Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

The MSJ posted:

Dredd ignored the hobo because the law tells him to. There's a more serious crime nearby and that takes priority, as stated by Anderson.

On his way back out he was going to arrest the hobo for not moving, but then the door gets in the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Maybe he just knows that his core audience doesn't really give a poo poo about subtle symbolic cinematography and really just want watch a few hours of mindless action. :shrug:

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Rolo posted:

Plus doesn't he throw up bees on a bunch of gang members? Did I dream that?

Don't forget that monkey he summoned to crawl out of (and then back in to) the gang leaders rear end.

edit: beaten :argh:

Dragonstoned has a new favorite as of 02:55 on Nov 9, 2014

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

bewilderment posted:

From what I remember of vague Star Wars lore, almost every piece of the Star Wars EU feels obligated to use the name 'Starkiller' somehow. Before the Force Awakens it was the codename for the main character in the Force Unleashed games.

It's the Star Wars equivalent of naming your forums account Xx_SePhiRoTh_xX

Well yeah but it also LITERALLY killed stars to power its weapon.

Also its got that whole dark vs light angle aswell. It sucks the light from a star system plunging it in to darkness and chaos.

Then at the end of the film just when things seem darkest, light prevails from within.

Possibly foreshadowing what might happen to Kylo Ren maybe? :shrug:

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

rydiafan posted:

Nobody ever mentions Furiosa's arm in Fury Road.

What about it? its not exactly subtle that she has a mechanical arm. When she first fights Max she doesn't have it on because it's hanging of the truck's mirror and later there's a bit when she's holding on to Max and gets shanked through the strapping causing her to drop him

Arcsquad12 posted:

I like when the people eater plays with his nipple piercings.

This though lol also the Bullit Farmer uses bullets for false teeth

Another one that I've been meaning to post for a while from Star Wars Force Awakens. When the gang land at Maz's place and Finn is talking to Han about making sure its safe to be there what with him being a "rebel" and all, Han says he has a bigger problem about women always finding out the truth as he hands him a classic Stormtrooper blaster.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Lots of commentaries here, along with links to the movies on Netflix so you want watch while listening.

http://listentoamovie.com/media/index.php?folder=MS4gTW92aWVzLyhDb21tZW50YXJpZXMp

Sadly its not on that list but the commentary track for "This is Spinal Tap" is done in character and is amazing, I love how much they loving hate Marty DiBergi.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

You could say the Lance Armstrong thing still works because originally Vince Vaughn's team was supposed to lose at the end. The movie studio execs made them change it to a happy ending, so their "win" could technically be considered a cheat.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

I'm pretty sure it was the director that wanted the unhappy ending because it was supposed to be a "true underdog" story and he said if they were "true underdogs" they would lose.

Also why he added this scene to the end credits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeCy36VuoS4

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Strudel Man posted:

Well, not just that, but yeah, the Pompeii graffiti is great. First one on the list:

This forum needs a wordfilter to auto change "I'm gay" to "Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men’s behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!"

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

BioEnchanted posted:

The main problem I had with the show was that at times Reese could go too far, or just not be funny in how much of an rear end in a top hat he was.

That's the definition of an older brother though, at least in my personal experience.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I posted a video a while back in the Schadenfreude thread about flightsuit guys loving up and crashing and one guy managed to deglove his thighs.

Where is the Schadenfreude in seeing someone getting mutilated?

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

The abomination from Hulk is still "in shield custody" but I'm pretty sure Tim Roth wasn't very keen on coming back so doubtful he'll be heard from again.

There's also the scientist who tries to help Banner that they teased at becoming a Hulk villain, unlikely but it would be neat to see him randomly pop up again with a mega-brain.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Last Crusade is my personal favorite as well but Raiders is still amazing.

I think I made it through about 5-10 mins of Crystal Skull before turning it off in disgust.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Just a little thing I liked in Small Soldiers...

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is that a piranha on the desk?

