Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Captain Monkey posted:

These would be fine if you weren't weirdly seeking approval from goons. That's always the problem with favorite movies, they're used by a person to try and define themselves.

Its weird.

That's very true. Remember when Facebook was really new, when it was only for college students, and they had the personalized favorite movies list? Everyone was making groups and inviting people who also liked whatever movie. It was so weird.

Aleph Null posted:

I tried to make an honest-to-godless list of my favorite movies and stopped when I got to 25.

This is also true. There was a comment like four or five pages back about people who can definitively say that they only have one "favorite" movie. As I'm sitting here I've thought of ten more that should be considered favorites. If I see Blues Brothers on, I'll watch it until the end, and I've seen it dozens of times.

MichiganCubbie has a new favorite as of 23:57 on Jan 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I think Dalton was supposed to star in Goldeneye with filming starting in like 91 or 92, but the lawsuits kept it from being made until 95, and Brosnan was ready to film at that point.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

ruddiger posted:

There's no fuckin' way Bugs Bunny would be hanging out with a square like Mickey Mouse.

Eh, 30s/40s Mickey was a dick. He'd fit in perfectly with Bugs. 70s and on Mickey is just a boring character, though.

Donald Duck is always great, whatever era he's in.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Android Apocalypse posted:

I liked how the Hannibal tv show looked. Bryan Fuller convinced me he had a visual style I liked, which is one of the reasons I was willing to give American Gods a chance. Shame he left that show too.

Fuller is weird to me. I love his style, but I didn't like how much he changed Star Trek for Discovery, rather than simply changing the setting of the time. I also didn't like how he jumped ship to work on American Gods, and then jumped ship from that to work on the Anne Rice series.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Nazattack posted:

I'm watching Infinity War again.

Ned totally tells the audience that they all are, in fact, going to die. And then later, as soon as Peter says "Jesus" Iron Man stops - Only people from earth would know about Jesus.

No, Peter's from Missouri.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

So I posted this on Reddit a couple days ago and realized that you guys would definitely appreciate this. I was watching Brendan Fraser's Mummy this weekend when I noticed something. Through the early movie they show Mr. Burns, one of the Americans, as needing glasses, to the point of being blind. They make mention of it like three times, like while they're playing poker, and later during the dig. He's the first victim of Imhotep, unable to run after losing his glasses. Imhotep takes his eyes and tongue. Soon after, Evie runs into Imhotep and he's immediately like "Anck-Su-Namun?"

Imhotep mistakes Evie as his lover because he has Mr. Burns's eyes, and now needs glasses. Just like Mr. Burns, he's now basically blind without glasses. You can even see Imhotep squinting at Evie and asking her questioningly if she's Anck-Su-Namun. He basically just woke up, doesn't know where he is, could be in the underworld, and sees who he thinks is his girlfriend.

It's not until later, after he's eaten a couple more people, that his eyes become better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKpNfOR9vF4&t=293s

I'll go one step further and say that the entire sacrifice of Evie/reincarnation of Anck-Su-Namun storyline is kicked off because Imhotep can't see. If he ran into someone else instead of Burns first, he would have had good eyes and immediately seen that Evie isn't his girlfriend. I realize this is kinda hurt by the second movie, because now he should remember Evie as a reincarnation of the Pharaoh's daughter, but as a standalone I think this works.

In addition, this might be why Beni survives initially, because Imhotep needs a guide to get anywhere in the beginning. Dude can't see. Beni speaking "the languages of the Slaves" simply indicates to Imhotep that he's useful, and can help him get to the others, who are on their way to Cairo.

MichiganCubbie has a new favorite as of 15:03 on Jul 8, 2019

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yes, that Twitter account is how I was introduced to the Wilford paradox, but a few years ago it occurred to me that Brimley should be long dead if he starred as an old person in Cocoon. That’s when I discovered Brimley being old was a lie from my childhood.

From then on he got typecast as an old guy until he really was one.

That's how Patrick Stewart pulls off the ageless persona. He went bald at like 19, so he was "old" forever. It also helps that he was already in his forties when he really became famous.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's too obvious a reaction to not be deliberate. Perhaps it was Doc marveling at the moment his invention went from theoretical to practical. 30 years is a long time to wait when you first get your inspiration at **checks notes** 17 years of age. poo poo, Christopher Lloyd looked vaguely young on Taxi and then pretty much was old for the rest of his career.

