Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

habeasdorkus posted:

I think that the use of all those 10 dollar words made sense specifically in TEATD in a way they never would have in another book.

The florid description of the throne room is pure gold, that's some of his best prose ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's also gotten much better with QoL improvements so if you haven't played in a while now is a good time. The new skill trees own.

Darktide's core gameplay is really good. You spend 20-30 minutes on a mission dealing out breathtaking amounts of violence on a constant swarm of hordes and special enemies. If you have Gamepass, do not sleep on this game.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Waroduce posted:

def picking up the Rogue Trader just to have it as a coffee table piece

It's a gorgeous book. There's so much artwork in it, not all of up to modern standards, but that's part of its charm.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

This rivals the Astartes videos. loving genius, 100% full stop, this happened.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Kindle pre-orders for EatD vol 2 are up!

https://www.amazon.com/End-Death-Horus-Heresy-Siege-ebook/dp/B0CKVZPHHJ/

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

wiegieman posted:

The Magos.

There's a reading order in Magos that sorts all of the short stories and novels into their proper place in the timeline. So technically you should start the whole series with Magos because there's a short that comes before the first Eisenhorn novel. But no worries, read the shorts now and then do it all proper on a re-read.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

I remember a bunch of these shorts from my Eisenhorn ombibus, but are any of them trickier to grab? A bit annoying to buy single stories on the BL site.

Check if they're in Magos.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Mazed posted:

if they let Orikan into the book he and Trazyn would just steal the show and it'd just be The Infinite and the Divine 2

which would be great, there should be an Infinite and the Divine 2

I'd be especially down for I&D 2 if it were covering a huge, setting-wide event from the perspective of two characters who don't care about it in the slightest.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Kylaer posted:

If Black Library thought they could make money publishing stories in which the most violent scene is when someone raised their voice in an argument, they would.

Some authors like to put in slices of life with their side characters. In one of the Ravenor books there's a city cop who lives with her uncle, once a great composer he's been lost to what looks like Alzheimers. It adds a lot to the story and adds a strong human element to the setting. I'll gladly read as many of those asides as writers care to put in their books.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Also mad respect to anyone who has the mental constitution to read every single Heresy book because there's not a chance in hell I'll ever do that.

Some of us did that on release, and did not have the wisdom of those who went before us as guidance.

Also, IT'S HERE! IT'S HERE!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Luetin, Occulus Imperia and Arbitor Ian are good starts.

These three are a really solid start for lore channels. Ian has a nice, solid down to earth take on everything. I particularly like the book club series he had going with Myra Mange (see does 40k author interviews on her own channel, check those out too). Oculus has the conceit that he's one of Guilliman's historitors and he's recording history in-universe. I love his vocal style. So relaxing. He's going through 40K backstory starting with the consolidation wars on Terra and is up to the Betrayal at Calth.

Luetin gets high as gently caress and writes six-hour scripts about the nature of the emperor. He also puts out some pretty tight videos on specific topics, but yeah, sometimes he just gets high and writes scripts. This is a plus in my book, too many people take 40K too seriously.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

I'm not hating on Abnett BTW. He chooses his words with extreme care to make the imagery work. But I can also see it as the sort of thing an AI could easily make a superficial facsimile of. Much like how an AI is but a pale imitation of a human mind without any real intelligence.

The big problem with having an AI try to TEATD something, is that there's dozens of voices in the book, it'd just give you a mashup that's just generic 40K prose.

In the desolate realm of my hunger, I shall summon forth a legion of fried potato tendrils, their crispy forms resembling skeletal fingers reaching from the depths of the fryer, to accompany the charred flesh of the burger, a grotesque yet satisfying union of emptiness and fullness.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

0konner posted:

Without weighing in on which era is better overall, I liked the scars books in the heresy I don’t think I’m the only one in this thread.

Nope, the Heresy-era White Scars books, including specifically Warhawk, are all really good.

I really want to do White Scars for Legionnes Imperialis, but I hate the idea of an all-white paint scheme.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Infinite and the Divine was incredibly cool and singularly unique as far as wild adventure across space and time, but honestly I think twice dead king might supplant it in my mind as I'm going through now. I just love how rich and emotional these gotdamn killer robits are. Lots of super memorable characters.

Both works are great in different ways. IatD is an action comedy, and ultimately a bit fluffy. neither main character learns a drat thing from what they went through, and that's a big part of the joke. Twice Dead is a serious character study with a strong arc and an excellent plot for the character to be in while they develop.

In a way it's like trying to pick which is better between Alien and Aliens. They're both at the very peak of their respective genres and are very different movies. The only possible criteria is based on which genre you enjoy more, and that's subjective and says nothing about the actual quality of the films.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

sharknado slashfic posted:

The again this is the publisher that decided the astartes are named after Dr. Astarte and not simply a nod to a war goddess.

There's zero chance, no loving way at all, that the Emperor's pet project is named after the mortal lead scientist He assigned to lead the project. Exactly integer zero chance. If anything, her name in the history books is based on the project, not the other way round.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It was extremely obvious that GW said "USE THE CAESTUS ASSAULT RAM" to Abnett and so he wrote the most metal use of it he could :black101:

TBF, if you use a Caestus in a story and it isn't :black101: AF, you're doing it wrong.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

I think the scene that best exemplifies it is during the boarding sequence where a marine opens a door and fires three shots in half a second. You know three (or more) people just died in an instant and the marine had them zeroed the instant the door started to open. Just inhuman speed and precision.

They pass by an open door iirc. And yeah, how many people were in there? How many shots did he fire? That many.

