Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Looking for some recommendations for a DSLR field monitor if anyone has experience with them. I’m using a Nikon D3300 DSLR and am currently saddled with the camera’s built-in LCD screen for focus assistance and framing up shots. I’d ideally wanna try and keep the spending on it under €200 if a good solid compatible one is available.

Feelworld makes a bunch of inexpensive monitors in the sub €200 range. No idea about the quality, a few Youtube reviews said they're decent. You can probably just mount them on the hotshoe, or you can look into getting a rig for the camera. Remember to get extra batteries for the monitor, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
One big advantage phones have is ease of sharing photos. You can upload them directly from the phone to various services. A lot of camera companies provide Wifi/Bluetooth with smartphone apps, but these tend to be finicky.

If you don't mind downloading the files to your editing computer/tablet, you could potentially look at used cameras from a few years back. Fuji X100 series should fit in your jacket pocket, but probably a tad too large for like jeans.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

I want to gently caress around with green screens so i can make dumb pictures, which means i need some continuous lights.

I dont need anything massive, or high end. I was looking around on amazon but who the gently caress knows what you get there. Im hoping for some recommendations.

Any reason you want continuous lights instead of strobes? Generally you can get more light out of strobes compared to continuous lights for a given budget. Of course depends on what you want to shoot, and your budget.

Something like a Godox SL60W gets you consistent color and a decently powerful output, but it's still way more expensive than the clamp lights suggested upthread.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Walked posted:

Looking for some continuous LED Lights for video. I want something I can put a Bowens minute softbox on (nice to reuse gear when I can)

Any budget suggestions?

There's a bunch of Godox stuff that has a Bowens mount. SL60W is the cheapest one, I think, and the build quality isn't great. SL150W gives you more light and a better build quality. VL150 and VL200 were already mentioned.

Aputure Amaran series uses Bowens too, I think.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Shrieking Muppet posted:

So I'm thinking of picking up photography again. Would mostly be dabbling in urban landscapes and portraits. I really want one of the Fuji medium format digitals but I cant really justify that to my self so I've narrowed it down to two choices:

1) Nikon Z6I or Z6II + 24-120 f4 - Tempting because its full frame so its closer to medium format, however the lens I want is not out yet so I would be waiting and hoping Nikon makes a kit of the 24-120 Z mount when it hits the market.

2) Fuji X-T4 16-80 f4 - I've liked Fuji's in camera processing, however since they don't see a point in competing in the full frame market its just crop sensors.

For goons who lived with these cameras what did you like dislike? Also if there are other brands/models to look at I would be interested to hear suggestions.

I guess also would it be worth it to just get a last gen DSRL Nikon and a 24-120 F mount? I know F mount is on its way out but I see a lot of deals on glass and I'm sure the FTZ adapters will be around for awhile.

Used to shoot a lot with Nikon stuff, but using Fuji now. I got the X-T4 w/ 16-80/4 about a year ago, but I was never a fan of the lens. Sold it this summer, got a used bargain priced 16-55 about a month ago, much more satisfied with that. But I also almost always shoot wide open, so that extra stop is useful for me. I do like the body a lot, but still prefer Nikon's handling over Fuji's, maybe because I started out with Nikon.

If you can wait for the Z mount 24-120, nothing wrong with that, just know that it might take a while.

There's a bunch of used Nikon F bodies on the market for very decent prices. You could look into D750, D810, and for a bit more money, the D780 and D850. Hell, depending on what you shoot, even the D800 might be a good choice. The D850 is still hands down my favorite camera body ever, there's just something real nice about the colors.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Fuji seems to have a better menu system than Sony. And then most cameras have EOS lens adapters, but that doesn't help you as a Nikon guy. I would guess that Nikon adapters should be available soon if not already

To be fair, pretty much every other manufacturer has a better menu system than Sony, but Sony's mirrorless bodies are still wildly popular, so YMMV.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
I find it absolutely hilarious that a lot of the people who keep saying they need massive resolution only post their photos on Twitter.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Do you need the extra range or the extra stop more?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Since I'm going to be buying a used camera, my thinking is that I probably should just get a fresh battery for it, and avoid guesswork with the health status of the one it'll come with. Just one, since most reviews say that it'll last a day, and if it lasts a day for a pro, it'll most assuredly last any day I could put it up for.

re: MPB, I've used the EU store several times for both buying and selling and it's always been fine. Gear as advertised. I've usually paid for the faster shipping because I tend to buy things last minute. When selling, money's usually been deposited within two weeks from shipping.

But still very anecdotal, last page had a bunch more experiences.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
It's less about DSLR autofocus being bad, and more about newer bodies just having better AF systems overall. Newer lenses also often come with faster, more precise focus motors. You shoot on a 10 year old entry level DSLR or mirrorless with a cheap kit lens in low light and you might have a bad time. You shoot on a 10 year old flagship DSLR with a flagship lens and suddenly it's much easier to acquire and track your subject.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Ropes4u posted:

Has anyone purchased from MBP? Thinking about picking by up a used Oly EM1 Mkiii to play with

Some posters have had issues with the US customer service, but EU seems to be generally positive. As usual, YMMV. Check and double check whatever you've ordered, and return if needed, no matter where you order from. MPB has a warranty period, not sure about the others.

If you're in the US, B&H and Adorama also have extensive used departments.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
The Sony RX100 series might be worth a look. It's a compact point-and-shoot, so should fit in a pocket. Image quality won't be as good as something with a bigger sensor, but it's small. There's like 7 different generations of it available, so look into buying a used one that fits your budget.

If you're in the US, trustworthy used sites are places like KEH, MPB, B&H and Adorama. If you're in the EU, I think it's pretty much just MPB, possibly CVP?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

reading between the lines it seems that using old f mount lenses with an adapter on the new Z mounts is a bad move? (im guessing because the adapter is extra weight, new lenses arent _that_ expensive, and probably the compact vs full frame makes the focal lengths different ?)

It really depends on the lens. Newer lenses tend to have faster, more accurate focus motors, and the new mounts allow for better optical solutions. But some lenses might still be good enough depending on your use case, and especially a lot of the F mount classics are really cheap on the used market.

e: You could argue that the Z and RF mounts are currently the best ones, because Nikon and Canon have learned from the other companies' (and occasionally their own) mirrorless ventures.

double e: Oh and yeah the big companies have essentially stopped developing DSLR cameras so going with modern mirrorless means you have new stuff in the future.

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 19, 2023

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
I want to get into super teles for the first time, for outdoorsy nature photos. Nikon Z, very open to adapting F lenses, especially since I'm on a budget. I can get a Nikon 200-500/5.6 for about 850€ used, should I be looking into the various Sigma/Tamron 150-600 versions? Or if the Z mount 180-600 VR is actually the best budget option (once it's in stock)?

e: \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ more landscapes, maybe occasional wildlife photo

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 30, 2023

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
You can find pretty incredible used deals nowadays.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Needs:

Good organization without being bulky or taking up the whole bag. I mostly travel with one bag including camera gear, so I need space for a few rolled up clothing items and a small toiletry bag.

Backpack style, no rollers or messengers.

14" laptop compartment

Tripod holder/water bottle sleeve would be a nice to have but not required

Ease of access in TSA line would also be great

Bags I've tried: Peak Design 30L everyday, Think Tank Retrospective, Manfrotto Pro Light, Wandrd Provoke (don't know which size it was)

Take a look at Gura Gear and Shimoda.

Gura Gear Kiboko comes in a few different sizes, inserts are built-in (and so not removable), good build quality. Laptop sleeve varies based on specific model.

Shimoda bags generally have frames, so there's more sturdiness but also more weight, and they have removable inserts. Good quality, good support if you're carrying more stuff, but can get bulky. I like the roll-tops. Bunch of different sizes and colors, two main product lines.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Yeah if you're trying to save on weight, the Shimodas aren't light. You can remove the waist belt if needed.

I use the Action X30 (v1) as my main travel bag, and I always pray that the gate agents won't check the weight.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I am wondering if a Shimoda is the answer? My friend has the Shimoda Explore V2 30 and I know the laptop pouch will fit my computer. I just wonder if I want a tiny bit more space. I am looking at the 35 but still not sure. I have been a stupid baby over the price but realize it is a stupid thing to faff over a ~$200 price delta compared to a Lowepro or something when I am talking about housing stuff that is relatively much higher valued.

Is there something else in this range to consider? Do these things ever go on sale?

The Action series has roll-tops if you want something a bit more expandable. I've seen Shimoda bags on clearance sales when they release new product lines, and you might get a small discount code if you join their mailing list, but no other big deals besides that. Individual retailers might have their own sales of course.

I use the Action 30 as my primary travel bag and really happy with it. I carry two bodies, three lenses, shotgun mic, monitor, a few LED panels, audio recorder, laptop and tablet, and a lot of batteries and cables.

You might also want to look into Gura Gear's Kiboko series.

Summit Creative has 40l/30l bags called Tenzing, but I really know very little about it besides the photos.

Gomatic has a bunch of hiking bags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Coming back to revisit this. On local classifieds I had shotgunned a bunch of different camera backpacks on my "favorites" list and one was a Summit Creatives 30L Tenzig. The dude dropped the price down to $200 so I took that for an answer and immediately went and bought it. I have a lot of work to do on the internal core but there is plenty of space for my body with lens attached (currently 24-70) and the eventual 70-200 I hope to own along with my Mini 3 Pro/controller and misc stuff. The top is nice and roomy enough to hold snacks/water and has a roll top for added space. The front pouch barely holds my Macbook and doesn't have a lot of protection, but the laptop will only go in there for travel and when I take it to work with me.

Overall I like it but it is overwhelming with how modular it can be used (just like the Shimoda). At $200 I definitely feel like it was a good deal.

Would actually love a longer write-up on it once you've gotten to know it a bit better. Always looking for more bags.