Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Parlett316 posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/15/3506030/fcc-allows-basic-cable-encryption-protects-consumers-open-access

FCC is allowing cable companies to encrypt OTA channels.

Bad news. Soon you won't be able to just have the basic cable package without having to rent equipment to get OTA signals. :sigh: I really didn't want to get a 8' antenna on my roof so I can get one channel.

I've read the decision a few times and still don't understand their rationale in how this is fair to consumers. I thought the one of the main reasons behind FCC carrier licensing was ensuring free and fair access to public broadcast content. How does encrypting it help anyone but cable companies?

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Some goon wrote a little program called SoundSwap awhile ago but Google is failing me on trying to find it. It would basically let you bind it to a keystroke or action. I've also done the same thing in Eventghost before.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
My girlfriend cut the cable this year but she wants the Olympics. The only thing is that she wants it on the TV and doesn't want to watch it on the laptop. Are there any options other than cable for this that aren't :filez: territory? I go to the bars or a friends house for sports and don't watch the Olympics so I'm not sure if there is a Roku channel or something for this.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Maneki Neko posted:

I'm assuming you're in the US? Without a cable TV login and the ability to hook a PC up to the TV, you are a kidn of out of luck.

http://mashable.com/2014/01/08/winter-olympics-2014-online/

Can you just hook up an antenna and pick up your local NBC affiliate?

We're in Canada and rabbit ears are a no go unfortunately, she's in this weird valley and needs a retardedly powerful antenna to get anything.

I can hook a PC up to the TV though but I thought there were stupid time limits on streaming and etc.

Hmm she does have unblock-us for Netflix so maybe that would work with the BBC thing in your link, I'll have to check that out thanks.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 20, 2014

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

She should get together with some of her neighbors and rent space on a local broadcast antenna on a nearby hill. Install the antenna there, then have cables run to the houses (might be pricey but it's a long term solution) et voilá! Reception for all.

She's near a conservation area so that's impossible unfortunately, the conservation authority barely lets people put an extension on their homes.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

There are fairly cheap powered antennas that advertise a 60 mile range, but a Leaf is what it is.

Oh? I've been looking at some locally but a few of the shops want like $500 for them.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Be interesting to see what interface the Nexus player uses. I want something like those AndroidTV/Google Fibre boxes that lets you search and it just finds it across all apps/storage/etc.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bass Bottles posted:

It really confuses me how angry people get about Hulu because it's not a Netflix clone. Advertisements are the price of getting episodes as they air rather than a year later. And there are still way fewer of them than on the much-more-expensive cable.

Besides, don't you have a smartphone? Commercials are your chance to refresh the Awful Forums App! Or whatever! Chillax!!

I don't like commercials and I don't want to see them on any service. If that means paying more for the service then I'm ok with that. I would rather have all of those bits of my life back to either watch more things I like or heck even do something productive as opposed to absorbing poo poo about insurance, body spray or diet pills.

I think you confuse annoyance with anger by the way. Commercials don't make me angry, I just don't like them and unlike prior years where TV was the only option at least I can do something about it now.

The business side of producing content is another persons problem. I understand the difficulties the content industry is facing but I don't work there, I'm just a consumer and I know what I like and what I don't.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 3, 2015

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bass Bottles posted:

It's obviously fine to not like advertisements but some people seem REALLY ANGRY that Hulu isn't Netflix. I just don't see the purpose in creating another Netflix competitor when they all have the same content anyway. Hulu does something different and gives you another option.

I don't watch all that much TV anyway so I don't mind a few extra minutes to browse the internet while catching up on current episodes. If I weren't looking at my phone while ignoring commercials I'd probably just be looking at my phone anyway.

I don't see anyone that worked up about it. What differentiates services is content and features. Advertisements are not content or features to me. I don't know how Hulu lacking them in any way lessens it or makes it a Netflix clone. Considering its owned by all of the content companies themselves, I suspect it will find a way to license its content and survive even if this ad free tier takes off in popularity.

You spoke about options, that's what the ad free tier is. I don't see the problem if you're all about options. If you don't mind ads then fair enough but other people might feel differently.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

What will likely happen is carriage fees will rise again. That's why you see MSOs get into pissing contests with content providers and channels dropped for periods of time. So, you'll have cable people subsidize the streaming side. That will only work for so long though.

That's already been happening up in Canada and I can't get worked up over it. The upward trajectory of cable bills over the years is a significant factor in the popularity of streaming services. Not the sole one by any means but economic conditions have lead to reduced discretionary spending and a fat cable bill is an easy target. Despite that fees have been continually hiked, up here anyway. I have every confidence the industry (content & carriers) will find a way through it and I'm sure they will do their best to pass the costs onto me. The music industry survived some rather absurd suicide attempts and worse conditions.

That whole business model is going through a major restructuring over the next five years but that's not my problem to solve nor am I capable. I just like to watch TV shows and I don't like ads. If ad free stuff continues to proliferate then we'll probably see less shows made or more expensive internet. I'm ok with that as long as it all balances out fairly, there's a content glut right now anyway.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bass Bottles posted:

Hulu would become a Netflix clone if they decided to make you wait a full year for new episodes. That would be the necessary trade-off to remove ads AND keep the subscription fee at $8/mo. The idea that they could still offer exactly what they do now, but for $8 is dumb and unrealistic. It's like when people complain about movies leaving Netflix as if paying a subscription fee means you own the entire Netflix library, and they're stealing from you.

I don't know why $8 is dumb but $11 is seen as fine but fair enough. I haven't done any research on the financial side of this nor do I care to. The armchair analyst stuff is fun when its light but when it gets into cost analysis I kind of tune out, especially considering I doubt anyone here is looking at financial statements and trying to break it down. Anyways I never argued Hulu would become a back catalog service nor do I think they need to offer the ad free tier for the same price as the regular subscription. For better or for worse its subsidized by ads so in that context it makes sense that it costs a bit more not to have them.

quote:

Also the "Hulu is owned by the money-gouging Networks" stuff is overblown considering how licensing works, and how many shows fail every year. If things were that good for Hulu you'd think they'd be able to afford better original programming than garbage like The Awesomes.

You misunderstand. I think Hulu is kept on a short leash on purpose which has not exactly helped it compete and its easy to understand why when you look at who owns it. That being said the industry was smart enough to back off selling Hulu and I think that as the business model shifts they will start to embrace it more. I think the ad free tier is a good example of that.

People have options now which is what matters IMO and more competition is always good for the consumer. If the ad free thing attracts some Netflix users and gets them to up their game a bit more that's fine with me.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

quote:

Netflix recently gave up a big catalog to Hulu of netflix-esque movies like Hunger Games and Transformers to focus on becoming an exclusive content producer/distributor like HBO; I'd argue that Hulu is trending more "netflix" than Netflix is these days. In ten years, being a 2009-era "netflix" is going to be a race-to-the-bottom commodity market as storage and bandwith just gets cheaper, and HBO/Netflix/Amazon Prime/Showtime/AMC is going to be where any actual profit is to still be had.

Hadlock hosed around with this message at Sep 3, 2015 around 13:05

I agree Hadlock. It doesn't seem like a sustainable model with all of the consolidation thats happened inside of the content industry, they have too much leverage over streaming providers and a vested interest for those licensing costs to rise. In 2009 it cost Netflix 50 million to license its entire content library. In 2013 it was up to 2 billion. In 2014 it was up to 3 billion in just a year. Netflix has some pretty smart people there and I'm sure they saw the writing on the wall. The most optimistic user growth stats couldn't keep up with the licensing costs. It's actually cheaper for them to produce original content at this point and as a bonus original content tends to be a major factor in attracting new users.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

tonic posted:

Really? I have both the Fire TV (non 4k) and the Roku 3. I much much prefer the Roku 3. It feels much faster to me. The hardware buttons for Hulu/Netflix are awesome whereas the FireTV feels like it takes ages to navigate menus to find the app I want. Also the updated Plex app on Roku is 1000x better than the crap on the FireTV. Finally, I love the headphone port on the remote on the Roku 3.

Bought the FireTV for my main TV thinking it would be a big improvement, but I will probably end up selling it any trying out the new AppleTV (assuming a Plex app is available).

To each his own I guess but I found your comment kind of confusing. You hit the home button and all of your frequently used apps at right at the top on the FireTV. I don't know why you would need to navigate around the menus and even if you did the FireTV is snappy and responsive. You can also Favorite things for even easier access. Heck you can also voice search for things if you fancy that stuff, it works very well. It's not as convenient as a hardware button for sure but its not cumbersome by any means. The updated Plex app is out on the FireTV as well, it just took a bit longer for Plex to port it. The headphone port thing I get though.

They're both good devices to own and I like the Roku 3 just by virtue of having NHL GameCenter. I do like the FireTVs ability to run sideloaded apps in addition to the usual streaming stuff though.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 6, 2015

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Is that lip service to appease content holders or for real? I'm using a DNS redirector now which works out well. I don't know how they would detect VPN use. I pay for a US Netflix account in US dollars, I should be able to watch it wherever the gently caress I want.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ixian posted:

I don't disagree with you but that's not how it works, and technically under the TOS you pay to watch content where they want you to.

Fair enough. Under my terms of service they make me happy or I move my dollars elsewhere :)

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

usenet + kodi solves most (all?) of the problems talked about on this page while introducing a smaller and less vexing (for technically proficient people) number of problems

just sayin

Doesn't work for reliable sports, many women's shows, silly annual shows and so on. I love Kodi + Usenet but we still have to supplement it with stuff occasionally. Thankfully its really easy finding streams you can Chromecast these days.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

I have used Kodi and it is a pain in the rear end to sideload and operate on the FireTV. Plex works nicely when it feels like working. However as poor as the interface was, nothing was better than the WDTV. Nothing just worked every time. It couldn't do anything else, but what it did, it did flawlessly.

I just install Firestarter on FireTV devices and click "Install Kodi" for me. Operating it is as easy as another platform in my experience, I use a Harmony so I had to make a few tweaks but other than that it runs very well.

I never have an issue operating Plex either and haven't really experienced any major issues with the app. Sometimes when the server needs an update/restart it will disconnect, that's about it. I'm transitioning away from Plex to Emby though since it lets me run Kodi (I like the customization and library sorting options more) while still offering a centralized library and transcoding stuff for my GF and her myriad of devices.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

Nick Burns uses Usenet and hates Plex for reasons that he struggles to explain without using the word "Anime."

Remember when this thread was about how to live without cable and not about how to cancel cable and pirate all the content you want?

All of that content on peoples Plex libraries is totally the CNet Channel.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's like Sickbeard, not Sab. It finds stuff on indexers and passes it to a download client of your choice (Sab or nzbget basically). It also has torrent support. There's a big Usenet thread in SHSC if you want more info.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
If I was going the Synology route at home that would be pretty cool. Just get a -j model and who cares if it can transcode or not because the Shield would handle it. Not sure how many streams or what bitrate it can handle but it can't be worse than the Synology CPUs in the consumer line.

I already have a custom built NAS but at least I can tell my brother or a friend to just pickup something easy then configure it for them.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Croatoan posted:

Hell I'm waiting for a Logitech remote that'll control RF (my Roku and my PS3), bluetooth (my Amazon Fire) and everything else I have in my house (IR). This unicorn of monstrous proportions would probably for for $500+ however.

FWIW my Harmony Smart Control does this already and it was $99 when I bought it.

My pet peeve is that it doesn't power up my PS4 but that's due to Sony not allowing third party devices access to it. They let them power it down, just not up. Go loving figure, thanks Sony. You have to reach for a controller to turn it on which kind of defeats the purpose if you want to simply use a remote and launch some streaming apps. The real kicker is that they allow their official first party remote to do it.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 6, 2016

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Croatoan posted:

I'll be damned. Thanks man! So the PS4 is even worse to control than the PS3? Mine does fine but I got one of the discontinued IR hub things that plugs into the PS3 for the way over priced amount of $50.96.

It basically registers itself as a bluetooth keyboard to the PS4. It works fine but like I said, it can't power up the PS4 which is loving stupid. I hope Logitech just says gently caress you to Sony and mimics the calls from their official remote but I suspect nothing will happen because they're busy enough adding support for other poo poo all the time.

It controls the Xbox One, Shield and all of my other poo poo perfectly though.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
You would need the bluetooth poweron command being sent by the official remote, not something you or I could implement with their software. I bet Logitech doesn't bother, they already have rudimentary support and they probably don't want to piss off Sony. Very frustrating because the Bone functions perfectly as a media player with the hub. Oh well, I try to keep a controller handy but Sony doesn't make that easy either, it feels like the PS4 controllers didn't run dry after being used for an hour. Anyways /derail.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Better question, people really want to watch award shows?

Women love awards shows man. Between my GF and women in extended family its the most requested thing I get for my Plex server.

