Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
What causes the Louis Letrush glitches, anyway? It's only ever him, so I'm guessing it's something about his scripting or reference ID, but it's just so weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is so broken that even today people are finding new glitches. This was found I think last week; somebody had, somehow, spawned a giant dancing werewolf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCpLWkHIJ-E

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Semi-crossposting this from the City of Heroes thread, because this came up, but I have a favorite recent one from Champions Online. I can say a lot of bad things about that game, but perhaps a backhanded compliment I can give is that it doesn't half-rear end things going wrong. If they have to perform maintenance because the game chat is acting up, it's not 'oh it's cutting off messages' or 'the profanity filter isn't working'. When CO chat is acting up, nobody in the game can say anything. This actually happened I think last year, for a weekend nobody could send any messages because their new voice chat system somehow broke the text chat too.

But that isn't what I'm bringing here, although it is pretty good. A few weeks ago, the game introduced a new event, the Mega-Destroid Invasion. Where Doctor Destroyer, the big evil Doctor Doom-style supervillain and main antagonist, pushed a full-scale invasion. The big focus was an attack by the Mega-Destroid robots on Champions HQ, of course, which needed multiple teams to go up against it. Most of this is hearsay, I didn't participate in it because it was up for one day, before it had to go down to fix an issue.

The issue? Somehow, some part of the main fight would revert people's characters to level 1. That's it, all your progress, somehow completely erased. It gets worse, too; outside of the tutorial, level 1s don't exist, the lowest level player or enemy possible otherwise is level 6. So that's it, you're hosed, until support comes to help you you're completely incapable of doing anything.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Red_Mage posted:

I believed Bethesda was making that poo poo up until it happened to me firsthand with ED-E in FO:NV. Basically if you got a follower stuck somewhere, they'd leave your party and go back to their town. Well when ED-E did this, he had all my poo poo. He goes back to the town with a bunch of my food. I'd fast travel there to go pick him up and (according to the devs) while I am loading in someone tries to loot ED-E for food, which triggers him hostile and puts him in a war against all the townsfolk. I had to revert to a really old save and abandon ED-E to keep playing that game.

Apparently, this specific variant of the glitch happened because ED-E was mistakenly considered a container. The AI doesn't pickpocket under normal circumstances.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I once had Disgaea on the PS2 screw up while saving and completely erase my memory card. On Christmas Eve.

It's always hard to recover from the loss of a save, but it is possible :unsmith:

My friend accidentally erased my Sonic Advneture 2 Chao Garden. There is no recovering from that.

The only thing worse is losig a Pokemon save, which has happened to me... multiple times.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Hell there was one half-way through Chrono Trigger, in the monster town.

If you keep doing things to piss off a particular NPC in Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, he does the same thing.

Banjo-Kazooie threatens it too if you use too many cheats to bypass in-game obstacles, but they're not bluffing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
EDIT: gently caress, the forums bugged out for a moment there. Content, uhm...

The Crooked Cartridge trick was kind of neat for N64 games. By easing out one side of the cartridge, you could cause all manner of fun glitches.

Mario 64 gets possessed by demons.

For Goldeneye, it causes breakdancing, which resulted in the 'Get Down' meme on the Japanese corners of the internet.

Ocarina of Time had the most interesting repercussions, though. On top of just freaking the gently caress out in general, it also removed boundaries that would otherwise be there. That meant that people could bypass the 'do you have a sword' check or the 'have you beaten the Deku Tree' check in Kokiri forest, allowing them to pass into the rest of the game without a sword. It was the least safe yet most 'reliable' way to cause a Swordless Link situation (I believe there were two other ways to go around swordless, but they were fixed in later versions; the cartridge tilting wasn't), wich had its own fun quirks.

Completing a Zelda game without your sword is loving hard, as you might imagine. But if you at least get far enough to get Epona, you get the bonus that, for some reason, you can now use any of your weapons on horseback. Which had its own amount of fun.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 08:32 on Feb 22, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Big Slick posted:

Awhile back these guys used that glitch and another one which I still cant really fathom, and beat Ocarina of Time in under 23 minutes

Oh my god, that is amazing. That's my new favorite speedrun. I think my favorite part is the appearance of the Ocarina Items glitch, because thinking back that was one of my old 'party trick' glitches when I was in school.

