Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I just want to tell you guys that I've been interested in getting into the BL for sometime, since the 40K mythology always sounded like such a balls-out universe that it couldn't help but have cool stories to tell. (I have zero interest in the table-top game and other non-BL applications.) So finally, on the advice of this thread, I have delved into Eisenhorn and I'm not regretting it one bit.

Count me as another vote to keep the fluff discussion in here, since the tabletoppers seem a little too...motivated. I'd feel like a poser in there.

Now I just have to start keeping straight all the various factions/powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I love it. Like, I don't even understand 75% of what you guys are saying but I'm totally on board.

So...do I just keep reading Abnett? He seems like the best prose stylist among the BL authors, from just a quick assessment. After Eisenhorn, do I go to Gaunt's Ghosts or Horus Heresy, or what?!?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Thanks for all the suggestions, and yes I will commit the OP to memory. That wiki is also going to suck up whole chunks of time, I'm sure.

Ravenor is next and I can't wait. It's been a long time since I had a bunch of "easy" fiction on my reading pile, so it feels good to just plow through a huge omnibus and have a blast the whole time, knowing there are thousands more pages where that came from.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Evil_Urna posted:

Is this going to be a new trilogy?

Also the cover is totally badass:

:hawaaaafap:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Is there an edition of Eisenhorn that looks more like Ravenor (and also apparently Pariah) in terms of cover art/style? I only have an electronic version of E.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

loving right you would. Me too. I'm holding out hope that after the omnibus trilogy is published they'll do a box-set release. I wonder if it'd be worth their effort...I bet a lot of BL readers would re-buy.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

What is this witchcraft? I thought the release date was in Oct/Nov?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Just picked up The Best of Hammer & Bolter Vol. 1 on sale...will I still regret it?

Otherwise I guess it's on to Gaunt's Ghosts since ADB has written too few novels for my taste. Still holding off on Horus until I'm about 30 books deep into the regular BL.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

berzerkmonkey posted:

Wait - you ranked Helsreach third? Maybe it is because you're new and didn't realize how awesome that book really was...

Does anyone read Hammer & Bolter? I'm curious as to your thoughts on the quality of the stories. When it was still a thing, I used to read Inferno - while the stories weren't spectacular, they were readable and usually halfway decent. H&B seems to be chock full of terrible, terrible stories that border on Internet fan fiction.

I got the "best of, vol. 1" omnibus since I had a coupon, thinking that the sheer size of it meant that something worthwhile was inside.

I was wrong. Therefore I would advise against even bothering with H&B in general.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

:black101:

Just publish it already, we don't care if it's edited or proof-read, goddamnit!

Count me in for Team Eisenhorn. I love Ravenor as a character and a concept, but I'm sticking with the old coot until proven wrong.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, apparently so. The BL site has it as OOS as well. They might be preparing for the collection?

I'm gonna need confirmation on this before I'm forced to go back to B&N and pick up their copies of the individual paperbacks.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Now I'm worried that Abnett's super-secret thing is going to move the plot. I used to think that I wanted resolution on the Emperor (lo, these few months ago when I was but a wee 40k newb), but I think I've gotten over that. Grimdark forever.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

berzerkmonkey posted:

Look at it like this: if the Emperor dies, the Imperium will crumble. There will be no story, no game. If he ascends to become the Star Child (or whatever) he will beat the everloving crap out of the major Chaos gods and the story essentially ends.

Everything does not require a resolution - this isn't a book or movie. It's an ongoing story.

And with that, you've put into words the way I have come to feel about the overall feeling of chaotic stasis in the universe. Early in my reading of 40k fiction, I wanted the plot to advance, because I hadn't fully appreciated the BL as that type of art that doesn't need to interpret itself or progress internally in order to successfully move the audience. I understand now that this general stasis is not only the central engine of 40k's factions and motives, but also the state that makes it possible for a BL piece to have lasting impact on more than one generation of readers.

In one sense, I think this is a serious failing of the HH series; while it's obviously nice to read a quality treatment of the battles we'd previously only been able to imagine, by definition it begins to erode some of the mystery and fuzziness and multiple-perspective on the past that gives the mythology a lot of its internal power. Similarly I think exploring the 42nd millennium would steal some thunder from both the HH setting and the 40k setting. I'd like to see HH get wrapped up fairly soon, lest it become even more crowded than 40k (since the timespan is so much narrower for HH).

Edit: I guess I could get behind a plot movement that ends up with roughly the same state of tension, if it were managed carefully and didn't give anybody too much power at the expense of everyone else. That could potentially be acceptably interesting.

mdemone fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 28, 2012

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Demiurge4 posted:

Cool, but I imagine the snag is that in order to restore him, it has to be pronounced in his presence.

If the Bequin trilogy leads into this kind of Emperor-related stuff and ties to Abnett's secret project, that will kick enormous rear end.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mr.48 posted:

Lets face it, if GW/BL are going to let any author write something that huge, it would be Abnett.

That's why I'm suddenly getting all jacked up about Abnett's project. He's the only one I can imagine being given the green light for something like that -- ADB is more talented, but Abnett's deserves it more and would probably do it slightly better.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Demiurge4 posted:

Everything is hosed up in 40k. Although it makes me wonder if none of the primarchs ran an anatomy check on themselves to understand how they were built. It would make sense for some of the more practically minded ones, but in all the books every apothecary just goes "oh poo poo what do we do? Call the Emperor!" because nobody ever imagined their Primarch could so much as break a bone.

Pffft, if the Emperor is powerful enough to bind daemons or other massive psychic forces into a crunchy primarch shell, surely he can remotely influence their self-diagnostics to appear as if they were generally of similar type as the Astartes. Retcon complete, next plot hole?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Cardiac posted:

So are they doing reprints of popular Black Library novels now?
Just ordered Blood Reaver by ADB from my favourite SF/F-book store after it's been unavailable for the last couple of months.

The Night Lords trilogy is coming out in an omnibus edition and thus the individual paperbacks are no longer shipping to stores. For a while there, copies were going for $20-40 on Amazon. Not sure if that is still the case.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Night Lords could be a great miniseries but the budget would be nuts.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I think it would be exciting enough to reveal the stories of the missing primarchs. Advancing the Big E's plot would just be an orgasm, and then you're left with nothing else to do and a sticky mess.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Baron Bifford posted:

There's some stuff from Abnett that says that really powerful beings such as greater daemons don't suffer much from the presence of untouchables (Bequin tried to take out a Chaos Titan and was killed by the feedback). It's kind of contradictory, suggesting that there is a sort of bell curve of suffering related to the psyker's strength.

This kind of makes sense, in a vacuum of knowledge about how blanks actually function as such. "Normal" psykers can get stymied by your standard blank, but you might expect that a group of psykers, or a particularly asymmetrically powerful one, could manage to project a bit more strongly and overcome the blank. Only stands to reason that the Big E could wipe his rear end with one.

Although maybe I've forgotten something in the fluff that essentially makes blanks like multiplying by zero, such that any and all psykers are equally vulnerable to a given blank. That wouldn't be very exciting however, and could open potentially world-breaking loopholes.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Why didn't Horus just physically throw a blank at the Emperor's head, then? Surely we have to have something ex machina to preserve E's status, lest any old meatbag wander by the throne room and gently caress up his day.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

TheStampede posted:

That, and I'd think their general nature of isolation and introversion wouldn't make them the best candidates for the space-bros. Even non-psykers don't want to be around them and are affected by their blankness.

Do we know whether that effect is due to non-psyker humans having some very tiny but "natural" degree of psychic activity, or if it's actually simply because the blanks are social weirdos?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Neurosis posted:

Well, Terminus Est was broken by Baldanders. Duh.

I keep meaning to re-read that because I'm not sure how much I understood the first time through.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Neurosis posted:

A little more will make sense the second time through. Then on the third read you'll realise you don't know anything. And on the fourth... THERE ARE TWO SEVERIANS HOLY FUCKKKKKKK

:psyboom:

VanSandman posted:

The gently caress you talking about?

It's their fault, they mentioned Terminus Est.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

lenoon posted:

The hammer and Bolter anthology (at least the first one) has some crackin' stories. Well worth picking up.

