Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

prefect posted:

is it really so bad if people don't want to spend an insane amount of money? :confused:

$2000 for 200 would involve a free venue and a lot of free labor from family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sweevo posted:

elite, frontier, and first encounters all had that problem. you could trade back and forth between a few safe systems for a while and make mad cash, or you could hang around in pirate-infested systems picking up pocket change for bounties. or mining (lol mining in frontier was so bad)

so its eve without the exciting parts?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

so its eve without the exciting parts?

before anyone else: so just eve then lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Today morning our two births died as well

:crossarms:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Elder Postsman posted:

oh yeah let me run this cable all across my living room like a god damned fool.

signed,
an idiot what thinks the sofa surfer is a good idea

it would not surprise me if there were enough of these idiots for this to be a viable product

need those extra milliseconds to make sweet 360noscopes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vicas posted:

$2.2m now, holy poo poo

you can watch it tic up about $1k-$2k/update in real time

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

look man, i need my packets to get there faster ok?

there is actually a way to pay money for this to happen but it involves VPNs to bypass terrible edge connections between your terrible american ISP and your MMOG's network

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if this is something you do so you have an edge in video games, go kill yourself

an edge? this is something some people have to do to play the game at all. for ffxiv i lose 1/4 packets without a vpn between twc and level3

heres a wow one - 5s pings

if you don't have an isp problem those services actually increase your ping time

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

have we gone over this obvious scam: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sondors-electric-bike

talking about 'develop", every picture is OTS, landed BOM for those parts is still $750 instead of their $500

currently getting sued

very likely they'll walk with $3.5M, point at the pre-existing lawsuit to blame why they can't ship

manufacturing posting genius is way too many characters isn't it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

came to post this

pebble gonna be sued out of existence

pebble almost certainly is trying to get purchased before then, hence the new kickstarter just before the apple watch comes out

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i look forward to them open sourcing the plans as they say they will to see how they hosed up the bom

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrMoo posted:

I guess they did manage to complete a product which is more than many projects.

its actually kind of a peculiar way to fail, most kickstarter projects that make it to that point just say "welp, better ship nonworking garbage instead"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

do they come in usb3?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > YOSPOS > post the most worthless kickstarters and greatest burns you got

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

for bespoke artisanal products yeah, but there are a lot of electronics and printed material kickstarters that can scale

the people making a kickstarter likely know how to make 50 of something but not 5000

if they knew how to make 5000 of something they wouldn't be on kickstarter

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

this is all my company does

i've met a dozen kickstarter ceo's.

that must be an interesting niche

is your title "dream crushing ninja"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

anthonypants posted:

one of the star citizen devs said the client is going to be 100GB. lmao

uncompressed textures?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hopefully you can crush their dreams personally

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

its extremely unlikely because it will never exist

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

googling suggests that that this is actually not massively overpriced

e: lol the video

in fact i'm actually kinda confused how they can sell that kg thing for $199 when the spot price is about $35/kg right now

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

"They believe they should be given rewards and promotions for the act of showing up to work on time."

yes your pay should increase regularly if you're not a fuckup, corporate america apparently does not agree which definitely leads to apathy

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the max rebate was $4500, and there were limits on what you could buy with it

who the gently caress has a 20 year old bmw worth <$4500 and also buys a new audi for <$45k

not to buy an audi but they could buy a convertible v6 mustang for their children

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

thinking of a Canadian winter, there is just no way you get enough energy from the seven hours of sunlight we might get if there's no cloud to melt the ten inches of snow that fell over night when it's like -20 out

also you might notice that we don't remove snow by melting it. I wonder if there's a reason for that.

oh yeah it's because once it's run off it freezes again and now you're stuck with a solid block of ice

they probably do use melters somewhere in canada, likely just airports and downtown toronto but thats technically correct!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nagato posted:

"how much did they get for this worthless idea?"

"2 million dollars and another million dollars from the government"

":psyboom:"

the government paid for a pilot project that was supposed to be for parking lots

ignore roads, a tough relatively inexpensive solar panel could have other uses

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

anthonypants posted:

the government grant was awarded in 2009, but they didn't finish their parking lot until a year ago, and their indiegogo ended three months after that. as far as i can tell the only thing they've done with the indiegogo money was to renovate and move into a new building, and make lovely merch. a month ago their indiegogo was even reopened so they can continue to sell lovely merch

they had two phases of SBIR, phase 1 covers 6 months, phase 2 covers 2 years. if they got a phase 1 in 2009 they might not have started until the middle of 2010, then after they finish they'd have to apply again and likely not get THAT money until 2012 which neatly brings us into 2014.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

anthonypants posted:

their phase 2 was awarded in 2009

welp

that means they didn't do anything for a few years or what?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sweevo posted:

it's not retarded. it's disruptive

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > YOSPOS > kickstarter: its not retarded. it's disruptive

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

SOLAR FREAKIN PATIOS

there might be a business here for people with more money than sense

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bathrooms*

*Not compatible with GFCI outlets

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

good news though! Virginia man finds one neat trick to bypass NEC 2014!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

As a Millennial I posted:

it's not the screws anybody is worried about

i've got enough usb adapters to last a lifetime at this point anyway

wait why don't they just have eyelets for the screws

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

As a Millennial I posted:

what i've seen so far (in internet comments lol) says the supreme court said its cool to shoot someone for running if you think they're a danger to others. i forget what the exact context was that time

skipping out on child support shouldn't qualify, but we'll see

thats the fleeing felon rule

it requires the person be convicted of a violent felony or have just committed a violent felony. in other words, you can shoot someone escaping from prison or someone that just shot at you

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

also the app is broken and the sensors dont work and half the people aren't getting theirs, going by comments

wow a real kickstarter success story

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vicas posted:

what's that thing about computer science people and dunning-kruger

so he made a website for an Exxon station?

(yes I know the consumer Exxon brand is no longer connected to Exxon-Mobil)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

this page is full of such bullshit marketing, is it literally a cup that I can use with some sort of digital wallet?

oh, i forgot my wallet and my phone, but I did think to grab my CAFEPAY

so something that if you really wanted you could print off the bar code for your starbucks card and tape to the bottom of your cup?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

carbon fiber rods huh, $349?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

wozfans.com!
no, not for people who adore steve wozniak, the lovable goof of apple's yesteryear has put four fans on an outdoor umbrella clamp!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/734206286/wozfans-the-ultimate-summer-fan?ref=popular

"I bet if you created a kick starter no matter what it is it'll get funded"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gus Hobbleton posted:

the last 200 are in eval int and magery

0 str, dex and con

sounds about right

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

they built one with an arduino

ti has a GUI to set up your HID descriptors now if you can wait a day

same for the cypress ez usb fx2/3

the easiest way around this thing is to just mitm the device since it apparently needs to send stuff to a third party server

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

nah, I don't think you want to interrupt the stream, it'd be easier to have a USB device and write required movements out to it

anything without additional hardware involved is going to be easier for script kiddies

• Locked thread