Yes

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

The unreleased Roger Corman FF film (which was thrown together on a $1 million budget just so they could retain the rights, the cast had no idea the movie wasn't going to be released and even did a PR tour to talk it up) was campy as all hell and is therefore the 2nd best FF movie after The Incredibles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcpmM-eTESI

I was wondering if this was the one referenced in the newer Arrested Development (it's not) but while I was looking it up I found this lol

quote:

director Josh Trank appears as a process server who delivers Tobias a cease-and-desist order in "A New Start." Trank directed the 2015 Fantastic Four reboot which was a critical and commercial failure, similar to Tobias's version.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Pook Good Mook posted:

I like the theory that on some level the machines are unwilling to make the human species extinct and are basically keeping us alive because if the fight had continued the machines would be forced to destroy the humans out of self-preservation.

Yeah this was my thought after watching "the second renaissance" (basically the history of how the matrix came to be) Humans are very much the bad guys but the machines didn't really want to exterminate their creators, so they stuck them in the Matrix to study them and it basically just became a human zoo.

I'd just like to know wtf the machines are actually doing in their city, wonder if they've started colonising the solar system.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Memento posted:

It took me a news article about their appearance in Futurama for me to realise they were real. The first time they appeared was the episode Time Keeps on Slippin' in 2001, at which point in time I was well into my 20s.

I love the Globetrotters in Futurama but I did at times wonder if Ethan "bubblegum" Tate was a robot-racist (robocist?) because he just seemed to really hate Bender for no reason.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

I guess y'all missed that Gilligan's Island TV movie where the Harlem Globetrotters had to play basketball against a team of evil robots

I am aware that Gilligan's Island exists as a thing but all my knowledge of it comes from it being referenced in other things.

Don't think I've ever even seen a clip of the actual show though

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

I think I read somewhere it's scientifically impossible not to sing along with Bohemian Rhapsody, even if you're not really paying attention and its on the background you will sing SOME part of that song, even it's just the "GALILEO" bit or sounding out the guitar bits.

I know this is true for me at least and every time I've heard the song with people, everyone always joins in at some point.

I'd think the only people guaranteed not to sing along are the people who've never heard it in the first place.

Dragonstoned has a new favorite as of 04:44 on Dec 4, 2018

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

The song is also depressing as gently caress for a kids movie, even if it was on the DVD we'd skip it because it's too sad for my mom and sister.

It does mean you miss out of the "when love was lost" and "when love is found" link but its not worth it when it literally makes children cry in the middle of the jolly fun muppet movie.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The speed, relatively quiet sound, and sudden nature of when Butch shoots Vince was always very unnerving to me.

I always put it down to the fact that they had a little "standoff" moment earlier in the film, which made it all the easier for him to pull the trigger when he had the chance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYDF666wtrc

Also 100% sure Vince was taking a poo poo because he IS reading that book while sitting on the toilet in another part of the film

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

jazzyjay posted:

Look I think everyone just needs to watch Pulp Fiction again cause it's excellent.

Here's a fun one for you. John Travolta plays sloppy smacky hit man Vincent Vega. Psycho ear choppy Mr Blonde's real name is Victor Vega; they're brothers. This plus other clues show that Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs are in the same universe. So is Mr Orange (Tim Roth) also Pumpkin (Tim Roth)? Is Mr White the Wolf's day job? Explain and support your arguments.

All of Tarantino's films are set in the same universe but the actors played different characters in each film.

There was plans (or maybe just an idea) for a "Vega Brothers" film at one point, but it never panned out.

jazzyjay posted:

Seeing Pulp Fiction when it first came out was one of my top cinema experiences. People were in HYSTERICS. I was studying film at the time and the film, the script, Tarantino's wunderkid auteur schtick, it was just so exciting.

And then came the copycats...

I found the movie hilarious on my first watch because I finally got all the jokes the Simpsons were referencing in "22 short films about springfield"

Dragonstoned has a new favorite as of 01:32 on Jan 1, 2019

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Killing 70+ people in extremely violent ways is not sadistic
:goonsay:

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

deoju posted:

Finished the new season of the Mandalorian. In episode 5 Ahsoka fights the whole episode dual wielding overhand. Her fight with the Magistrate is toe to toe at first. But then the Magistrate flings one of her lightsabers away. The Magistrate is confident she has her on the ropes. Ahsoka then switches to an underhanded grip. The Magistrate has an 'oh poo poo' face for a moment before she gets killed. She was not at all prepared for that, and Ahsoka knew and kept that trick up her sleeve. The baddy getting defeated when it's revealed the hero has mastered the forbidden/forgotten/secret technique is very much a trope of martial arts movies. Like the Bride killing Bill with the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique or the Crane Kick in Karate Kid. I'm sure there are better examples but those come to mind.