Wait, are you saying that you think 1955 Doc Brown is supposed to be 17? I always assumed that 55 Doc Brown was in his mid-late 30s or a bit older and 85 Doc was mid-late 60s or a bit older.

edit: according to the novelization of the film, Doc is 35 in 1955 and 65 in 1985.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

The whole reason the movie happens is because Doc has refueled the DeLorean to go on a trip 30 years into the future (“I, Doctor Emmet Brown, am about to embark on an historic journey”) but forgot to pack extra plutonium to get back.

Obviously he thought that in 2015 Plutonium would be available at every corner store.

One joke that I absolutely love in 2 is when he proudly shows off his rejuvenation surgery, since he was wearing an old man mask, and he basically looks the same. Like, they did add a few wrinkles, but he's the same.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

I know he's not supposed to his real age, I just couldn't figure out how old he'd be in 1955 to still look the same in 1985. They make the same joke about the Principal who is another actor who never really ages either because he's bald.

One problem for me is the hair color. If they gave him darker hair than the light blond in 1955, he'd look much younger.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

I like it a bunch although I think it goes downhill once Hemsworth shows up. Good performance, but I feel like the pacing gets pretty bad in the third act.

I absolutely agree with you. It went downhill hard for me once he showed up, and I lived the first two thirds.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

If it’s spider DNA Brooklyn should have been swarmed with an infinite multiverses’ supply of radioactive spiders.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The first few minutes of JP pretty much show you all the themes as well as exactly what's going to happen in the rest of the film. Oh no, a horrible King-Kong-esque giant monster is coming through the trees - oh wait, it's just a forklift (modern technology) blindly crashing along, pushing nature out of its way. This poo poo is dangerous but we've got dozens of trained professionals and all sorts of security protocols in place - whoops, poo poo went horribly wrong and here comes the yelling and the screaming anyway! The team desperately initiates the safety measures and tries to save the badly mauled guy from ~ ah gently caress it, just shoot it and cut our losses, nothing can be saved, we're done.

Edit: another subtle JP moment: about halfway though the movie there's a scene where Hammond is sitting in the JP restaurant eating tubs of icecream and he explains to Ellie that since the power was off the icecream was going to melt and he didn't want to let it go to waste. Later when the kids are trying to escape from the raptors in the kitchen Tim lures one into the walk-in freezer and only just manages to trap it because it's slipping around on the wet floor ... which is flooded with melted ice because Hammond left the door open when he was getting the icecream.

I remembered that I posted that last one in this thread and I went back to find it. It was almost four years ago. That's insane.

I love that bit. It plays into Chaos. Life found a way to survive, through Hammond not caring about shutting the door, since the power was out either way.

MichiganCubbie posted:

Everyone knows this scene from Jurassic Park:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnRxQ3dcaQk

The kids get away because one of the raptors slips in the freezer after Tim runs in there, right? Then they lock him in and run away while the other raptor is still dazed from running headlong into a cabinet. But, why is the freezer sitting there open in the first place, with ice on the ground?

Earlier in the film, we see Hammond sitting in the dining room eating lots of ice cream . He says it's because it's all melting. The power was knocked out by Nedry, and everything, including the freezers, are off. Hammond went into the freezer, got ice cream, and left it open because it doesn't matter since the power's out. Everything is melting in the freezer, including all the ice.

After the power is turned on, the freezer restarts. All that melted ice is now water on the floor, which re-freezes. The door is still open from Hammond leaving it open, allowing Tim to run into it. The raptor slips on the ice that was allowed to melt and refreeze because of Hammond's action letting the freezer warm up faster than it would have if it was sealed.

Hammond leaving the door open allowed Tim and Lex to survive the kitchen, by giving Tim somewhere to run, and giving the raptor somewhere to slip. His thinking about ice cream saved his grandchildren.

One further than that, actually. Lex surviving the kitchen allows her to be able to be in the control center when the raptors attack again. This allows her to use the computer to lock all the doors. By locking the doors, Grant and Ellie survive. Hammond's desire for ice cream saves everybody.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

DandyLion posted:

Its one of those hidden pictures, except in this case instead of staring at it unfocused you have to move your head side to side (to introduce the motion required) to see it.

His vision is based on movement.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Gargamel Gibson posted:

There should have been a scene where Deckard dreams about a guy with his dick out.

Blade Cummer: The Final Uncut.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

couldcareless posted:

The best version is the one with the octopus in it.

I was at an art show once, and there was a guy who had painted a skyline for Toledo, Ohio. In the river of that painting was a big octopus. When asked about it, the artist said that it was a reference to the Goonies, and went on to explain all about the deleted scene, and how there isn't an octopus in Toledo either, but this is his Goonies joke.