Also dancing and Bachelor type shows.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fuzz posted:

I still don't see the point in a Shield TV over something like a Roku, unless you have a really lovely PC that can't run relatively recent games. Then again, it doesn't cost that much to make a PC that's more than adequate enough to play all the games the Shield can, plus be an actual, you know, computer. :shrug:

The games are a tertiary benefit. It's just a great STB for streaming and local playback. It supports pretty much everything, is continually updated by Nvidia and is very stable/powerful. I also use it for emulation and it does everything up the PSX/N64 very well, I haven't tried any newer platforms. I went through an HTPC, a Roku and other silly combos before finally getting a Shield and its pretty much the perfect 10 foot interface STB. Harmony controls it perfectly, uses little power and with the little voice addon soon I won't even need to reach for the controller to voice search.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
What's really weird is when I got home last night, I had the new Shield update on my 2015 Shield. The Netflix app was in the bottom row, I had the Prime app and they had reorganized a few other things under a Shield Hub thing. My recommendations row wouldn't pop up so I rebooted the box. When I rebooted it reverted to the older firmware, just Nvidia teasing me apparently. I assume they were rolling it out, found something then reverted it, I didn't know they had the ability to do that remotely though.

Anyways a post on the forums said its coming officially sometime next week.

quote:

Casting

Yeah I forgot to mention that. My GF uses it all the time for Youtube and loves it. The Youtube app for Android TV runs very well on the Shield, much better than Roku.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 17, 2017

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
The new Shield update is pretty cool. I can finally put Netflix in the apps row and the Nvidia row of stuff is in my Games section with my emulators and other crap. With Amazon Video, Netflix, Plex/Kodi and the NFL app I've now got everything I need in an STB, very happy with my setup.

I will look into OTA stuff if my girlfriend complains about missing her wedding shows but for now I can finally just kick back and enjoy having way too much content and not enough time to watch it.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

Comcast's is like 1 TB per month, which isn't an unreasonably small amount, though even normies could burn through that without too terribly much trouble.

I'm sure they will start shifting that number downwards soon to maximize profit. That's how it started up here, oh look a cap, who cares its so large it doesn't matter.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

RZA Encryption posted:

Interesting, but I'd still be passing my metadata through a third party, and I still think I should be able to do it in a more normal way.

You can selectively route only certain sites/traffic through it though and just use your normal DNS for everything else. I only route NFL/Netflix through a similar thing. A few easily googled DNSMasq entries on your router and you're good to go.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

RZA Encryption posted:

Yes, this is possible, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Ok well good luck. I just want to watch football so I'm going bite the bullet :)

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
For the record I'm using the Shield TV with the Prime app with no issues, I'm using the Shield TV profile. Manufacturer Nvidia, device Shield TV. I re-added it awhile ago once they put BT support.

The alternative is a Flirc which is something that would probably work fine too.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fuzz posted:

I seem to be the only person with the Ultra in this thread, but yeah... It has a different OS from the other models and does 4K HDR just fine via Plex for me, which honestly covers the whole "it can't cast" limitation for me.

I get that Roku apparently molested some of you as children, and the Shield is by far a more powerful and overall better system, that's not really a question, but for the price point, availability of every service, speed of use, and the notification channel plus a remote you can just plug headphones into and wander around with because it's Bluetooth... Yeah. I seriously do not understand the goon hate.

HBO Go has a mediocre interface, but DTVNow is excellent and you can watch Amazon and Hulu really easily. Plex, Kodi, and Emby all work on it out of the box. It has a loving obscene number of channels, including a whole pile of hidden ones, some of which are cool, like the Hammer films one or 10 different cooking networks based on the specific type of food you want to learn to cook.

It's a Good Device. Check it out.

I wouldn't really call it hate, they've just really let the platform stagnate for awhile now. Up here the Ultra is nearly the same price as the Shield TV and frankly a lot of the apps are balls. I would also note that while Plex and Emby have apps for the platform but last time I checked Kodi had no official app/channel and was only supported through some screen mirroring cast workaround. Not something I would want to rely on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Auron posted:

Yeah I guess the only thing I'm missing right now is Kodi and a Google Play app that plays 4K, as the TV app does not and only has two channel audio, and the Xbox only plays through Youtube which I also don't believe supports 4k purchases through the store and only 2 channel audio (correct me if I'm wrong)? Another fire stick would solve the Kodi issue for much cheaper, but still missing Google Play then and I don't like having a million boxes laying around.

Just get the Shield, its a fantastic performer and the app ecosystem is pretty good. The only time the Xbox One S in my house gets turned on is when my girlfriend watches some of her old movies, its the only disc player left.