She didn't kill the Magistrate (she could have done that as easily if she wanted to) the whole point was defeating her while keeping her alive in order to get information about the whereabouts of her boss

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Fun fact about the red pill, its literally just a tracking device

Neo makes his choice to "stay in wonderland" down on the street, when he's about to bail but decides to stay because of Trinity

Its not really subtle moment (Morpheus flat out says it) but I just thought it was funny when idiot conspiracy folks were telling me to "take the red pill instead of the COVID vaccine" because the vaccine has a tracker in it....

Dragonstoned has a new favorite as of 08:17 on Sep 24, 2022

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

I just noticed this in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, when Raul Duke first gets to the hotel and is tripping out in the lobby. There is a cowboy on the phone talking about a young woman who's been brutally murdered and that they took her blood and removed her penal glad.

Later in the film Duke's attorney gives him "adrenochrome" which he says he got of a satanist freak who didn't have any money to pay him - he also mentions he only took the creeps case because he was worried he might have "picked up a letter opener and gone after my pineal gland" if he refused

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

flavor.flv posted:

I wonder how long it will be until Disney starts using ai to put Stan Lee cameos in the mcu again

You know there's somebody in the board room who's been pushing for it the whole time

I was really hoping they'd keep the cameos going by having a poster of Lee or having him appear on a TV in the background, just a subtle nod hidden somewhere in the film - like the protag has an "hot toy" of him on the shelf something

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Flint_Paper posted:

What I really want is a short film anthology with a focus on the horror. An Animatrix, but Terminator. A T800 being sent too far back and being treated by medieval peasants as a demon talked about in hushed tones. Skynet miscalculating and dropping one in the ocean in the 1700s, and accidentally inventing a sea monster, all metal skeleton caked with barnacles and coral, dragging itself up anchor chains to board unsuspecting boats. Hell, flip it, and have a T800 with a head injury sufficient to render it arguably human, trying to blend in and live a life amongst the survivors in the future war, desperately afraid of being found out.

Sarah Conner Chronicles did something along those lines, where one gets sent back to the 1920's and sets up a businesses that will later become important (think it killed someone by accident in the time travel mishap and that person needed to ~do something important~ so the robot made a fake identity and did the ~important thing~ itself) and when its all set up, it just hides in a wall until it's time for its original mission to take place 80 years later.

E: Looking into it a little further, the robots original plan was to "assassinate the governor of California in 2010" - which would have been Arnold Schwarzenegger

BiggerBoat posted:

Another cameo I didn't catch until the credits is Dave Grohl in the Tenacious D movie

He also did all the drums on their first album :D

Dragonstoned has a new favorite as of 06:52 on Mar 12, 2023

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Its all leading to John being his own grandpa, as that's the only way to get past the Infosphere's Skynet's defences in order to save humanity

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

I re-watched T2 because of this thread but the copy I grabbed had the awful alternate ending with grandma Sarah and John the senator - total buzzkill lol

but I guess at the same time it kinda works for me because I have no intention of watching any of the sequels and I can pretend everything is tied up in a neat little package and leave it there

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Kramdar posted:

What version just slaps on the alternate ending? I remember watching the deleted scenes on DVD, but had no idea they released an alternate cut too as a main version on any disc. Weird.

:filez: gonna :filez:

(I do own it on DVD and BR but I don't have an optical drive in my computer anymore)

Tenkaris posted:

... I didn't even know there was an alternate ending, drat.

Fade out from the teary goodbye to Arnie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEaS8X1_gcU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Baron von Eevl posted:

I like that by the midpoint of t2 even the other characters are sick of Sarah's monologuing.

When she starts going off at Dyson about how men can only make things that destroy and will never know what its like to grow life inside them and everyone in the room (as well as everyone in the audience) rolls their eyes before John tells her to just STFU already!