Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Remulak posted:

Gilbert Gotfreid.

I'm sure you know that Gilbert Gottfried does not talk like that, normally.

It's a character he puts on.

There is no way anyone sounds like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT3G3VH2jto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59WtH65qUMA

wait

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ykInjAUemc

BaldDwarfOnPCP has a new favorite as of 07:49 on Jul 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Krispy Wafer posted:

Agreed. Spider-Man beat my expectations. The Getty images video just set the tone early.

I was also very happy he ditched the nano suit for some low tech options for most of the film. NIGHT MONKEY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQoDdifAvbI

actual spoiler edit The town that Spidey calls Happy from was it really called Buku Blunder Ville?

BaldDwarfOnPCP has a new favorite as of 04:21 on Jul 5, 2019

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Krispy Wafer posted:

Cary Elwes was smug, the worst infraction in a disaster movie.

Smug about nature :smaug:

Big mistake Westley

(also please edit your post to just say "racecars, lasers, aeroplanes" in bold allcaps)

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Gejimayu posted:

Yeah, Stranger Things has a lot of actors "From the Eighties" that help to evoke that nostalgia. Matthew Modine in S1, Paul Reiser and Sean Aston in S2, Cary Elwes in S3. Jake Busey in S3 but he's more 90s if he was ever famous enough to evoke nostalgia. Obviously Winona's Big Brown Beaver throughout.

Her 80s horror cred is mostly Beetlejuice. A comedy about someone dead not being able to make themselves known to the living so pretty on the nose.

I haven't seen s3 yet so looking forward to RoUSs?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Unmature posted:

Gonna hear Link as Mindy from Animaniacs forever now

Mindy would definitelly wreck some pottery.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
In Preacher season 4 episode 3 there is a fight in a sex club. Right before the guy in the gimp suit pulls a gun the music switches to Dick Dale, ala Tarantino.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Olaf The Stout posted:

Preacher is in its fourth season? I've never heard or seen a person in real life reference it at all, wow.

I like the cast. Not really sure where they're going with it anymore. Maybe it is jumping the same set of sharks that people say Supernatural* has been for years?

*never seen

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Krispy Wafer posted:

I’m a little surprised Preacher made it to the end. I’ve watched all but the last season and I’ve liked it, but it’s modest ratings were never going to justify the amount of poo poo AMC must get for making the holy scion whip out his dick and piss at every opportunity.

It’s impossible to describe the plot line with a straight face though. “And then in season 2 the supernatural preacher and his vampire buddy went on a road trip and the guy with an rear end in a top hat for a mouth meets Hitler.”

They have chill regular Jesus now as well as the incestual scion Humperdoo the dancing idiot so clearly they were trying to be sensitive to the oppressed Christian minority.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Gejimayu posted:

I couldn't watch BWE after Darmody died. It lost all appeal to me quickly because it was so staunchly about the struggle between the two of them. There just didnt seem to be anyone else strong enough to carry the show after that. Same thing happened with a certain anime that I wouldnt want to double spoil here but if you know what I'm talking about you know what I mean.

I'm just in S1 of BWE and uh, agreed.

I lost it with Dexter when they killed Doakes ffs.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Zedd posted:

30Rock.

V true

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Eclipse12 posted:

It: Chapter II has a line from Carpenter's Thing that was a nice little surprise. Hint: A head grows legs...

Out of a fortune cookie?

Related:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

RCarr posted:

Whats the subtle moment here?

The Joker.

and RE: the watermark, it's not out on BR or digital download yet so even though I saw it in a theater I had to get the pic elsewhere because I don't take screenshots in the theater with my phone

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I love all this Muppet love and will not fight about it.

Just popping in to say Waldorf and Statler were great, and having them be Marley and Marley may not have been subtle but

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VsiKOJOXMJU

e: the subtle point is there's only one Marley in Dickens

His name is not Bob

BaldDwarfOnPCP has a new favorite as of 03:30 on Sep 22, 2019

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cacafuego posted:

A Muppet Family Christmas is the superior Muppet Xmas movie. Fight me.

Every December, me, my wife and our friends still watch a standard def vhs recording that I burned on a dvd with the best commercials 1987 had to offer.

Fake edit: we also drink heavily throughout :v:

I do find 1987 commercials interesting.

Used to do a traditional drinking rewatch of betamaxmas.com (an old goon project) just for the ads and seeing Ole Ronnie give his super gone Xmas speech.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I started watching that show right before it went off Netflix so you just made my drat day right there.

Show is just so wholesome it's disgusting. :munch:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

"Hmmm, I need to have someone stop the plot and explain the deeper meaning to a Madonna song from years before. Holy poo poo, I can do that!"

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Decrepus posted:

I don't like any rap... other than eminem!

Everlast is okay I guess, and House of Pain

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

MC Leaky Boomboom Down

I heard Snow described as "having cred"

Remaining skeptical

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BiggerBoat posted:

Beastie Boys, motherfuckers.

I wasn’t being serious. I mean I like the Beastie Boys.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

oldpainless posted:

This is more of an appreciation thing but in Law and Order, they really capture how New York is an absolute shithole

Even more so in CI where it’s abundantly clear it’s top to bottom. Little top-heavy maybe.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Krankenstyle posted:

Do not go gentle into that good night:

Dylan Thomas (1914–53)

Ayy I’m a gladiator over here beating a titty club bouncer with a padlock on a chain.

What this is unacceptable did you see the movie Gladiator?

-Joe Pantoliano on The Sopranos sometime in the early 21st

And cue the Dead Can Dance end credits

God this is is some great coke

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Looks really cool from this side too man

Sorry

It’s not a subtle movie moment but in Unforgiven when Clint Eastwood was talking about death and murder

“It's a hell of a thing killin' a man. You take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.”

Sums up westerns and any other kind of show that treats death casually.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

In the new trailer for the new star wars movie, you can see Rey running through a forest. This is a subtle nod that this is fiction, because everyone knows white girls can't run in a forest without falling down and getting axe murdered.

She fought off Kylo Ren in a forest

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rWF0f183tSA

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Also going back to the Sopranos, AJ buys his mom Carmela a DVD as a gift. The Matrix. And Joey Pants is like one scene away.

“Thank you AJ I’ve never seen it”

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

That movie was also fiction, as you can tell early on, as they show Rey driving a speeder around, when everyone knows women actually can't drive.

Son of a bitch.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The fact that the other Marley is named Robert is the best joke in the film.

:hai:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

flatluigi posted:

the life and times of scrooge mcduck is fantastic and if you can somehow manage to find it all to read, you should

It's really good

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

bitterandtwisted posted:

Yeah I love matte paintings.
Maybe it's irrational, but obvious greenscreen backgrounds take me right out of a movie but an obvious matte painting doesn't.
Same with CG vs puppet creatures.

The cliffs of insanity :allears:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Gann Jerrod posted:

Now that the latest iteration is out of the public eye, they should do a horror movie about Furby.

?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

snergle posted:

i feel like the mad tv cast in the 90s era were all mostly great and deserve more sucess. alex found it with seth mcfarlane and key and peele have their own sucess. now its time for will sasso bobby lee debroah williams and nicole sullivan to get their times to shine.

Will Sasso has had some funny videos

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cacafuego posted:

Stop watching the F&F movies and go watch Baby Driver. A dumb name for a good movie, despite sex pest Kevin Spacey.

Or just watch Drive which is much better than all of these

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Henchman of Santa posted:

Apropos of nothing, watch The Lighthouse.

It’s this.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Mars Attacks is more our speed now.

Full of subtlety.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Len posted:

There is no twist in FDTD though?

If you haven’t seen it and don’t notice the ominous box cover?

People say Dark City is a good twist if you watch the right version or skip a sequence at the very beginning of the wrong one but never bothered to rewatch to see why.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Len posted:

So you mean "if you lived in a bubble and missed everything about this at all"? Because that's not really a twist.

That would be like saying Godzilla is a twist if you know nothing about it because HOLY poo poo A GIANT MONSTER

I’m one of the people who heard “Quentin Tarantino” in a movie and went to see it. Thought it was a crime movie like Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction until all of a sudden vampires.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Len posted:

Did you not see any of the marketing? That clearly advertised it and let you know what it was? And like I stated earlier in this thread goons have never been able to provide a source from Robert Rodriguez or Tarantino that the vampires were supposed to be a secret twist.

I think that was implied :colbert:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Warbird posted:

Tom Cruise was selected as the lead for Top Gun due to unique characteristics he shared with Navy pilots. Namely that he’s short as hell, eats crayons, and is illiterate. What is not generally know is that these qualities are unique to Marine pilots and no one noticed the mistake until production had already started. By then it was too costly to make the needed changes and the movie moved forward as originally planned.

Are marine pilots also really comfortable with innuendo? I’m watching the documentary (yes I know it isn’t) Generation Kill and those marines can take or leave it. Although it’s set two decades later.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
From Dusk til Dawn: There is a Gaping Pit of Hell Somewhere in Old Mexico. Selma Hayek still has a crazy accent and the UAC wants to know why.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
It’s not pick on Len day. I consider myself lucky I didn’t know what I was in for.

You’ve got Harvey “the wolf” Keitel as the dad and George “trying to reign in his psychotic foot fetishist brother” Clooney.

It’s practically Twilight.

There’s real passion all over the walls. And Salma stuck in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Crowetron posted:

My favorite subtle moment in From Dusk Til Dawn is the part where it loving rules.

Is there still a GBS thread for movies that rule?

Seems like a candidate.