Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Robert Denby posted:

There's a lot of repeated dialogue in "The Big Lebowski". The conversations between The Dude, Walter, and Donny are made up of repeating dialogue more often than not. Towards the beginning of the film, we see Bush Sr. on TV talking about Saddam and he says, "This aggression against Kuwait will not stand." Later on, The Dude rephrases this. Also, the nihilists appearing in red with giant scissors... Look what's hanging up on Julianne Moore's wall a few scenes prior:

It's even more subtle than that. Everyone in the movie repeats themselves constantly, except for the Dude, who repeats everyone else constantly.

Robert Denby posted:

"Hot Fuzz" does this too. When Simon Pegg first goes jogging in the town, everyone is in the same positions they are when the final shootout goes down.

eating only apples posted:

When Ed's playing Timesplitters, the advice Shaun gives him is identical to the advice Ed gives Shaun in the Winchester near the end.

"Top left! Reload. Nice shot!"

Those movies are incredibly well-referenced like that. Hot Fuzz in particular - there's not a shot in that movie that isn't packed with extra detail.

In Shaun, the second time he walks to the shop, everyone is in the exact same positions and doing similar things but zombified. The pizza shop near Shaun is called Bub's Pizza after Bub, the trained zombie from Day Of The Dead - Simon Pegg's favourite zombie. When they practise moaning like zombies in the movie, Pegg is doing a Bub impression, and a dead-on one at that.

In Romero's Land Of The Dead, Pegg and Edgar Wright cameo as zombies in a nightclub:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usvthsB0A64

That's not just any zombie mask Pegg's wearing, it's the original Bub prosthetic. One of the costume designers knew he was a fan of Bub and found it for him.

Hot Fuzz - god, so many. One of my favourite little in-jokes is the bit just before Tim Messenger gets killed - one of the fairground operators is calling out to advertise a game which is called "Splat The Rat".

Leovinus has a new favorite as of 00:29 on May 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Stormtroopman posted:

The Star Wars series is full of little things like this. When the two droids are hiding in the control room of the Death Star in Episode IV, a group of stormtroopers barges in and one near the back hits his head on the door, complete with sound effect.

The sound effect was only added for the later Special Editions. In the original it was just a goof.

Edit: To add more Edgar Wright love, his take on Scott Pilgrim was incredibly self-referential as well. He expanded on a lot of the stuff from the original comic and added a lot of numbers to the movie to signify the evil exes - for example, Lucas Lee's scene is full of hidden twos, right down to the fact that he points at Scott with two fingers instead of one. Brandon Routh's character wears a shirt with a big 3 on it, which is less subtle. Wright also added a number for Scott, which is why Scott drinks a lot of Coke Zero, has an X-Men patch (which is a crossed zero), and wears a shirt that says "ZERO" in the battle of the bands. Scott also wears a Rock Band T-shirt later in the movie, with the stylised logo that the game uses to signify the bass player.

Leovinus has a new favorite as of 01:47 on May 29, 2012

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rabbit Hill posted:

My favorite subtle moment in The Usual Suspects occurs towards the end of the film, during Agent Kujan's interrogation of Verbal Kint. In one shot, Chazz Palmintieri walks behind Kevin Spacey, who is seated in a chair with the camera trained on his face in profile. While Palmintieri is in front of him, Spacey's face is completely blank. When Palmintieri steps behind him, the tiniest, barest hint of a smile appears in Spacey's eyes. By the time Palmintieri is in front of him again, his face is blank again.

My favourite little thing about The Usual Suspects is the bit near the end. In Verbal's story, the boat scene happens and we repeatedly cut back to a shot of Verbal cowering behind an obstruction that semi-obscures what's behind it, it's all ropes and things and you can see through parts of it. We can see some movement behind it where Verbal is hiding. Except we can't. There's nothing behind that obstruction - you'd swear there is, but it's just your imagination.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Phy posted:

From the first page - is this just because he should have been called "Machete Coletti"?

Not about a movie, but this reminds me of something that always vaguely bothered me in the Beatles' song Lovely Rita:

quote:

In a cap, she looked much older,
And the bag across her shoulder
Made her look a little like a military man.

The obvious rhyme for that third line seems like it would be "soldier". Always wondered if that was intentional.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Romes128 posted:

Michael Fassbender is easily the best thing about Prometheus.

You ain't kidding. Dude channelled David Bowie and Peter O'Toole so effectively that I picked up on both influences before reading about how he styled himself on them in preparation for the role.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lemon-Shaped Rock posted:

Does Wallace and Gromit count as a movie?

