Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

Basically none of them.

Well, The Lion is readable, but some of the others just keep dragging the gently caress on. The first one is definitely terrible, though.

Yeah - I still haven't got through that book. I'm stuck on the Iron Warriors story. I liked the way the Lucius story started out - I thought McNeill did a good job of writing the scene of a debauched king and his court. I could just see something that looked like the palace at Versailles filled with nine-foot tall maniacs in power armor doing crazy things. The Pear of Anguish was completely unnecessary though.

Also, I'm going to be selling off my BL books, as I rarely read anything twice. What is the average going rate for gently used BL books in SA Mart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

It always annoys me that GW decided that blood angels are just plain red now. The colour scheme shift from 2nd to 3rd ed left all the locals very confused at my army.

You're talking the red with black trim and joints? Yeah, I think they did that because their reds were so lovely at the time that if you accidentally hit the red armor with your black brush, you basically had to shoot yourself in the face.

The probably more accurate answer is that it was easier for kids to spray their Marines red and get in the game and buy more stuff.

When I repaint mine, I'll likely still do the black joints - or maybe a couple of black washes.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 12, 2012

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm selling off a bunch of my BL books in SA Mart if anyone is interested: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495517

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mr.48 posted:

How are the Necromunda books? I've read Survival of the Fittest and liked that one, how are the rest in comparison?
To be honest, it has been so long since I read them, I can't remember.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

CommissarMega posted:

DEFF SKWADRON
Indeed.

I think Bloodquest and Daemonifuge were ok, though it's been so long since I read them. You might also want to check out the Warhammer Monthly comics they did for a while. Honestly though, you're not going to get anything spectacular (the exception being DEFF SKWADRON.)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

Yeah, I know of that, but why couldn't they access it like the Eldar do? Why did they need to build that gateway on Terra? Why can't humans access the existing gates the Old Ones built?

Because humans don't know where the "doors" are. On top of that, the Webway is like a labyrinth, and if you don't know the structure, you will get lost. Finally, much of the Webway is in disrepair, and many of the doors and tunnels have collapsed.

There is fluff regarding some Inquisitors having used the Webway, but for the most part, it's pretty much Eldar exclusive.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Cooked Auto posted:

A chainsword also makes an appearance as a mystic artifact in one of the Mark of Chaos lore books that were released years ago.
In the old Realm of Chaos books, Chaos champions could receive all sorts of stuff like chainswords, bolters, and plasma pistols. Those were awesome, awesome days.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

I read some tech-priests also replace parts of their brains with electronics, becoming living computers themselves comparable to any AI you see in sci-fi.
Parts are replaced, but they are still "human" brains. Just more calculating and logical. A true AI would be built from the ground up and has the capability of becoming self-aware and learning.

Mr.48 posted:

I've always understood those to be advanced programs tailored to a particular task, not true AI's since they are not sentient or capable of learning new behaviors.
They're sentient, but it's an animal sentience. Animals learn, but they rely on instinct more than anything else. There have been some descriptions of Titans using actual animal sentience as their base level of programming. Warlord Titans are grizzly bears, Warhounds are dogs or wolves, etc. I want to say it was Abnett in the Titan comic that said this...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kegslayer posted:

The ending seems typical Abnett but it's definitely one of the better HH books that Abnett has written so go pick it up if you have the chance.
"Better HH books?" I would go as far to say "Best HH book." In my eyes, it has been the first time ever that the Ultramarines have been portrayed that well.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

It's possible that there are indeed planets that are socially more friendly to psykers, so long as they still gather them up for screening. The Librarians in some Space Marine Chapters, for instance, are definitely considered to be of high-status and given leadership roles.
There are planets where the populous is friendly to psykers. But they've all fallen to Chaos. The problem is, if you get chummy with a psyker, you're not going to want to send him/her off to the Blackships. So you hide the psyker. Then that psyker becomes a conduit for some greater daemon because he/she never a)had the training to control the psychic powers; or b)was put down by the Inquisition.

Of course, this is an overgeneralization, but it's pretty par for the course. Psykers are to be feared for a reason - they can really ruin your day if left unchecked.

As for the Marines, they don't go out and selectively choose psykers - their psykers happen to be recruits who show an aptitude for psychic powers.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

yaboonabi posted:

Has anyone given The Last Chancers by Gav Thorpe a leaf-thru? I've only just learned of their existence, and I'm wondering if they're worth tracking down.

