Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

FormerFatty posted:

This is a massive long shot but has anyone here used a Hasselblad to Pentax K-Mount adaptor before? Were there any problems?

EDIT:

There are some real bargains on Ebay, look at this baby, $100 with no bids yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hasselbald-...=item19d240ce4b

I am aware that posting this here might drive up the price but there are plenty of other good deals out there.

That won't sell for anything near $100, there are three days left in the auction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

FormerFatty posted:

I looked at the finished auctions, another identical lens failed to sell for $200

Oh it's not a T* lens, yeah those generally go for between 2 and 3 hundred.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Dudebro posted:

Why get something like a Yongnuo instead of a Nikon or Canon flash? I see the word "manual", but how does that translate in real world situations? I don't know anything about the world of lighting, but I've been considering getting one of the Canon Speedlites.

Edit: sorry. I'll be reading the lighting thread as well

Manual flash is very easy to get used to. I have shot a ton of events on DSLRs with old Nikon SB-26s in manual mode. I just toss an omnibounce on, point it at the ceiling, set the flash on 1/4 (to start), and adjust the aperture for distance. Just chimp frequently and you quickly get a feel for how much light you need at what distances.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Martytoof posted:

FYI after handling a real life Leica M3 I now have the Leica lust.

Don't be me, kids.

I am attempting to fill this void with cheap soviet Leica III knockoffs but somehow I doubt this will work.

It won't FSU cameras are soooo much rougher around the edges. Note this is based on the 5 minutes I once held an M7 in 2008.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

longview posted:

Extension tubes + 35mm lens = high res super quick scanner.

Only problem I'm stuck on is finding a good film holder, it needs to keep the film very flat even near the end of a strip, so I can shoot with a wider aperture and avoid the diffraction penalty.

Get a piece of antinewton glass and gaffer tape the negs to it, or get two pieces and sandwich.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

evil_bunnY posted:

On F3 It was no problem at all. The trick is to put the ciggie as close to the palm as you can.

PS: get better cameras you fukken plebs

Whoa, whoa, whoa, there is no reason to get all pentaxphobic.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Krelas posted:

Quick question: if I can get a K1000 for roughly the same price that I can get an ME Super, should I opt for that instead?

Haha, no. The K1000 is overhyped, the ME blows it away in terms of features.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Lediur posted:

Are there any big downsides to getting off-brand QR plates and clamps as opposed to RRS / Kirk stuff? I was looking at this clamp and a plate off Amazon and they look to be built similarly to brand ones that are easily double the price.

I have a Desmond brand clamp on my Tiltall and it's rock solid. That plate is a little fiddly though I got sick of having to use a screwdriver to remove it because the built in ring is terrible. I forked over the money for legit Acratech dedicated plates to put on my Hasselblad and Pentax 67 and they are totally worth it to me. The cheaper universal plate may be fine if you don't use the tripod all that often or only have one body though.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

nielsm posted:

Urgh angry about flashes here.

I bought a Nissin Di466 for Nikon and a Hähnel wireless trigger on sale today, thinking I would finally get not just proper manual controlled flash, but also off-camera.
Well, turns out that the drat flash only fires when it gets full i-TTL control signals. It's literally impossible to have it trigger with a basic two-contact hotshoe. Meaning that it can't be triggered by the radio trigger. At least it can still work in an optically triggered slave-mode, so if I trigger one flash with the radio-thingy then the Nissin can trigger from that in turn.

But... why. Why can't you just make a flash that works on any stupid camera. :argh:

http://www.nissindigital.com/files/en_di466_users_nmanual.pdf

It defaults to TTL mode but according to this PDF you can set it in manual mode.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
That and anyone that "tests" a f/1.4 lens for "backfocus" without a tripod and ruler doesn't know what they are talking about. So make sure your friend isn't mistaken. I had a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 back when I shot Nikon APS-C cameras and it was phenomenally sharp even wide open. I hardly ever took it off my camera. I may have just won the QC lottery but based on my experience if I had a crop frame DSLR I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Cross-post from the landscapes thread:

Is it more helpful to have a hard or soft edge for graduated ND filters? Looking at snagging my first set to experiment with, thanks.

Soft edge (probably), it will depend on what you shoot. Hard edge grads are great for stuff where there is a clear sky transition, like shooting out over water. Soft edege stuff is for when things might be sticking up into the sky, such as buildings and trees. This is just a general rule so your mileage may vary.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Yeah, not to say that cheap wireless triggers aren't perfectly fine for a lot of photographers. I used a set of chinese ebay radio triggers for a few years at weddings and never had an issue. I did have to tape the battery doors shut and in one case modify a battery door so that it would work at all. Not once did I feel let down by them, if my flash miss fired once or twice a night it wasn't a big deal.

If you are shooting all day with flash or on a big production where even a small delay to troubleshoot trigger will gently caress up your schedule then Pocketwizards are cheap at any price.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Is there something like this, about an inch / inch and a half:

tapped as a regular tripod sized screw hole on the bottom and a regular tripod threaded screw on top that I can buy online somewhere?

