Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/NoThatsTooLow/status/1616842917586378752

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The Final Fantasy 6 any% speedrun involves dying 52 times in a row just outside the first town, and then a frame-perfect button press to trigger the credits.

(It's a memory corruption glitch of some sort, apparently)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I assume it has something to do with needing to combine a very complicated animation system with some degree of having characters interact with the scenery. A character tries to get put into a pose or animation that's not appropriate for the location they're in, and things get weird from there.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Sentient Data posted:

That's the first I've seen of Street Fighter 6, and it looks gorgeous. Absolutely stellar art direction and animation

They aged up a bunch of the characters and are also going for a less stylized aesthetic than in previous games. Like, Zangief is still 8' tall and has limbs the size of tree trunks, but he also has a nonzero body fat percentage. Makes him look even stronger, honestly. And yeah, the game looks great.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Carthag Tuek posted:

wait i thought that was sandboxes?

Sandboxes are goal-less, or at the very least very undirected. loving around in the sandbox is expected to be the majority of the game, and you're mostly doing it for its own sake or in service of some very long-term objective. An imsim will present you with more concrete goals like "there's a guy on the other side of this broken door that you need to talk to", which motivate the moment-to-moment gameplay of messing with enemy AI, using your tools to open, break, or bypass barriers, or just shooting things.

PurpleXVI posted:

But in, say, Deus Ex, with the right build, you can absolutely do some action hero poo poo, and the same goes for later-game Prey, and Dishonoured 1 and 2, and System Shock 1 and 2... most of them, really.

Incidentally, I once played the first Deus Ex game with a rule that I had to drop everything I was carrying before loading into a new map. It's totally doable, though you need to make your peace with the fact that most of the time your only weapon will be the assault rifle. Turns out that with enough levels in the relevant skill, that weapon becomes ridiculously good.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
God, those explosion effects look so good.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

I'm mad that they called a framerate-dependent bug a "race condition". That's not a race condition!

Also, I can't believe that they spent months of dev effort on this instead of just shrugging and adding a script to the bunsen burner level to force the matches into your inventory.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

That would have been a lot easier but also resulted in some players missing the candle level entirely, although they didn't realize that level was being skipped until the very end, sounds like.

I definitely get the impulse to figure out exactly why some weird bug is happening rather than just putting an ad hoc patch in for it, though; who knows what other side effects are lurking in the dark?

Oh yeah, I'd hate to leave the mystery unsolved. But also, when launch is looming? I'm shocked they had the time/energy budget to spend on a deep dive into this one issue.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

It wasn't reported until after launch, and then only by a tiny minority of players on one specific platform, so...

Ah, my mistake, for some reason I had the impression it was a prelaunch bug. Reading comprehension is not with me lately, it seems.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I assume they made a "go to next level" trigger because that way they could just copy-paste it from one level to the next and it'd keep working. I can just about guarantee that if they'd had it be "go to level X" instead, then they would've shipped with a bug where sometimes when you hit the end-of-level trigger, you'd end up at the wrong level afterwards.

The correct solution would probably be to stop processing events as soon as the load-level trigger is hit...but depending on how exactly loading is implemented, that might not be feasible. For example, if an in-engine cutscene needs to play, that might require the level to remain "active" in a way that makes processing events still necessary.

Game dev sucks sometimes :negative:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Dabir posted:

Yep, Forbidden Memories is notorious for its already pretty scuffed rules just going out the window when the AI decides it's time to drop Meteor Black Dragon on you whether you like it or not.

World Championship 2004, also for GBA, has a real great AI bug. One of the most powerful cards in the history of the game, banned to this day, is Snatch Steal. Equip to an opponent's monster, and you take control of it as long as Snatch Steal sticks around. Your opponent gets an extra 1000 LP every turn in exchange, but if you're playing the card right, that's not going to make up for the on-field advantage you're gaining from it. It got unbanned a few years ago, then was swiftly rebanned because it swings games just that hard.

Almost every single AI deck in WC2004 has Snatch Steal. But that's actually a good thing for you, because, get this, the AI doesn't know how to use Snatch Steal. No, I don't mean they play it badly. I mean they do not have the ability to play this card. If they draw it, they will never, ever activate it. It's staying in their hand until the end of the game.

This tangentially reminds me of the game Card City Nights 2, which is a fairly silly game about an in-universe CCG, i.e. all of the NPCs are mad about card games, you get into matches with them, win/buy new cards, customize your deck, etc. Once you've beaten the game, you unlock some special modes, one of which is Mirror. In this mode, you have to beat all of your opponents by using their own decks against them. This turns out to be really quite difficult early on, because so many of the early opponents have such utterly atrocious decks. They're stuffed with cards that do nothing but take up space, and have minimal damage potential, let alone combo potential. Oftentimes it comes down to very carefully timing things so that your opponent decks themselves (takes damage from being unable to draw cards) before you do. It's a weirdly compelling puzzle that I was not expecting when I played Mirror mode.