If I remember correctly (and it has been a long, long time since I read them, mind you), they really pissed me off because Gav Thorpe would constantly shift from first- to third-person. I could certainly be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure this is why I couldn't even start the third book of the series.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 26, 2012

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Gooses and Geeses posted:

Little fish, fifteen hours is awful little fish. What on earth is good about it little fish?
Bullshit. Fifteen Hours is a good book that shows how hosed up life in the Imperial Guard is.

Cream_Filling posted:

There's other Warhammer books with female leads?
There will be. http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/pariah.html

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

Does the Imperium use messenger ships to handle the bulk of its communications? From what I understand, astropaths are too few and too inefficient to handle it all. Who gets to use astropaths anyway? What priority is given?

I would think that standard, not-priority communications would be handled just like they are now - by courier (Post Office, UPS, etc.) Priority communications are carried by astropathic communication. Most planets have at least one astropath, and depending on the planet, they can have an entire choir.

If you've ever seen a WW2 movie where there were a bunch of people sitting in a room on teletypes sending and receiving messages, that's effectively what the choir works like. You have someone in charge who dictates the priority of messages, but for the most part, communications are bounced from one astropathic node to the next, until the destination is reached.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

CommissarMega posted:

The fluff of the DH book (Book of Judgement) is great at fluffing out both the Arbites and their opponents- which is good, because in terms of mechanics, it varies between iffy and :shepicide: (seriously, a 1d10+9 shotgun with semi-auto capabilities?).

What? Are you under the impression that a shotgun like that couldn't exist? http://www.undeadreport.com/2007/12/aa-12-shotgun-anti-zombie-weapon-of-choice/

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

drkhrs2020 posted:

I've always seen the Arbites glossed over or given a cursory mention, but they seem ripe for a good story. They're basically the Federal Marshals of the Imperium and would make a great vehicle for a hard boiled detective story.

There have been a couple of stories with Arbites (a few by Abnett), but I think the problem is that most people who read 40K fiction want to read about Marines or Guard or Orks blowing poo poo up. A 40K detective story pretty much winds up being a regular detective story with random 40K buzzwords sprinkled in.

Personally, this isn't a problem, but I think BL concentrates on the type of fiction that it can claim as its "own." You can get a detective novel anywhere, but you can't get a novel about vampiric space knights fighting fungus monsters.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

The Imperium is said to be a very oppressive regime, but the fluff says that the Imperium often exerts very little control over the internal politics of its worlds. As long as a planet worships the Emperor, shuns xenos, and pays its tithes, the Imperium lets it handle its affairs as it pleases. By this alone, there is no reason a vibrant democracy couldn't develop on one of its worlds. If all the Imperium is grimdark and that plenty of planets want to rebel, then there must be more to it. What does the Imperium do to planets to keeps them stagnant and oppressive?
Planetary governors are chosen by the Imperium. As is the case with many non-democracies, succession is determined by birth. As time goes on, the position is less of a stewardship and more of a birthright. The ruling class gets more and more detached, and identifies with the populous less and less. Life gets more and more oppressive.

That isn't to say that there are exceptions to the rule, but if I grew up on a world that was entirely devoted to making tanks to fuel a galactic war effort, I would probably think it was pretty oppressive.

"Vacation? Sorry. The Minervan 15th needs 4000 Leman Russes immediately to fight insurgents in the Scarus Sector. You'll be pulling double shifts for the next three years."

That and the fact that anyone could accuse you of being a witch at any time...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

EyeRChris posted:

Also are there any stores (book or just short stories) from BL that follow the orks in depth? Got a kindle fire so if its ebooks I'm still good.
The only one that I know of is from the Fear the Alien collection. It's a story about some Kommandos sneaking up on an IG outpost. It's got a little from the Ork POV, but it is pretty much GW policy not to write from the POV of Orks or Tyranids, since they're "too alien" for us to understand.

That being said, if you can track down some of the old 'Ere we go! or Freebootaz Ork sourcebooks from Rogue Trader days, you'll find some short bitz of Orky goodness.

Fried Chicken posted:

One of the Horus Heresy books has a quick one line mention of Orks the size of titans.
Whaaaaa? What book was this in? I've seen stuff about Ork Gargants being the size of Titans, but not actual Orks... Ghazghkull is about the biggest, baddest Ork out there and he tops out at around 12 feet or so in his armor.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

Is there a proper scientific term to describe a trait or combination of traits that are permanently lost through cross-breeding?
Evolution? Not kidding, evolution is defined as:

quote:

Change in the genetic composition of a population during successive generations, as a result of natural selection acting on the genetic variation among individuals, and resulting in the development of new species
So through process of evolution, specific traits are lost.

That being said, I'm not sure if traits are ever truly lost - people still are born with vestigial tails, webbed digits, etc. I think the traits are still embedded in the genetic code, it's just that they are so far down, they rarely surface.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

When the Emperor began his Great Crusade, how did his ships navigate the Warp if he wasn't on Terra to project the Astronomican?
Per the 40K Wikia:

quote:

The Chamber of the Astronomican is located beneath the Himalayan Mountains of Terra. It was built by the Emperor of Mankind as a focus for his fathomless psychic power. Originally, the Emperor fueled and directed the beacon himself, projecting a beam of unimaginable psychic power and range through the Warp. How this was done in the early days of the Great Crusade is not clear, as the Emperor was off-world leading the war effort personally much of the time until handing command of the endeavor over to the Warmaster Horus after the Crusade against the Orks on Ullanor.

During the Horus Heresy, the Emperor of Mankind's Imperial Webway project drew more and more of the Emperor's psychic might away from the maintenance Astronomican as he sought to penetrate the corridors of the Eldar's Webway and claim it for Mankind, weakening its signal. Malcador the Sigillite suggested a compromise: the beacon would be fueled instead by the psychic and life energies of 10,000 sacrificial psykers, freeing the Emperor to finish his great work. The Emperor approved the notion only with the greatest of reluctance, but also made it clear that it could be only a temporary solution, for he had no intention of killing a thousand men and women a day indefinietly.

Tragically, the Emperor would never resume his former role because of the wounds he suffered at the hands of Horus during the Heresy's climactic Battle of Terra, though his mind would continue to calibrate the psychic beam's frequency following his physical internment in the Golden Throne. Because of its vital role in the running of the Imperium, the Astronomican has great religious significance for believers in the creed of the Imperial Cult and the Emperor's divinity and it is also called the Light of the Emperor, the Ray of Hope or the Golden Path.

In the present time, the Astronomican is a complex piece of machinery powered by ten-thousand specially-trained psykers, whose life-forces are exhausted in a matter of months maintaining the beacon. Their ranks must therefore be replenished constantly with fresh recruits drawn from the tithe of psykers brought by the Black Ships to Terra to be used by the Adeptus Astronomica..

Short answer: I dunno.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Trast posted:

As much as I love my kindle I was able to pick up both of these in paperback on Amazon for half the cost of the e-books. I really wish e-books could be unbound from brick and mortar store pricing.
Look on the bright side. The books are from GW - you'd never get a retail break from them anyway!

In all seriousness though, if anyone is looking to catch up on books, check out the used books on Amazon. Some of the BL books go for as little as $3 shipped.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The Night Lords characters are tortured each in their own way. The Templars are just religious fanatics.

And there is a 10,000 year gap between "species" of Marines. All of the HH era Marines (Night Lords included) are more "human" than their 40K era counterparts. Dogma, conditioning, and flaws in geneseed have created a creature pretty far removed from humanity.

ADB also highlights this in The Emperor's Gift where Hyperion mentions that he has no way of determining whether or not Annika is attractive, while Bjorn the Fellhanded, who was around in the time of the Emperor, seems to be able to do so with no problem.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Almost everything to do with "not following the Codex Astartes" in the Black Library range is absolute stupidity of the worst kind. It's the hallmark of lovely, unimaginative, thoughtless writing. No one, except Abnett, seems to recognise that it isn't meant to just be a list of black and white rules.
Except replace "the Codex Astartes" with "the Bible" or "the Koran" and, woah! People follow it without question to the point of fanaticism. It happens in real life, so why not in a fictional world?

Add to that the fact that for a ling time, military tactics were word for word out of a text and there was no deviation whatsoever. Why the hell do you think the British troops hated the Colonists so much? We were savages for hiding behind trees and shooting their commanders!

I have no problem with believing that over ten thousand years things have become so warped that some organizations view the Codex as a sacrosanct text - the Ultramarines most of all. Their primarch wrote the drat thing - of course they're all ga-ga over it.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

It's a wonder that the Imperium has survived so long. The gods of war severely punish those who do not innovate in their strategies.

Besides, I hear that most Chapters are willing to be a little flexible with their methods. Even the Ultramarines aren't the most rigid adherents out there.
True, many chapters view the Codex as a guideline and a brilliant treatise, but the Ultramarines are pretty cut and dry when it comes to the Codex.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Thulsa Doom posted:

• Is gradually evolving into a fifth Chaos God that will rip the entire galaxy into a new Eye of Teror
Huh? There is the Star Child fluff, but basically that entails him becoming the most powerful psychic being ever who will lead mankind to a glorious age. The fifth Chaos god thing is a result of the fall of mankind, like the fall of the Eldar.

Fried Chicken posted:

Didn't they just say recently that they plan on doing more to fill in the last 10k years, given the success and popularity of the whole Badab War thing?
Forge World is going to be doing the Horus Heresy for Imperial Armour.

Arquinsiel posted:

Mo'rcck is pure "gently caress you" given how many times he sued them over stealing Fantasy wholesale from him.
Morcock never sued GW. He probably could have in the early days, but waaay too much time has elapsed and GW has pretty much made the concept their own at this point. Now GW has been sued by Tolkien - apparently, his estate owns the word "Dwarves" and that is why in the GW world more than one Dwarf is referred to as "Dwarfs."

Baron Bifford posted:

I do not understand why writing the 42nd millenium will destroy interest in the 41st. You can write stories set in the Imperium's future just as much as you can in its past, with the tabletop game still firmly remaining in the 41st.
You can't write the future of 40K without affecting the game itself. In addition, once you make the decision to write in the future, you pretty much can't really continue to write the present any more or else everything becomes a big confusing mess. It really doesn't work.

Baron Bifford posted:

I don't like the idea that the High Lords are a bunch of disingenous frauds. I like the idea that they're all deluded, doing what they THINK is the Emperor's will.
Some might be that way, but I think the majority are there to push their own agendas. Just like all politicians.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

drkhrs2020 posted:

They're running into a wall, and have done events,(Gothic War, War for Armageddon, 13th Black Crusade) all the way up to 999.M41, the last year of the 40th millennium. They can either pull a reboot like the World of Darkness franchise or just stay stagnant and no longer do any major worldwide events like they have in the past.
Age of Apostasy? The Plague of Unbelief? Battle of the Fang? Numerous Foundings? Literally ten-thousand years of empty history into which they can easily shoehorn something? All the stuff you mentioned has happened in the last one-thousand years of 40K (M41.)

Arquinsiel posted:

Back when I paid attention to his website he mentioned having done it a few times. I didn't hear about Tolkien at all, it seems somewhat counter-productive to sue a company that you've licenced the thing to.
This was long before they licensed the LOTR stuff. That being said, I can't find any verification of the lawsuit through Google, so maybe it was just a rumor.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 28, 2012

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

drkhrs2020 posted:

I was referring to the actual game tournaments that GW would hold every year or so to advance the plot and timeline. They can't really do any more of those the way they used to.
Oh, they haven't done those for years anyway. There was rampant fraud and it didn't matter who won anyway - GW would just complete the story as they saw fit.

That being said, it would be nice to see a return to those days now that they're focusing on narratives again, rather than competition. I did enjoy following those global campaigns.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kegslayer posted:

I completely agree, all the plots and the storyline is completely cut and paste but it is very easy to read and a nice diversion from your typical bolter porn.

Has anyone managed to get a copy of 'Fear to Tread', the new HH book about the Blood Angels? Nemesis and Flight of the Eisenstein were pretty bad so I'm not sure if it's worth getting.

I got it the other day from Amazon. I forgot I ordered it months ago and it showed up like a birthday surprise.

So far, I've only read through the prologue (which is like 40 pages,) so I can't really say much about the book. It's pretty much just explaining how much Sanguinius and Horus are best buds, and how the Blood Angels are starting to realize that the Black Rage is a thing. A little prose-heavy, but typical for the HH books.

It's by James Swallow, so I guess your take on it will be dependent on how well you like his previous stuff.

Unlike ADB or Abnett, I don't feel a compelling need to voraciously read this book, so it may take me a while. I think I am becoming jaded regarding the BL fiction - if it isn't by the Dynamic Duo, I'm kind of meh about it anymore... :smith:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Weeeeeellll, yes... that has always been the fluff. Up to this point... Apparently, this might change from the looks of things... Like I said, I've just read the intro, so I'm expecting more explanation.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

I don't remember it ever being there before now. I could go through the 2nd ed codex here but :effort:

Sometimes I feel like the Heresy books are just trying to outdo the main line stuff for grimdark, for no real reason.
Yes, but after thinking about it, in this case, it makes more sense. I mean, what is more believable?

a) An inherited genetic flaw that has been present from the beginning (i.e. some recessive trait that was missed on the initial genetic coding.)

or

b) A genetic flaw that somehow magically appeared when a few of them saw their dad get killed (i.e. you see your father die and you get spontaneous cancer.)

