Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

massive spider posted:

Are there any examples of a movie which bombed initially being redeemed financially through a sequel? I mean a sequel would theoritically function as an advertisement for the original as well, but I dont know if that would play out enough to make it worthwhile.

I think Austin Powers is one example. I know the second one made more in first three days of release than the first one did in it's entire theatrical run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

meatsaw posted:

Cut off from HQ, locked in, outnumbered - the totally dire situation so many movies wind up with - and it's still business as usual for him. I think that was the exact moment the film really won me over.

For John McClane, it was an impossible situation for him to overcome.

For Judge Dredd, it's just Tuesday.

I mean, you get that total vibe at the end of the film, as he walked out of Peachtrees, that he was just going to mount his Lawgiver, call Control, and proceed to the next crime.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Hewlett posted:

Yeah, we never really see Dredd overtly punish someone for non-violent crimes; he's mostly fighting the violent thugs in the beginning, only waiting to use deadly force until after they run over the "innocent," and then there's all the stuff with Ma-Ma's thugs in Peach Trees.

Don't forget, he only stunned those two juvies when he had justification to kill them.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

She performed admirably in the field test, and didn't lose her primary weapon.

She did lose her gun though.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

jabby posted:

Eh, I don't really see it. As far as I remember all her lieutenants/minions are guys and she treats them fine (apart from the techy guy, and he is more a prisoner than anything). And she mowed down men and women alike in hunting the Judges. Her motive for not torturing Anderson didn't really seem fabricated.

She took out his eyes and replaced them with implants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

TEN YEARS IN THE ISOCUBES

• Locked thread