In A Matter Of Loaf And Death, the final sequence is a brilliant homage to Aliens. It becomes pretty obvious when you reach a certain shot, but before that there are a bunch of subtle references, including a shot of Wallace scrambling through a trench with a grating over it.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

OnlyJuanMon posted:

From the first page, but what's even more brilliant in this scene is that he refers to Marvin as "the dead friend of the family" about 3 or 4 times, then when it has the flash forward to his wife coming home and catching them, she's black.

Oh my god. I've seen that bit ten times and I never loving noticed.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Little Blue Couch posted:

I always hated that because it came off as a simpering little "see it's okay that he said those words."

I think if that had been the intention, they would have brought it up earlier to defuse it during the scene, not as a brief shot you have to be paying attention for. I don't think Tarantino gave the remotest poo poo about saying it and certainly wouldn't have apologized for it. Especially as it's the basis for the funniest thing in the movie, which is a weedy white nerdy guy shouting "storing dead niggers ain't my loving business" at Samuel L. Bad Motherfucker Jackson and Jackson being all apologetic and not just blowing his head off. I love that little moment because it's so subtly ludicrous and played so straight. It's like a moment from a Coens movie.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CzarChasm posted:

This is the only one I know of that hasn't been mentioned yet:

In Unbreakable, Sam Jackson's character is named Mr. Glass. Every time we are introduced to him (as a newborn, as a child and as an adult) we see him in reflection first.

God. When Kubrick did it, it was clever. When Shyamalan does it comes across like Baby's First Symbolism.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I predicted the plot twist in The Prestige as soon as Bale first did the trick with the bird. If that was the big reveal, thank god the misdirect was so interesting.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Nucleotide Oracle posted:

In American Pie after Tara Reid's character leaves the party some random drunk guy yells out "YETI! I AM THE YETI!" right before the scene fades out to the next day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgXTRSSX3cc&t=13s

What's the subtle part of this?

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Alternative pants posted:

free climbed onto thereof

Indubitably thusly betwixt.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Dana replies with "Well, of course I'm telling the truth, who would make up a story like that?" and then mouths the word "rear end in a top hat."

On the topic of Sigourney Weaver mouthing swear words, I always liked that bit with the crushers in Galaxy Quest. That movie was originally supposed to be a bit more adult, but it was decided (quite rightly) that it should be a more family-accessible sort of film. So they changed the script up a bit.

You can see this in the scene where Tim Allen and Sigourney Weaver are making their way to the Omega-13 and come across the corridor with the crushing pistons. Weaver's reaction line is "Well, screw that!" But if you watch her lips, she's saying the original line, which is "Well, gently caress that!"

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Slip posted:

So I have a question. Was there any actual motivation for most of the things he did, specifically with him forcing the girl to strip, other than "Oh, the other guy did it so I should too?" And what, exactly, was the motivation for the original one then? Or is there some subtle detail I'm missing? Because that lack of motivation honestly broke the movie for me, and I couldn't get any enjoyment out of it because of that.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. When Hector 2 comes out of the machine, he's told to make sure that Hector 1 gets up to the machine exactly as before so as not to create a paradox. Luckily, he already knows what will make Hector 1 get up to the machine, so the best option is to make sure that those things happen. He forces the girl to strip, a) because that's what makes Hector 1 walk down towards the forest to investigate in the first place, and b) because he's terrified that if things don't go exactly the same as before, universe-ending poo poo might happen. See how frantic he is when he's holding her hostage, he's absolutely bricking it.

As for why those specific things happen? There's no way you could ever find out. Physically, that time loop is closed and forever. You would never be able to un-pick it and find out how it formed. The weird poo poo that happens is just the equilibrium of events that results in a stable, non-paradoxical time loop.

Timecrimes is one of my favourite movies :)

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Slip posted:

Hm. It's been two years since I've seen it, so I may have to go back and give it another go. I guess I understand why Hector 2 is repeating events out of fear, but I never understood why the original Hector would force a girl to strip in the first place.

Yeah, it's a mindfuck. That's what I love about the movie - trying to comprehend exactly why things are happening means you have to switch your point of reference and think about it in ways you're not wired to. Like, in this case, you're sort of thinking of Hector 2 and the original masked man Hector 1 sees as different entities, like Hector 2 is just copying the things the original guy was doing. But there is no "original guy", it's always Hector 2, the same person. It fucks with your sense of causality because cause and effect become the exact same thing, so the only solution it's possible to come to is "Hector 2 does things because Hector 2 does them". If it bugs you, it's because it's supposed to - it's an exploration of the more incomprehensible metaphysics of time travel. It's not meant to have a satisfying answer. You can't even really say that an "original loop" exists in any meaningful sense. It always has been and always will be exactly as it happens in the movie.