Does anyone know of any other speedruns like that? Just using a bunch of different, completely unrelated bugs discovered throughout the years to completely break the game juuuuuust right?

EDIT: I bet there's enough good ones for a 'PYF Speedruns' thread, actually.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

RatHat posted:

There's a spell in Skyrim that freezes you for a while, and you just topple over. Well, if you go fast enough while like that(like down a mountain for instance) the physics go bonkers. There's one notable NPC that can freeze you, and he happens to be on top of the biggest mountain in the game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGf3KRMOQkk

So does Bethesda's engine just freak the gently caress out when an object surpasses a certain velocity/ Because this seemed to be going just fine until gravity stopped mattering.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

I can't understand a thing he's doing in most of these columns, but I loving love the gifs.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Somfin posted:

That is just fantastic, I had no idea that's how they pulled off that effect. Like, it seems obvious now, but it was damned impressive at a distance.

Pretty much every game that has a big battle going on does stuff like this. To me the most impressive was when Kingdom Hearts 2 managed to have you fight through a thousand enemies in one fight. It probably used the same method for the most part, but I'm not sure.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Chamale posted:

I contributed a video to that LP as well (the tool-assisted speedrun). A lot of the fun glitches like Missingno. are a result of the game refusing to crash even when it loads bad data, so it just processes some other part of the memory as if it were a Pokemon and starts a battle against that. Unless the game does something like divide by zero or try to search the RAM for a value that doesn't exist, it's content to keep going without crashing until gameplay either returns to normal or something does make it crash.

Seeing Pokemon Blue dismantle itself like that is great, because it actually does pretty well at explaining what happens when you cause a program to crash (since causing these same things to a more stable game would just cause crashes). Pokemon might be complex under the hood, but it's fairly simple in its outward appearance and pretty widely familiar, so it's pretty easy to grasp the bugs it's spitting out.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Somfin posted:

This is a good one to watch and it fits the thread because he literally outruns the game's rendering code. He's simply moving too fast- parts of the level load in as gibberish.

And fittingly enough, it's Sonic games that still carry this bug. Here's Pokecapn's Sonic Generations LP showing off a stupidly fast time on one of the longer stages by bypassing a whole section of the level, and all the texture loading triggers therein.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmpc8lOkMTY&t=494s

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Nah, this is different. Chaos Edition is essentially randomly rewriting the game's code as he's playing it. It's sort of an offshoot of corruptions, where random bytes of the game code are altered beforehand.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
A video of this in action, if you excuse his shaky video recording:

http://youtu.be/OhgUm-DG5OY

He's literally the only person with this glitch, so he might well have one of the most valuable copies of a video game there is. It's certainly a fascinating anomaly.

I think my favorite part is that Sonic literally turns into Sanic Hedgehog.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Daktar posted:

I got myself Hack 'n' Slash from the Steam sale, and its entire gimmick is based around glitching things out by editing object variables and such. You start off just being able to change basic properties, like for a gate you can change its state to closed or open. Eventually you get the ability to change the game's LUA scripts, presented as a kind of flowchart puzzle thing, which if you're like me means you introduce fatal errors. Do that, and the game gives you the actual error message and dumps you back to the last good state. And then you get bombs that can change the scripts behind nearly any object in the game. I'm still trying to figure out the damage I can do with that.

wait, that's what that game is about? Wish I'd bought it now...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The talk of Skyrim bugs reminded me of Oblivion's item duplication bugs. I know how they work, but I can't for the life of me figure out why they work that way.

The one that worked all the time and was never patched out happened if you equip a scroll that you've got more than one of, and then drop an item while still in the same menus. Some wires get crossed, and when you unpause you've now cloned the dropped item by as many as the amount of scrolls you equipped. I could never get this to work beyond making a second copy of a single item, but I know you could.

There was another one, very similar, that did get fixed, though. If you drop an item, and then immediately shoot it with an arrow, then for some reason the item would be duplicated by the amount of the type of arrow you used... and you're usually carrying hundreds of arrows. Since the duplication happens after the arrow's stopped traveling, and the easiest way to land this specific shot was by lookig up, your items would literally rain down on you from above. Unfortunately, I can't find any videos of this anymore.

EDIT: vv I'm terrible at serching those sorts of things. All the search terms I tried just came up with people explaining the scroll glitch.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 03:28 on Dec 26, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

HellCopter posted:

There actually was an exploit like this on modern consoles: The Smash Stack. For a while it was possible to jailbreak your Wii with Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Putting a certain file on an SD card and trying to access it as a custom stage would basically give it free reign to do whatever it wanted to the Wii.

The same thing is still possible to boot up Project M in Brawl, and the predecessor to that was a similar setup with Twilight Princess to get access to what became the Homebrew Channel.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

FredMSloniker posted:

I dunno. I thought his articles were cool at first, but it feels like he's retreading ground now. 'I put in these impossible numbers, and the game took a poo poo.' Not to mention his most recent Super Bowl special sounded like he'd come to hate football and was only writing the article because it was his job.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's just run out of ideas and inspiration. There's only so much you can do to gently caress with sports games.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Pneub posted:

Sonic 3D Blast "cheat code":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvjA4PlNYkw

When you get a fatal error it kicks you into the level select screen for some reason.

Gotta have something to handle errors! It's actually the same as the Chris Houlihan room in LttP, they're both crash protection of a sort.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

West Ham Sandwich posted:

But that's the "point" of speedrunning. That glitch will shave between 5 and 45 seconds off a run, depending on how specifically they use it. That's entirely worth trying to replicate, for a speedrunner.

Something to keep in mind with this, too, is that while this particular exhibition of the glitch might only be useful for 100% runs at best, if the conditions of the glitch are such that it can be pulled off in other places then it could be massively useful. Any% runs still have to do the Bowser stages, which are pretty heavily vertical. Being able to replicate this warp in those stages could do wonders for shaving off what's currently the bottleneck.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I don't even own the game and that offends me. At least bethesda actually knows when glitches need to stay in the game.

Actually, even Bethesda usually removes game-breaking bugs like that one. Stuff like Oblivion's arrow-duplication glitch usually gets removed, because it trivializes the difficulty and devalues the game experience. The bugs they specifically intend to keep are things like the Giant Space Program in Skyrim, where the result doesn't actually hurt the gameplay since whatever got killed is already dead. Don't ask me how the Enchanting-Alchemy Loop stayed, though, that poo poo's egregious given how the rest of the game was designed. Technically not a bug, though.

Still, this sort of bug is something I'd expect the developers to fix in almost all cases, since as funny as it is it really does hurt the game as a package. Even Sonic Boom patched out the infinite-height glitch, although in that case I should argue they shouldn't have since that was accidentally really good game design.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 08:50 on Oct 12, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Your Computer posted:

- Bethesda is no longer using Gamebryo and the hilarious bugs and jankiness comes from their inability to program, not from the underlying engine.

Actually, to my knowledge their current engine (or at least the one Skyrim used) is based on Gamebryo in much the same way that the Source engine is based on Quake.

Gamebryo's always been one of those really open engines, though. I know games like Epic Mickey and Civ IV used it too, so it's still not really Gamebryo's fault. Bethesda Game Studios just doesn't sweat making their engine 'work' by conventional standards.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Somfin posted:

It's the From Software thing- people want what they're making, and they're the only ones making it, so their poo poo sells like hotcakes even if it kinda sucks in a couple of important ways.

It's the same thing that got Rockstar rolling, too, and Platinum Games has arguably got the same thing.

The thing that separates Bethesda from even that crowd is that for some reason, nobody even tries to compete with them. GTA had to deal with a slew of copycats, some of which have endured and become genuine competitors. The entire industry has tried and largely failed to follow Dark Souls, and a few straight imitators have cropped up. And every so often you do see an action game try to take notes from Platinum (although usually those companies just ask Platinum to make the game instead).

But for whatever reason everyone's looked at the commercial success of basically every Bethesda title since Oblivion, the goddamn frenzy that surrounds them at this point, and gone 'you guys can have that whole pie, we're fine without a slice'. Sure you see a couple games sneakily borrow a feature or two, maybe it'll generally 'smell' a bit similar, but anybody making a western RPG is more picking a fight with Bioware, nobody bothers to stand up and try to be the next Skyrim. The Witcher, maybe, but that's never felt like the same thing to me.

