Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

sighnoceros posted:

Any recommendations for an epic war game that plays decently with fewer players? I have a decent-sized regular group but most of them don't like highly competitive epic games. There are 3 of us who are really looking for a game that we could play together for 2-3 hours (or longer) strategizing, planning, building, scheming, battling, etc.

We really like games like Game of Thrones and Eclipse, but with 3 players you're really at the bare minimum of playability for those games.

We just recently got Twilight Struggle and enjoyed it immensely, but obviously only 2 players.

Games with simultaneous turn elements like secret action selection or other backstab-enabling features are nice, and ideally something not too luck-heavy. Theme is largely irrelevant. And I guess it doesn't necessarily have to be a WAR game as long as it's got that epic competitive feel to it. Something closer to simpler rules with deep strategy instead of a billion fiddly bits would be preferred.

Some games we're looking at:
Wars of the Roses
Britannia
Runewars
Wallenstein
Tide of Iron

How do these games play with 3? Any additional suggestions other than find a couple more friends?

Get World in Flames, probably the most ambitious wargame I've ever seen (not that I've seen many). Plays good with one, because you're never going to convince someone to play/have room to play it/cut out the thousands of counters that are in the game (3200 i believe).

EDIT: There's also many many expansions for it which add more things, crazily enough.

EDIT 2: Didn't see the fiddly part. Wouldn't be fiddly if you mounted the board on tin and magnetized the pieces as above!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

bobvonunheil posted:

The way I understand it, part of the problem with Fury of Dracula is that it is a deduction and guessing game where even if you outsmart Dracula the final result is still determined with a single die roll.Haven't played it personally though. .

Fury of Dracula can come down to a die roll, but most of the time its based on card playing (though there are a limited number of cards). Dracula has quite a bit more ability to win via cards during the night-time phase of the game (as he gets more cards to use), but during the daytime the hunters have a definite advantage.

I don't believe I've ever seen a game that has come down to a single die roll to determine who won, but there is a card that Dracula can draw during the game that lets him instantly teleport somewhere else on the board. That card is really the only thing that feels out of place with the rest of the game.

Drawing the card early will result in possibly a subpar movement on the board (if you're planting Vampires on the board or other good traps for the hunters to run into) and drawing the card late will result in an almost-assured dracula win, unless the players have a cancel card ready for it (and they should).

That's really my only complaint of it. When you play as Dracula you get the feeling of "If someone catches my trail IM GOING TO DIE," and once they're on your trail its the equivalent of a 70s movie carchase scene plowing through alleyways full of chickencoops and cardboard boxes.

As soon as night hits, you can easily turn the tables and take out a weak hunter (if you've planned for it), and generally play a considerable amount of trickery to escape. That one card is the only thing I don't like about the game because that is where the random luck in the game lies.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

I would say the only reason I've ever sold any FFG games is because they were gigantic unwieldy beasts that I didn't have the space to set up for anymore.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

The General posted:

Often times I feel like this

Oh god there are so many times I've felt like that.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

2 player Small World can be a very intimately brutal game. My fiance beats me every time :( (And its usually by a wide margin).

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Subparr posted:

Just paid 100 dollars for Warhammer Quest. Best purchase ever. This has been my grail for a while now!

Now you just need to get all the models for all the level lists :D

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

There's also a fan rewrite of the rules that is really solid; creates very unique dungeons :)

I read through quite a bit of it and it's good poo poo.

https://drive.google.com/?pli=1#folders/0B_dW6NCrPT61NjdkUXFaSWZUWDg

https://drive.google.com/?pli=1#folders/0B_dW6NCrPT61andDblJOWGdtaUE

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

My favorite part about Arkham Horror, is the beginning to midgame looks/feels alot like this thematically: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yooGu14coT0

And is somehow juxtaposed completely by the ending (usually fighting the Great Older One) in a scene alot like this: http://youtu.be/AR8SkOhKG9Y?t=16s (The Guys in the Van are Cthulhu/Nyarhlotehp/etc)

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

I nearly pissed myself laughing at this

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Well it comes to that time again, and looking to hopefully get some money in my pocket for christmas, as well as sell some boardgames to some needy goons, I'm selling:

http://myworld.ebay.com/zombieman246/

Twilight Imperium 3
Zombie State: Diplomacy of the Dead
Game of Thrones LCG (Including first 6 booster packs)
Horus Heresy
Rune Wars
Call of Cthulhu LCG (including Order of the Silver Twilight Lodge deluxe expansion)
Middle Earth Quest

:D

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Spincut posted:

I only see TI, Zombie State, GoT, and CoC up. Have you just not posted the others yet?

Yeah that's wierd, I looked through, in my main selling screen it lists them all, but I cant see them if I look through the listings on my profile :/ Perhaps I should invididually link them?

Twilight Imperium 3
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251179603769?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

Zombie State
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251179605030?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

Game of Thrones (plus 6 boosters)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251179607011?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

Horus Heresy
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251179608934?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

Rune Wars (Plus Expansion)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251179610418?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

Call of Cthulhu (Plus Order of Silver Twilight Lodge Exp)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251179612070?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

Middle Earth Quest
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251179614252?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Oh if the games sell for a dollar, then they sell for a dollar haha. I'm not too worried about it :P

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

You might want to try linking it up on BGG. I think there is a way to link your boardgame auctions to the front page. You can probably even start a Geeklist for some added exposure.

Oh interesting, I'll have to take a look. Thank you :)

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Absolutely! It's a great game and gets very tense at times.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Get Earth Reborn! It's awesome, and super thematic (and the rules are really well done too for those who equate thematic to having terrible rules).

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Not to mention that with all this combined, there is quite literally no game there. I would argue that munchkin has more content than zombies.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

I thought Last Night on Earth was pretty good :)

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Not sure if this was posted yet, but a friend just sent me this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WD0gMu0LDU

A physics based real time boardgame engine! Maybe people would pick this up, and online boardgaming would be that much more interesting. I like using vassal and all, but urgh it sure does lose alot of the boardgame experience in execution.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

Any suggestions for a Christmas gift for someone who plays Cards Against Humanity and Last Night on Earth? He's a guys guy who loves sports, bacon, and beers (if that matters).

Talisman

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Tekopo posted:

You are a cruel, cruel person.

I actually like it :D (And yes I am aware of its total lack of mechanics and all its other problems).

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Colon V posted:

I'll start, I guess.

Best Card Game Involving Time Travel
Chrononauts, for having an interesting theme, multiple ways to win, a great sense of humor. I'm not sure whether describing it as "Munchkin with Time Travel" would help or hurt people wanting to play more.

There's an expansion to it which adds i think another 10-15 timeline pieces related to the founding of the USA.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Managed to snag LoTR Cardgame: The Hobbit Expansion, 3 packs for Warhammer Invasion, some MtG cards, Mage Knight, and Rex. Not bad, not bad at all (especially since I couldn't afford them otherwise).

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Kiranamos posted:

and I'm a great teacher (since I'm forced to always do it :argh:)

I feel your pain. If you go through the rules, people go "OH GOD YOU'RE TAKING SO LONG" but then if you try to teach as you play, and something happens that wasn't covered, they go "WELL I WISH I WOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT"

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Another thing to consider is that it doesn't matter what the score is if you can't get the group to play it.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Mage Knight is fun, and it's really fun solo, which says alot for a game (as playing solo is quite sad and lonely). There's a solo version on Vassal currently, so at least now I don't have to break stuff out and put it away in a display of shame and misery.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Android mixed with AP is a horrible experience (Outside of the normally somewhat underwhelming and confusing experience).

EDIT: Also it looks like Galaxy Trucker Anniversary Edition is no where in stock at all. :(

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

MonkeyMaker posted:

I watched the WatchItPlayed on Legendary which looks pretty awesome. Browsing around Amazon today, though, I saw a DC-themed deck-builder but haven't seen any reviews of it. Anyone know anything about it?

I remember reading a comparison (no clue where I found it though) that explained that the Legendary game has a much more intense setup/breakdown, and deeper mechanics than the DC Game; the DC game on the other hand, has just enough stuff variety that the Heroes could become significantly different (and the game is easily expandable)...or something like that. Not that that means much without context.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

The problem I have with BSG, over Avalon/Resistance, is that while BSG offers a more traditional boardgame experience, no matter how many times I explain it someone will go "So what does it mean if I'm a cylon?" 2 hours into a 3 hour game.

I've been looking at my collection and narrowing it down to themes/mechanics that are solid and streamlined; the one perplexity I have is Talisman. I enjoy playing Talisman with my wife and other people that aren't hobbyists, even though I know at its core it lacks anything resembling a game with actual decisions and whatnot.

Does anyone recommend something that is similar to Talisman in theme but has an actual game behind it?

Zombie #246 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 30, 2013

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

I found Space Cadets to go over much better with a non-gaming/hobbyist group (though Space Alert is a Very Good Game).

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

A question about Mage Knight, Keeps and Wizard Towers and Cities permit people to enter them if you are fighting the person inside; is it possible to travel through the space without assaulting it? Or end your turn on the space without assaulting it?

Also, if you fail an attack on one of these spaces do you remain on the space?

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

To give a high five to Tekopo in a bro's playing complex games while drinking and having fun, one of the most enjoyable drunken boardgame experiences of mine was playing Revolution: THe Dutch Revolt 1568-1648, probably the most complex game I have ever played.

It's complex enough that I do not remember, at any length, how the game works at all. Something about influencing armies, victory points that are calculate each turn rather than added together, and absolutely no random anything (I think).

Plus, the drat board is gorgeous.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

What's everyone's opinion on dice in games? I know people who can't stand the idea of rolling one, and I know people that can't grasp a game without having a die roll being used at some point.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Anyone remember seeing a game where you controlled different countries trying to kill each other's population off using bio weapons and nukes? I can't remember if it's finished or not. It was something to do with culling the planet's population, and something about Russia being able to instantly force the game to lose for everyone.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Just bought and played Spartacus, and it is a hell of a lot of fun (for my group). A huge amount of player interaction, bartering, bluffing, and simple but effective combat mechanics. The mechanics heavily support the theme. I only played it with 3 unfortunately, but 4 is very much ideal.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

That would give me a heart attack.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

I see that they have ASL on vassal, but I have not been able to find the rulebook(s) anywhere. Are the ASL rulebooks not released online anywhere? (Not asking for files, if that's the case with them).

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

A question about Sentinels of the Multiverse, too late did I realize I got the older edition of it; the newer one adds or refines some balancing mechanics on the original cards, from what I've read; how significant are the changes?

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

In my group's starting games of Avalon, the Merlin player(s) always played deep deep cover by playing fail cards every time. Even the bad guys were confused about what was going on.

Needless to say, for anyone that has yet to play Avalon, if you're a good guy don't ever play a fail card.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Turkeybone posted:

Oh, yeah I didnt even know there were multiple illuminati. Yes I mean the card game. We play semi-regularly, and have one friend who starts flipping out when someone *looks* at his cards too long, obviously trying to plan an attack on him.

I did have Illuminati, and while I loved it, the other players in my group didn't really enjoy such a cutthroat game...iirc Game of Thrones (boardgame) had the same sort of reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Some Numbers posted:

Absolutely. Was your first game of Magic played with a combo deck?

I remember my first game of Magic was with one of the starter "boosters" of 4th edition, with all the cool cards crammed in. It was at a time when my parents were concerned because of the religious hoopla at the time. I played games against someone who did use combos, and I had no idea why I got my rear end handed to me every game; in my mind, the carts with the cool art deserved a spot in my deck.

There is an interesting amount of strategies and tactics throughout the line, though some is admittedly unbalanced. It's interesting to see how the game has changed over the years, the different power combos of the blocks as the tournaments age, that kind of thing.

Definitely what got me into gaming and the hobby in general.

• Locked thread