Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
I feel like I'm missing something about Zhu Ran's weapon. Is there some trick to using it that I haven't chipped to yet, or is it just completely underwhelming and kind of crap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

I honestly quite liked the way DW5 did its story modes: The major faction leaders got a longer, more involved musou mode that hit the important events of the overall tale while subordinate officers got smaller musou modes that chronicled their own involvement in the greater story. I think that was a really smart way to present the game in that it kept any one story mode from dragging on in the manner that DW4's did (or DW8's can) but it still delivered a lot of content.

On a related note, it really bugs me that player 2 can't pick whatever character they want in story mode. I know it's ~not canon~ but the game is honestly a lot more fun when you're not playing rock-paper-scissors to see who doesn't have to play Sima Zhao for the fifth time in a row.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Mortimer posted:

Sima Zhao? The Jin officer whose trademark move is slapping someone and surfing on their body through waves of enemies?

Here it's more of an argument on who *doesn't* play Sima Zhao

The Jin officer who is an insufferable whiny prick, yes.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

...okay I did not play much of DW7 Jin story, but unless 'Chill to a fault' somehow became to be known as whiny, then I am missing something.

This is in DW8. He was slightly less annoying in 7, mostly because he just didn't have much of a personality.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Chortles posted:

You left out Cao Cao being told of this and rewarding the guy with silver. :colbert:

Which really just lends more credence to the line of reasoning that Cao Cao was a fuckload more benevolent than Liu Bei, at least in the practical sense. Guy just lost his wife - he'd need help even (probably especially, actually) if he had other family. We can also recall how he purportedly took care of the "problem" of Yellow Turban remnants near his territory by trying to give them field work or a chance to be part of an army as opposed to just massacring them and ignoring the survivors.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Granted, but on the list of weird poo poo people may or may not have done, giving a guy some cash now that he's down a spouse is at least less dickish than going "oh, how sad! Well, g'bye! :v: "

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Early on you can also use cash at the barracks to get weapon materials that you can convert into facility materials at the merchant.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

zarron posted:

Also you can make a much better weapons than the majority of 5/6 star weapons you have to do missions for.

Is there a trick to this or what, because as near as I can tell the starting point for the process is something along the lines of "pray you get a totally blank lv4 weapon" and then you go from there.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Jesus, what an awful trailer. If they wanted to sell the game based on super-serious tense and dramatic storytelling, they missed by a mile.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Watch the head of the trident when you use the various strong attacks, they leave pretty distinct colored trails.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

That's Guo Jia. He's affiliated with Wei.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

On the flip side, the war trident is a weapon with a gimmick and it's probably my favorite new one in ages. It's a great combination of flash and power, which is kind of a disappointment considering I don't think Yu Jin is selectable in more than one non-free mode level.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

I haven't actively tried to level up fortune hunter, but I got a rank in it from playing Zhang Jiao's story stage. It's replete with mooks and officers.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

I know why they didn't allow you to bring three weapons (because then the rock-paper-scissors system would be meaningless), but man it is just SO HARD sometimes to settle on only two choices :negative:

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is Hyrule Warriors a remarkable Musou game even if I don't have strong feelings about the Zelda series?

It's sincerely quite a good game, yes. Tons of content, tons of mooks and a really refreshing feeling of variety between the cast members. It also has the dumbest, silliest story in a really good way.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

I don't get the love for Tingle. Camp characters are one thing, but he's not funny or interesting or even particularly helpful in any of the other games he's been in :confused:

EDIT: Like this DLC pack is honestly super disappointing. Young Link and Tingle? Why even bother?

Chachi fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 14, 2015

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Davincie posted:

xiahou dun was a nice guy supreme gentleman

:ohdear:

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

I think most of my edit officers are swaps for historical persons. I just think beating on a bunch of dudes with the same weapons and generic costumes gets boring after a while :(

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Xiahou Ba is the stereotypical obnoxious dipshit with lovely voice-acting but a really fun moveset. It happens all the time (which is why empires is best, because I don't have to play as him to have the siege lance be someone's EX weapon :getin: )

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Rutibex posted:

Also, when do I get a horse in Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate? I can apparently fell ancient demons and travel between dimensions, but buying a loving horse is too great a task! I am getting sick of losing stages for lack of being able to run fast enough and defend my retarded team mates :(

Press select :eng101:

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Policenaut posted:

DQ Heroes' release date is leaked.

Sold. :swoon:

Policenaut posted:

Square-Enix's online store is selling an exclusive Day One Edition that includes all the Slime weapons that were sold as retailer-exclusives in Japan. It's the same price as the regular retail version, just if you buy it from Square you get some bonus goodies.

Sold! :syoon:

JUST GIVE IT ME :byodood:

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

My guess would be Attack on Titan, since it's supposed to have a new season and a movie coming out soon.

Please let me be wrong :negative:

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Perhaps, but they should probably save their energy for a better IP.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

gently caress this.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Policenaut posted:

What they did show was Ni-Oh, the PS3 launch game that's been in development for 11 years, and now it's a PS4 game that's essentially a Feudal Japanese Dark Souls starring Geralt and Navi.

Hang on, what? Can you talk some more about this?

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Luminaflare posted:

Honestly if you could actually cut them to pieces dynamically I'd love that.

Star Wars: Revengeance :science:

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

The best way to do an AoT game would be to take plans for the game and put them in the garbage.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Davincie posted:

quick dqh question: do accesoires work when you aren't playing that character? ie: can i give the 3 guys im not playing elevating shoes to make then catch up with xp

It's been a while since I played, but I don't think an accessory does anything when the character isn't in combat.

Edit: To clarify, anyone in your active party counts as "in combat".

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Emalde posted:

this new orochi warriors game is pretty cool

The gently caress is this. :eyepop:

Explain yourself.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Belzac posted:

It's Toukiden 2. The armor sets they added for the new oni look Warriors as hell.

Oh. :negative:

While we're on the subject, can anyone who's played Toukiden tell me about it? Are the controls better than monster hunter?

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Oh, that sounds pretty fun (colors aside)! Good to hear that Koei's capable of learing from Capcom's mistakes as far as gameplay goes. Anyone have any thoughts on Toukiden 2? Is is recommended to start with the first one (the Kiwami version) or just jump ahead to the latest & greatest?

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

I'll say this for the English voice acting in DW games: At least individual characters say different things when you beat an enemy.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Oh my gently caress they did a Bastard!! game at some point?

Dark Schneider / a literal aircraft carrier from warship gunner / musha gundam for musou stars pls :f5:

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Bloodly posted:

I kinda wonder how many non-Japan votes are gonna come in. And how many they may/will throw out(as they reserve the right to do so if they cannot understand what's written).

If people can't be bothered to do two minutes of googling to get the kanji they need for their entries then they don't want it bad enough :colbert:

So much for my Japanese lessons. :negative:

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Sober posted:

Wow I bought DW8 Empires and I am the definition of overwhelmed. The tutorials are there but still. Not sure where to start. Guessing a lowly officer or something is probably easier to start with?

Run at the nearest living thing and kill it. :hist101:

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

He's talking about the strategy layer where you don't get to actively kill things.

I'm fully aware of that fact and my advice stands.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

As someone who has only played one fire emblem game, please give me Greil and Haar. Not hugely worried about anyone else.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

Awakening and Fates

:barf:

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

It's pretty insane they decided to add three furry characters no one wanted over any number of characters they could have ported

No kidding. Out of all the possible koei or tecmo games they could have drawn from, they decide to take a hard left turn into lovely furry OCs? Guess they did me a solid and saved me the cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Red Cliff's Lu Su is a precious treasure and we should all aspire to yell drunkenly at scarecrows like he did.