Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The GIG posted:

I'm getting back into the series after a couple of years since playing DW Advanced (And if that doesn't count then my last game was DW2 and holy poo poo is this series old) with Next and I'm looking into the Orochi series. Should I bother tracking down the first couple of games to get the full story or just say "gently caress it" and download 3 and start kicking rear end with Achilles:black101:?

This is just me, but I really wouldn't bother with the WO 1 and 2 and just go straight to 3. The story is really not worth burning yourself out on the gameplay since it doesn't change drastically between installments. Get 3 and start unlocking the crazy amount of characters and go nuts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

Dang, I just looked at the pricing for PSN. If you wanted to get all the costumes and weapon packs you're out like $40. Guess I'll have to wait for 75% off!

Might be waiting a while. I don't think I've ever seen any of the DW games go that deep on sale.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

quakster posted:

The console version of the complete edition came out way before all the DLC, not that you'd know without looking it up.

Be a savvy consumer. Google poo poo.

To add to this. The current DW games have had a crap load of DLC, all ridiculously priced on consoles. There's precedent. Granted, PC gamers aren't used to the way Koei prices and releases their DLC so I can understand the frustration.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Perdido posted:

Picked up Orochi 3 Ultimate last week. Loving it. Things that I like:

- They turned Survival Mode from the old games into a new kind of challenge/something grindable. I basically cruised through it to get Hundun unlocked, but it's interesting and I'm intrigued!
- YOU CAN SELL WEAPONS. I went through and sold off all the junk items from my original save and got like 800k in gems.
- The Promotion system is awesome. Getting the speed boosts for stats is loving awesome.
- The "mount" slot is great, too. As is the DW8 style of mounting. Yeah, it's on the D-Pad, but you can just hold and automount now.
- They've added some more missions to make Bond grinding easier. There's like 4 characters that don't really have missions to grind on now. For complete freaks like me who want to 100% this game, it's great.

Couple of WO3U questions,

1, Does anyone know what the hell triggers EXP fevers? Near as I can tell it's A) off an officer and B) there has to be like less than 3 mooks running around.

2, Anyone know if the Art of War item boosts the duration of EXP fevers?

I really hope that there is a comedy option skin for this that is a folding chair and I can just go around the map as Dian Wei braining people like I'm a 200 BC era Stone Cold Steve Austin.

E: Hell, he already has a wrestling alternate costume.

The EXP fever is an item you pick up from defeating an officer, I believe.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

TARDISman posted:

Anyone have it on Vita and know if there's any problems with it?

I just purchased it but I've only played the first level of the Oda campaign. Looks great, pop in is no worse than usual, better even. No slowdown in the first stage. Looks like a great port.

Might change of course but I'm liking it so far :)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

SW 4 is great, but I really don't like the whole standard bearer mechanic. In effect it just makes you run around looking for a hidden NPC and sometime's he's not even there (?). It's weird, there seem to be other ways to decrease morale, but nothing I've found to be consistent.

They're marked on the map with flag icons. Also, named officers have the same type of effect on soldiers. I think if the map shows a darker shade of red then that means an officer is the one giving them a life boost. I could be wrong though.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Drakenel posted:

Man, I realize I probably don't understand japanese culture at all. Why am I brushing Mitsuhide's hair and getting piggyback rides down a mountain? (Chronicle mode is a strange beast)

The real question is why wouldn't you?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

How did it happen that by far the most technically competent looking Musou game is for Dragon Quest?

Now if they could apply that to their future Musou games then we'd be in business. (Still buying the hell out of them, regardless of quality :retrogames: )

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Lotish posted:

So while I was trying to learn more about Empires 8, I came upon a forum that seemed to largely consist of a lot of wailing about Koei Tecmo crashing and burning in Japan and this possibly being the last of the Empires series we'd see in the West. Anyone know what that's all about?