I always loved the similar parts in Timesplitters Future Perfect where you'd run into your future self, who'd give you a key to get to the next area. You'd use it, and later in the level you'd give the item to your past self so he could get to the next area. The question of "where did the key come from?" isn't meant to be answered, it's meant to pick at your brain.

Edit: Ah, here's what I was looking for. The situation we're talking about is the bootstrap paradox. Information exists in the timeloop without having ever been created.

Leovinus has a new favorite as of 04:14 on Aug 14, 2012

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Robert Denby posted:

It certainly is! There's a new Blu-Ray coming this fall that's not really worth getting, but if you can find it, get the 5-disc version that came out in 2007 that contains five versions of the film (1982 theatrical and European cuts, the 1992 director's cut, the 2007 'Final Cut', and the workprint) plus a great four-hour documentary.

Seriously, just get the Final Cut, though. Blade Runner is a slow-burn movie as it is. No matter how much you like it, you're not going to gain some massive new insight into it by watching five different versions of it, and the Final Cut is the best version. Or, at the very least, it's the only one where Ridley Scott had complete artistic control.

Leovinus has a new favorite as of 03:38 on Aug 24, 2012

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Watched A Beautiful Mind last night. What a great film. I was clued in to the fact that Charles and Marcee are hallucinations early on. When Nash is talking to Charles, Marcee runs off to play in the grass - and somehow doesn't disturb the pigeons. Nice little moment. I'm sure there are more hints, too.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zushio posted:

I've mentioned it to a number of my friends. They all think it seems plausible but no one had actually caught it before. I'm glad someone can back me up!

I'm not sure he was backing up your point about the Dude owning the alley. What points to that being the case? If it's true, what would that achieve in the context of the movie? Why would the Dude live in a shithole if he was rich enough to own his own bowling alley?

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The new James Bond films have some brilliant little touches. In Quantum of Solace, Bond calls MI6 to do a name check on Dominic Greene. As he spells out the name, the computer display on MI6's end recognises his voice and starts spelling it out to do a search. Bond pronounces it "G-R-double E-N-E." For a second, the computer mis-hears him on the "double E" and displays "WE" before correcting itself.

The computer stuff in those movies is incredibly dumb, but I liked that little unnecessary extra detail.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Not sure if this is a subtle moment or a crackpot theory, but I just watched Timecrimes and noticed something interesting. When Hector asks the scientist why he activated the time machine in the first place, he gives a fairly vague answer about wanting to see it in action before they formally try it out in three months. It's kind of glossed over and evasive. It always bugged me that they couldn't come up with a better reason for that. I only noticed it this time round.

It's Saturday evening. Motherfucker was trying to get the lottery numbers.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jay 2K Winger posted:

"You made me swallow my gum. THAT'S GONNA BE IN MY DIGESTIVE SYSTEM FOR SEVEN YEARS!"

Does Gideon break a mirror at any point? Because if he doesn't that's a missed opportunity.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fatty_McLumpkin posted:

to add to the Shaun of the Dead references..

did anyone catch this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCvYdrYGr8o&t=7s
This.. seems to be homage to

http://youtu.be/UYR3dorshwA

Yeah, that's one of the more obvious references, anyone who ever saw Night will have gotten that. I forget the other specific references to the first Romero movie - Shaun works for Foree Electronics, which is a Dawn reference, and Bub's Pizza is in homage to Day Of The Dead.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just saw Django Unchained. When Calvin Candie first appears, he offers Schultz and Django a drink and then gets one of his own, which arrives in a flashy-looking decorated coconut. I'm not sure it was a deliberate reference, but it seemed like an amazing counterpoint to the opening scene from Inglourious Basterds. In that scene, Christoph Waltz's character, Colonel Landa, is calmly interrogating a nervous man and tells the man he may smoke his pipe if it makes him more comfortable. When the man has lit his pipe, Landa masterfully asserts complete dominance over the scene by bringing out his own pipe, which is large and expensive-looking. It's one of my favourite scenes in that movie. It occurred to me while watching Django that Candie is doing the exact same thing except it falls absolutely flat - he's got none of the style or poise that Landa had and his big upstagey drink just makes him look like a tacky idiot.

I don't know if it was a deliberate callback to that scene, but I definitely got something extra out of having seen both.

A slightly less subtle one: One of the members of the first gang that Django helps Schultz hunt is named "Crazy Craig Koons." The unusual "Koons" is the surname of Christopher Walken's watch-smuggling soldier in Pulp Fiction.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

peer posted:

(Usual Suspects) There's also one quick moment where the agent acts like he's going to punch Verbal, and Verbal instinctively raises his lame arm to deflect the blow.