It wasn't a good joke/reference, but the painting was kinda cool.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Hahaha, Hulk Hogan has been an absolute piece of poo poo for decades.

Maybe, but Thunderlips, the Ultimate Male is great and I don't really want to hear otherwise.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

They referenced Pirates of the Caribbean in the first movie so in that universe Disney probably was desperately trying to make dinosaurs for Animal Kingdom at some point.

In that universe, Animal Kingdom may never have been built. Dinosaur Kingdom would have been the way to go.

MGM Studios was pretty new when the movie came out.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Not a lot of people want to work with Mike Myers anymore, he's well known for being a narcissistic paranoid rear end in a top hat. He tried to minimize Dana Carvey's role in the first Wayne's World because he realized he was simply funnier. He could not understand why the head banging scene was funny and wanted it cut out. He prevented Penelope Spheeris from directing the sequel because he didn't like her. He thought Lorne Michaels would be able to get him Frederico Fellini as a director for a movie he wanted to make. Etc.

I also find him to be very one-note for the most part. Like he finds something funny and runs it completely into the ground. Or, in the case of the Love Guru, finds something unfunny and runs it completely into the ground. Not to mention that he uses that loving Scottish voice in almost every goddamn movie he's ever been in. The father in So I Married an Ax Murderer, Fat Bastard in Austin Powers, Shrek, etc, etc.

I just want him to go away.

I read something about this a while back and how now the best he can get are glorified cameos in movies like Inglorious Basterds or Bohemian Rhapsody. He hasn't had a movie since Love Guru, which is just loving painful to watch.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Why are we talking about best Ghost of Christmases Present and no one has mentioned Carol Kane yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKVVQiJ7gKo

I wish we could have seen the darker version of Scrooged that they apparently were filming. You can feel it hanging over the film like a specter, but the completed version never commits to it.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

I'll be honest, Christmas Present was my least favourite in Scrooged. It was just tiresome slapstick and I kind of got bored of her quickly.

I'll agree that she's the worst of the three. Past is absolutely amazing and Future is really effective, especially with the static TV face, but Carol Kane is a goddamn treasure and I'll hear nothing otherwise.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Do they ever take a bland existing script and jazz it up with a weird tie in? Some of these movies must have already existed in some state of development, but an executive producer figured they could get funding/attention if gave their Korean horror movie a Pizza Hut theme.

I have maintained that The Hateful Eight would have been amazing if right after Bruce Dern dies he turns into The Thing, and the rest of the movie is the humans trying to survive while fighting in a 1880s version of The Thing.

They have the soundtrack, the setting, the overall tone, a somewhat similar ending, there's a lot of The Thing in The Hateful Eight.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Jestery posted:

The versions of these in my head will only lead me to disappointment

I hope they don't remake Clue. The original is basically perfect.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

I love the :patriot: when they bring out the battleship.

And I love the badass cyborg.

And I also love that the aliens don't kill non-combatants.

I view the scene with the Missouri as the good type of Jingoism, if there can be such a type. If anyone deserves that sort of fanfare, it's the WWII generation, and that whole scene with them joining up with the main characters and getting the Missouri up and running is great.

I also appreciate that the aliens go out of their way to not hurt non-threats, even immediately stopping against threats that were attacking and began to retreat. It was nice to see that sort of attitude in an invasion movie.

MichiganCubbie has a new favorite as of 05:39 on Jan 10, 2020

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

They should have shown Little Shop with both endings in theaters. Imagine talking to someone about the plants winning.

Scratch that, they should have just stuck with Don't Feed the Plants. That ending is amazing.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Pastry of the Year posted:

The Japanese poster for Rampage was way better than what we got:

That is an amazing poster.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

oldpainless posted:

I have no idea. I’m not that familiar with the specifics of production in that industry. I’m sorry.

More like oldfapless.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

It irks me in virtually every lightsaber fight how they almost always aim for the air around their targets just to make sure there are lots of flourishes.

What I really want is a duel where we see both of them using the force to predict how the battle will draw out and then the actual fight is two moves that ends in a death.

This is what I liked about the sequel duels. At least in TFA, it felt more visceral and like Rey was trying to go for a kill.

RotJ's duel is like that, too. Luke is just bashing on Vader at the end.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They even do it for fun, tiny little gags. The second time I watched S7 I noticed that, during the 80’s flashback, Red Death has a magazine with an ad for a powder blue Nissan Stanza on the back.

