Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm doing the same.

I wish swarms showed up more often, or at least there was a way to increase the chances of a swarm appearing.

I need a loving Anorith.

I would say just use a password for swarm pokemon, but anorith hasn't actually been officially released. Obviously you could generate unofficial passwords if you really wanted an Anorith though, since somebody cracked the code and put a password generator online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
One of the little things I like in the story mode is how mission objectives can change depending on which character you're playing as, usually whenever they decide to do a pincer attack, so you either end up as the distraction or the sneak attack. Gives replaying stages a bit more variety compared to earlier games where you just ended up doing everything.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
She showed up in Strikeforce 2, and people liked her there so they added her to the main games.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
On the subject of random Musou mash-ups, I did joke to my friend the other day about a Game of Thrones Musou just because for whatever dumb reason, my mind thought the political backstabbings in that series would make for an entertaining Western equivalent to RotTK (since we already got a Trojan Musou and Bladestorm, disappointing though they may be). Thinking on it though, it would make for a silly and preposterous game, as suddenly every small event has to be expanded and exaggerated as an excuse to have a huge battlefield since there's not a lot of huge battles in the series, so now Catelyn Stark is raising up an entire army to seize Tyrion at the inn, Tyrion's trial by combat would involve him and Bronn just taking on every knight in the Aerie, knocking them out the Moon Door when possible, and of course it is not a good idea to pursue The Mountain. Course, Dynasty Warriors does like to exaggerate a lot of the escape sequences, so there's some precedent for it. I'm just entertained by the idea of a scenario where Hodor or Rickon take the Iron Throne, since you gotta add in hypothetical scenarios where characters don't die or they win instead of losing like they should.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Schneider Heim posted:

Holy poo poo. Definitely want this, at least for the increased attack.

Is Samurai Warriors Chronicles any good? Since the sequel will probably be never see an English release, can I just settle for this? The last SW I played was SW2XL, though.

Yeah, it's decent enough. Controlling four different characters on the map is an interesting change, and the zone morale makes things more challenging than the typical Musou game since high enemy morale actually makes enemy soldiers and officers harder to kill. There's no Free mode though so you only have the main campaign and extra chapters to replay, so no playing as the opposite army in a battle.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Pureauthor posted:

Though I'm pretty sure the Story mode has a way for you to unlock you playing on either side in every battle.

Naturally the Warlords of the era are totally cool with this.

Actually, it's just a couple of battles in the final chapter (and one Gaiden battle), the story technically branches off so you either join the Toyotomi Army or the Tokugawa army, and then on replay you can unlock the other side. Most of the battles in the game you don't have a choice though. You can bring whatever warlord with you if you like if they're your best friend on replay though, so you can have Nobunaga attacking himself, with the Officer challenge quote changed to acknowledge it.

I liked the game though, since having a portable Musou game is nice, and I had already gotten everything I could out of Warriors Orochi 2 on PSP at the time.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Basically every Jin character is the best. I had an amazing moment of glee with Jia Chong when I realized I had thrown more axes than I needed to, and then suddenly there was just a storm of axes juggling everyone around me, reaching an absurdly high chain for a non-rage/musou attack.

I wouldn't worry too much about leveling the skills, you generally max them out eventually anyways. Quick learner in particular you don't really need given you can unlock buying level-ups in ambition mode.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I didn't know that, but am not especially surprised.

That's a shame. I wonder how the franchise as a whole fared in the West compared to the Warriors series, specifically.

Probably was off to a bad start when the first game was rebranded and altered to be Devil Kings, and the 2nd was never released over here. I wasn't even aware that it was supposed to be a competitor to the Warriors series till the 3rd game came out.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'll always love Wu for the majority of their strategies being setting things on fire. Course I'm partial towards them since they were the first faction I ever played when I got into this series and how their leadership has a tendency to die in continual succession in their storyline. I should really get around to reading the Three Kingdoms sometime. Is the newest translation okay, or should I just track down the Roberts translation?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Dead Man Posting posted:

So if I have a five-star weapon, and I picked up a six-star weapon, I can't actually get it because I already have one unique? Would I be able to get it again at some point if I sold the five-star weapon?

I'm pretty sure you can pick it up, given my Lu Bu got his six-star weapon while equipped with his 5 star weapon. Not sure about getting multiple five/six-stars though, which I tried once and the weapons didn't spawn, though apparently it's supposed to be possible.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Both Wu and Shu's historical ending cutscenes will always crack me up given what happens right after their victory charge.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

DaveCG posted:

Naruto Warriors. Great, now I feel dirty.