Woah, what? Are you sure it wasn't just armchair analysis? Were there any sources?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah I'll need a source too. There's a lot of bullshit floating around about how X Japanese game dev is on the edge of destruction, but it's usually just that they had a bad quarter or something.

edit: According to this, they are doing very well in both sales and profits.

Yeah, I don't really see it happening. They are coming out with Dragon Warriors (:haw:) next too and that will make a killing.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Tecmo-Koei has fairly reliable profits. They make low-budget games for a dependable audience bolstered by the occasional surprise hit. They're not a super-duper high-profit company but they don't need to be.

Yeah, the continued existence of this series with it's incremental updates is only rivaled by Madden and Call of Duty. Not a slight against the Warriors series. I'm just as hooked as anyone :) It's just a game you can zone out to and I'm glad it fills that niche very well with how packed the content is in each recent game.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Rutibex posted:

I haven't played a Dynasty Warriors game in a long while, I think the last one was on the DW4 on PS2. I was thinking about getting one of the newer ones to see how far its come after 4 versions. Which one should I get for the most content bang for my buck: Warriors Orochi 3 or Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires? What is the difference between Orochi 3 and Orochi 3: Ultimate? I don't care about story or whatever I have played through the three kingdoms more than enough I just care about how many levels/characters/modes the game comes with and how replayable it is.

Just to echo everyone else, Orochi 3 Ultimate is what you want. It is Orochi 3 but with several new characters and updates to game mechanics.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

littleorv posted:

I just bought warriors orochi on my PS4 having never played a Samurai Warriors game before. Hope I don't need some knowledge of that series to enjoy this one.

Kill guys that are not on your team. Rinse, repeat.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

littleorv posted:

Sounds pretty decent, wish my PS4 would download it faster because the plot sounds like ridiculous fun. Japanese voices aren't really a problem because I watch and enjoy subbed anime I was just wondering.

If all you need to have a good time is bash dudes left and right, you're in for a treat! Orochi Ultimate is the most content rich of the Warriors series. Even though they don't vary much if at all from game to game, I can't get enough of them :)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a bit harder than most recent Warriors games so be wary about fighting some of the big named officers because they can destroy you with one badly timed Musou attack, make use of the interim save function.
Like most other Warriors titles the bonus modes are designed to be played using characters levelled in the main campaign, starting out at level one is not advisable.
Don't try and grind out bonds until you have all the options available in the tea house because that makes it a lot easier.

Analog posted:

I wish I would have read this about 30 minutes before I actually did... Playing this for the first time, made it to the end of a level and then got juggled by a named guy. I wasn't expecting to be dropped back out to the main menu after that.

This is the only the second of these games I've tried. Hyrule Warriors finally got me to try them out after years of people generally trashing the games. Glad I did - HW was a lot of fun and Warriors Orochi 3 seems promising so far.

Watch out for Himiko! This is what happens if you let her get her musou out and you don't block:

Her--->:commissar: <--- you

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Simon The Digger posted:

So I just got Samurai Warriors 4 off of the flash sale. What do I need to know before I start playing?

Bash dudes (and some ladies) who are not your dudes. Rince, repeat. Enjoy :)

^^^ This goon knows what's up!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

TARDISman posted:

I'd buy a JoJo's Bizarre Warriors or Berserk Warriors any day of the week.

FFFFFFFFuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, I'd buy the hell out of Berserk Warriors :gizz:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

5er posted:

Lu Bu riding around on a Deviljho would absolutely be the worst thing on earth though.

I need this. You could take Lu Bu's antenna as materials!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Wafflz posted:

Beating off thousands of dudes to anything but butt rock would just seem wrong.

Whoa. Nice.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

mikeycp posted:

So, if I were to show Dragon Quest Heroes to someone who hates Musou without ever having actually played one, how long do you think I could keep them in the dark about its lineage? Or do you all reckon it's not even worth trying?

Eew. Sever.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

What would the name be if Koei Tecmo and Bandai Namco merged?

Kodai Nammo because I like how it sounds :)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Oh right One Piece was there okay yeah that's good but gently caress Hokuto Musou.