I got the Venture Bros book a couple years ago. I highly recommend it. It's a great insight into a lot of what they were doing.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Agreed, and that's not to say it's bad. I think it's a pretty solid little action flick with some interesting characters but there was definitely a weird level of hype surrounding it when it came out that I just don't get. Maybe it was just the fact that Ansel Elgort was the star and he was actually not bad?

It has some really great real driving in it, and has some great moments. It's definitely not as good as it should be, though. The entire middle just drags with the whole fall in love with the waitress plotline.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Man, Tim Burton. What a perfect example of wasted talent, or something.

Planet of the Apes happened and everything he did since is pretty awful. Beetlejuice is a seriously great, weird, amazing movie.

More of those please and no more loving sinister mall goth Depp stuff.

He started doing straight adaptations of other things. Some adaptations worked, like Sleepy Hollow, which was right before PotA and it's amazing. I'd argue that Sweeney Todd is good, but it has all the trappings of "bad" Tim Burton in it. Mars Attacks was before, but it didn't really have enough source material to be considered an adaptation in my mind, and that's still a fun movie.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

TheKennedys posted:

God I hate Tim Burton, at least Tim Burton after having him and his pet cast shoved down our throats for years. The Burton Batmans (Batmen?) were good. Beetlejuice was great. I even enjoyed Sweeney Todd when it came out and being a huge musical theatre nerd was kind of A Thing in the circles I was in. But I'm so goddamn tired of his aesthetic and I'm tired of Johnny Depp playing one of two characters in everything opposite Helena Bonham Carter's one.

good - Pee-wee's Big Adventure
amazing - Beetlejuice
good - Batman
amazing - Edward Scissorhands
very good - Batman Returns
great - Ed Wood
eh, I love it - Mars Attacks!
just under amazing - Sleepy Hollow
terrible, but does have great makeup - Planet of the Apes
overrated honestly, but decent - Big Fish
unneeded, but the oompa-loompa songs are good - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
eh, soulless - Corpse Bride
I like it, but it feels soulless again - Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
nope - Alice in Wonderland
okay, but soulless - Dark Shadows
eh - Frankenweenie
never saw or cared - Big Eyes
never saw or cared - Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
never saw or cared - Dumbo

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Michael Keaton was the best Batman.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

God Hole posted:

i remember stumbling on from dusk till dawn on tv as a kid and my hair was blown the gently caress back by the twist. that twist was badass and really something special to genuinely experience

also remember being dragged to see cast away and even as a kid, thinking everyone was dumb and that this was a waste of time when we had all seen the trailer and knew he gets off the island

I have a Plex server with all my DVDs and Blu Rays ripped on it, and I change the descriptions to movies like From Dusk Til Dawn, Cabin in the Woods, and others to make sure that anyone who hasn't seen them isn't spoiled.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I know we're moving past it at this point, and I know I brought it up a bit with my Plex thing, but I failed to mention that I myself was surprised by From Dusk til Dawn when I first saw it in 95 or 96. That's one of the reasons I try to maintain an illusion of it being a pure crime movie for my friends who are looking for movies.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Android Apocalypse posted:

Executive Decision killing off Seagal halfway thru was a surprise to me but I was young & didn't catch that his billing in the movie poster denoted he wasn't going to have as big a role as Kurt Russell or Halle Berry.

I guess the death of Marion Crane in Psycho was one hell of a twist for people seeing it for the first time back in 1960.

Basically these are why Drew Barrymore was cast in Scream. No one thought they'd kill the biggest name in the movie (between her or Courtney Cox) in the first five minutes.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

NtotheTC posted:

Look the message of that film was subtle but it ended up being "Russia bad". A powerful concept that I think we can agree is as relevant today as it was then.

e; also "Russia cheating with drugs"

e; e; "and still losing"

Nah, the message is "If I can change, and you can change, maybe everyone can change!"

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

If they ever show a picture of Uncle Ben or have a flashback, I really, really hope he's Jason Alexander. They need to have Jason Alexander and Marisa Tomei be together.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Memento posted:

You're going to have to explain this one to me

There's a Seinfeld episode where George finds out that he's exactly Marissa Tomei's type, and he wants to explore dating her, but he's engaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I liked evil Cloud Galactus in FF2

It worked well for the movie and the era, but I think we've gotten to the point where the general public can accept a giant space man who wants to eat the planet.

This begs the question: could Galactus eat Ego?