Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

FasterThanLight posted:

Wow, apparently my homeowners insurance is going to offer to either replace my stolen old Leica gear with brand new stuff from B&H, or give a payout based on depreciated values. Still waiting for the replacement list, but from what they told me on the phone, I'm guessing that means I'll end up with a new M7 to replace my 50 year old M2. I almost feel guilty accepting it.

Make sure your premiums don't skyrocket because of the claim. Not sure exactly how those sorts of things work, but if you get $3000 worth of gear but your next year of premiums cost you an additional $5000, it's worth just eating the loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Has the bottom really fallen out of the 5Dmk1 market? I've seen at least two for under $600 recently on craigslist. That seems like an insane price for a full frame sensor camera, even if it is a few years old at this point.

Though I guess now that Mk3 is out the price was bound to compress down.

It's hard to see it dropping much further than that-- but I said the same thing about 1d mark 2s. Those dropped a bit more after Canon decided that they wouldn't service those any longer. If the 5D can still be sent to Canon for service (other than the mirror issue?) then it still has some room to drop.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

SKULE123 posted:

I had been looking for a solution like this to tether to an iPad, but my 7D doesn't take Eye Fi SD cards, so this Kickstarter solved a problem for me. Thought I'd share it here in case anyone cared, this is not a shill.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/urashid/cameramator-wireless-tethered-photography

Hm, $200 isn't a bad price. I might buy into my first kick starter. I have a feeling that waiting for the second gen, or more wifi memory cards to come out might be worthwhile though.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

GoldenNugget posted:

Anyone use old FD lenses with their EOS type canon DSLRs? I'm seeing that there are a few types of FD to EOS adapters and I'm curious what people's experiences with them are like.

Not good, they either use an adapter with no glass which screws with the focus distance, or glass which screws with the quality of the lens.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

DJExile posted:

If you want to experiment with different focal lengths, there are a number of good lens rental companies out there where you can get different things for a few days to see what you like. Travel zooms that cover huge ranges (like that 18-135) are often low-to-mediocre quality, and usually very rough on the long end.

They're usually pretty bad at both ends unfortunately. You give up so much when you have to design an ultrawide and telephoto in one go.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
The 17-50 will mount and not cause damage to the camera (as an ef-s will hit the mirror) but the vignetting will make the lens essentially useless. It's kind of, sort of usable on a 1.3x crop.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

if you want to dramatically shake poo poo up why not try that fuji x-pro 1 thing

Can you mount any glass on the x-pro1/e-x1? I was under the impression that there was something with the flange distance which would cause trouble, I've only heard of people mounting M glass.

I'm still considering selling all my gear and using the x-pro1 for a year or so and just practicing the basics.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

That's it! Thanks a ton.

If you're wondering (maybe helpful if you need to remember for the future) it's because of more mAh (e.g.: 3500 vs 4200, the bigger the number the longer the battery should last).

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

dakana posted:

Hrm. You might be asking too much for cheap triggers. Honestly once you actually start expecting your cheap triggers to work right be flexible, you need to start looking at triggers that don't have entirely questionable QC procedures and translations done by Google Translate.

It looks like the FlexTT5 would do what you're looking for.

Not even the flex tt5 can do all that-- if you get the AC3 to adjust your flashes, you can't have a flash on the top of the camera.

Would recommend just getting the TT5s though, they're loving awesome.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

dakana posted:

You can't dial in exposure of a remote manual flash from the 580EX II?

Don't know- I only have a 430exII and the AC3 right now. Next up is an einstein but that's a while away because of my impulse purchases this year.

e:

quote:

You can use the Canon 580EX II to manually adjust power levels on remote Speedlites mounted on PocketWizard FlexTT5 Tranceivers to precisely control exposure.

http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirations/tutorials/remote_manual_flash/

So yes you can- depending on your needs. I got my AC3 super cheap and have no regrets, especially as you can control different groups easily, which is nice if you're metering and using multiple ones.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bubbacub posted:

How is it different from the Sigma 30mm f/1.4? Better optics?

It's the best performing fast 35, surprisingly. Better then Canons 35 1.4, Zeiss, Sigma, etc.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Google Butt posted:

I posted in the Canon thread looking for recommendations on an UWA, but I've reassessed my budget and it doesn't permit a Sigma 8-16mm at the moment. I've been looking at the Sigma 30/1.4 (I love primes) on Flickr, the images I've found are very appealing. How's the AF on it? The Sigma 10-20mm also fits in my budget.

I've got a 7d, Tamron 17-50, Canon 70-200 F4/L and a set of c/y Zeiss primes (25, 60, 85, 180). I guess it makes more sense to go with the 10-20 to give me a wider range, but the shots I've seen from the Sigma 30mm have looked really appealing.

fake edit:

Has anyone done any sales/trade on the Fred Miranda forums?

The Sigma 30 1.4 is pretty okay focus wise, provided you get a good copy. That is one of the lenses which is really a lottery play to try to get a good copy- and you can't really trust sellers through forums because they will just say that it worked fine on their bodies.

That being said, I've had nothing but good luck and deals on both Fred Miranda (and POTN, and SA).

e: But I don't and wont do any trades that aren't local. I don't trust people to ship things to me while I cross ship. I'd rather take the $30-50 loss in selling and buying with that money.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

rcman50166 posted:

You show me a $300 Rokinon 14mm and I'll show you a man who bought another lens.

It's been on 'sale' a few times this year:

Most recently was on December 7th:
http://slickdeals.net/f/5659574-Rokinon-14mm-f2-8-for-Canon-Nikon-mounts-299-Amazon-Lightning-Deal-LIVE-10-30AM-PST

Prior to that, November 28th:
http://slickdeals.net/f/5602770-Bower-14mm-f-2-8-Ultra-Wide-Angle-Lens-299-Bower-35mm-f-1-4-Lens-379-Free-shipping-2-Rewards

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Wasn't sure where to discuss this, but it's basically a magic adapter that makes lenses faster and wider on mirrorless cameras.

http://philipbloom.net/2013/01/13/speedbooster/

If it wasn't so expensive I would absolutely pick one up, but at $60, I will probably skip it.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Where are you guys seeing $60, I saw and still see $600

E: ah I see, I typod. It's $600 not $60.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Not sure if this was the thread I posted about the Metabones adapter in- but the Lensrentals guy took a look at it, and was impressed that it did everything it claimed to do:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/01/metabones-magic

e: searched my own posts and it was this thread.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I don't think you want to use isoprop alcohol on lenses as they generally have different coatings on them than eyeglasses. I spent the $10 and bought a lens pen which has a brush to clean debris off and a little charcoal nub that absorbs grease/smudges.

e: It probably wouldn't immediately cause damage but over time could cause degradation of the coating, but I'm just speculating, and would not use it.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Yeeeeeeep. Already sliding pretty fast. Bought a 100 2.8 USM last month, realized how much I loved having actually good, quiet AF and it was all downhill from there. :sigh:

What L did you buy?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I'd like to see where you are in 2 years, gear wise. That was also mine (and a lot/most) first L lens.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's fun/embarrassing to watch my progression in the Canon thread. I started posting in there in 2010 when I unloaded my 20D in hopes of a 60D; instead ended up getting a 7D. Then I got some L-glass. Then I got the 5D Mark III.

I'm afraid to see where I go next. shut up woot fatigue! don't you dare say TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II

That's why I asked- pretty much the same for me:

1000D -> 1D2 ->1D2+ 5D2 (and some other nex,fuji mirrorlesses) -> (?? 5D3/1D4)
18-55 + 70-300 -> 17-50 tamron + 50 1.8 + 70-200 4 -> 35L + 20-35L + 24 TS-E + 70-200 2.8 IS II

e: I forgot a few lenses including zeiss 35/2, 85 1.8, 100L that were bought, used for a while, and sold.

I like swapping gear out when I have time to play with things.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bobx66 posted:

Is there any consensus on zoom macro lenses? I'm shooting videos in a very small kitchen and I would like the ability to change focal lengths on the fly while still retaining a larger reproduction ratio and short minimum focus distance.

Should I just get a good zoom and swap out for my prime macros as needed or is there a magical inbetweener lens that I should be looking at?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carl-Zeiss-...181107809526%26

One of these bad boys was the first thing to come to mind- but I'm not sure what level of magnification it gets with the macro switch. I do know that it's an amazing lens, and has been on my buy list forever.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

xzzy posted:

Cameras in phones are so passe, the next frontier is phones in cameras.

There are already production point and shoots that have android (at least one ships in April- not sure if its the first to market):
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/04/galaxy-camera-wifi-shipping/

e: Ah hah! Cellular came out way back when, Wifi only this month:
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/samsung/galaxy-camera-white.html#fbid=gvTGvXVEE0M

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Haggins posted:

I was looking at my news feed and I thought this was a left over article from April fool's:

Sigma Announces 18-35mm f/1.8 - World's First Constant f/1.8 Zoom Lens

That's actually a pretty cool lens, I really enjoyed my 20-35L- I can see that lens selling pretty well if it's not absurdly expensive.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bubbacub posted:

Goddammit, anyone else end up with one of those bum SD cards from Sandisk that won't format?

Where did you get it? Probably a fake :(

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

QPZIL posted:

On full frame, how big of a gain is 40mm over 50mm? I already have the 50 1.8 II, but the 40mm is so darned cheap.

I can't give you actual difference, but it feels closer to 50 than 35.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Dangerous Mind posted:

OK so finally I found a thread that's relevant to my interests.

What you are looking to buy
Just looking for a cheap camera that's most recommended for the budget.
Budget
About ~$300, I don't want to spend more than that.

Generally the best canon point and shoot in your price range (in this case, S95/S100). There are occasionally other ones which compete, but Canon ones are always great and safe.

Also going to recommend going to your local library and renting a copy of "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson (Or acquiring it through purchasing, borrowing, whatever). Lots of the information will likely be overkill if you never really go beyond automatic settings, but grasping the basics of photography will ensure your photos are markedly improved (using the same equipment). More expensive equipment makes acquiring difficult shots easier, or possible- but knowledge will make even smartphones take better pictures ( http://fstoppers.com/iphone )

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

I really doubt you need to read understanding exposure if you literally just want to take body progress shots. When basically all you need to know is more light = better picture

I guess that's true- I figured if he's willing to spend $300 on a camera, clearly the quality matters and/or a passing interest in photography.

Cheapest Canon point & shoot and a tripod so you're not taking pictures in the mirror.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

Third party grips are one of the places where going third party is actually a fine way to save money. Apparently a lot of them are "third shift" type stuff, where the official factory closes down for the night but a third shift comes in, changes the brand (with everything else the same) but that's it. So you're basically getting an official grip in everything but name and warranty but saving over $200.

Depends what body you get them for, but they're usually not anywhere near as sturdy (the 5d2/5d3 ones) as legit ones. They're usually fine functionally though, but be cautious about water resistance for any magnesium body cameras.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Im not sure I need to spend anything like that .. what seems to be the most useful ND filter for water shots, etc?

The cheaper the filter the more tint it introduces in the photos (can be tricky to remove), as well as making shots less sharp.

The ultimate cheap ND filter is welders glass, but it introduces a wicked color tint. If you want to give it a try for as cheap as possible, go buy one and play around- then if you like it and find that you will use it a lot, buy something good. Wasting tons of time trying to fix photos after using poo poo filters is frustrating and will make you use them less often.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Marumi (Super DHG CPL) is the best bang for the buck.

I can't find the old review that compared like 10 of them, but it's amazingly good for the price (if not better than even the ones twice it's price, but I don't recall the rankings exactly).

e: Found it:
http://www.lenstip.com/115.4-article-Polarizing_filters_test_Results_and_summary.html

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
A good copy of the 50 1.4 performs quite admirably- but that is one of the lenses created prior to Sigma stepping up their game immensely. So I wouldn't buy a used copy unless that user gives you test shots and has a decent reputation - because many people like to foist poo poo copies of that lens around buy/sell forums.

e:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=367&sort=7&cat=38&page=2

Good copies are good, and mediocre copies are aplenty.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bob Mundon posted:

Am I crazy or do they have a new 50mm version which would be the equivalent of this? Could have sworn I saw one, but could be totally wrong.

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-Canon-Digital-Cameras-Black/dp/B00BQXL8BU/ref=sr_1_18?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1375851411&sr=1-18

I honestly don't know about that - I haven't really been in the market for a 50 in like two years, so things may have changed. I do feel like I would have remembered hearing about it, but it's just as likely that they have improved it as part of their new awesome lens series.

(They're doing really good work now a days, so I wouldn't be too surprised if they tried to fix some of the problems with it)

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
A little bit of both- there are issues with it, but like most things on the internet, you generally only hear complaints, and lots of them are filled with hyperbole.

I think that the Sigma 50 1.4 is a better lens, but the Canon really isn't as bad as people say it is. Most of the people that complain about those lenses are pixel peepers - but the focus motor problems are very real, albeit less frequent than the internet would have you believe.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

So I settled on the 40mm 2.8 for the time being. I want a nice 50, so I am going to wait later to get the 1.2 if nothing better develops with the 1.4 on Sigma/Canon.

If you decide to go with the 50 1.2 make certain that you are familiar with, and familiar with how to work around the focus shift. Fantastic lens, but it also has issues (inherent in the design of it).

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

xcore posted:

Can someone give me some advice on a "things to look for/questions to ask" type checklist for purchasing second hand lenses?

In particular, I'm looking at purchasing a second hand Canon 70-200 F4. I'm a bit of a noob and don't have lot of experience in the mechanics/ins and outs of a good lens. For example, this is a listing that peaked my interest http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/essendon/digital-cameras/canon-ef-70-200mm-f4-l-is-usm-lens-and-extras-mint/1024130327

Things to look for/try:

Front and rear elements free of scratches/chips
Look through and see if there is any mold growth inside the lens
Does the focus ring (and zoom ring) rotate smoothly?
Does it mount correctly and dismount correctly (no play/wiggle)
When it's on the camera, will it actually take pictures and not throw up the ERR ## code (contacts dirty/screwed up)

I think that's mostly it - as long as it's not too crazy cheap of a deal people usually don't try to pull any shenanigans.

He actually covered these things in his listing, so confirm they're true:

quote:

No marks, scratches or fungus on glass or body. The Zoom and Focus rings are firm and work smoothly

There are a couple of very small dust spots inside that can be seen with a bright light but they have no affect on the great image quality.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

mclifford82 posted:

I'm not even sure what to say about this. A lens that has a camera built into it so you can mount it on your smartphone. It's either genius or retarded, I'm not sure which.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-hot-first-images-of-the-new-dsc-qx10-and-dsc-qx100-lens-cameras/

Honestly? loving genius if the execution is good. It might not take off at $450+ starting for the lower end model, but as an early adopter who loves to be shafted - it caught my interest.

I'm thinking google glass (or similar future product) live view through the sensor via wifi.

e: I know google glass has a camera built into it - but I'm more concerned about higher quality pictures from this while connected to it. It's definitely a novel idea.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/35mm-f14-dg-hsm-a-refurbished

The new Sigma 35 1.4 on refurb is on sale - $679 for Canon, Nikon, Sony. The price has been showing up buggy for some people, try a different browser if it's not working for you.

note: poo poo warranty but it's a prime lens, so I figure if it works and is good from day 1, I don't expect much trouble.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Adorama is the friendlier of the two shops

I agree with this - and if you have a problem Helen is very easy to get in touch with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

IanTheM posted:

Supposedly there's a new 35L coming this year, to get it up spec vs most new 35/1.4s.

Not sure if I believe that - there has been a new one imminent for a quite a while. Maybe the Sigma 35 has forced their hands though.