Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

expensive jeans posted:

I always enjoyed the Freelance Astronauts' uncanny ability to run into glitches:

(Saints Row 2) "Is there anything samurai swords can't solve?"
http://youtu.be/flZHWJbdt78?t=1m25s

(GTA:VC) Motorcycle + elevator
http://youtu.be/krvv-P9irr8?t=8m55s

(GTA:VC) Flying cars cheat + helicopter
http://youtu.be/skp3BiAyxIA?t=1m55s

(Resident Evil 4) Zombie Multiplicity
http://youtu.be/AZh07NVvBBw?t=16m38s

Let's not forget their escapades in Mass Effect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddqHDVTzmxo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

That'll buff right out.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

An oldie, but a goodie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V6zzVMGqqk
This was considerably more embarassing when it happened to Hircine.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Cass posted:

Something similar happened to me in Saints Row 3, car was driving fine one minute then it took a bump and this started happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIIuR1hRPmM

I tried to jump onto a motorcycle the other day in SR3. For those of you who don't know, there are two ways of entering a vehicle in the game - getting in normally, or holding down a button to basically jump into it, usually through a window or windshield. I connected with the bike and there was a huge blur, and I think I got flung somewhere - at any rate, I'd taken some damage. I looked around for what hit me, and there was the motorcycle, on the side of the road, tipped over.

It then burst into flames.

EDIT: Oh, and some amazing physics from SkippyGranola's current SR3 LP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsxW0FooaIU&t=830s

Scaly Haylie has a new favorite as of 21:57 on Dec 3, 2012

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

These are fun to see and all, interesting as well. But are they really THAT funny ?! I see some of these videos and people are loosing their poo poo, am I missing something ?

It's mostly the fact that, regardless of what crazy thing has messed up, the game will tolerate that thing and just try to keep going.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

A while back I replayed Half-Life 2: Episode One hoping to get a certain achievement, "The One Free Bullet". It requires you to only shoot one bullet over the course of the game, though I'm reasonably certain rockets and crossbow bolts are exempt from the requirement. Problem is there's tons of enemies to be had, and I couldn't keep up without, well, firing a ton of bullets. In the final scene after boarding the train, I decide to throw a grenade off the back of the train just for giggles while Alyx is talking. The grenade didn't clear the train, and Gordon fell over dead while the train zoomed off with his corpse.

It was at this point that I spontaneously got the achievement.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

DontMockMySmock posted:

I've played through HL2 and both episodes using only the gravity gun (and rockets for gunboats/striders that you have to kill) (obviously excepting the pre-gravity-gun parts of HL2). It's easier than you might think.

I can imagine. But I'm still baffled that I got that achievement. It's like the game didn't know what to do and just gave it to me.

Scaly Haylie has a new favorite as of 11:49 on Jun 15, 2013

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm not sure why, but once while I was playing Skyrim, I ran into a fortress full of mages who killed me, causing my corpse to flail wildly out of the world. This subsequently happened to me with all deaths for a while afterwards.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I've heard of putting motherfuckers in the ground, but this is ridiculous.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Welp, guess I'm not learning how to do fireworks! :shrug:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Pictured: a raider in Fallout 3 loading his missile launcher as he takes damage.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

A simple physics anomaly in Oblivion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovy9xRgyI94

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Soulex posted:

WWE 14 is the mecca of unintentional glitches.

There's no other kind of glitch, by definition. :eng101:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I don't really count Vinesauce stuff as glitches. Simulations of glitches, maybe.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Benly posted:

You could make a case for glitches that are deliberately left intact for one reason or another as being "intentional glitches".

At this point it becomes a feature. If part of a program is acting the way the programmer wants it to, then it is not in fact a glitch.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The PC version of Oblivion has support for 360 controllers.

Sort of.

I'm not sure why - possibly a very small deadzone - using a 360 controller tends to leave your character slowly drifting in one direction or another, and if it starts to do this, be ready to fight the controls. The game uses your 360 controller if it's plugged in upon startup, so more like than not you'll run into this if you've been playing some controller-based game for a while and decide to take the ol' Elder Scrolls for a whirl. Naturally, upon encountering this problem you unplug your controller, and if you're MOVING when you unplug it (which OF COURSE YOU ARE if you're experiencing the glitch) it tanks your movement speed until you close the game.

Scaly Haylie has a new favorite as of 17:29 on Nov 7, 2013

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

carry on then posted:

I think it has a sort of generic support for controllers like a lot of games from around those years. Since the 360 controller has no dead zone setting in the drivers, if games aren't programmed with their own you get that. It really lends driving games that "Desert Bus" effect.

It uses the same control scheme as the 360 version when a 360 controller is present, so I'm pretty sure they put SOME time into it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Action Tortoise posted:

My favorite Oblivion glitch is the game bugging the gently caress out if you try to sit down after completing the Knights of the Nine DLC.

What the gently caress line of code is that? :stare:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Last night I was dicking around with save editing on the Steam release of FF7, and tried to plonk down an airship on the world map so I could cheat like hell.

For those of you who aren't familiar with FF7, see this? This is the town of Junon. The cannon attached to it is, predictably enough, called the Junon Cannon. When I loaded my game, I was the Junon Cannon. I don't mean I had the same model. I moved the analog stick, and the loving Junon Cannon effortlessly slipped away from its hometown and I proceeded to wander the world map as it forever, with no encounters, no access to menus, no nothing.

I have no idea what the game thought was happening, but holy poo poo.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Speaking of Gamebryo, I've found the patch notes for the Unofficial Oblivion patch to be a veritable goldmine.

Fixed Dro'Nahrah's daily attendance AI being set to Bruma instead of Bravil castle, which caused her to die in the wilderness.

Edla Dark-Heart should no longer attack the player's horse for no apparent reason.

Shamada, Ra'Jahirr and Julitta Plotius will no longer each futilely try to open a locked cupboard in Best Goods & Guarantees for two hours a day.

S'drassa will no longer have an "Invest 500 gold in this shop" option for an Expert in Mercantile player, as he doesn't buy or sell anything.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Finisher1 posted:

Not sure if this technically counts as a glitch, but it's at least indicative of just how much of a mess Sonic '06 is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze582VGaAkY

That probably isn't intended program behavior, so yes, it's a glitch! :eng101:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Wow cool what is it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

This is literally the incredibly lovely title Game Tycoon, from 2006.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

HMS Boromir posted:

Man, why don't people do that for every game? I'd love to play lo-fi everything and have it run smoothly on any old-rear end computer.

Wasn't there something like that for Skyrim that made it look really weird and minimalist?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

That's the one, thanks!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Doctor Bishop posted:

Goddamn, that's got to be the best snowballing glitch narrative I've heard since the Corrupted Blood Plague. Speaking of which, anyone happen to know of any other incidents of status effects or whatever getting out of hand and becoming virtual epidemics in online games or is the Corrupted Blood one really the only time that's ever happened?

What was the Corrupted Blood Plague?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

HenryEx posted:

Are you, like, committed to read an article in full once you catch glimpse of the first letter?
Not sure why anyone would ever even consider reading the very informative three-paragraph summation at the top of the article and then go and look at the contents with "History" and "Models for real-world research" and think I definitely need to read that, too.

I'm TERRIBLY sorry for making people discuss game glitches in the game glitch thread.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

the posted:

What game is this?

It looks a hell of a lot like an Earth Defense Force game.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

It would be nice if more people sourced their glitches. Just sayin'.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

That's awful. I love you.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I basically got ragdolled out of the world once.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Freedom Force features time controls that enable you to speed up or slow down the action to your liking. It has a separate pause function, but the slowest setting is ALSO meant to be a full pause.

Emphasis on "meant".

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Doctor Bishop posted:

Okay, so now you've got me curious. What game is this and how does a guy hanging onto the edge of a moving conveyer belt not count as a glitch in it?

Well, it's more of a level design oversight is what I think Forgall is driving at.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

Well, to the guy's credit, I've also never played SSBB without either a beer or a blunt in one hand, as god intended.

So what you're saying is that YOU added tripping to Smash first.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Tarezax posted:

Speaking of Smash... I don't know how to embed video from Tumblr's new video player (is it even possible?) so I'll have to link the post. lovely quality, since it's a cell phone recording of a 3DS screen.

http://palutenas-booty-game.tumblr.com/post/100707938734/has-anyone-recorded-this-glitch-yet-please-look

That is a horrible tumblr.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Someone should really get some MDickie gifs in here.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

RandomFerret posted:

There are no glitches in MDickie games. When the reused code from the wrestling game that was turned into a prison sim and repurposed as a story about the bible goes wrong and Jesus pulls out a shiv and starts yelling that Mary is about to feel the pain, brother, that's emergent behaviour.

Counterpoint: post some MDickie gifs please.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Forgall posted:

Aggression mod for Dark Souls

What even is that?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

CJacobs posted:

It's a Cheat Engine script/mod that makes every non-boss enemy in the game have infinite aggro radius and unlimited pathfinding, so they will chase you all over the god drat world to hunt you down if they have to. Unsurprisingly it makes the game way way harder.

I think I need a link to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I tried using the CE file and my game basically crashed upon loading a save. Am I correct in assuming that the executable is the option that doesn't require unpatching the game? The page isn't exactly clear on that.