I liked the first one more but god drat that series had no reason being as clunky as it was :(

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

RickDaedalus posted:

I caved in and bought DW8E at full price because I am a weak man. I spent the entire day looking at the clock and realized time wasn't going to move any faster. The PC port isn't as bad as people say. It is a little janky but, it's far from terrible.

I wanted to be my own guy but, I couldn't turn down Lu Bu when he asked me to join him. It's been about 4-5 in game years and Lu Bu is crushing it. He owns most of the map and it looks like we might finish pretty soon. Maybe.

I'm having a pretty good time. It's a little weird transitioning to DW from HW, though. I miss the lock on.

Edit: Unified the land! Lu Bu stepped down right at the end.

Welcome friend :) Now you'll start to get curious about the other *Warriors games. It always starts with one....:unsmigghh:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Rutibex posted:

I've actually played Dynasty Warriors 2-5 on the PS2 back in the day, and just came back into it with Orochi 3. So I can recognize the big name Three Kingdoms guys, but they added a lot of obscure characters between 5 and whatever they are up to now, and of course the Samurai characters, and the randoms from other games, and original characters...

Yeah, Orochi 3 owns because of this.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Takoluka posted:

I enjoyed some of the demo's mechanics, so I looked into gameplay footage. It seems pretty par for the course as far as Musou games go, but from what I saw, it was pretty faithful to the Arslan anime. I absolutely loved Heroic Legend of Arslan, so being able to essentially play all the cool stuff that I watched is incredibly appealing to me. I pre-ordered this as soon as it went up on Amazon (for some reason, it's getting here tomorrow, but I can live with that). If anyone's really on the fence about it, I can trip report it tomorrow evening.

I'd like to hear your thoughts, at least.

CrashCat posted:

and whoever I am watching play it just got a 39 thousand hit chain :eyepop:

Wow.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Maleketh posted:

I had Yoshihiro Shimazu get the event with the sorcerer in the forest. Instead of running away screaming, he just calmly greeted the soul of his dead nemesis, which sent the sorcerer fleeing in terror. Yoshihiro's the best.

That's fantastic :) I never played any of the Empires games. I may have to start with this one.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Maleketh posted:

It has the same character limit. In fact, the create-an-officer system is almost exactly the same as in base SW4.

Speaking of, I just wrapped up my first full playthrough, and this dapper fellow was one of my most important officers:

His name is Goon.

M' daimyo

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Touché

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

Yukimura actually has a personality and an arc, from what I remember, though I may be getting him confused with his Sengoku Basara incarnation.

Mostly because capcom's idiot attempt at copyright fuckery aside, Sengoku Basara generally has better characterization for everyone.

Yeah, I like how extremely over the top Basara is. Also their interpretation of Magoichi and the Saika Mercenaries. Then again I have a soft spot for his ridiculous "lady's man" schtick in the DW series. Also gun user in a mostly melee centric cast.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Tae posted:

Isn't Magaoichi a woman in Basara and a guy in Samurai Warriors?

Correct. I believe the actual history is that name was used by various leaders of the Saika mercenaries. It was more a moniker rather than an actual name.

HenryEx posted:

Yes. While i appreciate Magoichi's moveset in the Basara games, i like DW's smug unsuccessful womanizer character for him more.

I like it both ways (heh) Handsome womanizing smuglord in SW :shlick: and hot babe wielding modern weaponry in Feudal Japan in Basara :fap:.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Link, Agitha, Fi, Impa, Darunia

What, no Linkle? :mad:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I love Masamune Date's moveset in Samurai Warriors but the man wields 6 Katanas in Sengoku Basara. It's obvious what the superior moveset is.

Capcom pretty much killed all hope of that franchise coming to the US again, right?

I believe so :(

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Wow, the only thing I can say that I'm hyped for in regards to new games is this. I want to know if Omega Force can top the intro to the PS2 Berserk game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxqkhhTzzx8

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Awesome Welles posted:

poo poo, if they could get Hirasawa to do another theme song then it's a step in the right direction at least.

Also I know I'm in the minority with enjoying both FotNS musous, but for all of their flaws they at least had a pretty dope buttrock soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq0uPlQcwH4

I enjoyed the Ken's Rage games also. Maybe not as much as the other musous but they weren't outright terrible, to me, at least. I definitely hope the Berserk musou tries something different, for the better.

Hirasawa does some great themes for Berserk's various multimedia outings. I was about to comment that Berserk doesn't have any butt rockish stuff but then I remembered the Penpals's intro to the anime. I like it even though it's pretty engrishy. The outro is good too. For reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TRemrRaPjc

Here's a lyric video for "Forces 2" from Sword of the Berserk that came out on the Dreamcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbQIgJagZZ4

HPanda posted:

Hmmmm.....Dark theme, giant monsters, musou game? Get ready, fellahs. We're about to get "Berserk Warriors: Now every level is Thriller Bark"!

At least that little dose of hopelessness you feel is theme-appropriate.

Seriously, though, I'm reading through the manga right now in anticipation of this. Watched the anime years back when it ended at Griffith being the world's biggest turd. I'm guessing the anime picked back up at some point? I thought they ended it back then, but it might have just been a long time between seasons and I lost track of it.

The anime is really good. I think it's slow pace is a point in it's favor. Then it goes off the loving rails, in a good way I feel, at the end. The manga was good till it started to drag. I haven't kept up with it at all. I can't imagine having to craft a huge story for an audience that just eats up your work without getting burned out. No wonder Kentaro Miura escaped to Idolm@ster.

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 15, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Jibo posted:

The story of One Piece isn't even that important in the game.

All you need to know is there are pirates, there are marines, and there are other assorted weirdos and they fight each other for various reasons.

Pretty much this. All Musou games are thus: there are more of them than you and they're still outnumbered :black101:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Akihiro Suzuki of Omega Force (executive officer) got interviewed at ChinaJoy and he said that Koei hopes to reveal the next Dynasty Warriors before the end of the year. Also he wants to make Star Wars Musou and his favorite game of the year is Witcher 3.

I'd be interested in a Star Wars Musou. Maybe not a Witcher Musou but a more western influenced Musou will be in order.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

30 fps lock. I'm not touching that.

Lol

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Evil Canadian posted:

Well I picked up the Titan game and initial impression is, best Spiderman game since the one on the original xbox. The travel is super slick. Combat is basically you just dissecting people but that's fun in its own way. Not exactly high art here but its a worthwhile play.

Which system did you get it on?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

U.T. Raptor posted:

Also the janky MH item system is replaced with something much more intuitive, and there's a lot of QoL stuff like not having to sheath your weapon to run (who thought that was a good idea?) and being able to lock on to enemies. Also, your teammates are cool and good and actually useful.

Weren't you ever taught to never run with a knife :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I'm looking forward to Toukiden 2 and I'll probably wait to see the PC port. I don't plan on getting a PS4 anytime soon. I'd like to get it on the Vita because Monster Hunter-alikes are extremely my jam but it's looking like Toukiden 2 has a little too much going on for the little handheld that couldn't

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Bloodly posted:

Tricky. As the system tends to sway back and forth between 'changing things up' and returning to what the fans claim they enjoyed, whilst still advancing(to an extent) everything else. Currently the system is in a mess, as battlefield control is the hardest it's ever been; the Morale system being too harsh, and you can't reduce the enemy's appreciably. It really does become 'you vs everyone'-your allies have lost their power.

The games have only appeared to be 'kill everything'. Generally, it's(After 'survive!') killing the right people in the right places(Normal troops too) to bring more dangerous generals under control, or fulfilling tasks that will also drop enemies to 'killable' and thus allowing everyone else to do what they're doing. While the movesets have become more and more powerful, with vast ranges on normals and far less risky charge attacks, the lesser troops have become far less dangerous since they stopped using playable movesets(Recall that Lu Meng WAS the Generic Pike moveset as the most obvious example), existing only to die in numbers. This was not always the case. The differences in enemy action at higher morale vs lower morale were startling, and even under normal circumstances were capable of more.