Personally, if they plan on going this route, it makes more sense and removes the idea of a "magical" genetic flaw that appeared because some Marines saw something.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

mllaneza posted:

As long as we're wishing out loud, how about an Imperial Army HH book ?
Because the HH was about the Marines and Primarchs, not the army.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Thulsa Doom posted:

Nemesis was a bad Heresy book but it was a pretty fun 40k book. Taken out of the context of the ~terrible tragedy~ of the heresy a bunch of 40k assassins acting like assholes is pretty funny, especially the eversor. I enjoyed it.
Yeah, it wasn't a good HH book, but as a standalone, it wasn't a bad read. I think it was a case of "Woah! This Heresy thing is really taking off - do we have any manuscripts that we can shoehorn in?"

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Therion posted:

Inquisitor Kryptmann did and it turned out to be a loving terrible idea.
:black101:
I was not aware of this storyline, but now that I am, I heartily approve of it.

On a side note, who the hell thought black text on a dark gray background was a good idea for the Lexicanum?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I don't know if anyone keeps an eye on upcoming BL releases, but it looks like, as of April 2013, they're raising the price of a standard paperback to $11.99.

Look at the last few titles on the page: http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/coming-soon/?page=2

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mowglis Haircut posted:

Amazon is generally about £2-3 cheaper for BL books in the UK, it might be the same US.
They usually are, but even so, BL is still raising prices by a considerable amount. And looking at Amazon, they're listing retail for the books at $14, so the discount only brings them down to BL retail anyway.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Demiurge4 posted:

I think you extract 2 from each marine. One can be removed when its matured, but the other can only be removed from a dead marine since taking it out would kill him.

I think this is correct and I remember reading something to this effect some time back. In this fashion, a chapter can be assured of actually being able to grow, rather than simply stagnate and replace Marines on a one-to-one basis as the old ones die off. Or worse - being condemned to a slow extinction due to situations where the Progenoid gland is unrecoverable.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

S.J. posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't give a poo poo about Gaunt's Ghosts anymore?
Yes.

Seriously though, it has gone on a bit long, and there isn't a whole lot of advancement aside from characters getting killed. I've got them on my "Meh, I'm not in a rush, but I keep up with the series" list.

I think it would be nice to spice things up with an occasional side mission with them fighting someone other than Blood Pact.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

MisterFuzzles posted:

Story was about some Flesh Tearers (Jeez, are these guys the Imperium version of World Eaters?
Yeah, pretty much. In the fluff, they went bonkers and killed a bunch of civilians (on Armageddon, I think.) Some Sisters stepped in to stop them, and the Flesh Tearers wound up slaughtering them as well. I haven't read the new story yet, but yeah, they're pretty close to falling over the edge.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Emnity posted:

Hmm, may just stop where I am then.

Are there any other decent Eisenhorn/Ravenor equivalents? Read the Gaunt's Ghosts series, never bothered with Cain to date as I expect it to be more of the same but I'm open to being surprised.
Cain is nothing like Gaunt. You should pick one up to make your own judgment, but be forewarned that every book in the series follows pretty much the same formula. They can get somewhat repetitive. Also, pick up the Atlas Infernal book. It's another Inquisitor, but he isn't a clone of Eisenhorn or Ravenor.

Also, not strictly fluff/BL related, but FW has put up a sneak peek of the HH Volume 1: Betrayal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S0ZaG9xEIA I'm worried that it's obviously geared toward the higher price point as it is leather-bound with metal corner protectors. That being said, I am drooling.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Emnity posted:

Looked to getting that Astral Infernal last night as an ebook download, seems they have the Black (Library) Market all tied up, £6.50 for letting someone copy your file, not bad going considering most paperbacks I own cost less than that. Just needed a rant, buying it anyway.. mutter mutter..
Yeah - this is an interesting situation. Because they control the only channel of distribution, they aren't liable in price-fixing like the other publishers. The downside of their model (aside from screwing over people who really want to buy their ebooks) is that all they're doing is encouraging piracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Cardiac posted:

Anyways, I have this vague memory from the 3d Edition that Sanguinius killed a Bloodthirster during the Siege of Terra. I'm guessing this is the same Bloodthirster as in Fear to Thread, guessing from the hints in the book.
Yeah, he got all WWE and snapped its spine over his knee.