Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Can someone explain to me why everybody hates Empire so much? I can certainly notice the AI problems, especially in sieges, but I still feel like it's a decent game. The campaign map is miles better than in the older titles.

Also, the Napoleon GOTY isn't on sale; should I wait for that to go down in price or just pick up the regular game now and get the DLC when it goes on sale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Rabhadh posted:

The most likely answer is both ways, over arm while in the phalanx, and switching to underarm when the formation broke up, as in during a rout or for more open combat in general. Remember that the Greek spear, the doru, had a bronze butt spike acting as a counter-weight so was easier to use while overarm. In the Anabasis Xenophon mentions hoplites fighting in more open order several times so we just have to assume that hoplites didn't exclusively fight in a phalanx with overarm spears. Like all bodies of fighting men there was a degree of flexibility.

This man makes some good points regarding underarm vs overarm spears: basically that the greek armour was designed in a way to better protect against where spears would be striking while underarm (ie not in the neck, where they have no armour); it's easier to parry; and it gives you much more reach, which is the main advantage of using a spear in the first place.

He also disagrees with the whole pushing match idea in another of his videos, since in that kind of situation the first few lines of men are basically guaranteed to die whenever they go to battle; nobody with any sense would agree to be put in that position.

Unrelatedly, has anybody tried Total War Battles? Is the faction pack that comes with it random?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I sit them behind my artillery to guard from cavalry and forget about them. They seem to work okay; probably not very efficient, but I never paid much attention to empire battles anyway.

And can someone explain to me why Darth insists on adding the Star Wars stuff? Is he like eight years old or something? Because I don't remember anybody that would consider something as garish and stupid as that a welcome supplement to their anything after about that age. How hard would it be to take it out of the menus? Is it just a matter of replacing a couple of art assets and sound files, or does he work hard to keep his filthy prints in the game.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Considering the emphasis the modders put on REALISM :argh: to the point of giving the factions names that are so correct that historians don't even use them, that seems completely ridiculous. I think vanilla gives the soldiers morale that is much higher than it would have been in reality for your average farmer-conscript put to war against his wishes.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Some information about the Roman faction has been released: http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War:_Rome_II_-_Roman_Faction

I know the link was (is) being flaky so I'll post the information here too.

Faction index posted:

Ranging from the Spanish coast to the far-flung, exotic kingdoms of the east, the campaign map for Total War: ROME II™ is breath-taking in scope, and a study in detail and variety. This page is your source for background information about each of the playable factions: their starting position on the campaign map, their civic and military focus, and some of their key battlefield units.

The playable factions represent key powers within the Greco-Roman, Barbarian, and Eastern cultures, and each offers a notably different and deeper form of gameplay experience from those in previous Total War games. Each brings unique commercial, military and political strengths, its own agents and political system, and three tech trees representing civic, military and engineering disciplines. Each will have its own dilemmas to face and different styles of army to manage. Some factions are split into a number of playable families, which bring further unique benefits to their base faction traits.

Players will need to work with – and in certain circumstances against – their faction’s internal political system. You’ll direct the actions of famous characters from history, and if they’re not out in the field commanding your armies, they’ll be politicking in the senate house, or its cultural equivalent. Players would be wise to keep an eye on such individuals…

Some factions rely more on mercenaries for their military might; some prefer to train their own. Some rely on client-nations or vassals to boost their economic growth, while others are more trade-focussed. Whichever you choose, each faction brings a completely different gameplay experience to Total War: ROME II™.

Rome faction page posted:

The Roman Republic is in a period of major growth. Pyrrhus and his invading Greek warriors have been driven from the shores of Italy, and the burgeoning Republic boasts the military muscle to match its ambition. Rome is the dominant power on the Italian peninsula, and stands at a turning point in history. But to expand, she must conquer. To the North lies the Estruscan League, and beyond, the Barbarian lands. To the east lie the Greeks, and to the south and west, the Carthaginians…

Since throwing off the rule of the Etruscan Kings in around 500BC, the Roman Republic has come to represent a power like no other. Military service is mandatory for citizens, and one of the most profound contributions a citizen can make. This makes the Republic militaristic at its very heart.

The strength of the Roman army lies in organisation, discipline and strict tactical doctrine. Well-drilled, well-equipped heavy infantry form the backbone of the army. The young, lightly armoured hastati man the frontlines. Behind them stand the more skilled, chainmail-clad principes. The oldest and most experienced warriors – the bronze-armoured triarii – hold the rear. These monolithic formations are supported by the Roman cavalry, or equites.

As a playable faction, Rome benefits economically from its excellence in metalwork, enjoys enhanced military development, and can exploit the masses in order to maintain public order. Furthermore, the player will choose to conduct the affairs of Rome as the head of one of three great Roman houses: The Julia, The Cornelia, and the Junia, each of which bring further economic, military and cultural benefits.

Interesting that we'll get to see all of these other civilizations too now that the faction limit isn't there anymore. Playable Etruscans either by mod or DLC? And I wonder what they'll do with some of the regions we're not so sure about; I will be disappointed if we get places with just "Rebels" again.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

considerably posted:

Anyway, quick question. Once I'm development level 4 or whatever, do I have to worry about modernization anymore? It doesn't seem to have any effect (other than happiness in some cases, but that's listed separately), but I'm not sure.

I know at least that if you destroy all the buildings for it once you hit 4 you'll drop in development levels, so you need to stay in 4 until you research everything in the game at least. I don't remember any other benefit though, although I haven't played a great deal of FoTS.

Also I just started playing the Otomo faction pack and it's really interesting going gunpowder units for a change, since I skipped over them in all of my Vanilla games; I always thought they were incredibly weak... and now I find out there's a rank fire ability. Was that always there? It makes even the most basic matchlock unit completely devastating; I've been winning all of my battles pretty handily, and unlike the usual early game advantage you get for training proper units while the AI just spams ashigaru, the matchlocks annihilate samurai too. It's incredibly satisfying.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

ArchangeI posted:

I'm still surprised they didn't decide to go with an American Civil War game next. It is pretty much just an extensive reskin of FOTS, anyway, and it would probably sell really well, considering the popularity of ACW mods.

Because that would be their fourth 18th/19th century gunpowder game in 4 years, with just 1 that was traditional- and even that had a lot of gunpowder in it. ACW and FoTS are gameplay-wise extremely similar; they released pretty extensive modding support now; some modder can cover it, because as you said it is pretty much just an extensive reskin of FoTS. I would much rather they dedicate the resources to a radically different (and more interesting :toot:) period, and I think a lot of people agree with me.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 10, 2012

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Information about Carthage has been released now. I wonder how the mercenary system will work now. Has it been in any game since Medieval 2?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Dryer Lint posted:

Hey TWGoons, it's been a while. I'm working on a super effort historical mockup of the Shogun 2 campaigns and I'm trying to find some high resolution versions of the province maps without the numbers on the provinces and all that jazz. Even better would be the in-game 2d Fog of War/Shroud map because it's gorgeous. I've already sifted through about 100 pages of google images as well as the twcenter forums (ew) and I'd really appreciate any help you can offer with finding these maps.

If you want to get a map of historical late-Muromachi/Sengoku Japan, people in the Japan thread would probably know where to look. I don't know whether anything is gonna be identical to the campaign map but I'd guess it'll be pretty similar.

e: How big are you looking for though? There are scaled up versions of that map online; photoshopping out the numbers would take very little effort.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 16, 2012

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Why are they going on and on about Carthage? It'll be one single Historical Battle at best, not the meat of the game.

Release is still a long way off, I doubt any of the other factions are fleshed out to nearly the same extent. I am really curious what the others will be though; I'd love it if they went as far as India.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Xenixx posted:

How's that?

Have you ever played TW? The units control completely differently. And I don't just mean in the "there are three hundred guys per unit" kind of way; it's meant to, in a lot of ways, simulate being a general. The dudes you command in TW are not as responsive, intentionally, as your SC dudes. Of course it doesn't come close to what it'd actually be like commanding an army, but it is still such a different kind of experience that a comparison between the two is pretty stupid.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Flippycunt posted:

If anything units need to react slower.

In Shogun 2 MP you used to be able to "dance" units in and out of arrow range to waste your opponents arrows, which is, of course, stupid. They increased arrow speeds so I think its not as common anymore, but my point is, even if every unit magically had radios they wouldnt be able to turn around and perform complex maneuvers on a dime so being able to expect instant reactions from your entire army is ridiculous.

Obviously units shouldn't be too unresponsive, but knowing that if you gently caress up and place your units in the wrong place that you can't micro your way out of it adds a whole new layer to the battle. It means you have to plan ahead and plot your actions carefully instead of just clicking widly.

Especially when you consider the usual form of giving out orders pre-WW1 was:
-General gives order
-Staffer writes down order
-Runner takes written order, runs it over to the unit in question
-Unit commander reads order, gives commands to his subordinates
-Subordinates order the men into action

I know I can still kite arrows in singleplayer as of a couple of days ago, but maybe they just changed it in multiplayer?

While I don't advocate having units as responsive as in Starcraft, I do think slowing them down might be a little much. In a real battle your dudes wouldn't just stand around dying waiting for orders from the general (okay well at least not usually); there would be guys lower in the chain of command telling them to do things, maybe they would even be drilled to perform certain manoeuvrings like the Japanese flying arrow dance. Of course commands lower down can't be simulated (or rather would be incredibly annoying), so we have things like a column of spearmen standing in a line facing nothing while getting hacked at for 5 minutes in the rear by a group of 10 samurai because we forgot about them. That would never happen in real life either, and the faster reaction times do something to compensate.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Has anybody tried the Saints and Heroes pack for Shogun 2? How does it work exactly; I assume you can get the units in the campaign map and not just multiplayer, but how?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

MadJackMcJack posted:

I hope they also force the AI to keep their armies in the field, maybe have a mechanic where keeping armies inside cities incurs a penalty, because in almost all of the campaigns I've had it devolves into siege after siege because no enemy will take to the field :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IO-CooA4_Y

You can also just starve the defenders out and force a battle.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 26, 2013

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
FoTS is the exception; it's at the start of more modernized warfare, where everything changes.

I don't think prevalence of sieges are an issue in the games; it makes sense, both gameplay wise and historically, and if you really don't want to assault any holdings you can force a battle by starving them out. In the more recent games the sorties have been actual battles too, not just the defenders scrambling out of their gate to attack.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

liveoctopus posted:

Sieges also involved tactics that the Total War games don't touch on, like excavating under walls in order to collapse them, with of course counter-excavation from the besieged. And constant negotiation and intimidation tactics that went on every day. A siege was rarely a single battle, but usually a little war all its own.

While I don't see this happening in Rome 2, I could see a multi-battle siege becoming a thing in future Total War games; with the multiple capture point thing being introduced now I see no reason they couldn't split that up into a few battles you do over the course of several turns on a single city. Maybe between battles you get to say where you send your sappers or counter-sappers among other actions. Removing the whole 'blitz the center' part of sieges opens up a whole load of possibilities.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Chomp8645 posted:

B) Do I care much about additions to the campaign

If you primarily play Total War games for the single player campaigns then you may want the clan packs (Otomo Clan, Hattori Clan, etc). They each add a fairly unique new clan to the single player campaign, However none of them add anything to the multi player with the exception of a few retainers included in the Ikko-Ikki clan pack, so if you're primary interest in the game is for multi player you can probably skip these over. Other than that get the Dragon Battle Pack if you want more historical missions (and have Fall of the Samurai), and get the Blood Pack if you want cartoonish blood effects that look like there were made by an amateur modder who got lost from the Nexus.

Snowy posted:

I just got Shogun 2, my first of the Total War games. Haven't even tried it out yet due to powers supply issues.

With the sales wrapping up soon, is there any DLC that is especially good that I should try to pick up?

Be pretty wary about which clan pack DLCs you get, they're not all particularly unique. For the vanilla campaign, Otomo and Ikko Ikki are great and significant diversions from the rest of the clans, both starting out as different religions; Otomo are Christian, with a lot more developed European elements; Ikko Ikki are a different sect of Buddhism from the rest of the clans, and they get a lot of unique monk units. If you plan on playing the vanilla campaign a lot those are both well worth getting. Hattori are very ninja-centric and so will play a bit differently from the other clans, but I don't think they have anything unique about them other than the usual clan-specific stat modifiers you get everywhere else.

For FoTS, none of the clan packs have different unit rosters or anything, so only really get them if one of the faction bonuses particularly sticks out to you or you like the look of their starting location (Saga seems to be a favourite among my friends; they start in Nagasaki and are the only non-Satsuma Kyushu clan, with already-ready European trade links- so they're pretty easy if you're looking to experiment in FoTS). Here is a good map to see the differences between FoTS factions.

In summation for faction packs, if you enjoy the Shogun 2 campaigns a lot you should probably get the Otomo and Ikko Ikki factions, the rest are only worth it if you get really into the game.

I would actually say the Sengoku Jidai pack is far more entertaining in singleplayer since you get to abuse the units to all hell. You're most likely going to be marching around with a mass of a few of your favourite units in the end game anyway, might as well have a few more choices. Saints and Heroes doesn't play much differently but it's fun for a little flavour.

In general my recommendations are FoTS > RoTS > Sengoku Jidai > Otomo > Ikko Ikki > Saints & Heroes > everything else

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Chomp8645 posted:

I suppose they aren't going to do anything at all. Creative Assembly only has the Warhammer Fantasy license. 40K is exclusive (in the world of video games) to THQ/Relic.

What's gonna happen now that THQ is going under though?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Dead Man Posting posted:

I am wondering if there is a way to expand the map in Napoleon Total War to include all of Northern Europe?

My goal here is to play as Sweden. I found startpos mods that allow players to play as normally non-playable factions, but there isn't a point in playing Sweden if you can only see a little part of your country.

Nope, ETW and NTW are notoriously unmoddable. Potentially something might come up in the future but don't hold your breath.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Dead Man Posting posted:

I don't understand all the ETW hate. At least in that game it has a larger map and more playable factions! Is it because of the poor AI and bugs?

You have to understand the bugs and AI were really bad. It's a game about the age of the sail that launched with AI that couldn't ship troops across oceans. Napoleon improves on it in pretty much every way except for scope. People hate on it in particular I think because of what it could have been; a lot of people here like the more local directed campaigns, but I think most people still prefer the huge open maps- and Empire could have been the hugest openest map with such a variety of cultures, more sophisticated interactions between states and massive differences in terrain for battles. It's about the most expansive a map can be in Total War (going to any later period gets too lethal- see FoTS) and CA bunged it up, and we're not getting another try for a very long time.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 27, 2013

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Brownie posted:

Sorry to resurrect the thread but I'm only just now getting around to playing Shogun 2 and was wondering if there were any mods or anything that would make the experience more enjoyable now that the games been out for so long. Note that I'm talking about vanilla Shogun - no expansions or dlc.

The DLC is pretty cheap and on the whole very good, it will really diversify your experience. There's a bunch to flesh out the vanilla campaign too if your problem is not wanting to do the other ones. Otherwise, a lot of people here recommend Radious' mods, they add a lot.

I don't understand your problem with it though? It's still a fairly new game, currently the most graphically impressive strategy game on the market, and it's by far the most polished TW game in the entire series. If you haven't tried it at all it seems pretty silly to me to make the judgement that it's going to be boring by default; it really isn't.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Sober posted:

Is vassalage in S2 even worth it? It seemed like such an amazing hassle trying to do it in Rome or Medieval 2 that I would just run down their last city and loot it or something instead. I mean, this isn't a Paradox grand strategy, so accumulating more territory never feels like it gets more overwhelming at all.

Yeah that is a definite problem with the series; it's more of a self-imposed challenge than anything else. Any vassals pre-realm divide in vanilla will turn on you just like everybody else, so unless you want to suddenly have to fight half your most pacified and allied territories far behind your frontline at that moment it's a pretty bad idea to take any. That said, maybe you do want to do that, extra challenges in my opinion are something of a necessity in the late game. Perhaps the only actual reason I can think of is if there's an especially worthless province; teching everything up everywhere is a huge moneysink- although it's still probably worth it in the long run.

My main reason for taking vassals instead of conquering though is because I find a mosaic of colours much prettier than the massive blocks you get 10 years in though. Wish they had let you do that in Empire.

e: ^^^^ is it really? I suppose I've just been doing it wrong then. I swear I've had my vassals turn on me in realm divide.

e2: that's probably because I'm a horrible ruler

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Trujillo posted:

There's always going to be a few clans with a runaway lead early on. It's almost like random clans get some kind of lucky clan bonus like in eu3 because I've even seen Honma take over north Japan.

Really? I've never seen them do anything really, although they do tend to last a long time; I've seen them eat half a dozen stacks and come off it no worse for wear. What difficulty are you playing at? I haven't gotten far past hard; maybe the AI only does frequent sea invasions on harder difficulties.

Has anybody actually had Tokugawa survive for any length of time, let alone become a power? They always get wiped out first or second in every game I've tried. Funny considering they were the historical victors, although I guess that might be part of why CA made it so difficult for them.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Gimnbo posted:

The Chosokabe are probably the easiest clan to play in the vanilla campaign.

If you can win your first couple of wars as the Shimazu you're virtually unstoppable, since Kyushu is incredibly easy to hold. Shikoku has a lot more fronts to worry about. Not to mention that as the Shimazu you have instant access to 2/3rds of the trade routes.

What clans do people generally play? Come to think of it I'm not sure I've ever started on the east side of the map...

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

I'm trying very hard and radious' mod both for the first time, and this happened. I'd also managed to wipe two stacks in the turn before they attacked me. Is this something I should be expecting from now on? I'd never seen more than 3 AI stacks together even in the late game, and this is only a couple of years in.

Suffice it to say I lost that battle, although I did manage to kill off enough of them that my province remained safe.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Spakstik posted:

In FOTS (or Shogun 2 in general, although I only have FOTS), what is the benefit of making someone a vassal as opposed to conquering them outright? Recent posts make it sound like a potential pain in the butt, and from reading this thread it sounds like there's a decent chance they'll knife you in the back during the realm divide if you opt for a particular path.

Your map will be nice and colourful.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Brownie posted:

Man playing as the "easy" Shimazu is so much harder than I expected. Within 2 years everyone I've met has declared war on me and as a result I have no trade partners and no money. I rushed the trading outposts as soon as possible but as soon as I had my 5 ships total the enemy had several 2-3 sized fleets waiting to attack me, which was pretty frustrating. The AI also has several stacks of units, which I feel like it's not possible to have given how few economic development tools you have this early in the game.

Either way, I'm loving this game so much. I do sort of wish naval battles weren't such a chore early on, but its almost worth it to hear that ridiculous "Prepare to repel the boarders!" which always always sounds like "Boners" to me.

EDIT: Do you actually make more money off a vassal city than you do by just owning it? Because that doesn't really make any sense.

It gets better; the Shimazu have one of the hardest starts in the game but after you take all of Kyushu it's a cakewalk.

And no, but keep in mind that occupying and developing provinces is extremely expensive, so for the less worthwhile ones it can often be a good idea to just vassalize them and not have to deal with either of those problems.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

El Chingon posted:

This might have been posted before but I can't find anything.

Is there a mod that replaces de music in SH2? after 250 hours logged, I can't stand the music anymore. I miss the first Medieval soundtrack.

Yes, you go to the options menu, mute the music and have itunes (or your preferred audio service) up in the background. :smug:

Koramei fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 18, 2013

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Tomn posted:

Wasn't there one modder who kept "quitting" the modding scene because CA wouldn't hire him or show him proper respect or something?

Edit: Holy cow that Roman-fan is nuts.

To be fair to the TWC forums, it seems like there's a lot of people calling him out for being a nitpicking idiot, but yeah, the few times I've wandered over myself for whatever reason doesn't usually show up much that's better.

Did :agesilaus: get a twcenter account?

Interesting that Macedon is playable this time; in the original wasn't it one of the factions that you couldn't unlock normally?

I do wonder how technology will go in this game though, whether we'll be able to change unit composition entirely. The Roman maniple system is basically flat out better than the hellenistic phalanx, so if the AI has any sense the Macedonian and other successor states will basically be impossible to play by a certain point. Maybe I'm overstating it, but I really do hope we can have Macedonian legionaries with aspis and throwable heads and whatever we want, because otherwise some of the factions that historically didn't have these advances are basically going to lose, period.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

RentACop posted:

Ehhhhh better yes but not insurmountable. And actual dudes on the battlefield is only a part of it, if you outnumber them because your economy is better then they're gonna have trouble exploiting your lack of flexibility. (Also its the AI so odds are it won't be exploiting anything)

I really hope they keep a good rein in on the historical accuracy, leave that poo poo for the crazy mods (also make the game moddable again you fucks :argh: )

I dunno, the part of TW games that feels most lacking to me is the late-game for the more tribal and historically less developed cultures. I'd really like to have Scythians and so on that can settle in proper cities and make infrastructure and walls and crap right on the same league as the Mediterranean powers; when you give them a unified empire they'd undoubtedly innovate, there's just nothing in their actual history to put in the game. Alt history all the way! Mods are really the place for hyper-accuracy anyway, the base game is always supposed to be more about fun.

Also this is a completely irrelevant point to everything but I'm still like 90% sure that Macedon was unplayable unless you unlocked it in the text files :shepface:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Zyla posted:

I haven't really looked to see what the differences are when jumping to very hard, but the weirdest thing I notice is machine gunning ashigaru archers. Their reload time seems incredibly lower when I am fighting against them. Bug?

I think their fire rate is always high (although not preposterously so), but it does seem like they get an accuracy boost on hard+. Maybe it just seems like that since the AI masses archers more at those difficulties, but they're definitely a pain. The biggest difference between hard and very hard though is that the AI starts noticeably cheating. Like, they will churn out so many stacks that the game takes a turn for the frustrating instead of the nice-difficult you get on hard. I posted a while back about having to fight 6 full stacks at once incredibly early in the game, and it's only gotten worse since then.

Also maybe it's just me but I feel like the RNG for the autoresolve starts corresponding less to the troop values and more to "gently caress you you lose".

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Unzip and Attack posted:

In my experience, archers pretty much suck in general. All their abilities count for poo poo if you can get an expendable group of ashigaru or ligh cav to melee them for 1 second. I often just have one unit of archers to goad the AI or to use whistling arrows in a scrum but they simply aren't good enough to form your army around (in my opinion at least). As you said, they just don't inflict enough damage and are way too vulnerable.

Not at all, you just need to protect them. A unit of yari ashigaru on either side of the archers will halt 2 or 3 units of cavalry each (against the AI), and if you have a few archers they can do ridiculous damage. 1 unit of bow ashigaru won't do poo poo of course, but 5 or 6 bow samurai can kill off half their army before they even touch your melee line; keep in mind that no units have shields in this game. I go too extreme in this really; by the end of the game my armies are often entirely bow warrior monks. With the accuracy upgrades at the craftworks and encampment combined they'll see off literally anything the AI can throw at them before even getting touched. It's a little silly, really. No idea why you don't like them.

edit: jesus Alchenar and Arcturas why do you ever have to disagree with each other it confuses me every time.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 25, 2013

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Krazyface posted:

Okay so I bought RotS as soon as it came out but have only just gotten around to playing it. Is it normal, for your "sister family" to declare war on you? I know it's meant to happen after Realm divide, but in this game (playing as one of the Fujiwaras) it happened on like turn ten. I think the reason may have been that I took two towns and boxed them in (even though we had military access). The diplomacy screen claimed that relations had collapsed due to "past grievances"; over the course of about three turns they cancelled the alliance, ended trade, and declared war.

How would you feel about being boxed in? :colbert:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

shalcar posted:

You never actually backed that little bit of information up. Your argument is for never investing in anything as troops are always better, so it would be spend the farm money on troops to take more provinces.

It's a long and complex argument with a large number of assumptions which we have no indication that we are even on the same page. Certainly almost every "All farms all the time" maths I have seen makes several insane assumptions about marginal utility of the koku, along with a great many oversimplifications regarding clan size.

They also almost always work on the long campaign numbers, despite the game being balanced around the short game-span.

Food glut can be quite viable, but it's certainly not anywhere near always the best strategy.

I think it's also important to remember that markets will amass you more than enough koku as it is. Perhaps in the long run a food surplus will be more profitable, but that really is the long run; like two thirds of the way through the campaign before it starts to take effect. By that point in the game Shogun 2 is already too easy.

I'm just guestimating with the times here but really, let's be liberal and say you have a 15 food surplus and maintain it for a long time; that's 15+ town growth per season, so 60 a year. In 10 years you have 600+ to town, which is... what, the same as a market (or thereabouts)? In 10 years? It'd take the better part of 10 years to get to the point where you can farm that much, and 20 years on top of that before it starts really raking in money beyond what you'd get by more sane measures. Perhaps it'd work as a challenge for yourself, but it'd handicap you to hell in the early game and that's the time you really need the koku anyway. The Realm divide trade severing can be tough but it's still hardly ever an existential threat; the beginning is where the trouble is.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Jabronie posted:

There were a couple but they haven't been updated since the middle of last year. As far as I know one of the DLC packs, specifically the Otomo DLC, killed off this kind of unit card modding.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=443470
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=429427

The units are colour coded in Radious' mod, which includes the Otomo units, so I don't see why it isn't still possible?

Personally I think the vanilla cards are actually really good and clear though. Once you know which are naginata units and which are yari units it's easy to tell what's what at a glance.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Sober posted:

I'm at war with the Date clan in the far east, as is pretty much the entire rest of the map, but the three or four big powers (including myself) are sitting right next to one another with my bigger "ally" (he has maybe 4-5 more provinces than me) seated right between them. Of course, I have Kyushu and Shikoku but he has all of the western part of Japan, so when poo poo starts to go down it's gonna be real nasty, which now you make me morbidly curious about. It's going to be super dumb because I have to march my troops (or sail them) past everyone else to get to the Date clan's lands to even attack them while my allies are closer. Guess I better suck it up.

If you're a hair away from Realm Divide don't even worry about the Date, just consolidate what you have and start fortifying what you think you can hold. I would say it'll be extremely hard for you to lose Kyushu, especially on normal; There might be a couple of naval invasion forces sent to the north of the island it should be incredibly easy to beat them back. So worst case scenario you lose all your holdings outside Kyushu, but then you can go on the offensive again and claw your way through Honshu without having to worry about allies that'll knife you in the back. While the beginning part of Realm Divide can be extremely hectic and threatening it isn't the same kind of existential crisis for the Kyushu and Shikoku clans.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 31, 2013

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Sober posted:

Yeah I think being at war with them is whatever. I've been spending most of my turns trying to figure out my provinces, though I kinda wished I had some idea of what to do with them economically as my market/sake den chains have only really gone to 2 and only border castle towns are 3 or 4 stages up. poo poo gets expensive and I can barely afford a building upgrade per turn.

Really? Well that's going to be an issue then; you ought to be making like 10,000 koku a turn before Realm Divide. Are you making use of metsuke? How upgraded are your farms, how upgraded are your ports? Since you have Kyushu you have free access to 4 trade nodes; those are worth like 16,000 alone. Do you just have a fuckoff enormous army or something?

edit: which is to some a valid strategy but I myself prefer the "throw peas at the enemy so your buildings develop" approach.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Sober posted:

I'm barely scratching 3k koku a turn. Farms are 4/5 since I haven't been putting much into the civic arts tree to be able to upgrade them further. Metsuke I train out of a town with a library (?) and send them out from there but maxed out as well. Ports I believe I have maxed out, but I probably forgot to retake the trade spots from people I was supposed to boot out. Unfortunately I only have like 3 big armies, so yeah, my economic situation is pretty crappy.

Yeah, the pre-Empire province/economic management was never one of my strong suits. :negative:

Do you have a ton of ashigaru sitting in your towns to quell uprisings that you've since forgotten about or something? You really ought to be making more unless something is going horribly wrong. My only suggestions are 1. get those drat trade spots, alliances be damned since everybody is going to hate you in a little bit anyway; 2. grab Sado, the little island above the eastern half of Honshu. It has gold on it so at the least you ought to get a couple of thousand more a turn, and it's incredibly easy to defend.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Tyack posted:

It also comes in handy if you use military access as a way to seal a trade agreement in. Which means that the faction now finds the deal satisfactory and also won't betray you in a hurry.

Hm, if you box somebody in but give them military access will make them less likely to declare war on you? As in, they'll just go through your lands in order to expand?

edit: vvv I don't know if you're being facetious but thinking about it being hated by everybody really does sound like a fun challenge.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Tyack posted:

May have said it wrong. I meant if you give military access to a hostile enemy in exchange for trade rights they are less likely to betray you due to their honor system and it helps seal the deal.

No no you were clear sorry, I shouldn't have quoted your post it was more me wondering. A couple of pages ago someone talked about boxing in their sister clan in RoTS and getting war declared on them pre-realm divide; the AI will always declare war on you if you box them in completely since they need somewhere to expand, but I wonder if giving them military access prevents that.