Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Hello guys!

Where do you get nowadays the Land to Conquer mod, and what's the last version? Because the Totalwar.org forums links are broken. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Now that I can run Shogun 2, I'm loving it. Any good mods? Mostly rebalance stuff, I guess - things like Stainless Steel (better tactics required to win battles) would be fine too!

Also, any idea regarding Rome 2's release date? Has it been announced or hinted at? :shobon:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Tarezax posted:

I've tried the Radious mod for vanilla Shogun 2 and I think it's pretty bad. There's a bewildering array of extra units, but that isn't the big problem. No, the biggest problem is his balance changes. I can take the increased melee defense, but the massive increase to morale (yari ashigaru start with 10 morale) means every battle is a ridiculous slog, because samurai units will literally never rout until they get down to like 20 men.

The best one was The Rights of Man 3, but the creator of that mod appears to have abandoned it, and the patch with the Otomo DLC broke it.

EDIT: I've spoken too soon. Some enterprising fan from the twcenter forums has released a compatibility patch for the Otomo and Saints and Heroes DLC.

Double EDIT: The Otomo clan is still kinda buggy with this fix though. Apparently the Otomo are still coded as an unlocked minor clan.

Oh, that explains my last battle then. :v:

What would be a good faction to begin with? Date? I'm making the jump from Medieval 2 to Shogun 2 - never played Empire or Napoleon.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Sober posted:

The graphics settings in Shogun 2 are dumb. Shadows are just squares until ultra unless you tack on soft shadows at high or ultra, trees disappear and pop in even on ultra (and it gets funnier on the campaign map), unit detail on high still has pop-in during prebattle cutscenes (especially the generic ones) and depth of field is hilarious unless it is off; I love it when it just focuses on nothing when your general is giving his speech. I turned off grass and shadows and a lot of stuff to low just because it's visual clutter.

Now I feel like one of those Quake 3 :spergin: that turn all the settings off so I can see clearly, which actually has been a problem until now for Shogun 2. Sort of. I should stop zooming in during battles, that would be a good start. Not sure if I'm looking forward to even turning on all the fancy visual poo poo when Rome 2 drops.

Yeah, this is pretty much my only gripe. Also, fighting in forests ends up being a clusterfuck and I can't check who's where, even with the Highlight Everyone button. :v:

Should Samurai be the core of my force, or that's reserved for the Ashigaru? I've been using a Samurai core with some Ashigaru as cannon fodder. Good thing they removed the "Peasants" unit - I never saw the point in those.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Also Food > Economy Buildings, meaning unless it's a city with a goldmine or something similar, upgrading your markets is hardly worth it. Excess food grants growth across ALL provinces.

Oh, that's nifty. I come from Medieval 2, where you would upgrade ports, markets and roads as fast as you could to get gold. :v:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Agreed. Also, the game puts Samurai cards side by side. :v:

By the way, I see that the smaller focus in this game means your armies tend to be smaller, both in size and quantity, than in Medieval 2. Also, my best general has almost no loyalty, and I just gave him the chance to redeem himself. :(

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Nah, I was referring to the upkeep of each individual unit. In Medieval 2 I could get a big army right out of the gate (3/4 full stack) and only mercenaries would start being a hindrance upkeep-wise. But in this game, 4-5 Ashigaru and 2 Samurai as consuming just as much gold per turn.

It's been a while since I booted Medieval 2, though, I should go and check that.

Azran fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 31, 2013

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

So what's this Realm Divide stuff? Started over with the Chosokabe, and I just began to take a few provinces in mainland Japan - I'm almost at Tokyo (had a huge clash with the Ikko Ikki where I killed five thousand troops). Also, is it just me or all non-Damyio wifes have the "-1 loyalty for the general" trait?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

LGD posted:

Realm Divide is a new mechanic introduced in Shogun 2 specifically as a way to prevent you from being able to play divide and conquer while controlling obscene amounts of economic and military resources compared to any potential foes. It works pretty well from a gameplay perspective as it avoids the inverse or skewed difficulty curve a lot of strategy games tend to have where the start and midgame is much more difficult and engaging than the mop-up fest of endgame.

Yeah, this kind of stuff is the reason why I end up preferring a full campaign of a Total War game over, say, Civilization. The end-game doesn't feel like a chore.

Also, you guys weren't kidding - Chobosake archer units are extremely :black101:. Though my Ashigaru army has gone above and beyond the call of duty, I think it's time to retire them into peacekeeping positions, and bring the Samurai and Monks.
Also, the lack of siege weapons certainly confused me early on - but once I realised forcing the defender to attack means you fight away from their fortifications, I stopped caring.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I'm looking for a :spergin:-fueled analysis of how the battle math is calculated (either Medieval or Shogun 2) - you get some stats when you look at a unit, sure, but how are they related?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Fizzil posted:

Betting Seleucids will be DLC, a faction that copies the unique units of all the other factions for free? I don't think so :colbert:

Oh, right. I loved the variety the Seleucids had in the original RTW. I never bothered to check why they copied so many special units into their army, but I left it as "gameplay over historical accuracy", just like how the Egyptians were portrayed. The difference is - I don't know anything about the Seleucids. :v:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I don't really like pre-cannon navies in Shogun Total War, and if you are going for a better navy, your economy and ground military will suffer a lot. The campaign turn limit is really short too - what is it, 200 turns?
Though it was certainly amusing to see a Sengoku Bune take my Shogun ship completely by itself. :v: It was Rank 1, and they lost like 40 guys while killing the 200 melee troops inside. So much for Japan's flagship!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Zyla posted:

a navy is completely optional and often counterproductive.

But when you play clans like the Shimazu, I was told trade routes were essential. Having no bunes makes those routes too easy to raid by Wako Raiders.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I take the multiplayer isn't worth it? I've played 5 matches so far, and though every single one of them has been a Costly Victory for the other guy, I hate the unit limitation they imposed. I just got rocked by 6 FOTS line infantry units because my best cavalry unit were Light Cavalry. :(

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

shalcar posted:

Multiplayer is great fun, but the locking out of various units is less than ideal. You can bypass it a bit by buying the DLC unit packs, as they add a veteran unit of the types they provide which tend to fill the gaps of not having a fully unlocked roster (like Fire Cavalry basically being Great Guard or Wako Raiders being like Katana Samurai).

It's not ideal, but it doesn't take too long to get done.

Oh yeah, I got that unit DLC - I'm just missing the Otomo and Ikko Ikki ones, and the Hero Units one (which I thought wouldn't apply to multiplayer). I just unlocked Yari Cavalry, and I'm mostly trying to get 2 or 3 veterans on each unit type, so I guess I'll sooner or later win some battles.

Also, it's certainly weird to see how much depth I've missed in these 4-5 years I've been playing Total War games. :v:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Llamadeus posted:

Multiplayer Protips: untick "mixed avatars". Base Shogun 2 vs FotS isn't really balanced at all. Also be careful when upgrading unique DLC and hero units: they can't be reset and plenty of people end up putting bad/suboptimal upgrades.

I thought having "Mixed avatars" on would give me a bigger player pool. :shobon:

Also, what upgrades are bad or suboptimal? The clan tokens ones?

V SHAMEFUL DISPLAY. Nah, seriously though - I'd say I lose one battle per every 15 I fight (Normal Difficulty). I'm about to win with the Oda faction - just missing 9 provinces and Tokyo, and supposedly it's one of the "hard" starts. :v:

Azran fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 5, 2013

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Welp, won with the Oda on Normal (short campaign). :black101: It's weird, though - after Realm Divide hit, the Takeda (who had an entire third of the main island) remained my trusted allies through the rest of the match, but one of my post-RD vassals went and declared war on me. Alright I guess.

Also, I don't really see how a Long Campaign is feasible when after getting 18+ provinces Realm Divide starts. :v: Is the fame progress slower in longer games?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

Nope, you still hit Realm Divide around 18-20 provinces. A lot of it depends on positioning though. If I'm the Shimazu or Chokosabe, 18 provinces means I can have the whole west of Japan under my control, and then just slowly push forward with that. Alternatively, if I'm Hojo or Dewa or something, I should have a good chunk of the east. As long as you keep a set of provinces in the back with upgraded markets/ninjas to pump out money, it isn't that bad. Let megastacks break on an upgraded castle, then push forward one province at a time.

Oh yeah, that ended up being my plan. :v: But wait - Hojo or Dewa? :raise: Are those FOTS-only factions or something?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Haha, I totally blanked on the existance of the Hojo. Thought there was a Lesser clans mod or something.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Krazyface posted:

A general S2 question:

Is it meant to be possible for vassals to declare war on you? I know it happens inevitably after realm divide, but these were vassals I created after it started. What happened was, one of my vassals (the only one I had created before RD) declared war on me, as I expected. In that same turn, every other faction declared war on me, including the four or five new clans I had just created. Is this a scripted event, or did the one vassal just set off a chain reaction? (due to the diplomacy hit)

Yeah, had the same thing happen to me. I restored your clan to existance and this is how you repay me, you traitorous swine. :argh: Also, the second biggest clan in Japan didn't declare war against me during Realm Divide. :downs: I thought EVERYONE would attack you, but it was actually rather fun.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

So I don't know if the system specs were hinted at or anything, but I hope my PC can run it decently at least. :ohdear: (It can run Shogun 2 with everything on the high setting with barely any hiccups, none if I remove shadows).

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I got the Otomo and Ikko Ikki DLC, and the added Veteran units for multiplayer sure are nifty. I kinda wonder if I should be doing veteran-only armies on matches with 10,000 koku, since I'd like them to be getting more experience and skills, and I could always just spam Yari Cavalry/Loanswords whenever I lack vets.

Also, should I be bothering with Veteran Ashigaru? I'm trying to build a veteran Samurai core, so Samurai Archers/Yari/Katana instead of the Ashigaru equivalents. Is this a bad idea?
Any "bad choices" regarding the Avatar skill tree? I'm mostly going for a combat Avatar, since with the amount of fire arms I face, they end up being safer in the middle of a melee. And it looks cool. :v:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Getting ready to go back and play some older TW games that I haven't messed with in awhile.

- Empire / Napoleon: I never really played much Empire or Napoleon. What mods do you guys recommend for them, if any? I'm probably more interested in the larger scale of Empire over Napoleon.

- MTWII: Played tons, but not in awhile. What mods are recommended for Kingdoms? I never played a Rome / Byz game and would like to try that.

Thanks!

I think there was never a mod scene for Empire and Napoleon. Something regarding lack of mod tools, I think.

Kingdoms got some great mods. I'd recommend Lands to Conquer (I don't think it's available any more though, all links are dead) as a MTW2+, and Stainless Steel 6.4 as an overall harder, kinda more realistic mod (you can set some stuff to improve the realism, or reduce it, such like supply lines and winter attrition).

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I agree with Alchenar. I actually like that focus on standing armies - when preparing for Realm Divide as the Oda, I prioritized getting provinces with natural chokepoints, while avoiding the ones without them. I ended up with three armies and a mobile reserve. Its a shame cavalry is so underused in Shogun 2 - my first two Cavalry units were the ones you get after becoming Shogun. :v:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

It seems I can't run mods in my Steam-bought Medieval 2? :raise: I'm using the Medieval 2 Kingdoms launcher, but be it LTC or Stainless Steel, it crashes as soon as I boot it up. Any ideas? (Windows 7)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

The instructor also says that having my units stand next to the guard towers will eventually give me control over them, but all that happens is my men get slaughtered by arrows fired FROM the guard tower. I thought there might be an option to enter/take the tower like there was for the farmhouses/stables in the countryside but if there is I seem to be missing it. In the end I lost a lot of men to arrows from the guardtowers, but I wiped out the forces inside the keep itself and won a costly victory, so at least I completed the tutorial.

Man this is a pretty game, though. I can't wait for Rome 2.

Wait. You can enter buildings? :raise: I thought that stopped after Napoleon! :v:

Is there any goon presence in multiplayer? I'd love to ask for some tips regarding useless units and avatar skills. (Right now, I'm only missing the Saints and Heroes and Rise of the Samurai units).

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Is there any downside to adopting all your generals - besides Upstart Sons (which I guess Adopted into the Family negates...)? It's like a huge, murderous family. :3:

Also, any reason as for why the Loansword Ashigaru are limited?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

shalcar posted:

The loyalty penalty isn't just to the adopted general, it's to all your natural children as well, so it will make your kids loathe you.

Well. :downs:

shalcar posted:

The veteran upgrades gave a flat boost which makes the Loansword overpowered when ranked up to around 4 and spammed. They chose to fix this problem by limiting them.

Oh, I see. Should I be spending Clan Tokens on them? I've got four Rank 5 Loansword units, and they are worth 700 koku each. I've heard it's best to keep them cheap? (Morale, Defense and Attack upgraded).

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I wonder if they'll be keeping the Avatar system for Multiplayer. Once I managed to unlock Naginatas, Yari Cavalry and Horse Archers, I started winning over half my matches in Shogun 2.

EDIT: If I do that "prestige" thing with my General, where I go from Copper Stars to Silver... what do I lose? My skillpoints? My unlocked units? My veterans?