Reacting to the anti-material rifle ambush was also crazy. They react perfectly to the incoming fire that could actually hurt them, then their flanker cleans up the threat. I do think that was kind of a waste of two bolter rounds, that close up there's no need for shooting. Melee murder would have been harder to animate and lacked the bit where the marine looms out of the dark lit only by muzzle flashes, so I'll accept it as an artistic choice.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, Bobby G absolutely dumpsters a bunch of greater daemons at the Lion's Gate when he gets back to Terra. And that's after Guilliman had beaten up Magnus on Luna.

I love how in The Dark City they completely miss all of that even though they're going to use the same webway gate. There's some vox chatter that's obviously bullshit so Lijes just completely disregards it. Oops.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

There's a lot to it. Here's a good play through of the opening of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dni-zgj0i8

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Laughing Zealot posted:

Is it ok to jump on Sea of Souls without having read any of the Dawn of fire books?

Yeah, get in on that ASAP. It's the best in the series but...

sharknado slashfic posted:

Just finished Sea of Souls. I'm very depressed but daaaamn.

It's the good, old-fashioned grimdark.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

Magos before Pariah.

Magos has a reading order that includes all the short stories. Follow that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

That seems familiar, but I can't place it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

instead they apparently just turned it off without further difficulty.

To keep up verisimilitude, every so often Space Marines just get to go "mission accomplished, no casualties, proceeding with exfiltration".

The Urdesh duology is so good in so many ways.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Still a week for the Kindle edition per Amazon just now.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Kylaer posted:

And yes Erebus is always the worst.

Potato Salad posted:

Holy poo poo gently caress Erebus with a rake :tviv:

Broken Record Talk posted:

Fuuuuckin’ Erebus! Where’s a good servitor with a box when you need one!

:argh:

Angry Lobster posted:

Also, gently caress Samus and gently caress Erebus, seriously he's the biggest piece of poo poo to ever existed

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

gently caress erebus. i know loken dying was thematically appropriate but ugh i hate that loving guy

wiegieman posted:

I love the idea of Erebus. How do you even become the guy who is the worst guy in the universe when it's this universe? It takes a lot of goddamn work, that's how.

Paddyo posted:

Can someone just kill Erebus already? That freaking guy…

habeasdorkus posted:

Regardless of what anyone thinks of the book, I think we can all agree: gently caress Erebus.

So say we all.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

you already do Eisenhorn?

Do that series sooner rather than later.

Also look into Rite of Passage. Really good, character-driven intrigue in a Navigator house.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Would you say.... we are missing the point.

Edit: https://youtu.be/0XgSvWgYJ-c?si=WHcLoOjYVT25Fat

Pro-click.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

LashLightning posted:

Mike Brooks has made his way into the Good Black Library Author canon. Brutal Kunning, Orks and Adeptis Mechanicus having at each other.

I just looked at my 40K folder on my Kindle to decide the next book I'd red, had two novels to choose from and decided I'd go with whichever was a Mike Brooks book. They were both by Mike Brooks.

Bonus Mike Brooks interview,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVuM8SBsIpk

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

So I'm on a bit of a Mike Brooks roll lately. I read the Lion novel, which is just some stuff that happened. Then on to Harrowmaster, which just starts fast and interesting and stays that way for the half of the book I've read so far. I definitely picked the right order to read those in. On to Ork stuff next!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

D-Pad posted:

Mike Brooks is perfect for it.

I've seen an interview with him, he was born to write these books.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVuM8SBsIpk

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The old Fear The Alien anthology had an excellent short called Mistress Baeda's Gift about a deldar archon falling in love. I think the author may have been from the black library open submission thingy for that year.

That's a really great story. No ebook option unfortunately.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Nessus posted:

Sounds like I should deprioritize these gentlemen from future reading. It’s a shame, I was eyeing the Salamanders omnibus

That's a dodged bullet right there, those are not good books.

Kylaer posted:

Maybe with BL's recent willingness to expand into xeno books I should overcome my depression and get some more Doc Eldar content written in publishable format.

Except due to the name retcon he'd have to be Dr. Ukhari :getin:

You should absolutely do this. And also the mural artist at an Assassin recovery facility, that was great.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Nessus posted:

A shame, the Sals seem the most interesting good guy Marines. Do the White Scars get books?

Yeah, their Heresy era books are really good.

NihilCredo posted:

I didn't get the impression that it was a recovery facility, but a training one. Did I miss a hint?

Maybe a little of both, but the focus was on assassins recovering after a mission so that's what I picked up on.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Kylaer posted:

So this is the piece I wrote and posted back in October 2015. It's been a long time. I was a different person then, who had accomplished a lot less and also lost a lot less.

That's really good. If you can top that now, BL should absolutely start buying your work. If they don't, know you have fans.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Rugikiki posted:

Anybody just seeing kylaer’s work absolutely needs to check their post history and read the doc eldar stories!

Surely you mean the Dr. Ukhari stories.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

There's also the Locked Tomb series by Tamsyn Muir but it's pretty mandatory that you're a dumb little gay like me you've got some tolerance for the tropes of queer romance fiction if you wanna get into that.

I am both old and straight and The Locked Tomb is one of my favorite series in the last several years. It's therefor objectively good and you should check it out. The first elevator pitch for it was "lesbian necromancers in space", but then people pointed out that it wasn't really an "in space" story, so the first book is now officially "lesbian necromancers solve a haunted house".

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah I was in high school when it came out so I suppose it might be worth a reread soon

Dan Abnett is being interviewed about Titanicus tomorrow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3djJvM4yQQ

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

LOL if GW loses another major shipment to a terrorist attack.

The initial Titanicus release for the US market was on the plane that was blown top over Lockerbie.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Containers just plain fall off of ships all the time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Laughing Zealot posted:

From the new Custodians codex:

:getin:

Shots loving fired.