I just got a cheap Orbis ringflash and bracket, but the bracket isn't long enough at full stretch to take a 580EXII and a Flash Trigger and still mount up to a 50D with grip - putting the widget between the flash trigger and the bracket should sort me out.

It just fits gripless, but I need my portrait shutter button and double battery power, dammit :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-TRIPOD-EXTENSION-EXTENDER-TUBE-1-4-20-THREAD-CCTV-/350276510631

That should work, no idea if you can find them cheaper some place else though.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Molten Llama posted:

Then there are the 433MHz triggers like your Cowboy Studio triggers, which will generally work fine because they're terribly illegal in the US and transmitting on a restricted frequency.

This explains why my ebay triggers never seemed to have any interference problems.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Not really a miracle. The same size aperture on a shorter focal length lens will be a lower F stop. Adding glass (especially $60 glass) to the lens to do this probably decreases the actual amount of light being transmitted anyways. Remember F stop is just a calculated number that we use because it's the standard way of describing the aperture. I would want to see lab tested T stop values before I believed that it was really any "faster".

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I still think it's a cool adapter so that you don't end up with stupid long lenses when adapting for mirrorless cameras but it's too cheap for me to believe that it's anything but terrible.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Oh, that's probably okay then. Still doubtful with out independent testing but a lot more likely to not be the worst thing ever.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Bobx66 posted:

Why does it seem like there is no interchangability on the quick release plates for consumer (dslr sized) heads?

I am looking for a fluid video head and a monopod with a matching head so that I don't have to switch out my plates. Is there a brand that has a consistent plate size or is there possibly a way to swap out the mounts for the plates?

Buy arca swiss style plates and heads.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Bobx66 posted:

Man they really get the most out of the pricing of these clamps. $150 to not have to change my plates, wow.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

You can buy cheaper clamps. I paid $30 from Amazon for the one on my monopod. I do recommend better plates that are fitted to your camera like Acratech branded ones. Universal plates are shameful.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

BANME.sh posted:

I never knew dealextreme sold camera stuff. I just got a IR remote for $2 with free shipping :stare:

It's probably a death laser that will set your camera on fire the first time you point the remote at it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I shoot primes so that I can be smug as gently caress to zoomhavers.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SybilVimes posted:

I shoot whatever is in walking distance of the car because I have a good tripod :smug:

Yeah me too.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

ahmeni posted:

Leaving the car to take photos? Why not just be Ansel Adams and shoot from the roof of your car?

I drive a convertible. :radcat:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Mr. Despair posted:

Yeah, but it's not a Genuine Canon Lens :smug:

That's actually one for the "in favor" column.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Casu Marzu posted:

I don't drink, I don't do drugs, my only hobby I really spend money on is photography.

You sound boring at parties. Wait, do you have like a van you could use to drive around us funhavers? That would be cool.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

Look how dumb you are.

You're the one that just called gear chat a "serious thread".

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
It's not really a hassle. Tubes are more flexible than a dedicated macro lens in my opinion. I have a short one for using on my Hassie 150mm for portraits, it adds next to zero weight to my kit.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

I'm the lack of a ruler in the photograph to give a useful sense of scale.

Look at this guy that doesn't know the Pentax 40mm pancake has a 49mm filter thread.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

49mm, the second scrubbiest thread diameter, after 55mm.

52mm 4lyfe :snoop:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
If a laptop is too bulky then just buy a bunch more CF cards.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Reichstag posted:

What's the best monitor I can get for photo editing under $300? Closer to $200 the better.

Someone recommended this one. At least I assume they did, I can't think of another reason I would have saved it in my wishlist. http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSha...d=I11T72H6CWJPX

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

MrBlandAverage posted:

lookit dat ground glass :drat:

Walk into the club like "what's up I gotta big contact print".

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
SMDH if you people need to see the scene in B&W on the camera to shoot in B&W.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I am a minimalist. The only things I need to make art is your mom and a bottle of scotch.

(Art is what I call sex with your mother BTW)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

ExecuDork posted:

Pathetic. Relying on a crutch like Scotch is the sign of a poseur.

Look man I don't set your mom's rates, complain to her.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Musket posted:

I once sat with a shutter open for 7 hours. It was rather boring. I actually read a book.

What book? No true artist reads anything but the finest animes while taking long exposures.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

evil_bunnY posted:

Peaking is a much more reliable focus aid than a giant viewfinder.

Look at this guy that hasn't used a 4x5. Focus peaking? I'll just get my giant gently caress off loupe and peak whatever the gently caress I want. :cmon:

spog posted:

True artists would have read lots of amazon book reviews beforehand, so they could visualise the story without having to open the book.

I have rectified your statement.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Not now nerd, we are discussing the finer points of the Star Wars EU ITT. Just buy any old EF to F mount adapter on Amazon.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

HPL posted:

I don't take pictures. I memorize a scene and people have to read my mind to see it.

Every time I try this the only thing people end up seeing is hosed up nudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Bubbacub posted:

Willing to take a hit in image quality to have a lens that doesn't sound like a NASCAR pit stop.

I would be more likely to buy a lens if it sounded like an impact wrench :black101: