Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Whoever said this looks like a cyberpunk version of The Raid: Redemption in the Who Greenlighted This poo poo thread was spot on. I just watched the trailer and that was the exact same vibe I got from it too. Looks loving cool, though. I'll definitely be seeing this.

I've never seen the Stallone original, so I have no point of reference as to how this compares to that one. But it looks very interesting. It seems to have this weird, unique aesthetic going on, like it's an 80s movie that's being made with contemporary technology and techniques. Even if it didn't look like it would have badass action scenes, I'd go see it just for that because the visual style makes it look very different than most action/sci-fi movies coming out nowadays.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kush posted:

It's brutal all right:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8lMmRe6Z44

I hope they don't overuse the slowmo-gimmick too much, even if it looks quite nice.

Yeah, this looks like it's gonna be entertaining as hell to watch. I can't wait!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Seeing this tonight, and really excited about it. What's the verdict on which is the better version to see, though? 2D or 3D?

I've heard that the effect where the blood splatter flies out of the frame is more pronounced in 2D than it is in 3D. True or false?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Professor Clumsy posted:

Watch it in 2-D. The effect of blood flying out of the frame happens once and it is accomplished by faking a 2.40:1 ratio in a single shot, the rest of the film is in 2.35:1.

Got it. Was it a post-converted 3D job or was this filmed in 3D? I'm guessing the former.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh, well okay then! I'll go see it in 2D. Thanks for saving me a few bucks, dudes! :)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I ended up seeing it in 3D because my local theaters only had 3 showings of the 2D version all day and they ended before I got off work :confused: Luckily, the 3D showings lasted all night.

I loving loved it. What an all around badass movie. The scenery with the stark contrast between dark, gritty and grim and bright, vibrant and super saturated, the fight scenes were completely insane and very, very gory, Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby were captivating even though Karl Urban had a mask on the entire time, there were a number of standout scenes that were unbelievably cool (Anderson loving around with the perp's head, playing crazy mind games on him, "Battle Dress" with Dredd removing the armor piercing bullet from his body and stapling himself shut, Dredd firing the incendiary grenade at the group of gang members and watching a few of them run around while burning, etc.)

Aside from The Raid, probably my favorite action movie of the whole year. Which is funny, because a large part of the plot played out like The Raid's but in a post-apocalyptic setting, which I didn't mind in the least because it was loving thrilling to watch. I'll be buying this on Blu Ray the day it came out.

As far as the 3D vs. 2D debate, I didn't feel the 3D added anything to the experience of the movie. Not even depth like a lot of post-convert jobs do. It pretty much only succeeded in adding another $3 to the ticket price. Go see this in 2D if you have the option.

edit: Oh, and Ma-Ma was kind of hot :ssh:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 22, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mulletstation posted:

Also I now own 3D glasses with "D R E D D" stamped on the side of them. So hot.

Mine are just regular RealD glasses :smith:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mulletstation posted:

D R E D D by Marc Jacobs

I would wear those in public and dish out judgement to lawbreakers.

Well, not really, but it would be pretty cool to get prescription lenses put in those and wear them as my everyday shades :v:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

marktheando posted:

Well seems like this is doing really badly in the US, lots of reports of empty screenings. Box Office Mojo says it only took $2.2 million on Friday. So I guess a sequel's looking unlikely.

Thanks a lot America. :argh:

Goddamnit :smith:

Well if it doesn't get a sequel, that'd be okay with me honestly. I like it a whole hell of a lot as a standalone movie. Just sucks that they may not make their budget back.

bobkatt013 posted:

gently caress. Well I did my part and saw it I might have to see it again.

Yeah, same here. I'll be buying it on Blu-Ray day one, too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dude was gonna get punished by Dredd anyway because Dredd told him not to be there when they came back and he was, so whether Dredd took him in / killed him or what actually happened (giant blast door slamming down on him), he got what he had coming :v:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I didn't really like the apartment mega-complex setting that the entire movie takes place in.

Why not, if you don't mind me asking? To me it seemed like the perfect representation of some kind of post-apocalyptic slum. A self-contained community, housing tons of residents as well as being a commercial hub and a medical complex and probably other stuff too.

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Also I thought they oddly shied away from showing/lingering on the gore for an R rated movie. Maybe they're saving stuff for the unrated Blu-ray release.

At the end, when Dredd threw Ma-Ma from the 200th floor and she plummeted to her death, and her face was shown splattering on the ground and blood was all over the screen, you didn't think that was gory? :raise:

Or during one of the shootouts when Dredd shoots one of the gang member kids through his right cheek and the bullet travels through his left cheek and back out again and blood flies everywhere, all in slow motion?

Or when Dredd first arrives at the Peach Trees building and he checks out the 3 guys that were thrown off the top floor at the beginning, and the cop guy pulls away the veil over one guy's head to reveal his brains leaking out of his head in pretty graphic fashion?

There were lots of deliciously gory scenes in this. I can't believe people thought this was restrained. What more did you want?

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 22, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

bobkatt013 posted:

My one problem with buying this is that it will not be in 3d and this movie was the best 3d movie I have ever seen. But I am still buying it since I love Dredd. I mean I buy trades from England just to read more.

Are you serious :stare:

The 3D added nothing to my viewing of the movie. Were we watching different 3D releases or something?

I don't think I would have missed anything seeing it in 2D.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

bobkatt013 posted:

To be fair the only 3d movie I have seen other then this is Captain America. Also the 3d made the slow mo scenes really cool.

Ahh. Well yeah, I've seen a bunch of 3D movies and the 3D in Dredd didn't even seem to add any depth like a lot of 3D movies that don't go all out with the 3D effects do.

The slomo scenes looked beautiful, yeah, but what did the 3D have to do with that? It's not like anything was coming out of the screen or given any extra depth during those scenes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

bobkatt013 posted:

Like her playing with the water and a couple of other scenes.

Unless I'm remembering those scenes incorrectly, all that could have been done the same way in 2D and 3D didn't accentuate it any.

I'm planning to see it again in 2D before it leaves theaters, so I guess I'll see then whether those scenes look drastically different without the 3D or if they're exactly the same just brighter (because RealD seems to make everything a bit dimmer, no matter what you're watching).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I was thinking along those lines but wanted to sleep on it before posting. One thing that made me think this way during the film was the gender makeup of the gangsters. Ma-ma aside, were there any woman gangsters at all?

Nah, I think there were only male gang members.

The only females in this movie were Anderson, Ma-Ma, the Chief Judge or whoever that was that Dredd was with when they're outside Anderson's cell at the beginning (and she shows up at the end too), that crooked female Judge that Anderson comes across and immediately plugs in the head because she psychically learns her intentions right off the bat, the woman whose husband Anderson killed, and whoever the female voice on the comms channel belongs to. A dispatcher, I guess?

Oh yeah, and I think there was one other that they saw in one of the hallways who shut her door immediately after seeing them walk past.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, this isn't Saw, it's Judge Dredd. It's supposed to be brutal and violent, but let's face it, it probably would have made $2 million less than it has if there was a ton more gore.

I don't know about you guys, but what we got satisfied me :shobon:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The movie showed similar types of blood splatter effects, so I'd say it was pretty faithful to the comics.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

E the Shaggy posted:

E: Also, saw the movie was bombing badly in the States :(. How's it doing overseas?

According to Box Office Mojo, between the UK and Spain, it's made like $5.2 million foreign so far. So over twice as well as here so far, but still not enough to make its budget back :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jedit posted:

It has been mentioned already, frequently. Dredd was in development before The Raid, and the director of The Raid saw the Dredd script while filming his movie. Any similarities between the two are entirely coincidental.

So if anything, The Raid ripped off Dredd? That makes me appreciate Dredd even more :v:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Come to think of it, I think the biggest laugh the movie got was at the end.

"What happened?"
"Drug bust."

In a similar vein, myself and a bunch of other people in my theater laughed heartily when the first 2 Judges that responded to the distress call were just standing outside of the blast doors, saying they couldn't get in because of a Defcon test. Then the 4 crooked Judges come along and say "open up" over the intercom and the blast doors raise without any effort :v:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jedit posted:

Yourself and a bunch of other people evidently hadn't been paying attention to the movie, then. Ma-Ma had her tech guy lie about being unable to open the doors.

No, I know. I was paying attention. It was just amusing when the doors opened and the main crooked Judge dude shot the 2 first responder guys this "the gently caress y'all been doin'?" look

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Safety Factor posted:

I saw this movie twice in theaters and I'm going to buy the blu-ray as soon as it comes out.

Sup day 1 Blu-Ray purchase buddy? :hfive:

I'm stoked to see this again, along with any special features and commentary tracks.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

How many more weeks until this is out on Blu Ray? I really want to see it again :negative:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'll buy it for 30 bucks if I have to. I'm just glad the goddamn thing is finally being released. Can't wait to re-watch it and see all the behind the scenes special features.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheJoker138 posted:

All the behind the scenes special feature. The disc is pretty bare bones.

Aw damnit :smith: Maybe a special edition will get released in the future?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vintersorg posted:

Also: "C'est de la Bombe" :canada:

:laffo:

I picked up the Blu-Ray at lunch. The work day cannot end fast enough :negative:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy loving god, this sound mix :circlefap:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Watching the behind-the-scenes stuff and it's really awesome how much of the movie was practical effects. Dredd's gun was real and designed around a basic 9mm, Dredd's motorbike was real and designed around a 500cc, Mega City One is just real-world shots of Johannesburg with some digital painting over them, people getting shot during the Slow-Mo scenes were blown with giant blasts of compressed air to give them that look like they'd just gotten hit by something high-impact, etc.

I know some review(s) said this Blu-Ray was barebones but I don't feel like that at all. The special features on here are pretty interesting. Plus the video quality and audio quality loving blew me away and I felt like I was back watching this in the theater again while watching the Blu-Ray. I don't feel ripped off at all.

For anyone on the fence about buying it, buy it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dr Cheesequake posted:

mind-blowing soundtrack

You ain't lyin'! It's like the Half-Life soundtrack combined with ambient type stuff that sends shivers down your spine in a good way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbTzhBMouVs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8c1DcC9jJA

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Yes! This was the best part of the movie to me. Every shot involving him simply staring at something and us seeing the reflection in his visor was awesome.

I didn't even realize until my second viewing last night that when Dredd & Anderson are looking at the layout of the Peach Trees on a computer screen at the beginning, you can see their reflections in the screen. It wasn't like a weird glare or anything though, it fit really well. Such a nice touch.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Also: this movie's visuals are very weak when not in 3D and the "cheap" special effects are way more obvious on 2D. This movie was from the ground up designed to be viewed in 3D.

Well it was filmed in 3D.

I saw it in 3D in theaters and loved it. Watched the Blu-Ray in 2D and loved it. I didn't think the lack of 3D cheapened it at all. Though the 3D effect was cool as hell in the theater.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They both have their own strengths. The Raid had masterfully choreographed fight scenes while Dredd had style oozing out of every orifice.

Not that Dredd's fight scenes were bad, or The Raid had no style, but the respective movies have their distinct strong suits.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

blackguy32 posted:

I can't get this until payday, which is next friday :(

Your boss isn't the law, you are the law.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

fenix down posted:

It's a mega-block.
800 million people living in the ruin of the old New York City. Only one thing fighting for order in the chaos: A blind Ben Affleck.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Payndz posted:

Watching the BR at home, I was surprised this time by the colour palette, which I didn't really pick up on in the cinema. In The Raid, everything is blue and grey and washed-out, while Dredd is extremely colourful - but it's all oversaturated and clashing and almost sickly. I genuinely wondered if I'd accidentally left my TV on its 'game' setting, but nope, it was still on 'cinema'.

Yeah, it almost reminded of Hobo With A Shotgun and other grindhouse movies like it in that it's a combination of really dirty and grimy, and then all of a sudden super colorful.

I love that style.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Can we talk about this guy?

I think we need to talk about this guy.

Is this the same guy that gets blown up by the rocket launcher in Punisher War Zone while parkour jumping across rooftops?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheJoker138 posted:

That War Zone game...much like the movie itself I like to pretend it doesn't exist.

This opinion......this is a wrong opinion :colbert:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I have no idea what the quality of the game is like, but Punisher War Zone is one of the most hilarious comedies of the past decade and I don't understand when people fail to see that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The recent developments in this thread caused me to order the Punisher: War Zone Blu-Ray on Amazon after I realized I didn't already have it :allears:

So thanks, TheJoker138. You saying you hated it made me want to rewatch it to reaffirm my love for it, only to realize that it wasn't already part of my collection. And now that's being rectified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheJoker138 posted:

Happy to be of service. This reminds me that I need to pick up the 2004 Punisher movie on blu ray one of these days. And that I'm still angry the 89 one has never had a proper director's cut release over here...

I still need to watch the '89 Punisher one of these days! I've seen the 2004 one a bunch of times, but never seen the Lundgren Punisher. It's been on my list for years but I always forget it exists.

• Locked thread