Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Stephen Baldwin seems like a putz IRL, but his performance in The Usual Suspects was great. Everyone's was. Dan Hedaya is good in it. I'm not saying it's a perfect movie, but everyone in front of the camera did a fine job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

synthetik posted:

A platinum account apparently.

I have one, and it looks like this is just some lame joke.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

What's the name of the podcast?

http://372pages.com/

By the Rifftrax guys.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, weird. I've never heard of The Eye of Argon, but Daggerfall had a patch/mod way back in 1996 called The Eye of Argonia.

https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Eye_of_Argonia_(Mod)

I never knew that it was likely a coincidental pun. I mean, I assume it is?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I really hope you meant Police Squad and not Police Academy.

Lumping Airplane in there, it has to be Squad.

Right? :ohdear:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I think a PYF TV edits for movies thread would have some legs.

"Everything was working just fine, your honour, until the protection grid was shut off by Wally Wick!"

"Is this true?"

"Yes, your honour, this man is some kind of rodent. I don't know which."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, the jokes about race in that movie weren't "Haha, black people" but "Haha, look how ignorant and cruel the white people are about black people"

Yeah, if anything, those jokes have gotten more prevalent, which is nice.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RandomFerret posted:

Comedy is funnier now than it's ever been, Mel Brooks' brain has just calcified from age and he can't come up with new material. When somebody tells you the poo poo you're saying isn't funny anymore, you don't go whining to the news media, you SAY SOME DIFFERENT poo poo

Yeah, this. There's still a ton of funny poo poo out there that isn't in the least problematic.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sulla Faex posted:

What adds another small layer to it is that none of those people is australian

I was going to correct you on Russell Crowe, but welp, born in NZ (though resided mainly in Australia).

The more you knooooooow.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Greggster posted:

In the movie Se7en, Brad Pitt is asking what's in the box because he can't read the information that's on the box, detailing what the box contains.

In wwz, Brad Pitts character Picks up the various diseases at random because the character is a nod at his character inSe7en.

I've read this post about 7 times now and still don't get it.

Unless it's purposely bullshit, in which case, carry on.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

syscall girl posted:

It was very edgy but there are worse movies.

The first book, the only one I read, was very enjoyable and weird. I don't think it needed two sequels, and the movie was absolutely terrible.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

mostlygray posted:

It is a made up term. The backronym I heard as a kid was "The spec Without An Interesting Name". Never the two shall meet was where the term came from but it was decided to make it a backronym from the start. It varies from story to story though.

Also TWAIN was a pain in the rear end to deal with unless you did a raw TWAIN acquire from Photoshop or another TWAIN acquire application. Scanning a document used to require a CS degree.

Now scanners just work.

Holy poo poo, I had successfully removed all of this knowledge from my general, everyday thoughts, and I kind of hate that now it's back in there :argh:

Yes, scanners used to be deceptively complex and troublesome. "But why won't it just work?!" is a question others have thrown at me many times, while I troubleshoot their problem.

:negative:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

syscall girl posted:

This doesn't really qualify as a SMM but at the end of Bohemian Rhapsody Freddy Mercury at Live Aid is wearing Adidas

I love Adidas and that is all

They pay me to say this

I swear the word ADIDAS comes out of his gibberish scatting during Under Pressure.

"People on the street..."

*INADIDAS*

"People on the street..."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Wicked Witch of the East is the Decoy Octopus of the Oz series.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Phy posted:

There's also the school shooting from Canadian cop drama 19-2 (trigger warning if y'all need it, it's a school shooting)
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2f6jgz

Couple of things: 19-2 was originally a Québécois cop show, that got adapted for the Anglo audience. The guy who directed the French version of this episode also got brought back in for the English. Also, the first guy outta the car is Jared Keeso, one of the series leads; you probably know him better as Wayne from Letterkenny.

Holy poo poo, I kept meaning to check this show out, and now I definitely will.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

That's extremely loving tense, wow. And holy poo poo, speaking of Letterkenny, the cop at 7:48 is the head of the ag council/the swinger husband/mullet guy!

McMurray?

EDIT: Yeah, just checked IMDB, wow, that's him. I had never heard of 19-2 until after I had started watching Letterkenny. It's nice that they went from something as serious as that to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rSBmOgpcDE

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 20:10 on Mar 5, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The one pointing up is Alt 130 and the others are around there, I just keep trying until I find them.

I think Alt 0169 or 0233 is one of the accents. The other is the copyright symbol.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Gejimayu posted:

For content: does anyone have a favorite director that they would include here, but their movies are so full of subtleties that they just don't bother because it'd be a long list? I feel like Charlie Kaufman makes me feel like this. Sometimes the Coen Bros as well. Who would you recommend as a film maker that just makes movies that have a lot to unpack and reward multiple viewings?

I was going to say, Adaptation might be the best movie for this kind of thing. There are layers and layers, hidden 'gags' (though they're not meant to really be funny). That movie is one of my favourites, because it's just so good. And it's not reliant on a gimmick, because it's got a genuinely good story, excellent acting, probably Nicolas Cage at his professional peak, because he's really all over the map. Everyone in it is fantastic, Chris Cooper sells the gently caress out of his role. And then you get into all of the meta stuff.

My favourite quick example of something from that movie is the 'struggling' brother (was that Charlie, or Donald?) attending the writing workshop, and the speaker, played by Brian Cox, yells out 'and for god's sake, DON'T USE NARRATION!'.

Up until that very moment, Cage as Charlie or Donald (I really can't remember which one was doing poorly, I think it was Charlie) was narrating everything, and from that moment on in the film, he doesn't.

EDIT: It really is a movie about the movie you're watching, which was supposed to be based on a book about a flower.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Adaptation is a movie about the making of a movie about the writing of a book about the writing of an article about a flower.

Ok, yeah, this is a better way to think of it.

And that makes the movie's cover art/main poster make so much more sense.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

OK, so I haven't seen any of the Avengers movies, or any MCU movies outside of Iron Man 1. I just wanted to ask a very small question... Why the hell does Thanos want to wipe out everyone? Is there any sort of real, understandable-but-still-bad motivation there?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

If anyone wants to take a serious look at 'what if a huge number of people just disappeared one day?' definitely check out HBO's now-finished series, 'The Leftovers'. It's excellent and downright chilling at times.

It touches on stuff like 'what if you were being driven somewhere, and the driver 'departed'? What if you were pregnant? What if you were Gary Busey?' but in an unnerving way. And then it gets crazy.

And it may or may not actually explain everything at the end :getin:

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 12:23 on May 1, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

The Leftovers is interesting because it doesn't explain why 5% of the population disappears. It just happens. The focus of the series is the aftermath & what happens to society that's left to deal with it.

Well, if we want to get into it, and put death of the author aside for a bit...

Leftovers spoilers ahoy!

Originally, Lindelof wanted to immediately show the other side of what happened, during the scene where the baby disappears from the mother's car. It would show the baby, crying alone, and no one is in the front seat (or around the car, either). Someone advised against it, and so that was built into Nora's explanation. However, there's enough doubt in both her story (she had reasons to lie), and also that quick moment just as she's about to be sent there where she starts to protest, that it leaves it open. But apparently, that whole scientific explanation that Mark Linn Baker and the scientists talked about is actually what it was, at least in Lindelof's head and original intent

Then again, the author of the novel never gave out any sort of explanation, so :shrug:

I do love that it's not official, though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Krinkle posted:

I just watched Who Framed Roger Rabbit for the first time since 1990 and it was a goddamned delight. None of these things are subtle but they did go over my head, as a child.

He has a depressed night drinking by himself and reminiscing on old times and the camera passes over an old family photo for a second. His dad was a clown and he and his brother toured with him in the circus. I had thought, at the time, that he was trying and failing to do some kind of impromptu act at the end of the movie, but no. He was a trained clown the whole time. Those were purposeful pratfalls. He sold it by only looking like an oaf.

The logo for cloverfield. That the toon what killed Eddie's brother stole 'a zillion simoleons' and also judge doom bought his position by 'spreading simoleons around toon town, bought some votes'. gently caress. That Judge Doom is always wearing gloves but he wears EXTRA gloves when he interacts with the Dip.

There are so many sex jokes. And all the real world objects that every toon is interacting with at all times are just fantastic. Goddamn. What a delightful movie.

Hi, I love WFRR more than anyone I know, and love this post. Your first part, about the pratfalls, I never put that together. I just chalked it up to Eddie finally letting loose and being silly and goofy again, which happens to be the key to his success in that moment. He's spent so much time upset, drunk, serious, done with joy for the foreseeable future, and giving in to silliness is what saves him and the others, which is also what Roger has been trying to do the whole time (make him lighten up, I mean).

And yes, the movie is brilliant, but not just from a technical standpoint; the whole idea behind it, the whole thing only works if the audience believes that the real people actually see and are truly dealing with these living cartoons, and I have to hand it to literally everyone who has any sort of interaction with a toon, because they loving nailed it. Not just Bob Hoskins (though his work is astounding, here), but Christopher Lloyd, Joanna Cassidy, Joel Silver as Raoul, the angry director at the beginning, and everyone that I'm forgetting or can't name right now... there's not a bad one in the bunch. poo poo, even the guys at the night club who get pushed around and teased by Jessica make it believable.

On that note, gently caress you, Cool World. What a goddamned waste of time. :argh:

Also, a little note to anyone who's a parent, reading this; the guy who played Angelo is also the voice of Daddy Pig on 'Peppa Pig'.

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 16:48 on May 7, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cleretic posted:

It's not really a 'subtle movie moment', but one of my favorite facts about Who Framed Roger Rabbit is that to appease both companies, Disney and Looney Tunes characters needed to be on-screen for the exact same amount of time, down to the second. I've always thought that was an impressive feat of planning to pull off.

I believe that they (Bugs and Mickey) had to deliver the exact same number of words, as well.

Even with that agreement, that poo poo would never fly today, and I'm sad about that.

Fuckin film is lightning in a bottle, holy poo poo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I have young nieces and holy poo poo. Daddy Pig is the best, this is wonderful information.

"Uhhh...why yes, Mr Wolf. I've seen a rabbit. Oh dear."

Edit: unintentional double post. gently caress.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I think my favourite (non-subtle) 'wow, they went that far' moment in WFRR is when Roger is about to sit in Teddy's chair, Eddie yells at him, and he pulls away, leaving fingerprints on the dust.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Smile, darn ya! Smile!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

freeedr posted:

I hate that movie very much, but I gotta say it does have a ton of moments perfect for this thread.

Can you elaborate on why you hate it? I'm genuinely curious because I have actually never met anyone who didn't have anything less than "it's ok" to say about it. I'm not trying to call you out or anything, I just really want to know.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I never quite got why there would be paint from the toon gloves on the rope. Is there any other point in the movie where toons leave paint behind?

I think you've found the first plot hole in the movie, I guess.

It was in a box, near the singing sword.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

IBroughttheFunk posted:

The fact that Judge Doom never blinks in any of his scenes will always be one of my favorite details from WFRR. Christopher Lloyd did such a goddamn good job with that role.

I also love that he's very, VERY scared off the dip when it spills in the bar. I mean, everyone's backing up from it, so the viewer doesn't notice the first (or fifth) time through, but there's some extra terror in Judge Doom there.

That, and the double gloves, of course.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Nah, that's mostly the teeth being all VVVVVV and also the insane smoothness that lets them glide through the water.

Also, they literally never sleep. Well, not deeply, like almost everything else does:

https://www.thoughtco.com/do-sharks-sleep-2291555

That seems like some sort of hell that I can't even imagine :stare:

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 12:03 on May 10, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

For some reason I have a memory of Dean Koontz having been revealed as a pseudonym for a group of terrible young writers.

I've never heard this. However, I was once totally convinced that Bentley Little was the second pseudonym attempt by Stephen King. I was not correct.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Now I'm picturing Hannibal getting along splendidly with Frasier.

Iirc King has a mixed relationship with adaptations, makes sense since there's been so many of them. With The Mist his reaction was basically 'why didn't I think of that?'

Ending aside, obviously, but Frank Darabont was somehow able to perfectly bring that story from page to screen. Like, it's incredible and maybe it's just a coincidence, but wow, that movie was exactly what I pictured when reading the story.

Frank Darabont should take on The Jaunt, and he's the only one who I would 100% trust with it. The Jaunt needs to be adapted.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Torquemada posted:

It’s an excellent story, but you’d have to think up a realistic way for the kid to duck the meds. There’s no way they’d just trust you to take them without monitoring the poo poo out of you.

I think it'd make a better short film. Something like 30-ish minutes. It's so compact and good, it doesn't need elaborating.

To date, it's the only King story that just fucks with my mind the more I think about it. I mean.... it's one thing to go through the gate awake, but it's a different thing entirely to go through one set to 'null'. And that dude didn't get charged for murder, since 'technically, his wife is still alive.... somewhere'.

Jesus christ :psyduck: :wtc:

Goddamn, it's so good. I think my love of The Jaunt is why I love Black Mirror's 'White Christmas' so much.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm thinking Stephen King could successfully bring back Creepshow as a streaming miniseries.

Oh my god, please... PLEASE. Creepshow was just so good. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it lacked the Crypt Keeper. Maybe both series could amalgamate, or King could just write for TftC.

Either way, I need a horror anthology series :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Am I misremembering a King story (possibly from Nightmares & Dreamscapes) where a guy starts dying because he committed murder? It's like how a bumblebee dies if it tries to attack, and this was some sort of drug in the water that was meant to stop people killing each other. The story was a letter from the guy as he loses his mind after killing his brother.

Am I just making this all up?

EDIT: Nevermind, it was the aforementioned 'The End of the Whole Mess', except minus the 'this will kill you if you kill', and moreso just 'this will kill you'.

So where the gently caress am I getting this bumblebee/die-if-you-kill memory? Is that sort of thing mentioned in the story? Man, it's been too long.

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 13:27 on May 23, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Straight White Shark posted:

Bumblebees feature prominently in the genius brother's explanation of his plan, although IIRC they're only mentioned in passing as a contrast to the hornets that he's using to demonstrate the drug's effects.

There we go, thank you!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Randalor posted:

It was a good adaptation and I've got high hopes for the second one. If they used It's success to kick off a "King-verse", I wouldn't mind it. Unless you're talking about "spin off as many movies tying in to Pennywise as you can"... no, just no. Partially because that means Dreamcatcher would have to be adapted, and that book was just poo poo.

Don't you mean 're-adapted'? Or did I miss some part of the conversation?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0285531/

Or was that :thejoke:?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Holy poo poo, I literally asked for this a page or so ago, and guess what?

Creepshow is becoming an anthology series!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

House 2 will always have the best tagline/subtitle.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093220/mediaviewer/rm121793024

I assume you mean 'The Second Story', but I'm going to choose to believe you meant 'It's getting weirder!' because you failed to provide a link, or mention it, and that's dumb :colbert: