Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Fangz posted:

Yeah I get that aspect, I mean in terms of how it's triggered and can be avoided. Whether you can kite around an enemy general trying to duel you, whether you can disrupt a general slaughtering your archers with a duel request, whether you can cancel out of duels if you do so before your two generals come into contact, whether you can target duelists with AOE weapons, etc.

Duels seem to be whenever/wherever so long as the opponent accepts, which they don’t have to. From what I’ve gathered from interviews characters can refuse duels (no idea if there’s a penalty), disengage and run from a duel they’re losing and interrupt other’s duels, both of which incur a big morale penalty to your troops in that battle and negative campaign traits for being a coward. Honorable characters that unseat their opponent will dismount themselves, whereas more villainous characters will presumably keep trying to goon their opponents with their horse. Honorable characters also don’t kill characters they defeat in a duel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

Angry Lobster posted:

In Romance mode characters do not die permanently, like legendary lords in Warhammer, so we can expect some dudes to become recurring nightmares to fight.

I think all the videos yesterday said that they did even in Romance mode. They’re just much more resilient and won’t suffer random-arrow-in-the-eye syndrome.

Anno
May 10, 2017

From the 3K stream today it looks like Extreme units sizes are a 50% size increase over the old highest? 240 infantry and 60 cav. So that’s something for people who wanted larger battles.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I’d like a game that had spectacular battles and a great campaign, but if I can only choose one I’m going to take dinosaurs riding dinosaurs most of the time. Still there day 1 for 3K if it seems decent though.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I haven't paid too much attention to this until recently and now I'm super taken by these new videos. I didn't really expect to be excited for a non-Warhammer Total War again, but all of this looks really fun. At least from ItalianSpartacus's videos it seems like the factions might be different enough on the campaign layer to keep it varied and interesting even if that doesn't always filter down to the battles.

Plus it just looks really pretty.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Have they mentioned if this game will be similar to/worse than/better than Total Warham for modding? All of the new stuff looks really good just by itself, but could obviously be so much more in the hands of modders. Hopefully the game gets as solid a modding community as TWW has.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Chortles posted:

Unfortunately as far as I know there's no official mention of modding.

I know they mentioned it in the the initial FAQ.

quote:

Will there be modding support from release?

As with previous Total War games, the aim is to have modding using the Assembly Kit, and Steam Workshop support available very shortly after launch.

I was just curious if they'd talked about it since then.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Randarkman posted:

What do we know about performance and requirements? I can run all the latest Total War reasonably well on high graphics settings (somehow I never had many issues running Attila, luck I guess), though I've got pretty long load times due to no SSD (particularly for Warhammer 2), but I've just learned to live with that. Are there any indications this game will be significantly more demanding than any of the recent ones?

The requirements post on Steam are moderately higher than TWW2 for both minimum and recommended. Who knows what that ends up translating to in terms of actual performance. The only video I’ve seen that had very noticeable FPS hits was like 5k men on a huge siege map with lots of flames around, which seems close to worst case scenario.

Another thing TWW3 needs to steal are those loud acknowledgment chants/barks when you order troops around. I love those so much.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Also the AI attacked a stack/garrison where it had to commit to basically a coin flip via the autoresolve which I haven’t seen in a long time in Warhammer.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Koramei posted:

that said that kinda blows, I love those. is there other stuff on the map to fight over?

I saw in one video that holding one of the horse resources allows you to build up a building chain that I don't think gives you any unique units but does give a bunch of good stuff locally including a large amount of cav in your garrison and then -25% upkeep for all cav factionwide, which seems powerful enough to feel good about claiming and holding onto.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Chortles posted:

I believe that it was -10% recruitment cost and -10% upkeep cost; the settlement I saw this in was the Horse Pasture(s) settlement (county?) of Dai commandery, in the vicinity of Gongsun Zan and Zhang Yan's starting positions -- and note that all of the few (three?) locations with the Horses resource are in the north of the playable map.

I think it was -5% per level of the building?

It’s cool though that they’re all in the north of the map. That should also help with some unique feelings campaigns. I wonder if some of their resources are like that.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Looks fun. I like that the AI relocates it’s capital when it declares and that there’s a handful of ways for those titles to change. Should make for some good variety in multiple playthroughs. Also like in this case it can break up larger alliances pretty well.

Anno
May 10, 2017

A new video out talking about one of the DLC factions: https://youtu.be/2k5k0GQH2eM

Looks like a pretty hard start but a cool theme and play style.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Zerkovich did a partial unit roster video when they got the mini preview build a couple of weeks back. I don’t know that it was comprehensive of all the base units, though, and I don’t know that it included any of the faction specific units.

Anno
May 10, 2017

The Yellow Turban stuff seems quite a bit more full featured and expansive than I had assumed it would be.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I auto-resolve probably 80% of my battles, but I really like being able to play one out when I feel like it or it seems like it could be cool. I haven’t played non-Warhammer TW in awhile but this seems similar and they were fine then?

Anno
May 10, 2017

They don’t seem small to me. There’s still 18 slots for units, which is at least as many as I usually have in a Warhammer army by the time you deduct the lord and a hero. Then in records you have three more bodyguard units.

Anno fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 17, 2019

Anno
May 10, 2017

I’ve seen AI armies attack stacks where they had basically a tossup chance or maybe even a bit worse of winning, so maybe they’re just more aggressive anyway. Also the population of your lands progressively buffs your replenishment which I think is a good way to tie the battle and strategy layers together and encourage building strong, well managed provinces.

Anno fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 18, 2019

Anno
May 10, 2017

Fuligin posted:

listened to my main man rob zacny talking about 3K on the waypoint podcast and it's getting me pretty hype

Oh nice I need to get on that. He was positive on it then? Rowan Kaiser seems pretty hyped, and aside from Stellaris I don’t think I’ve ever really disagreed with him on strategy games.

Also that ManyATrueNerd video was very informative and now I too want to try playing a mass-income, buy-all-the-territories Kong Rong campaign.

Anno
May 10, 2017

It being already the most pre-ordered TW game ever is pretty impressive from where we were just a couple months back. Good on Sega for allowing them to delay the game again and on CA for apparently using that time extremely well.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Rome 2 at least spawned an episode of Three Moves Ahead that I’ve listened to dozens of times over the years when I just need something to fall asleep with.

Anno
May 10, 2017

You won’t get stolen keys or something shady from CDKeys but they aren’t official partners either so it’s kinda grey market arbitrage probably.

Anno
May 10, 2017

It’s also 18% off on Fanatical which is an official retailer so should have the DLC guaranteed.

Anno
May 10, 2017

There’s also going to be a bit of back and forth with the sandbox nature of the game. So some units that might be unique to some warlord or area or another will be thrown into the tech tree or certain events or certain commanders or whatever to expand that side of things.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Azran posted:

Best part about buying 3K is that now I can be excited about TW DLC news every three months rather than the six for Warhammer :v:

:same:

I’m sure I get at least close to as much enjoyment out of the run up to a new DLC as I do from the thing itself.

Anno
May 10, 2017

UI seems fine to me? Unpinning whatever they chose to pin to the map by default helped get rid of some of the random icons. I’m sure that’ll be useful for something later but I don’t know what yet.

Also this thing seems absurdly optimized compared to WH2. Load/turn times especially even on my awful slow HDD.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Hentai Jihadist posted:

as far as i can tell you can't transfer units between retinues? it has to be a whole retinue at a time? i assume theres no upgrade/replacement mechanic whereby i can make my spear militia into proper spear warriors?

I think units are loyal to their general and can’t be swapped around to other retinues but can be swapped out for a different unit. It was one of the options that popped up over the top of the retinue when I selected a unit.

Ancillaries seem like good diplomatic bait. After everyone got their follower and animal of choice I’ve just used them to sweeten deals or make some short term profit.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Scott Forstall posted:

His card says Strategic Mastermind? I guess I will just need time to get used to all the details lol

That’s just his little flair title, like Guan Yu is the God of War. Just go by color. Yellow is a commander, blue is a strategist.

Anno
May 10, 2017

The F1 and F2 help options seem way better this time around.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Gamerofthegame posted:

I didn't play long as I do have to actually WORK GEEZ PEOPLE, but has anyone figured out the go-to for sieges in the beginning? I did a couple turns as the tribal governor boi and got pretty bloodied by a local garrison and some walls, mostly by way of the towers mulching the low unit counts.

If you have sufficient supplies I think trying to starve them out is pretty helpful. Even if it just drives them to sally out beyond the walls. Best case they just surrender, and there’s at least one event that can help sabotage the city to make an assault easier.

Anno
May 10, 2017

fuf posted:

For champions it says "best grouped with retinues of spear infantry" but like, why? The champion high authority stat gives him bonus health, but can't see any effect on retinue troops?

I guess Cao Cao is meant to be easy but I just got totally wiped out by Yuan Shu lol

I think it’s because their level up abilities and some unique items for legendary characters tends towards buffing that unit type. But yeah I haven’t been able to find a stat relationship for green units/characters.

Anno
May 10, 2017

The quickdeal diplomacy stuff is really nice. I hope that makes its way into all future games.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Hentai Jihadist posted:

i still havent replaced liu beis starting troops so he's just got a wall of trash that runs in after zhang fei and guan yu kill everyone

e: i like this game I think, some of the stuff I'm not sure on but turn times are the number 1 dealbreaker for me and the turns are fast as hell
also i'm basically dominating every field battle, though seiges are tougher

I think Liu Bei is just particularly strong early on because of his starting army. It has to be the best army on the map at the start of the game.

Anno
May 10, 2017

ninjahedgehog posted:

Picking this up tonight -- how easy would it be, theoretically, to name Guan Yu as the heir to Shu and then get that limpdick Liu Bei killed, giving you the kickass omega-beard God of War as your king instead of some whiner about BENEVOLENCE?

Asking for a friend.

I think that should be pretty easily doable. You might need to get Liu Bei killed a couple times if you’re in romance mode.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Plan Z posted:

Towers are way too vicious in this game. It's my only big gripe.

They are pretty savage. Has anyone tried having a few units of soldiers march at the front in one of the shield block formations to absorb their fire?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Third World Reagan posted:

So what I read, sieges are pretty neat.

If you burn down a gate / tower, you will hurt some buildings there. You can visually see the upgrade buildings in the map and if they burn, they get damaged.

I sieged a town into a turn or two of starvation and when I attacked a tower was destroyed. Not entirely sure those two things are connected but I hope they are. More connection between map and battles is always welcome.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Lmao a Radious overhaul is already out there for people who want even less unit diversity.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I’m still a ways away from the Three Kingdoms period but already the map seems to have divided up into like four significant power blocks, which I think is pretty cool. I’m sure everyone gets betrayed in the end but I’m glad that the AI is willing to buddy up for awhile until then. And AI war targeting seems to work okay?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Pretty sure this is now the mapgame with the highest concurrents ever on Steam, having now (by quite a bit) surpassed Civ VI. Seems like a well deserved success for CA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

Kanos posted:

Yeah unfortunately that's the issue at hand!

My understanding is that you’ll likely have plenty of chances to hire Lu Bu over the course of a campaign.