Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

spaztaz posted:

There isn't a public Youtube channel, but there are workarounds.

I bought a Roku 2 XS recently and I found it strange. Apparently this VideoBuzz thing is the best workaround?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2030126/how-to-add-youtube-to-your-roku-box.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

withak posted:

If you are running Plex then there is a youtube channel you can add through your Plex server also.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'm still messing around with this. There's so many free/private channels that it'll take a while to install and explore them. The only question that remains is how many I can cram onto the unit.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

withak posted:

A new Roku box was just released this month so used previous-generation ones are probably more plentiful than usual right now.

Before I went shopping for a new one I did check eBay for a while and used ones seemed to be selling for too high. I swear they were going for 50-60 dollars. I chose to just pay the extra $20 and get a newer unused one.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Roku just shut down the VideoBuzz channel (the Youtube surrogate). That certainly was short-lived. :argh:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Plex is still useful because its one of the few ways to watch YouTube videos on a Roku.

It's the only way now right? If there is another way I'd like to know because they shut down the VideoBuzz channel.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Speaking of cutting cable, has anyone got a solution for purchasing a replacement for a Comcast modem with VOIP? I don't really want to drop cable at this time, but I looked into dropping the VOIP service and Comcast told me that my bill would actually go up. I would like to get rid of the modem rental fee though - is there a way around this, or am I screwed until I drop everything?

In my area they force customers to lease the VOIP modems.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

That's good. It's strange that I can't get it to install right now. It says my Roku IP address is not valid. I'll try again later.

I have tried the Plex server earlier and it was working okay as a Youtube surrogate.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Mahoning posted:

So I have my cousin's Time Warner login, my moms Directv login, and my sister's Xfinity login. What iOS apps can utilize these? I've already got WatchESPN, HBOGO, and NBCSports Live Extra.

XFINITY Player, XFINITY WiFi and XFINITY TV Remote are three useful ones for Comcast.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

bbcisdabomb posted:

The Roku LT is on sale at Amazon right now, so how is it for SD video? My sister is just getting her own place and doesn't have an HDTV, will the Roku do fine for Netflix and possibly Hulu?

The vast majority of Roku apps fully work on SDTV. The only one I use that has some 720p+ stuff is the NBA gametime app.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Is it possible to get Youtube captions to show through the Roku using the Plex Media Server?
I haven't seen any settings that suggest it's possible but I thought I'd check.

Also, I have a 2 XS so I can't use the official Youtube channel yet. Is it possible to enable captions on the official Youtube channel at this point?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dr.Caligari posted:

Also, with a roku, are there actual channels? As in the way 'traditional' channels are and that I don't have to hand pick every show I want to watch? I unfortunately don't get any OTA channels where I am at and I would like to get something like Retro TV where they just play back to back old shows/movies.

"Nowhere TV" has a lot of streaming news channels that show live content. Some seem to be on all the time and others only come on during the scheduled news hours. I sometimes watch it to see local news from different parts of the country.

"Nowhere Archive" has old programs and movies but it's more of a click and play thing than a select channel and watch live TV thing.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

They recently released the official Youtube app for the Roku 2 line and I'm liking it. The main feature I was wanting was subtitles for foreign media and it's possible now. The text can be toggled to display different colors and sizes too. :waycool:

teagone posted:

Do your parents have smartphones? If so, tell them to install the Roku app which you can use to search via voice or keyboard.

It can also be done using the Youtube app on the smartphone with the Roku itself at this point.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 26, 2014

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Pillowpants posted:

3. Is there anywhere I can actually watch a show live?

There's some apps for the Roku (like Nowhere TV) that have live TV news from all over the US at certain points of the day. Some news channels also have their own streaming apps as well.

Pillowpants posted:

I spend $180 a month on a triple play, cutting cable to make it a double play will end up as $110 a month, but i want to cut the phone pricing more.

You could get a magicjack PLUS for a onetime fee of ~$50 and just have the internet through Comcast. If you had the triple play that means you're phone signal was already backfed through the house most likely so that wouldn't be a hassle to switch over as it would be if you were using POTS.

You may notice a tiny bit of delay on the voice quality but it hasn't been an issue really. Also, the magicjack app makes things more convenient in a way and you can access your voicemails through a smartphone and also make calls as your magicjack # rather than your cellphone.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Magic Jack blows.

In what way? I've heard people say that but I haven't gotten direct answers out of anybody as to why (the people who've said it to me haven't used it).

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

My mother in law has a magic jack. Every time she calls, the call quality is poo poo. It constantly disconnects the call.

Hasn't been my experience at least. Is it a magicjack PLUS? If it's one of those older ones routed through a USB port on an old computer it could be part of the issue. Also, I wonder what kind of ISP and upload speed she has as a slower connection could be an issue too.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yea, the Youtube UI is clunky but I'm usually just watching a playlist so it's not a big deal. And I can use the iPhone Youtube app and control it from there anyway (it's a lot faster to type searches too).

My Roku 2 XS will crash every few months watching Netflix but it's not a huge deal as it saves the spot. Much easier to deal with compared to a scratched DVD at least.

Also, Roku 2 XS has Ethernet/WiFi; Roku 2 XD only has WiFi.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Blue Scream posted:

Am I really going to need 50 mbps (which of course he said I would)? The next step down is 20 mbps and that's $64/month. AT&T is offering a comparable deal (18 mbps) at $45, so I'd like to try some bargaining, if that speed is sufficient. I'm guessing it will be fine but I just wanted to check. Can't wait to cut my bill as much as possible :woop:

No, the 20Mbps is fine if you wanted to save a little. Also, the AT&T is probably 18Mb downstream but with a very paltry upstream.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Gozinbulx posted:

20 Mbps is fine but I pay $60 a month for my 50mbps from Comcast... Where do you live?

I'm in the Chicago area and it's basically the same rate (with a leased modem) that Blue Scream mentioned.

Three Olives posted:

AT&T is probably not 18 unless you live right next to the node with new lines or have fiber to your house, I have never, ever heard of anyone getting close to the advertised U-Verse speeds in most cases. I just switched my dad from DSL to cable and he was getting a little over 1 Mbps instead of the 6 Mbps he had signed up for.

Yea, I guess that's not surprising. I remember there being some class-action lawsuit in the last decade that my parents got a check for because the company was being deceptive about that stuff.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Broadcasters fear falling revenues as viewers switch to on-demand TV
http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/e46dc7a4-b843-11e4-86bb-00144feab7de.html

Jakcson posted:

On a more serious note, is there any particular reason why HDTV and high speed internet access isn't free for everyone that pays taxes in the USA? If we can afford to spend trillions of dollars on things that aren't improving our economy, and quadrillions on nations that end up trying to destroy us, why can't we spend a couple billion on entertaining American Citizens?

If you're looking for logic in any facet of life you came to the wrong planet.

You will pay $200 for TV channels and the right to be inundated and raped by thousands of commercials and you will like it!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is there any good content on El Rey?

If you like 1960s-1980s movies made in Hong Kong it's the premier channel (although they're mostly dubbed).

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The thing that's goofy about HBO, Encore, Starz and a lot of those movie channels is that they're not even broadcasting the movies in the right aspect ratio (they have the top, bottom, right and left chopped off a lot to fill up the whole screen). I wonder if HBO Now will be any different.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bread Set Jettison posted:

So should I just get a Roku1 and pray it doesnt suck or get a Roku2 and an HDMI to AV converter and hope it doesnt explode? Is there a third option I didn't even consider?

A lot of the Roku models have RCA plugs. I have a Roku 2 XS and it'll do both RCA or HDMI.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yea, I'm not even sure if buying a new Roku 1 or an older Roku 2 would offer the better experience. Manufacturers don't make the exact hardware info easy to find.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

All this technical chat reminded me.

Recently Comcast seems to have changed something. For many years we had an HDTV set to the "dot by dot" TV setting so that all SD content would display in 4:3 (so there were always black bars on both sides). But recently all the SD channels are coming out stretched so that a 2.35:1 movie on an SD channel is stretched to the far ends of the TV and looks closer to something like 2.65:1. Obviously the picture is stretched too. And of course the other three TV settings are full screen, zoom and smooth stretch and all distort the picture further.

What's going on here?

Zogo fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 9, 2015

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Panty Saluter posted:

Check to see if there are resolution/aspect options in the cable box. Something may have gotten changed with a box software update. Otherwise Comcast or the channel are stretching all content so they won't have to listen to people grousing about how "thuh picksher dont take up muh whole teevee!!"

I checked all the settings (everything I knew how to at least) and couldn't find anything pertaining to aspect ratio. I think there are some special controller commands that technicians use that may allow more configuration. I'll have to research this. I think you're right that it's some kind of Comcast HD box setting/firmware update that messed with it because the channels do appear fine when using an SD box and an SDTV (and the setting was fine for like five years). The instruction manual is out of date as when I push the buttons to configure the box like I want it doesn't even look anything like the actual menu.

This wouldn't even be an issue if it weren't for the fact that there are still a lot of SD only channels.

I suppose I might *try* to call Comcast tech support but usually it's someone somewhere in Asia that won't know what I'm talking about and might mess with my account settings (this has happened two or three times in the past). Calling tech support is like playing Russian roulette with your account (I'm not being facetious at all).

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

BigFactory posted:

When I had Comcast you had to restart the box holding mute or something to access the secret menu. Google the model of your box for directions.

Yea, I have a Pace RNG110. A lot of the manuals were out of date and didn't correspond to what was actually displayed when I followed the instructions.

The good news is that I finally go it to work by using two Comcast remotes simultaneously (had to turn box off and immediately hit the MENU button on the other remote to get into the deeper settings). The problem was that the remote turns off the cable box, tv and aux in order (without allowing for input while that's going on) and by the time that's happened it's too late for the menu button to register as being hit. No manual, Youtube video or Comcast support forum had anything explaining this issue exactly.

Now I can finally watch SD properly. And the HD zoom button now allows for the proper stretching of a 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 movies. :waycool:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Panty Saluter posted:

Why on Earth would you bury aspect ratio options in a secret menu :psyduck:

Now that it's solved it's pretty funny in hindsight. I ran across a ton of people complaining because they had to use this same method to toggle closed captioning on/off every time they wanted it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

Besides the original programming, from a movie standpoint, how is HBO for streaming? It seems that Netflix, Amazon and Hulu rarely have movies that I want to watch. When I used to have HBO years ago, I'd basically get tired of the same cycle of movies over and over. How good are they with premiering movies these days?

It's okay. My issue with HBO is that they regularly crop 2.39:1 films to fit 16x9 TV screens (1.77:1) so you're basically losing 25% of the visual information. It's the sides so it's usually not crucial info but it irks many.

Netflix and the others do that as well sometimes but HBO does it a LOT.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Tyson Tomko posted:

Not trying to constantly preach Roku 3 and Plex, but it would do a lot of this very cheaply and easily.

Is Roku 4 not worth the extra cost at the moment?

I suppose I'd buy one today due to the future 4K potential but I'm sticking with the 2 for now.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

withak posted:

edit: I had a Roku a long time ago but the UI always felt like it was from 2004. Is it still that clunky?

Are you talking clunky in aesthetic and appearance or clunky in responsiveness?

I've used a Roku 2 XS and 3 fully updated and think they're okay in those regards. The newer ones seem to work faster.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

duodenum posted:

On the subject of spoofing location via DNS to improve online sports services, is that really all it takes?

I'd be willing to pay for NBA League Pass if it didn't black out nationally televised games (which means most of the best games all season and the entire playoffs).

For some reason, I thought it would require a VPN. Vaguely, connecting to the stream through the VPN and then switching the VPN off to improve the data rate. Seemed like a lot of hassle and not quite a sure-thing solution for me to risk $150. I've also heard about using a proxy. Now DNS might also be a solution?

Do any of you have experience signing up for NBA League Pass International? How would you suggest I do it for this next year?

You can ask this in the NBA N/V thread in SAS. There are people there that do this kind of thing and would know the exact details.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Q_res posted:

Is the Roku 2 still worthwhile? Just wondering since Sling is offering a free one when you get 3 months of service prepaid. I was underwhelmed with Sling when I used the app on my PC...

I still use one. The one drawback for me is that it doesn't do 4K.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Anyone know of Roku 2s have known problems with buffering? Ours has to load at least once overt ten minutes with MLBtv but my wife's tablet streams it no problem. Sane network both wireless sane time of day etc. we tested it tonight one after the other with the sane stream. Roku buffet buffet buffet, iPad worked fine, back to roku for buffet fun.

It's getting old so I'm open to it being dying hardware.

I have an older Roku 2XS and I haven't had that issue (although I don't use MLB.TV).

If it's at all possible I'd try connecting it wired temporarily and seeing if that issue continues. That would narrow it down at least.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Tyson Tomko posted:

So I bought a late model Roku 2 for use on a CRT since it's the last one to still have composite out. Let me just say, using a device like this on a CRT is cool as poo poo and feels futuristic.

99% of the reasons I have the TV are for gaming and light gun reasons but figured why not slap something on there so it can watch Netflix/Hulu/Plex too, that's also ultra easy to operate. It was well worth the $15 I paid and I'm going to use the crap of this.

Yea, there is something funny and anachronistic about watching Youtube and other stuff on an ancient CRT. It's like retrofitting new parts onto an ancient car.

The only bad part is when the TV has overscan and chops off the far edges of the GUI in certain apps.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

https://youtu.be/XHFuKE6Hdzg?t=45s

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I have a Roku 2 XS and it works fine for days using any app except lately if an ad shows up on Youtube there's a ~20-25% chance that it freezes and reboots. I've checked around and these ghastly Youtube ads are doing the same thing for other 2 XS users. Is there anything to block ads on the Roku? I kind of doubt it but I thought I'd check.

I have a feeling the only solution it to smash this thing with a sledgehammer and buy a Roku Ultra.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Youtube Red would probably work.

Yes, I have done a cost-benefit analysis and roughly one year of YouTube Red would cost the same as purchasing a Roku Ultra.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

But then you'd still have ads.

I don't mind the ads too much. Most of them you can click away within a few seconds. Much easier than having to watch the Roku freeze and sit there five minutes while it reboots.

I'm usually watching longer videos anyway so at worst it's a thirty or sixty second ad for a long block of video. The content to ad ratio is off the charts compared to basic TV with 33% of an hour being commercials these days.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

IuniusBrutus posted:

I have a Roku Premiere+ and the YouTube app is a giant buggy piece of poo poo. This is one of my two primary methods of media consumption so this is unacceptable. Googling indicates that I am not the only one with the issue. Has anyone else had this issue and managed to fix it? If not, am I stuck going to an Apple TV?

I have an older Roku 2 XS and YouTube worked flawlessly for a few years but once YouTube/Alphabet (Google) started pumping out more and more awful/ghastly ads it started crashing/freezing reliably every single day.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

astral posted:

Several years ago, I bought a relative a Roku 2 (2013 model) and they complained (and I confirmed) that it was uncomfortably hot to the touch whether it was in use or not. Reviews suggested that was pretty common, so the 'solution' was to plug it into a power strip that is switched off when not in use.

I've also seen people drill holes into their Roku to allow it to ventilate better. Supposedly it gives better performance but I don't feel like mutilating mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Roku has put out different versions of Roku 2 so it depends how new it is.

I have 3 Roku 3s in my house and they handle all the apps just fine. I don't think there's a reason to upgrade from the 2 until 4k content is ubiquitous.

Yea, I'd just ask her if YouTube crashes/reboots the Roku a lot. The older 2 models (despite the newer OS and latest YT version) still crash a decent amount. Whereas, a few years back they never did.