Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

RZA Encryption posted:

I've noticed this on other channels with other shows. It's so they can fit in more commercials. Not specific to DTV Now, that I'm aware of.

It's not, but I haven't had cable tv in years so I haven't seen it first hand until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Revamped DTVNow app will launch in the spring, plus they're adding a stream to their packages to make it 3 streams total.

Would someone with DTVNow try something for me? I can't login to the Paramount Network app or site with my credentials. It says my subscription doesn't include the channel. I know for a fact it does since the channel is included with even the cheapest DTV Now package. Can someone try logging in with their credentials and report back?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

IAmKale posted:

Were any of these cable alternatives effective ways of watching the Super Bowl today? If so, were there any oddities like sudden content blackouts? I'm taking notes for next year.

NBC Sports streamed it for free with no login required. It was fine. They didn't (couldn't?) air some of the ads but that was about it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I wonder what the hold up is. It was supposed to be out this winter. Now they're saying spring, but no firm date.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

phosdex posted:

So what is DTV Now doing right that keeps you guys using it? A dvr function for me is a must, YTTV has got the best dvr it seems (although 9 month max could be problematic for some). But the ui isn't very good overall.

If you have an ATT cell plan, you get a hefty discount on it. The TV provider login covers a lot of stuff (pretty much everything except for Turner owned stations)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Has anyone had success with Directv Now's record feature ? I recorded some things over the past few days and the playback has issues. It seems to stutter and skip a second here and there.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

This means that certain sports channels are now available to my brother but when I try to watch baseball or college football it says that he is not authorized to watch that content.

Has anyone heard of this or have a thought to solve it?

Do you live in the same area as your brother? I think what's happening is that your brother lives in an area that has access to a particular sports channel, but you don't. So you have the channel because its on his account but when YOU go to watch it, the location check says, "Hey you're not in the right region for this channel," and it won't load.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

poe meater posted:

I'm trying to buy a streaming device for my parents. What do you guys recommend? They need to use Amazon video, YouTube, and a browser. They would be using a standard 1080p tv.

Does anyone still make webtv ?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

3. My biggest interest would be NFL games. What services are available for those?

Do you live in your team's market? DirecTV Now will get you Fox Sports Go which will cover NFC games and Thursday Night Football. You also get ESPN for MNF, and NBC Sports for SNF. If your team (and you're in their market) is AFC, you might want to get CBS' streaming service so you get those games.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What streaming device do you recommend? Is there a DVR option for local TV?

Yeah I live near DC. Of course Washington football being what it is losing out on local games might not be a huge loss...

Device? All I have is an Apple TV so I can't really speak for others. The ATV is pretty easy to use and whatever service you want to use will have an app 99% of the time.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Their ad breaks suck though, I really wish they offered a paid tier.

Viacom just acquired Pluto, so I think your wish will be granted in monkeys paw fashion.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I'm so glad my DTV Now plan is still being grandfathered in. Even after the price the hike it's only 35 bucks after my ATT discount. Makes it seem like the bargain of the century.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

drat. That's a strong lineup of old, new, and original content. The Mandalorian thing is at launch too, which is a no brainer for them.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

Disney is trying to be the streaming service people who only have one OTT streaming service use and I don't think Netflix's pile of bad standup specials, middling movies, and indistinguishable original series is going to stop them.

It's got to be scary knowing the people coming for you know what they're doing.

I barely watch Netflix these days. Most of their original stuff does not appeal to me at all. poo poo, I watch CBS All Access more than it right now.

Proteus Jones posted:

The thing that kills me is that Disney loving *owns* ESPN. Why can't they offer a full ESPN streaming package. Hell, I'd pay for it separately and a bit more too. Instead we get ESPN+ which is good I guess if you're fans of the sports it carries which is 3rd tier colleges, tennis and soccer it looks like (although if you're a soccer fan, it looks fantastic).

ESPN is in the shitter right now and everyone knows it. I suspect they have something in the works for ESPN streaming. As soon as it becomes more profitable to go that route than compared to what they make from cable companies, they'll pull the trigger. I hate talking about megacorporations in this way, but it's clear to me Disney knows what they're doing with all this streaming service poo poo.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 12, 2019

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Astro7x posted:

Could they be waiting for contracts for content to expire with other streaming providers? Kind of pointless to launch the service when I can still view all of the recent and relevant stuff on Netflix.

It's this. Plus there's probably some loose ends to tie up with the Fox acquisition.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Try googling ‘Comcast rate card’ any maybe your ZIP.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I wonder if those Beavis and Butthead episodes will have the music videos.

Which reminds me, why are they not launching an 80's/90's music video channel on Pluto. Seems like a no-brainer.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Minidust posted:

Not sure when it happened, but they've added a few Actual Music Video channels now too: "MTV Spankin' New," "MTV Yo!" and "MTV Biggest Pop."

I dig it! I know there's YouTube, but something about music videos in a live feed format has always appealed to me.

Finally. I don't know why they didn't do this from the beginning of their Pluto acquisition.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If anyone is interested in Disney+ if you signed up for even a free D23 membership, they're offering a deal. 3-year Disney+ sub for the price of a 2-year. Not sure if they'll do it for new sign ups.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

How much is that?

They ding you for $140 which works out to $3.89 per month over the 3 years.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Hey guys. I got some coupon codes for Disney+ in the mail. It's two offers, neither as good as the one from a couple weeks ago. But if you missed on that one and want to save a few bucks, here you go:

3 year sub for $169.99 (4.73 per month)
2 year sub for $119.99 ($5.00 per month)

Now here's the catch, according to the offer, you have to pay for it with a Disney Visa Card, but you may as well give it a shot just in case it doesn't really care. PM me if you want a code to try

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I wish these services (in this case YoutubeTV) offered a free trial for around a month. I need more time to use all of the features (especially DVR) in a natural fashion. The one week always seems to go by so quickly and I never feel like that I got to really see everything.

Youtube just had a 3 week trial.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I was using Youtube TV for a couple months but I canceled and just subbed for Hulu w/Live TV. There's drawbacks of course, but it's cheaper and it works for me. I'm keeping it just for football season so I can live with it for a few more months.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I know for myself it came down to Youtube TV and Hulu.

Youtube TV is $50 a month. You get unlimited DVR and you can do family sharing with it

Hulu is $45 a month. At that price you do up to two simultaneous streams, 50 hours of DVR, and the regular Hulu content.

They both have a pretty similar channel lineup, although Hulu does not have AMC for some reason, which might be a dealbreaker for a lot of people.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Has anyone run into issues getting their TV Provider login (Youtube TV specifically) to work with NBC Universal sites and apps?

I can watch Sunday Night Football on the YTTV site or app on my NBC station, but I get an authorization error if I try to watch it through the NBC Sports app or site.

Same thing with MSNBC. YTTV, no problem, but it when I try the MSNBC app or site, I get authorization errors as if my provider login isn't authorized for it.

edit: Interesting. Sorta fixed it. I live in the middle of two markets. In YTTV, I picked the more local one. However, NBC Sports thought I was in the other market, so it was causing an issue with live NBC content. I changed my YTTV to the other one, and it works. Still working on MSNBC.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 11, 2019

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Signed up for Disney Plus and I have tried it on all of our roku TVs but it will not actually play anything. It says that there is no internet connection or that something went wrong.

However, it is playing just fine on our IPad.

Anyone else having the same or similar issue?

Yeah a poo poo ton of people are all trying to watch The Mandalorian right now causing issues. It will be like this for a couple days.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I guess I'll ask this here as it's a tech oriented question:

On Disney Plus is there a way to do Dolby Vision / HDR on a web browser on a computer?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Minidust posted:

Are there typically free streams of the network New Year's Eve specials? I'd rather not renew Vue in two days, and switch to Sling, but my area doesn't get local channels for the latter. I've been racking my brain for local TV that I'd actually miss, and watching the ball drop was all I could really think of.

Check out Locast.

It's available in certain cities and if you're not in one of those cities, there's ways to make your browser think it is.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

So here's a weird question that I can't find any info on.

I was watching YTTV on my laptop (MacOS) with Chrome, and I got a thing come up on the page that asked if I wanted to install the YTTV app on my computer. I installed it. It's just a Chrome app that opens an instance of Chrome and goes right to YTTV. It behaves like an app. I dragged it to my applications folder and it works as advertised.