Azran fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 7, 2013

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Trujillo posted:

With shogun 2 gold out has anyone noticed that more people are playing multiplayer? I stopped because you'd spend more time trying to find a match than actually playing one. I'd check myself but it's uninstalled right now.

Yep! There a lot more people around, though for some reason I still get the "No response from the host" whenever I try to join 80% of the available hosted games. Matchmaking works just fine.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Donderbuss Cavalry. :stare: Wow, talk about wrecking units huh.

Also, the Melee General is so much fun. :allears: Charging straight into a yari ashigaru unit and killing half their members before losing one of mine is so loving amazing. :black101:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Wait, just how bad was the Empire AI? Because I still see rebels charging their general right into my Yari Ashigaru ranks in Hard difficulty. :raise:

Also, Gaben won today: I ended up buying Fall of the Samurai with all the DLC, shameful display. :ohdear:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Sometimes Shogun 2 freezes or crashes to desktop randomly - what could it be? I can run it at max settings without any hiccups. Windows 7, by the way. When it freezes, I can't even minimize it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Okay, let's see. I've won three times as much with my FOTS avatar than with my vanilla Shogun one. I think that's mostly because I've been taught which units are worth it, and which aren't. (To be more precise, I've been told Shogitai, Yari Ki, Revolver Cav, White/Black Bears, Royal Marines, Tosa Riflemen, Vermillion Bird Force and Kotetsu Ironclads were all great, cost-efficient units).

Since all of those units have performed amazingly in comparison to their counterparts, I wonder if there are any up-to-date resources with this kind of info for vanilla Shogun 2? I have the feeling I'd lose less if I knew what to take, what not to take, how much to take, and what to improve once they are vets. I know Yari Samurai are pointless, at least. :v: At this point, I've got two vets of every single non-attendant/yari unit (well, I got two yari ashigaru vets with +1 morale, but hey). I've also got all the dlc. (:gaben:)
Any tips would be appreciated.

While we are at it - am I missing something here? The Armstrong gun is 90 koku more expensive than the Parrot, but I get 25 extra base reload skill and like 5 extra accuracy.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

That sure is a helpful post. Thanks a lot!

Llamadeus posted:

Matchlocks are worth taking vanilla or with extended range, bows not worth taking at all unless they're mounted.

Huh. I've got 2 Warrior Bow Monks, 2 Bow Samurai and 2 Foot Samurai vet units. None of those are worth it at all?

Llamadeus posted:

The most efficient units are DLC units: Bulletproof Samurai, Long Yari Ashigaru, Daikyu Samurai, Wako Raiders, Mounted Gunners, Donderbusses. So uh, make sure to not put bad upgrades on those since they can't be undone.

Please define bad upgrade (besides charge). :magical:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Okay, yes. I made a bunch of slips somewhere (like, Tercios with ranged damage :downs:, speed on Mounted Gunners and Bulletproof Samurai) but I guess I'm on the right track. What should the composition of my "main" line be, by the way? Katanas or naginatas?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Alternatively: go download one of the million mods that fix Realm Divide so it's no longer pants-on-head retarded by making it so your the diplomacy hit is a big initial then diminishes, rather than a medium initial that increases. This means your lifelong allies will stay your allies and likely join you in your war to get to the capital, rather than turn against you for no reason.

Can you still get achievements if your campaign is modded?

Llamadeus posted:

I think speed is generally taken on Mounted Gunners since all you do with those is run away and shoot people. You can run both sword and naginata cores with success, but swords are helped a lot if you happen to have the Blade Master retainer (random drop :argh:).

Oh yes, I got that retainer. Naginatas count as spear-armed units, right?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I hope they improve the netcode/data storage for Rome 2. I can't connect to half the non-matchmaking games and I heard rumours of people losing their avatars randomly. :ohdear:

If they manage to do that, I don't care anymore. It's a straight preoder.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Mans posted:

And yeah, Ancient Egypt had a trend of wearing makeup and looking like what we nowadays call effeminate. I'm not sure if it was a high hierarchical thing or throughout the whole of society, nor if it was actually a thing that still existed during sucessor rule.

I thought the make up thing was to avoid the sun's scorching radiance. :sun:

By the way - CA didn't release a beta or anything for Shogun 2, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Okay, there's something weird here - I take the Monomi Spy retainer, the one that buffs Kisho Ninja and makes gates start open in siege battles when you are the one attacking, and when the match actually starts the following stuff happens:

a) Gates close themselves.
b) All arrow towers start to burn.

:stare: