Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

I think I must have stopped at DW4, does anyone remember the yellow turban wizard saying something like "You can't defeat my magic" while his voice actor almost cracks up with hysterical laughter?

MAAAAGEEEEEK

I love Warriors games, I've spent way more on them than I feel I can probably justify. DW-wise I've owned every vanilla numbered installment except 1 and 3, never played any XL or Empires. Currently blitzing through DW7's Conquest Mode after having done the story, have to agree that the Musou Mode in DW7 is the best the series has produced. Might pick up WO3 when I next have money.

In terms of Samurai Warriors the only one I've played is 3 on the Wii, which is...uh...if you can get over the fps it's fun. That Nintendo-exclusive Castle thing is also not bad, if balls hard at times.

Sengoku Basara is also pretty fun, even on the Wii version; I figured they'd have to sacrifice a lot of stuff the PS3 one got because of how much weaker the Wii is, but aside from the obvious graphical bonus the PS3 gets they're basically the exact same game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
DW4 also has the dreadful duel system, and that loving Nanman stage. So good it's on both Wu and Shu.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Yeah, I preferred 7 to 8 and it's probably down to the story mode. It's the most coherent and structured of their take on the Three Kingdoms to date. 8 in comparison was a bit of a mess

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
To say nothing of Motochika Chosokabe or Kanbei Kuroda.

Yoshihiro Shimazu, on the other hand, is basically always just a wild old man, only with either a hammer or a slab of metal masquerading as a sword

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Did I once read that Kanetsugu Naoe being such a joke was a dig at Koei because they're all about him or is that just a dumb Internet theory?

Either way there's another excellent contrast between versions.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
If computer AI gets annoying you can always force them to guard a random fort. I've done it to Frederick a few times, man just loves to bum rush enemy commanders, especially when they're mages that rip his tiny resistance to shreds

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Who was the Wei guy with the hooks? Those owned

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
FE Warriors also has character switching. I'd expect it to be in Switch Hyrule

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Drakenel posted:

It's supposed to be slang for getting married.

Nope, debunked to hell and back

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Tae posted:

Tashigi is still probably my favorite character to play as, followed recently by Lyn from FE.

I still haven't dared put Astra on Lyn/Navarre

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
FE Warriors plays fine. Main grievances are that there are a fair few clone movesets (the Pegasus knights all share the same moveset, as do the archers, and there's a few other clones littered here and there). Otherwise it's still good hack and slash mayhem. There are also less duds in the movesets - HW had some weapons that were actively unfun to play and the worst FEW movesets don't come close.

There's also a bit more strategy than HW as you can use the pause menu to order the units you aren't playing as to move, take bases, protect bases etc. When you're nowhere near them they are surprisingly competent. If they're within visual range they don't do poo poo.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I'm sure I've had stuff about it in my news feed

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Stelas posted:

I've started collecting Silver weapons but I'm not sure what I should be doing other than that to beef my guys up.

Just a heads up because I was an idiot about this - try and unlock Brave weapons. I think they're on Lyn's history map mainly. In normal FE games Silver weapons are the best "generic" weapons and Brave have a gimmick to them so I didn't rush to get them, but in this game Brave weapons are basically the A rank generic.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Yeah FE Warriors captains are pretty sturdy. You'll also have ample warning if they are struggling. And if your guy is against someone that will ruin them (pegasus vs archer, Fred vs magic) the game won't shut up about how bad a matchup they're getting into.

Only time I lost significant people was when I went into an Anna map severely underlevelled because I wanted to unlock her ASAP

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Plus to unlock Meng Huo you have to play the stage as intended at least once

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Back when Sima Yi's voice was absolute poo poo, my friend did a great impression of his "It is difficult to fight such untrained savages"

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Well said my ineloquent friend

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

I prefer this depiction of Lu Bu

Lol, I recently showed this to a friend who is familiar with DW and they reacted with "whoa, I can't believe Lu Bu is drinking Pepsi... that's crazy..."

Her tone of voice was as if he had personally sold out and let her down

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
DW8 XL Definitive Edition is currently on sale on Switch (in Europe anyway). I played vanilla DW8 on the PS3 way back, someone convince me it's a good/bad idea to jump in again

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Much like Crash Team Racing has left me unable to adjust to Mario Kart's controls, I can't go back to normal Musou games it seems.

Glad I'm not the only one. A lifetime of Mario Kart muscle memory annihilated by half a year of CTR

To be more on topic, suddenly having a jump button again after playing lots of Hyrule/FE Warriors was jarring

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I believe they added Yuan Shu to DW9

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I cant speak to PW4 specifically in terms of amount of content/replay value, as I've just started PW3. In terms of "is the gameplay enjoyable if you dont know the relevant One Piece arcs", I've seen about three episodes of the anime and nothing else and I'm having a blast, unless they drastically changed things in PW4 then you're probably safe there

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
It's all about Sacred Ground which has had the unfortunate consequence of making Wu Zhang Plains feel underwhelming in every subsequent game

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Hows the Switch version of PW4? I've just beaten legend mode in PW3 on Switch, and although I'm nowhere near done with the game I'm just wondering if its noticeably worse than the other versions when I do get tempted to move on

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I'm still working away at Pirate Warriors 3, having beaten Legend mode, and I'm deliberately using characters I've never touched as much as I can in Dream mode.

drat the Straw Hats all kinda pale in comparison to some of these guys huh? In particular Magellan and Caesar Clown have been a blast so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I have zero knowledge or affinity for One Piece but I v much enjoyed PW3. Ivankov and Caesar Clown were both a lot of fun to play