For some reason, I'm not getting that same prompt to install it on my other MacOS computers. I copied the app to the other computers and it doesn't work on them. There's probably some other file it needs, but whatever.

What I really want to know is if there's a link or page I can go to for this app. I've googled the hell out of it and I can't find anything.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

phosdex posted:

Do those other Macs have Chrome installed? If you look in the Chrome main menu, there should be an option "Install Youtube TV".

I use Chrome for YTTV on all of the devices. Didn't see it anywhere.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

It’s not malware. It wasn’t a popup. It was in the YTTV page itself. I’m not that dumb.

It’s technically a chrome app. I googled around and some people on Reddit said it is a thing but no one has info on how to install it except for when the page mentions it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

withak posted:

Chrome “apps” are just fancy shortcuts to web pages.

Right and that's why I can't figure out why copying it to another computer didn't work.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

XBenedict posted:

MLB.TV helps nothing when it comes to local games.

There's cheap and easy ways around that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

It anyone really cares you can sign up for HBO Max for 12.99 a month for a limited time (You get that price for a year).

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/559643

I wish I knew how it was going to work. I’m subscribed to HBO through Apple (since the PQ is significantly better and I can download shows) so I have no idea if that comes with Max content.

I’m incredibly hesitant to sub directly through HBO since the NOW app is hot loving garbage so I have like no faith in the new app.

https://www.hbomax.com/faq/#howtoget

"HBO NOW subscribers who are billed through Apple or Google Play will also get instant access to HBO Max at launch (at no extra cost). Check back with us here as we add additional partners to the list."

Looks like you're ok.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I'm sure because that's zero channels I want that I won't have to pay more, correct?

That's the first thing I thought. "When is the price hike coming"

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I wonder how much AT&T will try keep me as a TV customer when I call in the next few weeks to go fiber internet only. I only took their TV package as it was decently discounted and I got all my local hockey games without having to deal with anything. Now there is no sport, and nothing to watch there's definitely no reason for me to keep it. Antenna for locals into my HDHR, and hockey through NHL and my DNS poo poo will give me all I need and will pay for itself in a few months.

Call and find out. It's all you can do. I see stories posted here where the provider bent over backwards to keep a customer and there's been stories where the provider says, "Well just cancel then." These are in places where there's competition and places where there is not.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The American Dream posted:

I cancelled my spectrum package that had 10 channels of my choosing for $23 and starz, hbo, showtime and cinemax for an extra $20 last week when I saw my 2 years was up and the price doubled. They didn't try to change my mind, just cancelled it after spending 20 minutes on hold waiting for an operator.

Yesterday they called and offered me 60 channels for 7 days free, $8 for the first 30 days and $12 forever after that. The guy said yes to having tcm, tnt and nbc sports but I couldnt see a list unless I agreed to the 7 day trial. The entire package is viacom/paramount channels, AMC channels, a and e and discovery networks. So I guess I'll spend the week catching up on Bar Rescue from the last couple years and cancel next monday.

I'm on Spectrum. That first package you mentioned (I can't remember the name) would be perfect for me but it's not available in my market for some reason. The other one you mentioned is a newer one. It's not the worst deal around but it doesn't have locals which is a bummer for me.

I've been happy with YTTV but I'd probably cancel when/if they hike the price after those new Viacom channels get added.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

savesthedayrocks posted:

Just logged into the Amazon app to finish Season 1 of Sopranos....fuuuuuuuuuu

I guess that’s what I get for procrastinating.

I would pay the $15 to finish it. I'd say HBO has enough content in their back catalog you could sub for a couple months and watch tons of AAA top tier amazing stuff.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I'm not going to defend them because gently caress AT&T but a lot of that stuff might be tied up in existing agreements, similar to some things that weren't on Disney+ at launch. Some of the things you mentioned aren't TimeWarner properties. Like American Dad is Fox/Disney (it's all on Hulu) and TW has what are basically re-runs on their networks.

I'm not sure about stuff on DCU. There could be some sort of legal fuckery there.

It's free for me and I've been watching Space Ghost Coast to Coast all morning, so I can't complain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Any idea when YTTV gets those Viacom channels?