Late-game mirror matches are more interesting in a conventional sense, i.e. you have to figure out how your opponent's deck works, so that you can use it more effectively than they do.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
At the other end of the scale is the AI for Final Fantasy Tactics. People have modded drastically different skills and spells into that game, and the AI is able to make intelligent use of pretty much all of them. It still can't plan worth beans, but when it comes to picking good moves on a turn-by-turn basis, it does quite well.

(I'm basing this mostly on this defunct/stalled LP of an FFT hack; I've never played the game myself)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Game development is hard, animations involving more than one character are hard, combining animations with physics is hard, and I'd wager those games don't have nearly enough programmers on top of all that. And the devs they do have are all allocated to making this year's cool feature that will encourage fans to buy the new game instead of sticking with the previous one.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

are we just ignoring the part where they hide the character model and put a png of a scope on the screen without changing literally anything else or

I mean, the only thing I'd consider changing about it is tweaking the field of view a bit to better-sell "zoomed in". Otherwise, this is very similar to how the binoculars work in my game, Waves of Steel.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Dabir posted:

A couple of months ago, Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis added a housing feature where you can build basically whatever you like on a private island. This week, they added a whole bunch of new parts, including a floor hatch that swings open. Most parts, including this hatch, can be resized separately in all three axes. So here's what happens when you resize the floor hatch in a couple of different ways.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/114790019952017409/1138427887385591908/sa0tdo.mp4

Fantastic :allears: The hatch has an animation, which means that it's a rigged mesh instead of a static one. And the bones on the rig only got their scale adjusted when they're in their idle pose, so when the animation plays, they smoothly revert to their default scale.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Large Testicles posted:

Isn’t that every person with balls weak point?

Some people have prosthetic balls. I imagine those probably hurt less when abused. But getting nailed in the crotch is still not going to be a fun time for any human.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
At least some people blaze through games ASAP because they want to be part of The Discourse about the game without being spoiled about its contents. The faster they finish the game, the sooner they can start yammering about it. It's a way to turn even singleplayer games into a social thing.

As for bugginess of games on launch: it's important to remember just how much more complex games are these days. Teams are gigantic and tools (and the audience's hardware) are vastly more capable, so games are bigger and more complicated. Of course there's going to be more bugs on launch. But also, your nostalgia goggles are on. Lots of games made it through QA to launch despite being buggy piles of crap, even on Nintendo hardware. We mostly don't remember them because they sucked, but they absolutely existed.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Missingno is also an extremely elegant failure, where garbage data is loaded and the game sanitizes inputs well enough that it just doesn't matter at all unless you use specific player names which have been reverse-engineered to do specific things (mostly crash the game, but specifically).

sanitized inputs, lol

It was extraordinarily rare for games of that era to sanitize anything. After all, you know exactly where everything is in memory. Just don't gently caress up your code and things will work fine. Pokemon in particular had no spare room for anything extra; they were under some insane space constraints. The fact that Missingno usually doesn't crash the game is dumb luck, not error-tolerant coding.

For reference, if they did sanitize inputs, the result would probably be something like "oh, you tried to load an invalid Pokemon, uhhhh here fight an L1 Bulbasaur instead". In other words, the game would recognize that it was trying to access/use garbage data, and would pivot to something that's absolutely not correct, but is at least safe.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Lufia 2 is an amazing roguelike that for some reason has a fairly substantial JRPG in front of it.

In other news:

https://twitter.com/MothNessMonster/status/1695240720813363211

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Dropbear posted:

the whole thing felt like a really flimsy house of cards.

I see you've played videogames before.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

I'm well aware that the problem is that modern developers are financially incentivized to have a reach that well exceeds their grasp, whereas developers of the era I'm talking about were actual software developers with standards who could never survive in today's market and thought (apparently incorrectly) that good, stable software would sell better.

Speaking as a modern developer, you can gently caress right off with that poo poo.

EDIT: to expand: not only are you colossally wrong, you're also an idiot. Modern developers work their asses off and are at least as capable as developers from 30 years ago. The theory of software development is further advanced, the tools are more capable, and frankly the developers from 30 years are are still making games but now have 30 years' more experience to draw from.

Take those rose-tinted goggles off your face and shove them up your rear end.

TooMuchAbstraction has a new favorite as of 22:42 on Aug 26, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Owl Inspector posted:

I prefer most glitchless/no OOB/no skip kind of runs for this reason, there can be an interesting technical explanation for why rubbing your nose into a wall at a very specific angle instantly takes you to the credits but it's much less interesting to actually watch than seeing the strategy for routing through levels, simply playing the game "normally" at a high skill level to do it fast, tricks to gain speed without actually going OOB, etc

While I usually agree with you, there are definitely runs where playing the game "normally" is a lot less interesting. Super Pitfall, for example, is a pretty lousy game, but the speedrun is silly fun because it gives the game exactly as much respect as it deserves. There's a GDQ run by, if I recall correctly, Klaige, which is worth watching. I'd link it but I'm phoneposting right now.

Sometimes you'll get runs where the run category specifically limits which tricks can be used, typically so that "boring" parts of the game (e.g. autoscrollers) can be skipped while leaving as much of the remainder intact as possible. My memory is failing me for examples, but it definitely does happen. Usually only for games that are popular and where the any% run is completely busted, though.

EDIT: Here's the Super Pitfall run

TooMuchAbstraction has a new favorite as of 22:24 on Aug 27, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI posted:

It was not, as I recall it, impossible, but it was unlikely for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, if I remember right, a couple of quest chains were "dead ends." I don't think they prevented you from completing the game, but they, either intentionally or not, just took resources and quest items and then went "lol, lmao."

Secondly, the loving dungeon design. See, except for very few dungeons, like the very first one, none of them were handcrafted in any sense of the word. The remainder were all smushed together out of pre-made chunks that made them completely nonsensical nightmares. I think that a given dungeon might've been the same layout from playthrough to playthrough but where objectives were in the dungeon was also randomized, so guides were also useless. In addition to this, the dungeon "seams" had a habit of dumping you into the void outside of geometry to the point that Bethesda later released a patch... which didn't fix the holes but instead gave you a quick-key to teleport yourself back to the last location you touched that was in-bounds.

Daggerfall was an excellent example of the promise and risks of procedural generation. Its world is vastly bigger than even modern open-world games! ...and there's basically nothing in it. The towns are all basically only differentiated by which shops they procedurally spawn with. And the dungeons are nightmarish 3D labyrinths:

Have fun navigating that in first person!

The neat thing is that you can still, to this day, just go to a random point on the map and stand decent odds of being the first person to explore that section of the game world. It's a meaningless accomplishment, of course. Daggerfall is one of the earlier examples of a game whose developers' reach vastly exceeded their grasp.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Sentient Data posted:

1000% agreed, I wish playaround was a more common genre. I'm not anti-glitch, narrated tas videos breaking down how bugs work and why specific paths were taken can be a like of fun too

https://youtu.be/Prnur9J8p_8?feature=shared

OH NO! OWN GOAL?!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Doc Hawkins posted:

i know that part, im saying why was development time and cartridge memory spent on dog sprites. all just for to have that cheat code?

Usually this kind of thing is driven by one dev doing it because it's fun. It sounds like a waste of time and effort, but the stresses of game development sometimes mean that your choices are "add something silly as a way to de-stress" or "do nothing at all as a way to de-stress".

A lot of the silly jokes in Waves of Steel were added on Friday afternoon, when I was too exhausted to do real work.

As for cartridge space, your cartridge size steps in fixed-size increments, like 256kB at a time. It's not precisely fit to the amount of content you have. Depending on how the rest of the game shakes out, it's easily possible for there to be a spare block of memory big enough to fit an easter egg into.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
"Working as implemented"

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

Wasn't that the case in GTA3 also?

I feel like I'm always shooting at moons with sniper rifles and I guess this is why

The phrasing isn't entirely clear, but I think they mean "I put the feature into the original GTA3, and it was still in the engine as of GTA3:SA"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
A bit of backstory: in Deep Rock Galactic, there's ambient critters in the caves in addition to the bugs that try to kill you. One ambient critter is the Loot Bug, which eats valuable minerals -- meaning, when you kill one, you get some resources from it. They are consequently kill-on-sight, even though the dwarves consider them to be cute.

Deep Rock Galactic: Survivor also has loot bugs. Generally there's a half-dozen or so scattered about the level. You have to kill them in melee, and they block movement and shots, so there's some strategy in deciding when to go after one vs. focusing on dealing with the horde of ravening bugs that's swarming after you.

Imagine my surprise when I load into a new level and it is just packed with loot bugs. It went from "holy crap this is amazing" to "oh no I can't move properly" to "welp, I'm dead" in about 30 seconds. I call it "The Revenge of the Loot Bugs".