Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Whoever said this looks like a cyberpunk version of The Raid: Redemption in the Who Greenlighted This poo poo thread was spot on. I just watched the trailer and that was the exact same vibe I got from it too. Looks loving cool, though. I'll definitely be seeing this.

Apparently the people that made The Raid started filming after Dredd did and were completely unaware of Dredd's plot until after they were close to wrapping up. I also think it's unlikely the people who made Dredd were even aware of The Raid until it was too late to change anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Are there any Judge Dredd fans here? It never really was a thing where I grew up and while I know of the principal characters - Dredd, Hershey, Cal, Death and the setting - MC1, I don't know a whole lot about it. When I saw the Stallone film, I was 10 and even then I could tell it was a piece of poo poo, but due to my lack of knowledge about the comic itself, I didn't realise how much of a crushing disappointment it was. Could someone do a quick and dirty schooling on Dredd, please?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ta, guys.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Honestly, I don't see the point with screaming bloody murder over the movie based on what is an early trailer. All we know is the basic outline of the plot and while there doesn't appear to be any of the satire that is apparently present in the comics, it's not the first time and it won't be the last time that the trailer may be misleading. Sometimes you guys are worse than the people from the "Youtube reacts to" videos.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jun 24, 2012

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

massive spider posted:

Also, I think more people catch on to the fact that Rorsharch is flawed than you might think. People can have a visceral reaction to cheer a bad guy while simultaneously knowing on some level that he's bad.

Classic example of this is at the climax of Once Were Warriors, when Jake Heke (Temuera Morrison) learns that his 13 year-old daughter was raped in his own home by his best friend Uncle Bully (Cliff Curtis) and in an uncontrollable rage, beats the poo poo out of the guy and repeatedly stomps on his groin. Jake is portrayed as a monstrous, unlikeable brute but that moment received massive cheers at the theatres in New Zealand.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

etalian posted:

It's a guilty pleasure sort of film.

If we're talking guilty pleasure Stallone films, Demolition Man at least has something going for it. The Judge Dredd movie with him in it is a piece of poo poo.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Also, please make sure to use spoiler tags. Not all of us were able to go to comic con, what with living in not-USA or even not-Northern Hemisphere so it would be a real dick thing to do to not bother with them. It's just the polite thing to do, thanks.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

Well he already specified that he would use spoilers. But yeah, I don't think anyone in the thread was even at the screening, so untagged spoilers are a big no-no.

I'm sure he won't, but there are also some real idiots with no impulse control. I had some of Cabin in the Woods ruined by an over-exited idiot in the poster thread, for example.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Some screenshots were released to a New Zealand website.

They don't reveal anything we haven't already seen, but they do give us a chance to get a better look at the detail in the film.

http://www.flicks.co.nz/special-feature/exclusive-dredd-pics

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I did a quick search and it seems they in fact did get sued by McDonalds and whatever company it is that owns Jolly Green Giant and never printing the offending pages again was part of the settlement.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

CheechLizard posted:

Dredd began development before The Raid and post production meant it ended up released afterwards.
The Raid is literally Dredd.

According to Gareth Evans, it's just a colossal coincidence and both sides were more or less oblivious of each other's plot details.

I think it came up earlier in this thread, but here's what Evans had to say.

quote:

Are you aware that the new Judge Dredd film has basically the same plot as The Raid?

Gareth Evans: Yes. It was weird, because, while we were in post on The Raid, I was telling a friend what the story was about – a bunch of guys storming a building. And he said, that’s like the new Judge Dredd movie. And I said, “What?”

He sent me a link that explained the story, and I said, “Oh God, we have to get this released very, very soon.”

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/21335/the-raid-qa-director-gareth-evans-and-star-iko-uwais

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Zzulu posted:

How is Dredd doing internationally?

I saw it at a fairly packed theatre in Auckland and it's getting a lot of press and rave reviews here because of the inherent iterest in seeing one of our own in the lead role of a big overseas production. It won't do huge numbers due to age restrictions (R18 so anyone under 18 can't see it, legally) but it will probably do fairly respectable ones.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dredd came in 5th in the NZ box office. Since it's the school holidays, Madagascar 3 and Hotel Transylvania took the top 2 spots and considering it's restricted to people aged 18 and above, it's done a respectable number.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Something about your username tells me you like Judge Dredd a bit, Aaron.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

G-III posted:

So when the hell is this coming out on Blu Ray? Dredd was easily one of the best movies of summer 2012 and I want to see it again goddamnit. :(

8th of January next year in the US, 14th of January in the UK. You can pre-order on Amazon.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Zodar posted:

It's almost like the same fascist undertones run through almost every action movie, and all Dredd has to do to satirize them is push them a little closer to the surface!

In fact, wasn't that the original intention of Judge Dredd when it was first published? I've heard it was basically a parody of Dirty Harry, with the undertones made explicit and pushed to its limit in a sci-fi setting.

Also, gonna have to echo the sentiment that the soundtrack absolutely owns.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

I suppose the most ludicrous aspect of the movie is the fact that Ma-Ma's gang declares war on the Judges. She doesn't worry about the wrath of the Hall of Justice nor the backlash from the residents after she rips through the building with the minigun. You'd never see this sort of thing happening in present day America or Britain. This usually happens in states where government control is weak or breaking down, such as Colombia or Sri Lanka.

Did you even actually watch the movie?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It's quite astounding to learn that Gavin from Rooster Teeth shot those. Kind of like when I learned that Samuel Beckett (yes, the playwright) and Andre the Giant were mates.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

And I figure that the "something else..." is just that Dredd actually cares under all that armor he carries around inside his head.

I did a bit of a read-up on the character and it appears he does do some nice things when he feels the situation calls for it, like making sure Fergee would be remembered and honoured by MegaCity-One forever by erecting giant statues of him after he played a huge part and sacrificed his own life in overthrowing Judge Cal, for example. I interpreted it as Anderson sensing that part of Dredd before being cut off.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Peven Stan posted:

Hahaha there is no way, the set pieces and characters are so similar it's scary.

I know you thought you were being clever and all, but there's no need to be a total tit, especially when you're completely in the wrong.

quote:

Are you aware that the new Judge Dredd film has basically the same plot as The Raid?

Gareth Evans: Yes. It was weird, because, while we were in post on The Raid, I was telling a friend what the story was about – a bunch of guys storming a building. And he said, that’s like the new Judge Dredd movie. And I said, “What?”

He sent me a link that explained the story, and I said, “Oh God, we have to get this released very, very soon.”

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/21335/the-raid-qa-director-gareth-evans-and-star-iko-uwais

Edit: I was unnecessarily mean here because I thought you were being a dick earlier. It was poor form. I'm sorry, Peven Stan.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 10, 2013

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I think he meant "haha no way" in the sense of "that's crazy" vs. calling everyone liars.

I guess that may have been a possibility.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Am I wrong to assume that Dredd has always been a British view of the violence that America embraces so easily, either in its media or in its real life. Dredd embodies the hyper violent, hyper masculine character that would be so popular in the following decade.

According to Wikipedia, there was an element of parodying Dirty Harry, so probably.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I find that story to be implausible. Officer Liefeld would most certainly force pouches on you as well.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tripwyre posted:

She says that it is when questioned as to why she lets the tech guy go. "I already failed when..." It's implicit that he decides otherwise in the end, but she does explicitly refer to the lawgiver as her primary weapon.

Because Dredd makes the call on it in the end, and it's fairly obvious that he's chosen to interpret the "Primary weapon" as her mind. Which it is.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I bought a copy because of this thread and I listen to it all the time.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mean Machine Angel

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

meatsaw posted:

They posture like bad guys but you've got the guy Anderson shoots that has a wife and kid, and you start to wonder what it would take to survive in this city. Again I don't know much about the Dredd universe, but if the Judges are just responding to only 6% of the crimes (and only the worst ones), I imagined the gangs were mostly armed to fight each other, and didn't even expect the police to arrive. It almost makes MC1 look like living in a prison, where you could end up in a gang for your own protection.

And this is pretty much spelled out when Dredd takes on Judges Lex and Alvarez in the slo-mo manufacturing facility.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

My focus was strictly on the events of the film. I ignored the broader picture because there was too little information. I was debating the morality and necessity of specific actions Dredd took.

Clearly your focus was not on the events of the film at all, considering the fact that the movie provided more than ample information.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It's pretty loving obvious the doctor is motivated by fear and pragmatism rather than any adherence to neutrality in the conflict.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Undead Unicorn posted:

Then why does Dredd give her a pass? Is it because even he recognizes his inability to create change?

She performed admirably in the field test, and didn't lose her primary weapon.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Anderson didn't care at that point what Dredd thought because she had already failed (by losing her weapon )

Although arguably she didn't lose her "primary weapon," which could be reasonably interpreted as "her head."

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jedit posted:

The Illustrated Screenplay is out now. 240 pages including the full pre-production version of the script and Jock's concept art.

Yeah, thanks for the heads-up. I ordered my copy from Book Depository right after you posted this and it just arrived now. It's really cool to see the props up close in the book as well and definitely worth getting.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I'm rather glad they changed the ending from what was in the script. The scripted one would've made me a bit uncomfortable.

Ma-Ma, who is scripted as being a rather portly woman, gets the jump on Anderson and Dredd when they clear her room by jumping through a ceiling mirror. Anderson takes a couple of hits. Dredd disarms Ma-Ma by tearing the gun out of her hands with so much force that it breaks her fingers, and proceeds to batter the poo poo out of her before giving her a dose of Slo-Mo, judging her and then executing her by punching her in the face so hard she goes through the window and falls to her death.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

I'm not sure how that's worse from what we got.

At least he doesn't punch her in the face repeatedly. The ending we got was toned down considerably from what was scripted.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Last Boyscout, with bonus helicopter rotor-blade blender action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

What if everyone has explosive diarrhoea on the same day? Then what? Hmm?

• Locked thread