That of course means that Bethesda's off doing their own poo poo, and there's no competition to either force them to step up their game or to provide an alternative. I feel like Fallout 4 might be an attempt to stop themselves from stagnating, but rather than fix the problems people actually have with their games they're trying to take cues from the games that are 'sort of but not really' competing with them. But it's unlikely that they'll get proper feedback if this is properly a bad move (personally I think it is), because where the hell else are their audience gonna go?

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 16:04 on Nov 13, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Speaking of Fallout - is it like other Bethesda games where you can get all min/max and break the game over your knees by making stuff with ridiculously insane stats?

Skyrim had the enchanting/alchemy feedback loop which let you make weapons and armour so powerful they caused overflow errors.

Oblivion had the super crafting menu that let you make poo poo like a ring which made anyone who wore it light on fire and slowly burn to death.

Fallout's always been a lot more confined than that. Not to say you can't be stupidly overpowered, it's just that there's no mechanisms to make things that do five-digit damage every second or something. Fallout 4's got some pretty heavy customization going on, which I can already see is a really fun system, but I doubt it's as absurdly broken.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
My highlight of AGDQ as I've seen it is discovering a new favorite glitch: Infinite Speed in Metroid Prime. I didn't expect 'become one with the universe' to be an actual step in a speedrun.

This link goes to the explanation before the glitch is actually done at around the 37 minute mark.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Didn't that exact same glitch happen in Street Fighter X Tekken?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Project X Zone is a pretty solid Japanese strategy RPG without waifus.

It's anime as gently caress, and somehow has even more tits than you'd imagine from a game that's got both God Eater and Darkstalkers representation, but the actual game is still pretty rock-solid.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Yeah, XCOM is basically the opposite of that, actually, it's all about systematically learning and responding to whatever the game throws at you. It's still important to have glitches fixed there, because you need to be sure that what's going on is going to work right, but it's also a very hard sort of game to debug for the same reason.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

BlueKingBar posted:

Isn't this like half the reason Sonic keeps getting his grave dug deeper and deeper? I know for sure this is why Sonic 2006 was such a shitshow, but I think Sonic Boom might've gotten the old "whoops our boss forced us to release a mostly untested alpha" treatment too.

It's the shortest possible summary for what happened to 2006 and Rise of Lyric, but it doesn't really describe the totality of what happened. For the whole Sonic 2006 story, Andrea Ritsu did a great summary of the events that led up to it that can basically be summarized as mismanagement on all possible levels. I don't really know the story behind Rise of Lyric either, but if an anonymous Games Done Quick donation can be believed they had a dangerously low amount of testers, which sounds about right.

Something I find fun about Sonic development is that, somehow, there aren't actually a lot of common themes. Instead, Sonic's been going for so long and had such weird development cycles that everything bad that could happen to a game in development has happened at some point. Sonic games have been forced to be made on low budgets, had content stolen from them, been subject to too much executive meddling, too little executive meddling, rested on its laurels too long, tried to innovate too hard, and a whole host of other incidents. The only incident I've ever heard of a person working so hard they almost died happened on a Sonic game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
My favorite Bethesda physics was when I was playing a heavily modded Oblivion, which included Midas Magic, a massive and awesome magic mod. My favorite spell in that was Astral Combat, which would teleport you and your target to a cell that was just a small floating island; you'd go back to where you were by jumping off, so the idea was that you'd vanish with one enemy, handle them one on one, and then go back to the action.

Since it was always the same cell, and that cell was actually a 'base' of sorts for the mod, I started taking enemies' weapons and shields when they died there and just piling them up on a corner of the island. Those items persisted, and I used Astral Combat a lot, so that pile got pretty big. Eventually though, one of the shields flipped out, sending most of the pile flying off into nothingness.

It was actually pretty awesome, but I remember being pissed at the time. I liked that pile!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Regular Nintendo posted:

Does anyone have a link to that slide where it calls autistic developers "unicorns" that companies hang onto at all costs bc they have no social lives and thus can be worked to death (their sentiments not mine)

I'm not surprised to hear this exists, I feel like I've faced similar in my own work with a software developer, I'm the only one that my boss has actually gotten mad about not working overtime; my work gets done, he just hates that I don't work late to do it. I always put it to me being the only person in the team without a family ('what do you have to leave at 5pm for, you don't have children'), but now that you've mentioned I can easily imagine that he's frustrated that the person he hired on the spectrum doesn't work like they expect them to.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 01:39 on Apr 5, 2019

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Compare that to streaming of TV shows and movies where every loving company wants to have their own service and stuff appears and vanishes on the main ones so often you have no clue what's even available at any given moment. No way in hell you'll pay for a subscription to all of them especially when you don't even know if you'll be able to watch what you want to see at any random moment. Then sometimes stuff will just plain not be available anywhere for streaming even if it's popular. Piracy of that stuff is up massively last I heard specifically because it can be so difficult to find legitimately people get frustrated, give up, and roll the dice with torrents.

And that sort of stuff actually goes up exponentially for countries outside the U.S., especially when the shows are imported from other countries.

Australia's a hotbed of it because of the nature of both our streaming and TV station setup just not being consumer-friendly, especially for the big shows. The famous one is Game of Thrones of course (only showed on the streaming service you only get with a cable subscription, and with a delay on top of that I believe), but I feel like the best way to illustrate just how hosed up the actual landscape can be is probably the Arrowverse from the CW. Because they cross over quite often, you probably want to have access to all of them, but the problem is...

-Netflix owns the rights to show Arrow, and also Black Lightning if you count it.
-The first two seasons of The Flash are on Stan, the streaming service that's joint-owned by all our big free-to-air stations.
-The other seasons of The Flash, as well as Legends of Tomorrow, are on Foxtel Go, the streaming service you can only get supplementary to a cable subscription.
-And Supergirl is available on none of them. It airs on a cable channel, but if you want to watch it legally by your own schedule then your only option is iTunes or DVDs.

And yet when it comes to video games, the only time you really see a tangible uptick in Australian piracy/VPN usage are the rare times when content is censored or removed because our gaming classification is still pretty stringent.

This is basically entirely unrelated to the subject at hand, but Australia's media landscape kinda really sucks, yo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I thought there was an episode of Commander Keen that was effectively lost because the shareware approach meant nobody had it, but I can't find any evidence of that.

When checking that I did find out that apparently Keen Dreams, and only Keen Dreams, is on Nintendo Switch, though. I think that counts for this thread, because there had to be some glitch in reality to cause that to happen.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

spongeh posted:

The rights to Keen Dreams was purchased by a person who eventually got banned from Steam from renaming their company on Steam to "Gayben's flatulent rear end in a top hat"

...well, okay then. I guess that's an explanation.

That kinda makes me wonder how much the rights to random, obscure shareware-era games are now. I'm sure it's still a lot, but it feels like a great weird novelty to own the rights to something like Crystal Caves.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Krankenstyle posted:

Crystal Caves will never fall into the public domain. Maybe it could be like that old term "abandonware" which is not a real legal concept, but is supposed to mean "software that nobody cares if it gets pirated"...

Oh, I'm not saying 'I want to have these games fall into the public domain', although I do agree that's a good thing to have happen. I'm saying that I want to legally own the rights to some old, random, esoteric game that nobody fully remembers but might know the title of, just to say that I do.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Zore posted:

Its basically completely identical in 4.

The only real difference I can remember is that 3 and NV had a dedicated section for keys, while 4 didn't.

So 4 was worse.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The thing that makes the SRIV glitchiness work, to me, is that the game itself never calls attention to it. It happens, it's intentional, to a degree it's unmissable, but the game never forces it center-stage.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

mmj posted:

I want to see the prototype of Sonic 06. That vinesauce guy wouldn't even have to gently caress with the code to break it in half

It turns out Sonic 06's prototype actually works better than the released game.

You think I'm making a joke but it's true. The earliest playable version of the game shown at conferences was done by a specific team whose whole job was making that slice of the game look and play well, but none of their work was folded into the game itself. I don't think we have that build, but we do have footage of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

mmj posted:

That actually makes a lot of sense. Do you remember what zone they were showing off? I watched the Retsupurae LP of that game and it was so dire. It makes for some great speed runs though

It was Kingdom Valley, that grassy ruins stage. That was also I think the only zone they were ever showing off before release, which says a lot about how well they regarded the rest of that game even when it was being made.