.

Here's a fun one for you. John Travolta plays sloppy smacky hit man Vincent Vega. Psycho ear choppy Mr Blonde's real name is Victor Vega; they're brothers. This plus other clues show that Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs are in the same universe. So is Mr Orange (Tim Roth) also Pumpkin (Tim Roth)? Is Mr White the Wolf's day job? Explain and support your arguments.

Don't forget True Romance; the part in Reservoir Dogs with Mr White and Joe, Joe asks about Alabama, which was Patricia Arquette's character from TR.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jedit posted:

And a thousand video games, it feels like. Years later in Guild Wars the male and female /dance emotes for Warriors would re-enact the Jackrabbit Slim's scene - and correctly, as GW's dance emotes were cleverly set up to synchronise if you did them near someone of the same class. In the same way, you could get a bunch of Necromancers together and recreate the group dance scene from Thriller.

I initially read this as Gears of War, and got really confused by the end of the post.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Samovar posted:

I really liked it, too.

Speaking of Cohen brothers films that people didn't like, I really enjoyed The Ladykillers. How Tom Hanks delivers his lines was fantastically done.

Also, it was my first non-Vern Shillinger JK Simmons experience, so that was interesting.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Biplane posted:

Being Lumberg would be a blessing because he loved doing his job.

Ooooooh, yeah... I'm just going to have to go and disagree with you there. Mmmm, yeah.

I'm not saying he hated it. I'm saying he was devoid of any and all emotion. I don't think he loved anything. He just existed.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Biplane posted:

Have you even seen Office Space? The level of satisfied smugness radiating from him is extremely obvious.

I would say that smug is the closest he gets to feeling anything.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

He got to feel the inside of Jennifer Aniston, didn't he.

Wrong Lumbergh.

Did you see Office Space? :colbert:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Slippery posted:

God, can you even ask this question sincerely? Donnie Darko and Fight Club might garner eye-rolls, if someone says their no poo poo favorite flick is Atlas Shrugged I'm gonna Atlas Sprinted the gently caress out of that conversation

:golfclap:

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

*Boondock Saints sits sadly at the top of the stairs, looking into the middle distance*

Oh man. I agree that Atlas Shrugged is #1 in the warning sign department, but we can't forget about this gem.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I sort of liked Boondock Saints, but really didn't like the part about the cleaner. Something about some emotionless psycho systematically taking out an entire family just because bothers me. I know it's fiction, but it reminds me that it happens in the real world, and ugh :smith:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

It was easy when we were kids, but these days the idea that you can have a single favourite movie kind of weirds me out.

I will never be able to choose between Jurassic Park and Ghostbusters.

Holy poo poo, fuckin' same :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I think it's worth drawing a distinction between someone's favourite movie, and the movie they think is the best. My favourite movie is Some Like It Hot but I don't think it's the best movie I ever saw. It's just the one I love most.

Yeah, this right here.

Also, bell jar, look into the archived Ghostbusters thread in CD; the OP written by echoplex was extremely detailed about their praise for the film, and hits it right on the nose as to why it was such a good movie, and likely the top horror comedy forever. That post was like a thesis.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

bell jar posted:

Do you have a link to this? Sounds good

Absolutely, here you go:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3184282&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Phy posted:

I read The Marching Morons by Cyril Kornbluth when I was very young, so when Idiocracy came out, I was kind of, I dunno, over it? Like, both are extremely similar in their premise and settings.

Major differences: in Morons, there are a very few very intelligent people left, secretly running the world but falling farther and farther behind. They enlist the regular schlub from the past into helping them solve the too-many-idiots problem. Schlub's solution is to launch everyone they can into the sun, selling it to his victims as a free trip to sunny Venus. So they launch most of the earth's population into the sun, and the story ends with the smart people grabbing the regular schlub and launching him into the sun as well, because what kind of monster thinks of a plan like "Launch the earth's population into the sun"?

Holy poo poo, I need to read this.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

VideoGames posted:

This thread has been in my bookmarks for years. I love it and learned so many subtle movie moments from it as well as the detail provided by Echoplex and others.

I know that, in this very thread, I've posted a few subtle moments from GB. The Sedgewick billing scene is my favourite of these.

EDIT: ha, my first post ITT, from 2012:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ghostbusters. The moment when they're charging the Sedgewick Hotel their fees, Peter has no idea what to charge. Egon puts his hand up near his face, like just a random, slow gesture, holding up the amount Peter has to ask for.

I've watched this film since I was 4 years old, I can quote it back to front, and I didn't notice this until someone in the GB thread in CD pointed it out.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MichiganCubbie posted:

If I see Blues Brothers on, I'll watch it until the end, and I've seen it dozens of times.

I, no fooling, feel the exact same way about A League of Their Own. That whole movie is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Queen Combat posted:

I really need to watch this one of these years.

You really should. It's not groundbreaking or anything, but it's got a perfect flow, great acting, and is just all-around great.

Up until recently, I thought Geena Davis played Older Dottie in the present (the whole story is a flashback), but no; that was Lynn Cartwright, with Geena Davis' voice. She just looked so much like her, it was nuts.

Edit: also, from IMDB...

"During filming of the World Series games, stars took turns entertaining the unpaid extras. Tom Hanks did puppet shows over the dugout, Rosie O'Donnell did stand-up comedy; and various actors pretended to be Madonna and sang her songs after the singer balked at performing for the fans."

If that's true, gently caress you, Madonna.

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 06:12 on Jan 19, 2019