It already kind of exists as Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Impact, though admittedly it was a pretty poor musou clone.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

SirPhoebos posted:

I just maxed out Kotaro's friendship level and didn't get his weapon unlock. In fact I looked in the editor and there wasn't even a slot for where Kotaro's weapon should have been. What gives?

If it's like Samurai Warriors Chronicles, your edit character can't use Kotaro's weapon.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Going backwards into WO3 is gonna feel weird for you since it was made before DW8 and SW4, so it'll be missing some gameplay improvements and movesets from those games. Still a good game though, just led to moments like expecting Sima Shi to be a boss only to find out his moveset is a clone of the rapier moveset.

SW4 is the first game to have hyper moves, as well as being the newest out of the three so it arguably has the most incremental improvements, though admittedly the DW and SW series tend to run in parallel to each other development-wise, so each series has their own particular quirks. DW8 does have a lot of characters though, so you'll get a lot of variety in movesets, but it doesn't lock away moves like SW4 does with its leveling, so what you see is what you get basically with DW8.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Cao Cao and Nobunaga are the only ones who try to have every faction work together too in Warriors Orochi if I remember correctly. Every other faction's ending was just inclusive and didn't involve everyone.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

If the story doesn't matter, it most likely won't to either of us really, which has better combat or the ability to customize?

Technically DW8 still, just because it's newer than WO3, but WO3 has you making a team of 3 characters so it might be better in that regard.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
You're good with either one. DW8E is more open-ended, while SW4 lets you use your custom characters in the story battles which might be more interesting than empire's battles. If you want strategy oriented management (building up your rep, maintaining your kingdom/army, etc), then go with empires, otherwise go with SW4 if you just want to kill dudes and get money.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It's not the first time it's had a game either. It got a Fire Emblem-esque game back in the 90s for Sega CD.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Belzac posted:

For me the cool part of Chronicles is being able to swap between officers mid-battle and not like Orochi where you're all the dudes at once but having dudes on different side of the map doing different things and having to bounce around as objectives pop up.

It was such a good idea that they incorporated it into Samurai Warriors 4. Curious what the new Chronicles will bring to the table since a lot of its ideas got put into SW4.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Jibo posted:

Not to mention that the PS4 ports of Musou games haven't exactly been huge improvements over the PS3 version in terms of graphics.

I'm curious to see how a Musou game will run on my slightly aging computer after hearing all the bad stuff about the last couple.

I ran DW:8 on my old laptop just fine with integrated graphics. Not even the improved integrated graphics either of HD 4000 and up either, it ran fine in HD 3000.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Man, SWC3 does not mess around in killing off characters in its what-if scenarios (except Nagamasa because he is dumb). Imagawa's made me laugh in how it suddenly jumped from ridiculous to tragic. Also I do like how they've gradually made Okuni a grim reaper since I assume they don't know what to do with her plot-wise.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Schneider Heim posted:

I upgraded my weapon in SWC3 after it reached level 20. What's the max rank for this weapon? I saw a screenshot of a weapon with 6 attributes and 3 skills, but I can only put just 4 attributes and 2 skills on my current one.

It was probably a rare/4th weapon which you get from doing certain objectives on a specific stage on hard or higher. I think you can also buy them from challenge mode.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

DoubleDonut posted:

I'm really enjoying SWC3; is it worth it to get SW4 or is SWC3 just a portable version of it? I'm also wondering if SW4 goes more into who everyone is and what they're actually doing; if I hadn't played SW2 back when it came out I think I'd be pretty lost as to who's who with how fast this one goes.

SWC3 is basically kinda an expansion pack of SW4 with variations of SW4 levels with 4 characters to control instead of 2, with your OC just witnessing or changing the storyline of SW4. I think SW4 does do a somewhat decent job of telling you who everyone is, though as always, it's usually just best to look up the wiki to read about their historical version to get context.

I always thought the opening was pretty rad though.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 31, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Makes me think Fire Emblem personally. I doubt it'll be Fire Emblem.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Elliotw2 posted:

DW8 was a bad port at launch, but they fixed it so it works more than half of the time. They'll probably have Toukiden fixed in another month or so too.

I got it at launch and it worked perfectly though. :confused:

Are you confusing it with DW8 Empires? That's the one that got later patches that had to fix issues.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The only problem with SW4 is that it makes it really hard to go back to older Warriors just because you get used to hyper attacks, and hyper attacks are fun as hell.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Stealing Franky's underwear is a lot of things including Usopp's apology and Garp as well. Also I kept failing that stage because Aokiji kept wreaking my poo poo.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Suaimhneas posted:

So Pirate Warriors 3 completely skips Whiskey Peak and Little Garden, but then makes an entire stage out of fighting Bellamy, the guy who thought he was hot poo poo until Luffy floored him with one punch? :psyduck:

To be fair, that was one of the iconic moments. Whiskey Peak and Little Garden tend to be less remembered. PW3 is basically a greatest hits summary of One Piece.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The game will eventually tell me, but since he's so prominent in the intro, I'd like to know--who the gently caress is Sabo? Why does he look like Sanji?

Actually it won't unfortunately since that was all a flashback arc. Sabo is the 3rd sworn brother to Ace and Luffy who supposedly died. Turns out he was alive and is now a revolutionary with Dragon.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

naginalJJ posted:

It's possible that Oda gave them some basic story beats and Sabo's design when they started. Don't get me wrong, I too would love Bart in the game (also Kidd! Why is Kidd not in the game???)

Kidd not being in the game is weird since they had that whole strongest Supernovas moment with Law and Luffy, but with Kidd missing it felt weird.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I kept missing that treasure event because I kept killing Enel right away. One of those cases where you have to play somewhat inefficiently for things to happen.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Jibo posted:

Speaking of treasure events. Do some of them not have cutscenes? Starting on the second part of Marineford and up through the next level, none of my treasure events triggered cutscenes, just the little word bubble with the circled question mark. Other cutscenes are playing though.

Something to do with your graphics card probably. I had that happen, and soon story cutscenes were just black screens (but could still be skipped). I'm not sure if I fixed it, but I just changed my power management for my NVIDIA to always max performance for Pirate Warriors. Closing and reopening the game seemed to fix it hence why I think it's a power management issue where the game is too optimized so the card doesn't recognize it.

I could be wrong though since it was just guesswork on my part since you're the first that has mentioned the same issue as me that I've seen online.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 9, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

The White Dragon posted:

Nah, I had the same bug. I think it's related to playing as Luffy, because they played as normal when I was anyone else. You wouldn't have run into it since 100%ing the map requires you to not play as him.

How come some treasure events are fully listed the first time you do a map, and sometimes they aren't? gently caress you Punk Hazard map, "Rescue ??? before fighting ???" is really helpful.

It happened when I was playing as Hancock in Marineford. It fixed itself when I closed the game and restarted.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

What's the verdict on Samurai Warriors 4-II? It's coming out soon and I've missed the past releases of Samurai Warriors.

From what I've heard, it's basically the Xtreme Legends for SW4, only it's not called that due to dumb legal copyright issues.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Jibo posted:

I haven't gotten to play Pirate Warriors 3 much but do you get dual fruit Teach with a game breakingly powerful one bar SP attack again?

Yeah, you have to beat Shanks with Teach first though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Broseph Brostar posted:

Nah they didn't cut any characters and they made a lot of the bad ones usable.

I can't figure out how to unlock Garp, but he supposed to be in the game somewhere.

He's in the dream log, but his island is hidden till you be beat one of the admirals.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Manic X posted:

It saddens me to say that I have played the Dynasty/Samurai Warrior games, as well as Bladestorm and Dynasty Tactics; but have yet to buy a ROTK game. Does liking DW automatically mean I'll like this game?

The only relation the two have is the setting. RoTK is a turn-based strategy game, sort of like the strategy portions of DW: Empires, only with a lot more depth.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Jibo posted:

I wouldn't say my experience with Pirate Warriors 3 has been a bad one but I don't see myself getting any PC Warriors games in the future. It's nice to have it in Steam and maxing out your graphical settings but guessing at the button prompts and dealing with (infrequent) crashes isn't really worth it.

You can change the keybindings you know.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Davincie posted:

i might be misunderstanding you, but isn't this in sw4-1 too?

Yeah it is. SW4-2 is basically an expansion for SW4 with one new character, different story mode, and leveling attributes has been altered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

kvx687 posted:

Story mode is 2500 kills, 1000 !'s, and I think 36 minutes. Dream log is is 2000 kills, 1000 !'s, and 18 minutes. I don't think the requirements change between levels; it's possible some story maps have tighter time requirements, but I don't think I ever noticed any major discrepancies.

There's a couple story levels that are somewhat looser like Thriller Bark since it's a terrible stage, but try to hit the reqs anyways since you don't want to replay Thriller Bark.