Combat, though always simple(In the same way that Final Fight or Streets of Rage is 'simple') has become a lot less risky than it used to be.

...I'm sorry, I've just come off a bout of DW3, so it's turned into half-reminiscing.

In terms of combat, it's finding what works, then utilising it. Like 'Jump attacks are stupid fast and will beat a lot of things and knock down'. 'X character's C3 is a Stun'. 'Y character's C3 moves him far' 'Da Qiao can use her Jump Charge and the Dash Skill to fly across the battlefield'. 'Zhang He has very good aerial moves, so he wants to launch people often, but follow up with a normal jump, not the auto-follow up'.

Game by game would be difficult for me to say, as my familiarity is limited.

From DW3 to 4; Kingdom play over character play(And even letting people like Yuan Shao and the Yellow Turbans get in on the act), more bodyguards and a proper levelling system for them(Even allowing them Elemental attacks), no rando-drop weapons(Instead you levelled them up by both killing officers and doing combos, giving combos more of a point), more tasks and events, balancing AI officers by making it so they could only buff up after a knockdown rather than whenever they wished(Wasn't always the heal, either; now they could get attack and defence buffs too), gates actually switching sides rather than just being shut, Create-an-Officer, throws as Charge Attacks, counter-attacking, dueling, and even the fringes of a affection system(very odd system; You fought alongside people as you did various things in Musou and Free mode, you got friendship up invisibly. Attacking them brought it down. If there was room on the battlefield for them(They counted as a completely new general unit), and you got low on health, they MIGHT show up unexpectedly on the battlefield to save your rear end. I forget if a rival would show up if they hated you sufficiently)

DW4 to DW5; Experiments with Bases, providing various minor benefits and another way to heal-supply bases-though not always reliable), bodyguards changed up again(Instead of a small troop, they're now singular mini-generals), Musou Rage(Super Mode requiring a specific pickup), 'Evolution' attack(Only on 6-hit weapons-yes, we're back to rando-drop. Take your normal string from 6 hits to 9, only with a full Musou gauge-another reason to perhaps keep your gauge full rather than spend it. The extra attacks had no charge attacks associated with them). Experiments with differing properties of weapons; aside from elements, they could also have weight. 'Heavy' weapons were slower and did more damage, 'light' weapons were the opposite. Oh, and we're back to character based story modes.

DW5-DW6: Everyone remembers Renbu. What they forget was the base system from here has been the basis of Empires games since. Bases with numbers of troops that need claiming. Consistent and reliable places to retreat and heal, if necessary, since all allied bases spawned healing items. Bodyguards have gone, in place was levelling up your horse, also meaning everyone had access to that little extra mobility almost from the off. As the battlefields seem to be far more expansive, one could say it was needed. I think it was now that 'rescuing' officers recovered their health also came in. Actually being able to attack gates and things directly. Ladders. Story modes are still character-based.(This particular rundown is on 'observation' rather than 'owning the game').

DW8: Many weapons made their return; I forget whether it was 6 or 7 that had the Great Weapons Purge, where most of the weapons got chucked, in favour of having less weapons, and shared weapons, but having unique 'EX' moves to differentiate people. They kept the EX system, also. We're back to Kingdom Play, after a while without it. Also with multiple routes, if you do the right things. Ambition Mode...isn't new. As I understand it, DW7 had something similar.

...Perhaps this is too many words on the subject. I've probably bored you.

I've been addicted to this series since Dynasty Warriors 2 and I really appreciated this post :)

I'm going to print it out and frame it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

The GIG posted:

http://gematsu.com/2016/09/musou-stars-adds-millennia-kagero-deception-ii

My girl Millenna rolling up to kick some rear end. Also they're saying about 30 characters from 10 franchises.

Woah, there's a character I wasn't expecting to hear about ever again :woop: