Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

LimaBiker posted:

Hit up the WebSDR of the University of Twente, and on the weekends in the morning (european time) you can hear a lot of AM pirate radio stations on medium wave between 1600 and 1700kHz, and between 6300 and 6500kHz.

http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

They aren't that cool to me though, most just play dutch and german folk music. There used to be one - Westcoast - who broadcasted pretty awesome music between 3800 and 4000kHz, but at a certain point in time he became a nuisance to the British or Irish air traffic control who have a HF freqency in that area, and the Dutch authorities got him off the air.
He got to keep his transmitters and stuff, on the condition he got his radio amateur license and never pirated again. He - obviously - also got fined. As far as i'm aware, he stuck to the deal.

You can also listen in to Gander transatlantic air traffic control on various frequencies. Reception is not the best because Gander's antennas are pointed exactly the wrong way for reception in the Netherlands on the ground. There's no local receiver that i'm aware of, because Ireland and the UK all seem to have laws that make it illegal to listen into transmissions that aren't explicitely meant for you. The Netherlands don't have such laws. You can tune into any unencrypted govt frequency you want!

Funny you should mention this (air traffic radio). I've been interested in picking up an old rear end antique radio and a lot of them have not just AM radio reception but also short and long wave bands as well. Some have specific frequencies listed of as "Police", "Airlines" and so on. Also some frequencies are marks on there as the "frequencies for cities" like Paris, London, Tokyo, Moscow etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Honestly, I figured it wasn't that glamorous.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You missed Animals, fool.

Haha, charade you are!

Animals is the most underrated album. But like fuckin nobody gives a poo poo about AHM. Even though the title track and Summer '68 are dope as gently caress.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

no, Obscured by Clouds is the most underrated album. Animals is more overlooked than overrated (and still tied with WYWH for best album)

And I am loving ride or die for AHM, fight me.

*/Puts on Interstellar overdrive to get all jacked up.

Alright! Come on bitch let's rock and roll!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

the most esoteric PS4 accessory

puts on Careful With That Axe, Eugene from Boeblingen 11/15/72 and begins to levitate

oh god is PFCO affiliated with the old #PinkFloyd&Co IRC crowd, Sandy and Joe? Good lord is that ever a saga.

As far as bootlegs, uh....my collection is a smidge embarassing and probably shouldn't be mentioned in polite company. Happily the old CDR-tree/vine system is obsolete.

Holy gently caress is all that your collection? Looks like the Pink Floyd ROIO database.

I always liked AHM, but I never listened to it much besides the title track (makes me feel sophisticated) and Summer '68.

Me and a couple guys I was "internet friends" with used to do a bit of trolling on the pf&co boards like 20+ years ago. It was hilarious not giving a gently caress.

I used to poo poo post at the Neptune PF boards too (with my two internet friends). It was fun, loving with the owner there. He seemed like a pretty good dude though, and the boards seemed well run compared to some of the other places around. He had a good sense of humour about my poo poo posting for the most part.

Some of the other boards fuckin S*U*C*K*S though.

E: Did they ever play AHM suite live? I seem to recall reading in the PF encyclopedia that that was one of those songs that never got performed live by them.

wesleywillis has a new favorite as of 00:22 on Mar 10, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

No joke, I swear I remember some fan fic where gilmour boned sandy

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

My fave exchange on the matter was when someone on usenet pointed out that Gilmour's plane was completely unsuitable for transatlantic flight, much less straight to Florida.
Sandy: with his resources, do you seriously think he hasn't made modifications? :)
Some Dude: of course he did, he added a fridge.

HAHA!!
I remember a "fan" years ago made up some fake journal entries for him (possibly other members too), all of them started with "woke up this morning ate a HUGE breakfast...."

One of my "internet friends" that I mentioned a few posts ago trolled the poo poo out of PF&CO really bad way back then and got like super ultra mega permabanned from their forums.

I wonder if they would remember if his user name just happened to get brought up again?

E: I guess they got rid of the site. Its now being maintained as an archive by Keith from NPF.

wesleywillis has a new favorite as of 15:55 on Mar 11, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Arrath posted:

I'm probably old enough I can't actually hear that frequency any more but I can totally hear that distinctive CRT hum.

I could always hear that too.
I remember walking in to a classroom one time and the tv was on, but there was no video playing so the screen was blank. Told the teacher the tv was on, he was all like "uhhhhh no its not" so I went over, hit the button, the screen flashed and went "power off" or something like that, and he seemed astounded that I knew it was on.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

They're decorative?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

They had those toll funnel things in NY State on most of the highways that I've been on through there.
Haven't seen them in years, but I haven;t been to Americastan in years either.

Speaking of Laser Discs, when I was in grade 10 English class, circa 1994 ish, I recall an assignment where the teacher had us write some poo poo about where "future you" will be living, working etc..

