Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

Swagger Dagger posted:

I hate to totally necro this thread, but have people been getting their first shipments?

Mine came today and it's missing a good half the models that were supposed to be in it, and I don't know if that was the fault of Mantic or US customs.

It depends on if the models that you've not gotten yet are the ones they've not made yet, I got my rulebook, dice, and wound counters, but I won't be seeing any of my models until first-third quarter 2013 because it's all the stuff they're sculpting right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I'm eagerly awaiting the goods from the Kings of War Kickstarter and will be having a gay old time on eBay, especially seeing as some of the products won't even be out yet for the general public by the time the backers get their stuff. . . .

I think Mantic have really cornered the market for "models that are totally not suitable for GW games, not at all. . ." with some of their armies. Undead being a great example: their skeletons are actually wearing armour for one thing! That, and I got 240 of them for just about £100, that's a great deal!

Their most recent kickstarter might have piqued my interest, but I'm just too drat skint to afford to back more things at the moment. That plague lord is drat awesome though.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

That's a ridiculously reasonable price! :v:

I may well throw some cash at them then, those Plague models look pretty funky, and the Kickstarter will still be running when my birthday comes up, so I may well be able to afford to throw something their way after all.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Actually, looking at that kickstarter, and their warpath range in general, I'm starting to think that their corporation and enforcer models would make better Imperial Guard troops than what GW is selling. . . .

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

So, I have a friend who's interested in some Space Dwarves, and I quite like the look of the Enforcers, so we're thinking of splitting an Operation Heracles set, but I've noticed that the models in the "Regular" and the "Mega" are a bit different (i.e. there are some models in the regular one that don't appear in the mega.)

Would it make sense for us to pick up one regular, one mega, and split the models, tokens, and books?

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/warpath/product/warpath-operation-heracles-two-player-battle-set.html

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/warpath/army-deals/product/warpath-operation-heracles-two-player-mega-battle-set.html

Links for comparison.

Also, the rules in the Operation Heracles set say they're "dual Warpath and Firefight" rules: that's everything we'd need to play both forms of the game, right?

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

The included rules cover both versions of the game I believe but they're still condensed. You'd want to get one or both full rule books.

Condensed how? missing fluff, or are they basic rules without the full army lists or something like that?

NTRabbit posted:

Buying one of each and splitting will definitely give you a good selection of options to build with your basic troops, plus some heavy and light units, and a little walker and vehicle action. Regular points value for games of Firefight is about 1250, I think the two boxes give something like 1600 points each without getting fancy?

So we'd be fully equipped to play at the standard level with options, that sounds good.

Xarlaxas fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 15, 2017

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Interesting, so, either way, I'd likely want a full set of rulebooks.

They're not planning a new set of rules soon? Don't want to get caught out by that....

So, for my friend and I, maybe this would make more sense?

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/warpath/army-deals/product/warpath-operation-heracles-two-player-mega-battle-set.html

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/warpath/forge-fathers/product/forge-father-faction-starter-2nd-edition.

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/warpath/enforcers/product/enforcer-faction-starter-2nd-edition.html

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/warpath/getting-started/product/warpath-rulebook-collection.html

It looks like the space dwarves get one less big gun, but more men, and we don't end up with extra abridged rules.

What about the objective cards? Do they matter? They don't seem to be included in the starter: http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/warpath/getting-started/product/warpath-objective-cards.html

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is the new edition hot off the Kickstarter presses, so no you shouldn't expect a sudden change in the near future. Those options give you plenty to play with. The cards are fine but unnecessary. They just replace a D66 table in the book.

Awesome, that's very handy to know! Would we need extra dice, or would what's in the 2-player box be enough? My friend is more interested in the Forge Fathers for Squat conversions.

My wife, on the other hand, is in love with the Veer-Myn.

If I got her these, would that put us all about equal on points/options? Or would she have more?

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/warpath/veer-myn/product/veer-myn-starter-force.html

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/warpath/veer-myn/product/veer-myn-faction-booster.html

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Southern Heel posted:

Honestly I am at this point ready to defend firefight to my dying breath but I think the main Warpath game is just completely wrong - it should be 6-15mm epic scale! What are they thinking!?
I think I've seen that a few times floating around, so, Fire Fight with the contents of Heracles and a Starter Faction box wouldn't be "too big" right?

It sounds like Deadzone is their Infinity/Kill Team/Shadow War game, Fire-Fight their 40k equivalent, and Warpath their "more models makes everything better, but why don't you have a 20'x4' table" game? :v:

Nice advice on the dice and counters by the way: better to have some extras than not enough.

Also, the dice, tokens, and objectives that come in the two-player kits are used in both Fire-Fight and Warpath?

I think it might make sense to get the small and the large 2-player kits just to get enough dice and tokens. . . .

Xarlaxas fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 15, 2017

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Southern Heel posted:

You have the breakdown correct. The Firefight book suggests a points breakdown of <1250pts, 1250-2250 and 2250+, so I would imagine that an average game would fall somewhere in the middle. An example of a force around 1250pts would be 4x5 Asterian Riflemen, 3 Weapons Drones, and an Overseer. - which to me is that sweet spot of somewhere between a scouting force, a combat patrol and a division. Essentially, the main difference is in Firefight the smallest unit is a model, and in Warpath the smallest unit is a team, which is a base of multiple models. Warpath is very much at the divisional level and the scale of the game is much grander.

Here is the starter for Warpath: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10049744/dave/Operation%20Heracles%20pdfs/Operation%20Heracles%20-%20Warpath%20smol.pdf
and here is the equivalent for Firefight: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10049744/dave/Operation%20Heracles%20pdfs/Operation%20Heracles%20-%20Firefight%20Smol.pdf

I've not played Warpath however and only seen it being played, but the benefits of large scale mechanics are lost when you have to paint/play/etc. 28mm figures. If I thought there was any chance of a long term-traction with the game I'd look at 15mm sci-fi honestly. Especially since you'll be able to get the Warpath rules for free online via sneaky PDF download, and the counters/dice/etc. are all easily purchasable from 3rd parties. That's just me though :)

Excellent, thanks for confirming my thoughts, and those links. :) Also that example 1250 point force gives a me a nice idea of what I'd be working with from the starter sets. . . .

Started skimming through the free Firefight rules (quiet day in the office) and they seem pretty nice. I can see the similarities with Kings of War, and it sounds like Warpath is trying to be Kings of War (in spaaaace) which would be more of an epic-level system, definitely.

Also, those starter books give some nice shots of the models: starting to like the look of the Enforcers even more than I thought I would, and the Space Dwarves look really awesome. If only they weren't Space Dwarves. . . .

So: how's the fluff in the Warpath/Firefight universe? It looks like, on the surface we have evil coprorations, honourable space dwarfs, sinister space rats, space-elf drone people, and. . . a race made out of the guys from the Prototype game (do the Plague have rules in Firefight?)

I see I could get just the full Firefight rules for 15 quid: http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/warpath/getting-started/product/warpath-firefight-rulebook.html or the entire collection (with the fluff book) for 30: http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/warpath/getting-started/product/warpath-rulebook-collection.html

Is the Warpath fluff interesting enough for that extra 15 quid, or is this more a game for the mechanics?

NTRabbit posted:

The Veermyn are all new and cool, the hard plastic sprues are really nice, especially the Nightmares - the only thing not new is the Maligni, they're 5 of the old restic nightmares, so will be less impressive. Getting both of these packs gives a good spread as well.

Ooh, thanks for the heads up on that: I was noticing that quite a lot of the stuff is specifically mentioned as "Hard Plastic" which makes me happy to see from Mantic.

My fingers are barely clean from my Basileans. . . .

Xarlaxas fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 16, 2017

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Neat, so, of all the stuff I'm looking at getting, only around 10 models are in not-awesome plastic. That's pretty good.

So, it looks like this is my shopping list:

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/warpath/army-deals/product/warpath-operation-heracles-two-player-battle-set.html

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/warpath/veer-myn/product/veer-myn-starter-force.html

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/warpath/veer-myn/product/veer-myn-faction-booster.html

That would give me two sets of the tokens and dice, my friend gets Space Dwarfs for his (I'm guessing 40k) mad project, and I'll have enough models for me and my wife to have some Human on Rat action.

Only thing left to ponder:

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/warpath/getting-started/product/warpath-firefight-rulebook.html on its own, or do I go for the whole set with the fluff book and the (if I feel adventurous) Warpath book: http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/warpath/getting-started/product/warpath-rulebook-collection.html

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

If you like to read fluff and have the cash, then sure, and you basically get Warpath for free. I have the 3 book set, it's not Clarke or Asimov, but it's a nice read about the universe.

Sounds fair enough. I like having a fluff connection with my wargames. I think that's why I have so much trouble with Warmachine/Hordes (which is what's big in my area at the moment) I like my plastic men to be *my super special plastic men* :colbert:

Thanks a lot everyone, you've been really helpful in helping me fumble my way through the world of Warpath Fire-Fight. :D

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Southern Heel posted:

I'm as bad as the worst of them when I get excited about something, but don't you think it might be a good call to just get one of the starter sets and play a few games first?

With regard to fluff I haven't checked it out at all beyond the most superficial of skimming in the army lists, however the bits that I have give me that warm and fuzzy RT/2nd Ed. 40k feeling updated to the modern day (as per Atlas hugged). I find it really hard to get into badly written sci-fi especially if it's not 'hard' like Revelation Space or something, so I'm going to err on the side of caution with these.

You have a fair point, the problem is customs in my current country gives us a limit on 3 tax-free parcels a year, so, you either go big, or go home when it comes to buying your toys. I've actually used all my tax-free parcels for the year, so I'd be picking these up in January (maybe they'll have a sale?)

The only thing they don't tax are books and DVDs, so I'll probably get the whole fluff collection shipped separately.

Also, glad to hear the RT/2nd ed feel: I remember reading those books when I was 8 and getting the warm and fuzzies. Good times. . . . :3:

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Southern Heel posted:

Wow OK so going through the Forge Father list, it's really neat. Each tier of troops (warriors, veterans, guard) have upgrades which roughly translate to utility, hitting and shooting and all of them have loads of flavour. I was fully expecting the Dreadnought-facsimile to be totally faceless, but it's actually really cool - something like a Wraithlord general.

Now all I need is a colour scheme. I guess Space Marine type schemes would map nicely... any thoughts?

That is really awesome, I'm definitely getting interested in the fluff for this setting, and it sounds like they have some good balance ideas.

Looking at the models, I'd totally agree that Space Marine schemes/styles of painting would go well with them: they really remind me of Dwarf Space Marines in their design, mini-terminators etc.

The studio colour scheme looks a bit like the Minotaur scheme actually. . . . http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Minotaurs

I'd suggest something metallic, maybe a pewter/silver or bronze/brass could be nice? Other than that, maybe more earthy tones might fit their fluff?

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Drone posted:

God people stop buying directly from Mantic :negative: They often have weird shipping problems and sorta lovely supply chain, and you should be supporting retailers who already don't feel incentive enough to stock KoW/Warpath stuff due to Mantic's Kickstarter reliance.

Name an online store that sells Mantic (and has them in stock) other than the Mantic store itself.

The closest local store to me that might sell Mantic is in Argentina, and they would need to order from a North American distributor, or Mantic directly, in order to get product. :colbert:

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Southern Heel posted:

As a side, note - holy poo poo Wayland Games are awesome. I ordered my paints from them 48hrs ago and they're being delivered today. I think if I can get my opponent on board, I'll definitely pick up more from them.. maybe the Forge Father Support Force when I can: a tank, drop troops, another iron ancestor and some gimps. Do we have any idea on the prices of the tank/drop troops?

When they have something in stock it arrives super-fast, if not, well. . . .

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Southern Heel posted:

x-post from Miniatures thread:

Both look nice! I agree that the Yellow/Black theme is a bit better.

Although now I'm thinking of an Enforcer army painted like a fast food chain with sponsorship stuff all over them. . . . :v:

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

I'm in the same sort of boat as Atlas and Southern: we've just gotten a new F(?)LGS that has popped up which is mostly just being used because they let people rent lockers and have lots of space for boards, but the owner wants me to try and demo all the games I currently own. . . which is, a lot. >.>

I've got plans to try and get people into the Kings of War Summer campaign, I just need to paint some of my drat minis, and we have a small coven of Warhammer 8th edition hold-outs who may be converted: especially as one has an entire Dwarf army made from Mantic miniatures, and has organized a tour of Mantic HQ for his upcoming trip to the UK, but has never played any of their games. :ohdear:

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Ugleb posted:

This person clearly has an interesting thought process. Is he also going to Warhammer World?

Yup! :P Not sure why, seeing as he only plays 8th edition fantasy, and he's going to be buying Mantic Undead (from their HQ when he visits) for Vampire Counts. :v:

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Southern Heel posted:

Before he finalises things, it might be worth a quick sanity check on the HQ thing - it's really not a big building - maybe half a dozen offices and a couple of meeting rooms with a foyer, and then the casting warehouse. They were extremely nice and friendly on the open day, but it took longer to walk from the tram stop to the building, than to walk around the full circuit inside.

Ugleb posted:

At least Warhammer World is built as a tourist attraction for nerds, I can see a point in visiting for the dioramas at least.

Yeah, I think it's a matter of "I can buy straight from the source if I visit Mantic HQ" (dunno if they do discounts for visitors or something) and, of course, Warhammer World is the wargaming nerd Mecca, so he's (I imagine) primarily going along to see that.

I used to live up in Scotland and never travelled down to Nottingham to visit because I thought it was too far away, now I'm living in South America. :saddowns:

At any rate, it pushed me to finally start working on painting my KoW stuff: I sprayed and put texture paint spray on my Basileans and Undead Bases, and I primed my Basileans: just need to prime around 200 skeletons. . . . .

At least with KoW I don't have to make sure they all rank up nicely and I can stick them to the bases, unlike my 300+ Skaven models.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

spacegoat posted:

It's like they've put no effort into promoting or growing the WP/FF community. Their forums are dead so I've been emailing customer service with rules queries, who usually end up asking the designers and recommending that I post on said dead forums or FB, and gently caress FB. Last time around they apologised for the state of the forums and ended up giving me a designer's direct email address, but he hasn't got back to me yet either.

It's a shame because KoW as a game and a community is awesome, but it seems like the different game teams have different priorities.

Sounds like Spartan games with their different game lines. . . .

The smaller UK companies really seem to zoom in on their cash-cows and get ultra-focused on them, to the extent of ignoring everything else, followed by spurts of faction/game-line ADD, before coming home to roost with what's bringing in the biggest bucks.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well, GCPS starter forces already exist (hell, I already bought one). That's coming out later this year (I think October?).

I guess they were from the Kickstarter, and are coming to us non-KS plebes later, right? Or can you get them if you raid Mantic HQ? :v:

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Oh. My. God: http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/warpath/army-deals/product/enforcer-mega-force.html :monocle:

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

Firefight is definitely a "baby and the bathwater" situation. The core mechanics are totally fine, but there are minor things that have jumped out at us as needing clarity in the writing, tweaking, or complete revision. I think as is, were I to be playing it regularly, we'd have a decent number of houserules to make it more the game that we want it to be rather than the Warpath mod we got stuck with. Suppression and charge reactions are definitely two things that I would try to modify.

At least the models are pretty good and I'm happy to sit on those while I wait for better rules or to use them to proxy 3e 40k or to play Scrappers or any other scifi game that comes out.

So, buy the models, paint them up, and wait for 2nd edition for Firefight? Or, make sure not to play with competitive WAACers?

Is there a way to get the fluff book without buying the rules as well? :v:

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

Pretty much! Or the FAQs might roll out most of the kinks, if the current way to play works for you.

You can get the sourcebook alone digitally, but if you want it in print you have to buy the rules combo. Still, it's not like the rules are a hundred bucks a pop.

Sounds reasonable: I much prefer physical books to digital: let's just hope a future edition doesn't invalidate all the tokens/dice though. :ohdear:

Atlas Hugged posted:

Buy the models, paint them if you feel like it, play Deadzone, Scrappers, or any of a dozen other games, or play Firefight knowing it has warts.

Sounds reasonable. I'm wanting the Enforcers for Deadzone/Firefight as their fluff sounds pretty fun, but I know there's supposed to be a more "regular sci-fi human" faction, GCPS or something? Are there pictures floating around of them? I'd like to use them as stand-in Imperial Guard as well as Firefight. . . .

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

The old GCPS guys were pretty much not-Cadians, the new ones are 'war on terror in space' and they have a hover tank coming some time in the future

Whoa, those are gorgeous minis: they definitely will suit my purposes. I guess their release date is sometime near the end of this year/start of the next?

Mostly hard plastic is even better too!

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

So backers already have the troops in hand, and the Striders have been out since Deadzone 1E, but the Mule and the flyer are still to come, so I think Mantic is holding off on retail until they have enough elements to put the army starter/reserve/mega force deals together, later this year but no specific date yet.

Makes sense. God, I'm going to be smuggling a lot of minis back from the UK next year at this rate. . . .

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

That's even more awesome, unisex torsos (makes sense) male/female heads, all helmets if you want, weapons for two unit types, and it's hard plastic! :monocle:

GW should really just dump their Cadian moulds in the rubbish and hire Mantic to make their Imperial Guard for them. :v:

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

How does the KOW historicals line up against the KOW fantasy in games? As I understand it, they are cross-compatible. I have a bunch of samurai and soon napoleonic dudes I want to use in all of my massed ranked games. I have no problem using them as "kingdoms of men" or whatever they're called in KOW fantasy but I also want to field them as napoleon's grognards fighting against giant trolls. :mrgw:

I've actually heard that the. . . Mongols (I think) are considered more powerful than all the fantasy races, and are banned from some tournaments, so, there shouldn't be any issues of the Historicals being too weak compared to the Giant trolls. I'd say give it a shot and let us know how it goes, it would certainly be fun! :)

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

It does, they use exactly the same rules, same special rules etc.

There's even a section in the Historicals book with the spells and some generic "monster" stats for, I guess, the mythical stuff, but that's optional.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Seldom Posts posted:

Welp, the countdown for the wayland games reserve forces ran down to zero, and now it says "restock expected." I guess it'll be a long time before I see my tank.

I think I (or someone else, or many people) have said previously: never buy anything from Wayland unless it says it's in stock, or you are happy to wait a few months before it gets shipped.

They used to be even worse, because they would list things as in stock (not stating the quantity) and just give a delivery estimate for each item: from the delivery estimate you could decipher whether "in stock" meant "we have it in our warehouse" or "we can get our distributor to send us one, when you order it, then we'll ship it to you when it arrives. :geno:

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

So extrapolating
  • Veer-myn reserve and mega forces to hit retail right after they dispatch to backers, in a month or two
  • GCPS and Plague starter, reserve, and mega forces, retail Xmas/NY
  • Asterian reserve and mega forces, retail Xmas/NY

Well, I know where my money's going around the New Year :getin: glorious Space Troopers and Rat Men.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake I'm going to have to negotiate another address change.

Address changes during a Kickstarter? :ohdear:

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

So, one of my friends made his trip to Mantic HQ today, picked up an order (and they have him a bunch of free extras too) and I got him to ask about GCPS for me: apparently it'll be September that we'll see them in the non-Kickstarter wild. :)

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Well I guess I'm buying me some rulebooks: http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/crazy-bobbys-book-bonanza.html

EDIT: How good are the Mantic Novels? I'm looking at getting the "Warpath Extended Reading" set to get all the rules and the novel, or the Rulebook Collection and the "Extended Reading" set with the Deadzone and Dungeon Saga Novels too. . . .

Xarlaxas fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 29, 2017

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

So, probably just the Warpath Rulebook Collection (that comes with the Sourcebook): I understand that the background fluff for the universe is pretty fun?

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

It is, yes. It draws from corporate dystopian and cyberpunk fiction of the 80s onwards, as opposed to 40k drawing on the fascist themes of post-WW2 fiction.

Nice. I find both themes appealing, so I'll probably have fun making my own fluffy GCPS and Enforcer armies. . . .

Atlas Hugged posted:

I didn't expect something as technically impressive as The Inquisition War, but when it opened with a Nietzsche quote I thought it would spiral out of control and into madness rapidly, but it's just gun porn sadly.

Ugh, gun porn. Yeah, I must admit that I read a lot of 40k Black Library books (especially Gaunt's Ghosts, Ciaphas Cain, Guard stuff) but the combat is usually the least exciting thing to read.

Just going for the rulebook set then! Thanks for the advice. :)

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

Star Saga test samples came in, they're gonna paint them and take more photos after they've taken them to GenCon

Protoss army? :v:

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

I am in love.

I wonder when they'll get their Mega Force? I guess when their tanks/flyers are released?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

I'm really going to have to think about how I do my dioramas. . . .

I have the bases, and I have texture paint for the various locales (desert for my Basileans, rocky ground for my undead, etc.) but I'm not too sure what to put on the bases to make them super exciting.

I know my Forces of the Abyss are going to be all jungle/creepy vine-based, and I have a few shoggoths and such to use as hideous flowers, so that's fine, but I have no experience in the whole "diorama" thing.