Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Hm. Booted up the game for the first time, hosed around with my graphics settings a bit and tried to run the benchmark. Crash to desktop as soon as I pressed the button. Not really the greatest start to my Sleeping Dogs experience. :ohdear:

Downloading the texture pack now, maybe having it will fix things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Parkingtigers posted:

Two things I discovered in Club Bam Bam:

1/ Those giant fish tanks can be broken by doing a running flying kick at them during the mission.
Wei Shen does not waste his time and energy breaking things himself when he can break them using someone else's head. :black101:

And holy poo poo, some of the moves you unlock from the jade statues are drat good. The follow-up attack on stunned enemies is my favorite, it appears to pretty much be an instant kill on most guys and the fight clubs became completely trivial once I unlocked it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

This game is awesome and all, but I wish it would stop crashing randomly while I'm driving somewhere. It's not that big a deal, but it's annoying and always seems to happen right after I've bought something and haven't saved. :arghfist::saddowns:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Parkingtigers posted:

I just decided to go do some karaoke, and I just noticed that during the day the club is almost empty with cleaners milling around
I noticed this as well. Went to the K-Bar to get my Take On Me on, but it was during the day so no one was there to witness my amazing karaoke skills. It was a bit depressing, frankly, so afterwards I wandered off to brutalize some thugs to cheer myself up.

e: Speaking of karaoke, as I was playing through the songs I kept wishing for microphone support and voice recognition. As it is, the karaoke is pretty bland, but it would own if there was an optional "poor man's Singstar" mode. Horribly butchering Girls Just Wanna Have Fun would be so much more awesome. :allears:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 5, 2012

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

gently caress these crashes. The game ran just fine for the first 10-12 hours and I don't think I had a single crash in that time, but towards the end it's just gotten less and less stable and during the last couple of story missions I was praying that there wouldn't be any driving (the random freezing would only happen when I'm in a vehicle). I wasn't too amused when the game froze during the last part of a long mission and I had to start it all over again. :shepicide:

Maybe this game just doesn't like my laptop, despite running beautifully on medium to high graphics. I should also have updated my GT525M's drivers a while ago instead of now. :downs:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I still have a couple of favors and events to do and some collectibles to get, but I don't really feel up to it now that I'm done with the story. It just doesn't feel the same at this point. Instead, I feel like I want to start a new game and experience the whole thing again. :allears:

This game is so good I'm actually considering buying a new gaming computer right now instead of after Christmas like I've planned to. I have to play this with all the graphics maxed out and hopefully less crashing.

Not that there's anything wrong with the way it looks on my laptop:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Chunky Delight posted:

So I just discovered that you can knock over guys in motorcycles if you open the door for an action hijack when they are right beside you.
The first and so far only time I tried this, I accidentally pressed the exit car button instead of the action hijack one and proceeded to fly backwards for like 100 meters, flipping all over the place and eventually falling off the highway entirely. :unsmigghh:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Isn't the top of the Mr. Black outfit just the black hipster jacket you can buy at one of the stores? It has the same disheveled look, as do all the hipster jackets. I wore the red one for a good part of the game because I thought the Lady Killer set would actually do something.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Who needs the Lady Killer set when you can just have a pork bun in your hand? :colbert:
If this game has taught me anything, it is the fact that I am not a whole man unless I've eaten a pork bun. I wonder if the only Chinese restaurant in my town serves them.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

gaxsezu posted:

The "Lady Killer" set is also worthless so feel free to not worry about it at all.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure all the Lady Killer set does is make Wei look like a complete idiot and/or huge douchebag when wearing it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Stumbling Block posted:

And I swear one of them sold me a dead bird. I know they say it doesn't make a noise making it a perfect pet but seriously...
There's a Monty Python joke here somewhere, but it's so played out that I'll just say the bird does move in its cage somewhat frequently (at least the one I got does) and thus it probably isn't dead.

e: In fact I also thought they had sold me a dead bird at first, I only noticed the movement when I actually checked to see if the thing was alive.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 3, 2012

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Drug busts are cool and I wish they would respawn after a while, so that you could redo them whenever you want to clobber a bunch of guys. I guess you can always do the fight clubs, but those don't have any of the environmental attacks. :saddowns:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

DivisionPost posted:

Ahahahaha, I haven't started the Zodiac Tournament yet but I ran into a tiny-yet-awesome bug I just had to share.
I honestly thought that was a feature. The music always keeps playing when I do the Cheaters Never Prosper missions, I just did the first one in my current playthrough, and had "Girls on Film" playing as I smashed guys' heads in with a car door.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Why doesn't this game have any decent-looking clothes that give a Triad EXP boost? I want to max out my Triad level on this playthrough so Wei has been wearing the Mountain Master set, but I'd rather have him wear a nice suit or something else that actually looks stylish. :saddowns:

Maybe I'll just forget about maxing out the Triad level and wear whatever. Gotta look cool while beating guys to death with a fish, you know.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

loving hell, the Zodiac Tournament DLC was short. I don't think it took me longer than half an hour or so to complete (didn't grab all the statues yet, though), but at least the fighting was as fun as usual and the presentation was amazing. I laughed out loud at the opening credits and the fact they made new, cheesy '70s movie sound effects for the punches. :allears: But yeah, this should definitely have been fleshed out a lot more.

Now that that's done, it's time to go hunt some Jiang Shi (and shove them into the trunk of a car) in Nightmare in North Point. :black101:

edit: oh my god this is glorious

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 22, 2013

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Honestly, I think this game has plenty of replayability. I've finished two playthroughs of the main game on PC now and just started another one on the PS3 (thanks, PlayStation Plus), and I never seem to get tired of kicking faces in. Maybe that's just me. :downs:

I would definitely like some more substantial DLC, though. Year of the Snake sounds nice at least, hopefully it has a decent amount of content.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Bah. I've been putting together some videos for a potential LP of Sleeping Dogs (it's seriously one of my favorite games of all time, and I'd really love to show it off) but my voice combined with my Finnish accent literally makes me sound like I'm mentally challenged. :saddowns:

Guess I'll just give up and leave that to someone else who isn't terrible, and go finish Nightmare in North Point or continue my PS3 version playthrough instead.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

You're supposed to move the thumbstick horizontally for the Jiang Shi QTEs.

Speaking of Jiang Shi, I just killed two of them with a fish. GOTY all years :getin:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

That sounds odd. I honestly didn't even get grabbed by the Jiang Shi more than a couple of times (you should be able to just counter their lunges and whack them in the head before they grapple you), and even then it was no problem at all to shake them off.

e: I've killed a lot of guys using various objects in this game, but I just outdid myself by killing myself with a baton. :stare: I threw it at a thug, and when it hit him it bounced into the fence next to him and somehow ricocheted right back into Wei's face at warp speed. Had full health and everything.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 26, 2013

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

My DLC seems to be fine (got Year of the Snake before I read any comments or anything, I'm a smart buyer :downs:), at least I'm not getting any error messages about missing content or anything like that. None of my wardrobe stuff seemed to be missing either, at least nothing that matters. Hopefully I managed to avoid the problem. :ohdear:

I checked the Steam forums, and from what I could tell the broken DLC was apparently caused by the latest patch instead of Year of the Snake. There are some folks reporting missing content and corrupted saves even without the YotS DLC installed.

In any case, the DLC itself is pretty cool so far. I didn't finish it yet, but it feels longer than Nightmare in North Point and there's a bunch of side stuff to do. You also get to arrest people and/or whack them with a telescopic baton. :cop:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

"EVENT FAILED: The bomb exploded"

gently caress you game, I left that car at an empty parking lot and absolutely no one got hurt when it blew up. :argh:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

XeeD posted:

Like hell. You switch to Boosey & Hawkes and hope it gives you that saber dance song so you can pinball your car around the streets of Hong Kong, causing as much collateral damage as possible while you drive like a maniac in the rain.
Sabre Dance is the perfect soundtrack for the minibus mission. And for everything else, really, but especially that mission.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

canyoneer posted:

I like this game a lot, but it would be pretty swell if I could pass one consecutive hour of playtime without a crash to desktop :(
I had that problem when I was playing the game on my laptop last year, it played okay for several hours and then just started CTDing constantly for whatever reason. By the end I was dreading getting into vehicles during the longer missions, because all the crashes would happen when I was driving.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

Sleeping Dogs is getting a XBone and PS4 port in October.
I have the PC version and a rig capable of running it at stupid high resolutions so I probably won't be picking this up (unless there's new and/or restored content... please have new and/or restored content :ohdearsass:), but it's nice to see the best game of 2012 get more attention.

Party Plane Jones posted:

New Vegas' sound track was horrendously repetitive.
big iron on his hiiiiiip

Shooting Blanks posted:

The best song in the game is actually one of the tavern songs
drat straight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nedFSIBaEfA

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

:saddowns:

Seriously though, all the tavern songs in Black Flag are great.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The main story now has cop sidequests (not just the regular cop missions, more like random crimes). I just took down some drug runners by ramming the poo poo out of their car and tasering the dudes when they got out. :getin:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

I think those missions aren't new, they are from a DLC costume pack if I'm not wrong.
Okay yeah, I see those were already in the SWAT pack that was released ages ago. :saddowns:

Still new to me, though, because I don't have that pack. I guess it got buried underneath all the purely cosmetic or cheaty DLC and I never noticed it existed.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Lechtansi posted:

Important question - does the game run better or worse after the upgrades? Iv got an old machine and was already burned once by a "definitive edition" turning the game from playable to unplayable.
Due to the graphical upgrades and increased world density, it runs a bit worse overall. That said, the annoying screen shake effect you got in the original when driving at high speeds appears to be gone now, which to me is the single best change in the Definitive Edition.

The worst change is that they've ruined some of the clothes like this not at all garish and horrible Couronne FUBAR hoodie:

(original)

(Definitive Edition)

The t-shirt with the dinosaur skull is also missing the dinosaur skull now, so I'm not sure what is going on there. I looked on the Steam forums to see if there was anything about this, but I just found a bunch of whining about performance or the price, people using "console peasant" unironically, and what just might the dumbest thread in the history of the internet (I'd say it's an obvious fakepost, but... well, Steam forums): http://steamcommunity.com/app/307690/discussions/0/619568192703064216/

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 10, 2014

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

So, Death by a Thousand Cuts. That's the DLC sidemission where you have the unbreakable golden cleaver and are supposed to cut your way through as many knife guys as you can without dying. Not too bad, right? Good way to grind some Triad EXP too. The objective has also changed in the Definitive Edition, there's now 30 guys in total you need to kill to complete the mission. Really not too bad, right?

Well, yeah, except now the knife guys are using poisoned blades and the counter window is really weird, so it's almost impossible to counter them reliably and you just get hosed up almost immediately. On my best run so far I've managed to kill 11 guys, usually I die before I reach ten. Guess I'll come back when I have all the upgrades, maybe then I'll have a slight chance of surviving this. :saddowns:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I can counter the first slash easily, but the second one hits me even though I swear I'm pressing the button at the right time.

Whatever, I'm ditching the cleaver next time. I was actually wondering if that would help.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Well, it took me three years and as many playthroughs, but I finally reached Triad level 10. Probably only managed it because Definitive Edition includes Death by a Thousand Cuts and that other DLC mission where you beat up a bunch of monks, but hey. At least I didn't have to wear the puffy vest.

Also. this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_toPB0N49FY

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 15, 2015

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

It's certainly got some noticeable frame drops, but those didn't ruin the experience or anything. Not for me at least, your mileage may vary.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

It had more traffic, pedestrians and volumetric fog than the vanilla game, so it required beefier hardware to run at a locked 60 fps. The PS4 version doesn't run anywhere near a locked 60 fps, but it does at least look as good as the PC version at max settings.

edit: oh yeah the PC version had the AA thing too

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Finally, the ModNation Racers sequel we've all been waiting for! :downsrim:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Smash + Grab posted:

Get ready for Smash + Grab, an underground competition where gangs of the future battle it out for loot, power, and infamy inside a corporate urban dystopia.
Choose from a growing selection of faction themed characters to assemble your own crew. Customize your style and gameplay from hundreds of perks and clothing items.

Once assembled, team up with other players to fight, loot, and craft your weaponry to come out on top. Mixing melee and ranged third-person combat, Smash + Grab offers a fresh new take on competitive multiplayer action.
Oh boy, competitive team-based multiplayer action! :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Laputanmachine posted:

In the regular version there was a repeatable mission dlc for cops and one for triads to infinitely grind for XP if you run out of story. I would imagine they are still in the definitive edition as well. The cops one was a car chase and the triad one was an infinite brawl. The brawl was also good for grinding out those medals. The arena is pretty much empty save for one conspicuously placed box in the middle and you could just slide over it and kick people in the face over and over.
The missions themselves are still in the Definitive Edition, but they can only be done once and have been changed a bit. Death by a Thousand Cuts is no longer an infinite brawl, it's now an incredibly annoying fight against 30 guys who have poison knives and you need to beat them all up to get any EXP.

• Locked thread