So part of my essay was like "house, job doing whatever the gently caress I wanted to be at the time, whatever car I thought happened to be the coolest at the time (obviously) giant screen tv and LASER DISC PLAYER".

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

If you aren't listening to music on wax cylinders can you even call yourself a REAL audiophile?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Civilization II would play some (usually wrong) sound from the CD-ROM like once every 10 hours. But if I played it with the Interstate 76 disc in the drive, it would toot out funky tunes all the time while I was nuking everyone. Weird.

I've had the installed on my new (probably like 10 years old actually) laptop forever, and just recently found the disc for it.
The disc won't play in the CD-R drive :(

I always liked it when the war guy would tell me to gently caress other peoples poo poo up.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

More like horny Roman Emperor.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Lots of them still around in Toronto too.

Every now and then they finally blow out and get replaced, but typically they were installed and forgotten about. If they don't become a problem, they get ignored.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I vote for generation goatse, followed by generation tub girl, generation lemon party, generation Cheetos, generation mountain dew and the ultimate, generation pig balls. At the end of which, the works explodes.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I thought that Europe and the Scandinavian countries in particular were paradises where everything runs properly and there is no evil capitalism, or corporations or whatever the gently caress.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Explosionface posted:

I don't think I've ever seen Beta in person and I'm approaching 40. I've seen far more Laserdisc and even loving CED.

If you're not quite 40 yet then you're probably too young. I've only seen one or two and that was pre-1990. 43 going on 44 in a couple months

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

coldpudding posted:

Anyone here ever see a video 2000 machine? I remember finding a stack of like 5 or six movies next to the beta section at the video store back in the day and being like what the gently caress does this thing even play in.

Never heard of it, but yeah I think there was at least one or maybe a chain of Video 2000 stores around me when I was younger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_2000

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

drat! It's dope she would reply to something like that, and remember too.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Grassy Knowles posted:

So you’re saying birds are a product of a CIA agreement with Monsanto, makes sense.

Birds aren't real. The cia killed them all in the 50s and replaced them with robot birds. They sit on wires to recharge their batteries and when they fly south for the winter, it's actually to area 51 to get maintenance, clear hard drives, reprogram etc ..

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

It's not difficult now that we've done it. But it took over a hundred years of innovation to get cars where they are now. Research leads to discovery which leads to improving processes. A few decades ago you'd say it's impossible to do what they are doing now, and here they are, doing it.
To where they are today, but how long did it take to make a car faster then a horse? A decade or two?

Wasabi the J posted:

Nah we'll be buying it but sanctimonious influencers will be shaming us for not growing it at home; so there'll be a few months where everyone grows meat like they did with sourdough until we just go back to buying it, again.

Is that kinda like how for 4-5 years, every white girl with a DSLR camera was a "photographer"?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

MFs talking about Sandy and Joe(?) again?

One of my "internet friends" from the early years of this century trolled the living poo poo out of them back then.

I bet if you brought up his name to them they'd have a breakdown or something.

I swear I remember some fan fiction written by Sandy where she boned Dave Gilmour. Or he boned her, I guess.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

By popular demand posted:

That is just the sort of lilly livered defeatist talk I came to expect out of you.
We can't just tear the tree out, we must obliterate it with a big metal dick! That's the only way we get the Kaiser to pull out.

Kaiser Bill the second had 7 kids.

I don't think he did much pulling out.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I'LL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I RAN IN TO A POLE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Weatherman posted:

Wow that brings back forum memories. Someone had that as redtext but it was I DROVE INTO A DAYCARE AND.
Goddammit! I knew it was something but didn't remember what.
Drove in to a pole didn't quite fave the right ring to it but I couldn't remember.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Well when you think about it matter can't be destroyed. It just takes a different form.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I just drank some Ovaltine.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

The pedals are actually attached to a hand job machine

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Pham Nuwen posted:

there's no way your mom could fit under that little poncho thing

Since she's a pile of ashes in an urn over the fireplace at my dad's house, she probably could actually.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

DrBouvenstein posted:

Does the lock keep it from being removed from the bay, or keep it from being accessed by the software?

My brother's first "modern" computer circa 1993-94 ish the lock was to lock the key board. Like you could turn the poo poo on, but the key board wouldn't work if you locked it.

E: I didn't see the lock up top by the hard drive. Just the one down by the turbo buttons.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

credburn posted:

With Winamp you could set a color to be the visualizer screen, so if you chose, say, black, then any black pixel on your screen contributed to the visual effects.

Whipped the Llama's rear end too.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Maybe I've never noticed, but I swear I don't have that problem with Windows media player.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Does anybody really know what time it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Dick Trauma posted:

I did not realize that ducks were vulnerable to being replaced by machines.

https://twitter.com/BrookeGMcDonald/status/1776289798095053034

Birds aren't real dot com

That includes ducks