Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
I've been reading omnibus editions of Horus Hersey straight though, and I'd recommend against that. The quality difference between books makes it painful to read one after the other.

Reading Fulgrim then Angel Exterminatus makes AE a slog, which could stand to be about 75 pages shorter. The fact it includes the Iron Warriors and the Iron Hands with each having a dreadnought, Berossus or Bombastus doesn't do it any favors on the readability front.

As a bonus gently caress You, the omnibus editor tagged on a short story immediately after Angel Exterminatus that undoes a character's death. Pretty lame to resurrect a dead guy within 30 physical pages, but I guess Lucious has fans despite him turning into a one trick pony, now with plot armor!

DARPA fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Yeah, just book reading for me.

I really dislike him as a character, at this point, so the idea that he keeps coming back is a bit disheartening. He wasn't so bad when he was a foil for goody two shoes Tarvitz, but now he's simply one dimensional. He likes 1) new sensations of pain 2) proving he's the best with a sword 3) nothing else. I get it. I don't see why that has to be brought up every time he enters a scene. Even when it's dudes just standing around casually chatting about their weekend, the author brings up how Lucious thinks he could shish kabob everyone in the room.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

Just watched all six parts. Thanks for posting.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
I'm amazed at the range in interest I have in these books. I have the three Hersey omnibus editions and couldn't get through The Razing of Prospero's first story, A Thousand Sons. A hundred pages of boring nothingness just to introduce the freaking Primarch.

I forgot I preordred Garro after reading Flight of the Eisensteni, but it showed up two days ago. I'm already 200 pages in and there's been more universe development than I expect to get out of the entirety of A Thousand Sons.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
The first book of A Thousand Sons (on the desert planet Aghoru) was the worst experience I've had with HH so far. Then book two comes and you know Magnus is about to get emotionally curb stomped and it's all worth it.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
Finished Prospero Burns and enjoyed it much more than A Thousand Sons. I think the human having his own story, while the Hersey happens as a backdrop, made it way easier to get through.

That said. "wet leopard growl" may be the most overused phrase in all of English literature. And it's just in this one book. How did the editor not resolve that before release?

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
Aaron Dembski-Bowden, Black Library author, is doing an AMA here on Friday 8th at 8pm GMT!

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

bango skank posted:

:v: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhD62Nzat1c

we'll see if they actually make that date, but I guess i jinxed them never putting the game out

I feel like the Doom glory kill system would lend itself well to space marine melee combat. Only so many slash slash slash splat sequences I can tolerate. Ripping a demon arm off and beating in its skull with it adds a certain spice.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
Reading Malleus and Eisenhorn repeatedly references Inshabel's adventure on Fibos secundus as being a good read. I thought it was a hamfisted way to promote a spin off story, but can't find one. Anything like that exist?

Eisenhorn posted:

Inshabel was right as I have already said. It was a drat good story, and I enjoyed it when he told it to me later. I urge you to access it.

DARPA fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 2, 2018

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqUSHhWErdY

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
Finished The Unremembered Empire. By far my favorite Horus Heresy novel. Lot of threads in the plot that I thought came together nicely, combat scenes had a point, and I felt the overall story moved forward with some informative reveals.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
Primaris will be phased out in less than six months.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
Finished Ravenor and found it really disappointing. Main characters gently caress up so much, yet chance and coincidence wins the day. I'm hoping the rest of the omnibus picks up. Bought the magos at the same time, but should have held off.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
Are primaris strictly better than space marines?

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

What in the world is going on?!?

Yeah it's weird. Reminded me of the traveler episode of tng where Westley gets groomed by the alien and takes the Enterprise on an acid trip.

If you ignore the implausibility of scale, I think the demon's goal is for the loyal primarchs to turn on each other in a very specific way where each feels justified, but cannot reconcile with the others.

Unfortunately the scale of the obstacles makes it feel like the imperium fleets could be annihilated in a blink, so why all the effort?

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

SardonicTyrant posted:

Yeah, but why imprison them? If he's never going to let them out, he might as well have killed them.

What gave you the impression Dorn won't release them? A Garro anthology story added some context, and Dorn seems completely sensible about the situation.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

D-Pad posted:

This. It has the ability to permadeath demons so they cannot come back. Rowboat kills Septicus, a great unclean one, permanently with it. The other demons are terrified of it because it's one of the only things that can truly kill them. Ku'gath even tells Mortarion that he would not be immune and could be killed permanently as well.

Is this a different sword than the Emperor is using in Master of Mankind? Because Ra would really have appreciated some alternatives.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So I am a big ol’ black library nerd and have read pretty much a bunch of series outside of the Horus Heresy stuff. I am wondering: if I know the backstory to the heresy would I miss much if I starting reading from “Solar War” going forward? As much as I love the setting I am an “all or nothing” kind of reader and if I start with book 1 of the Horus Heresy I’d feel compelled to read all 50something books and... and that feels like a tall order.

For solar war, I'd recommend the first four books. Horus rising, false gods, Galaxy in flames (available as crusade's end omnibus) and flight of the eisenstein.

I think those four will get you completely caught up for the events in solar war. There's a short story in Garro that adds some context during a certain fight, but I don't think it's necessary. Otherwise I didn't feel I was drawing on any other books, or missing anything.

Edit: forgot to address your actual issue. I find flight of the eisenstein caps off a solid story Arc within the Hersey, so you can stop reading there. Plus it introduces some characters, getting them in place for solar war. While I enjoyed it, Solar war itself I don't think stands very well on its own, as it's basically a giant battle scene. Knowing some characters greatly improved reading the book.

DARPA fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 14, 2019

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/multilanguage-tales-warhammer-2020-black-library-books

Warhammer Humble Bundle

$1
Horus Rising
Dark Imperium
The Horusian Wars: Resurrection
Soul Wars
The Great Betrayal
$10
Know No Fear
Vaults of Terra: The Carrion Throne
Space Marine Conquests: The Devastation of Baal
Blackstone Fortress
Callis and Toll: The Silver Shard
The Rise of Nagash
$18
The Buried Dagger
The Macharian Crusade
Roboute Guilliman: Lord of Ultramar
The Talon of Horus
Honourbound
Eight Lamentations: Spear of Shadows
Watchers of the Throne: The Emperor's Legion

DARPA fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 22, 2020

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
Finished the Rogue Trader Omnibus last night, and feel tremendously let down. Final book just kinda wraps up the plot arch with "Thank you! But our princess is in another castle." Grand goes insane, without motivation. Warp corruption? Who knows, he just sulked around in the shadows with his hood on. Battle scenes drag on and on, without adding much to the story. And worst of all, despite having a character embedded with the Tau, you don't get much substance from their point of view. And at the end of it all, everyone is ready for next week's episode.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

I hate to say it as the creator obviously put tons of effort in, but I found this disappointing. 20 minutes is a lot of time to ask for what you get. The animations were cool and some of the concepts (like the demons phasing in and out) were novel to me, but it's really got to go somewhere. Compare it to what you get with Astartes - Part Two in 1m10s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfGPMJ8A0QY

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

I could go for days but I'll stop now.

Kudos for having more restraint than the video

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I don't quite get the hate for The Last Wall.

The siege of Terra series is the capstone to 50+ Hersey books and The First Wall is, at best, fine. There are only six books to finish the story, so I was definitely more than miffed I found this book bland.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

SardonicTyrant posted:

Also in Dark Imperium Cawl is sending Guiliman his own hand-made but weaker pylons and there's no mention of difficulty transporting it through the warp.

Don't the Geller fields keep the pylons surrounded by a bubble of normal space?

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

Biplane posted:

When is Saturnine supposed to be out for us peasants? I can't find it on amazon :(

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/178999134X

July 7th

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
Amazon pushed Saturnine release date from July 7th to July 21st.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

abrosheen posted:

I'm pretty sure this comes up in Spear of the Emperor, a very recent book many in the thread have enjoyed.

How about space Marines absorbing memories by eating brains or USB sticks?

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

D-Pad posted:

Regular edition hardcover mortis was at the barnes and noble I was just at even though the actual release date isn't until next week I think
Amazon just shipped my copy of Mortis to be delivered tomorrow 4/13. The release date moved around a couple times on amazon so I could see a brick and mortar store putting the book out shelves on the original schedule.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

sharknado slashfic posted:

I skipped through most of Mortis lol

And yeah read First Heretic if you haven't, it's basically the setup for the whole setting. And read it before Betrayer.

Mortis is easily the most skippable of the Siege of Terra books. Painfully disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
Amazon is experiencing "Supply Chain Issues" and just let me approve delaying shipment (or cancel) of The End and the Death (Vol 2 of ???) until 12/9 which is not cool. It was supposed to be delivered today. Good odds I suffer the reveal of a major spoiler before I even have the book in hand.