I had the opposite impression. Therefore I recommend that if anyone thinks they might be interested in it, at least flip through it in the store to see how you feel.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

VanSandman posted:

Has the Black Library released a Night Lords Omnibus? Because if they haven't, they need to. The two short stories and 'Throne of Lies' need to be included as well. If you're looking for a good audio drama, Throne of Lies is really excellent, by the way.

I thought an omnibus was planned. I keep trying to give my money to GW for a print copy of Night Lords, but they don't seem to want to take it.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Noctis Horrendae posted:

I'll try it out if I can find some cheap paperbacks. Thanks for the recommendations, fellas.

You may have to snoop around for used copies of the Night Lords books, since they're out of print in advance of the omnibus being released. You'd have thought GW wouldn't pull the pulps until the omnibus hit shelves, but that would imply somebody over there could find their rear end with both hands.

Seriously guys I'm trying to give you money. Take it already.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

That is a pretty cool artwork. I'd like to see a lot more since Big E pics aren't really that common. Anyone have a bunch they can post?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I've been wanting to read Inquisition War, and that excerpt pushed me over the edge. But am I going to learn all kinds of stuff that has been retconned into being invalid? I won't bother if so.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fair enough. I don't mind if some stuff is out of the canon by now, just as long as the Emperor isn't running a machine shop in Terre Haute or something.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

While we're somewhat talking about the toys: I'm interested in obtaining just one model, sort of as a desktop knick-knack, since I've quite enjoyed my BL reading over the past couple of years but have zero interest in getting involved with tabletop.

What's the coolest miniature you guys have seen (that is available for sale at a decent price)?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

PantsOptional posted:

What exactly would you call a "decent price?" Also, are you willing to assemble and paint the model or are you looking for a pre-painted model?

I'm only willing to assemble and paint if it can be done cheaply and quickly without looking terrible. So probably not at all.

Decent price = less than $50. Would consider a bit more if it were a tremendously awesome model. Only :black101: pieces considered.

Edit: man, a couple of the pieces on eBay are killer. Hmmm…

Edit 2: holy poo poo there are way too many listings. Guess that's why I'm asking!

mdemone fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 11, 2014

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mechafunkzilla posted:

One does not start shopping for 40k models with "affordable" on their mind.

Anyway, you know that they're really tiny (like, an inch high) and one of them will be barely noticeable on a table or desk, right?

Yep, I love tiny stuff like that. It's only for my personal enjoyment, anyway. Probably for the best if nobody can tell from 50 yards that I have a space mans on my workspace…

Edit: That Lorgar is exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for. Will definitely keep an eye on Horus as well. But is it me or is that website totally poo poo?

mdemone fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 11, 2014

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fried Chicken posted:

ADB just posted that Talon of Horus a finished, which at this point I believe would mean editing, rewrites, typo hunting and the like are done. Onward to printing and shipping!

Well that ought to be a good beach read in summer 2015.

berzerkmonkey posted:

GW is just fluffing out the in-between - if you don't like it, be more selective about the books you read.

Which is why I feel great about only having read the Abnett and ADB entries in the HH series. All the other guys can take a flying gently caress at a rolling ork.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

VanSandman posted:

Shut up, they might hear you!

It's too good of an idea for GW to adopt it. I think that's the criterion for their business decisions actually.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I require this.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Night Lords omnibus has hit the shelves; do your duty to the Legion.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Laughing Zealot posted:

Skip it.

It's got some fun stories, but you can read them later.

Oh! Well that is good, I'd stalled out on Gaunt early on in Ghost Maker because I wanted something more like First & Only. If it's skippable then I'll go right to Necropolis, which is supposed to be one of the best ones, yes?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Waroduce posted:

Im not usually a McNeil fan, but ive been reading Priests of Mars and holy poo poo its actually good. Not like good enough not finish, I mean I am legit enjoying it.

That's good to hear; I've been putting off reading Priests/Lords because it's McNeill, despite wanting to know more about the Mechanicum. Maybe I'll find some time for them over the next month or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Wax Dynasty posted:

As someone pointed out to me once, there is no need for :goonsay: Every post in this thread is :goonsay:

Sometimes I yearn for group pictures of the various megathread regulars. We'd be a motley fuckin' crew, I have no doubt.