This is from a way back, but yeah. Also, Soze is left-handed. When Verbal is given a lighter, he tries to light it with his right, non-lame arm and can't manage it with that hand.

There's also a moment (I think it might be the same moment) where Verbal accidentally admits to killing Keaton while Kujan is yelling at him, and he panics for a microsecond but manages to disguise it as a slip of the tongue, amending it to "I did see Keaton get shot!".

There's a bunch of subtle stuff in that movie, actually. Verbal notes near the beginning of the movie that when he's dehydrated his urine comes out thick and lumpy - the first shot of Keyser Soze is his thick, lumpy urine stream pissing out a fire on the boat.

Keyser Soze has a Turkish mother and a German father and his name translates roughly from Turkish and German to mean "King Blabbermouth". Verbal Kint got his name because he talks too much.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Allegedly, the movie also holds the distinction of being the first film ever to feature a fart gag. Now how's that for innovation!

Pretty sure this isn't true!

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ez posted:

It's just one of those things where it's credited as being the first to do something because it was popular and memorable enough for doing it to be significant. Like how Pong is said to be the first video game (it isn't) and how the Adam West Batman film is said to be the first Batman movie (it's not).

Well, it sorta is. The older ones were serials, they don't really fit the common definition for a movie.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Android Bicyclist posted:

I'm watching the director's cut of Alien and noticed something interesting:
When Kane starts examining the egg sac in the derelict ship, you can see the moisture dripping up from the sac. This meant they filmed that moment of the movie with the camera upside-down and the egg hanging from above. It's another thing that helps sell that there's something unusual about the area.

I love the IMDB note for that.

quote:

A close-up of the Alien egg when Kane is looking at it shows water droplets falling upwards off the egg, revealing that the shot was done with the camera upside down. (according to Trivia, this is an intended effect by Ridley Scott)

It's on the goofs page under "incorrectly regarded as goofs". I just love the idea that there are people out there who think that the egg was hung from a ceiling accidentally.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MichiganCubbie posted:

One of my favorite little moments comes from Inglorious Basterds. In the scene where Landa and Shoshanna are in the restaurant, Landa orders strudel for them both. This is rather innocent. However, before she can take a bite, Landa suddenly remembers that he forgot to order the whipped cream for the topping. He orders it and won't let Shoshanna eat until it comes. We get a heavy-handed shot of the cream being put onto the strudel, and then Landa eats. After watching her eat, he asks her about it, and you see her kinda grimace and swallow.

The reason for this, and him relaxing after her eating is because whipped cream wasn't readily made Kosher until the late 1950s. Before this, a large amount of cream was made with gelatin, which is decidedly non-Kosher. Now, it was possible to make it Kosher, without gelatin and with a blessed animal, but Shoshanna has no way of knowing if it is.

Now, non-dairy creams can more easily be Kosher, but that wasn't invented until 1945, so this has to be natural whipped cream. In addition, the likelihood of it being Kosher in German-occupied France is slim-to-none. Shoshanna being willing to eat this indicates that she's not a practicing jew. That said, I believe that Landa knew who she was and was just having fun with her, toying with the prey, so to speak.

They don't bring this scene up, or really talk about it at all. It's simply a nice little note and shows that Landa does his homework.

Oh, man. That's one of my favourite scenes in the movie and I never caught that. He totally knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MichiganCubbie posted:

Absolutely. In the Italian scene, look at the way he coaxes out the proper pronunciation and praises them when they get it right. The funny part about that scene is that Omar speaks the least amount of Italian, that is none, yet he only repeats once and gets a "Bravo" out of Landa. The interactions between Landa and the rest of the cast is amazing. He enjoys watching peoples' reactions.

I'm not sure how much was intentional and how much this is just me twisting the movie to fit my own interpretation, but the sense I get is that Landa knows everything. No matter which scene he's in, he is acutely aware of every secret that's being held from him, and he's just letting things play out for his own entertainment. He doesn't really care about furthering the Nazi cause because he's not ideologically a Nazi, in the same sense that Heinrich Muller wasn't ideologically a Nazi - he's employed by the regime, but it's just a job that he's very good at and enjoys doing. He meets his downfall going up against the Basterds because even though they're part of the big plan, they're completely unpredictable and don't follow the social rules that he manipulates to such great effect against everyone else. Landa is victorious all the way up until Raine decides to carve the swastika in his forehead, because up until that point the Basterds were still following somebody else's plan, and Landa was able to predict and foil the whole thing and turn it to his advantage.