Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

So do you need my team from the last thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Beet posted:

It's already ready to go for the EC, but it may not be a bad idea to repost it here for posterity's sake.

Team Name: Portland Hipsters

Team Logo (150x150 preferred):

Home City: Portland, OR

Home Stadium: Java Park (A complete Safeco Field Clone, pre-fences moved in)

DH Preference: No thanks

30-Man Roster:
Majors
Benito Santiago
Dave Valle
Fred McGriff
Roberto Alomar
Chuck Knoblauch
Jeff Blauser
Jeff Reboulet
Tim Wallach
Terry Pendleton
Tim Raines
David Justice
Deion Sanders
Tony Gwynn
Kirby Puckett

Greg Maddux
John Smoltz
Tom Glavine
Dennis Martinez
Mark Langston
Mike Stanton
Rick Aguilera
Mark Davis
Steve Bedrosian
Tim Burke
Michael Jackson

Minors
Javy Lopez
Chipper jones
LaTroy Hawkins
John Kruk
Edgar Martinez

25 in the majors, 5 in the minors

Lineups:
CF Raines
LF Gwynn
1B McGriff
3B Pendleton
RF Justice
C Santiago
SS Blauser
2B Knoblauch

Pitching Rotation:

SP Greg Maddux
SP John Smoltz
SP Tom Glavine
SP Dennis Martinez
SP Mark Langston

CL Mike Stanton
MR Rick Aguilera
MR Mark Davis
MR Steve Bedrosian
LR Tim Burke
LR Michael Jackson

Strategy (Rate on a scale from -5 to +5)

Hit and Run: +3
Sacrifice Bunt: -2
Squeeze Play: -2
Trying for extra bases: +2
Stealing Bases: +3
Aggressively Tagging Up: +3
Pitch Outs (to prevent stolen bases): +1
Giving Intentional Walks: -1
Pitching Around Good Hitters: +1
Bringing the Infield In: +1
Guarding the Lines: +1
Making Cutoff Throws: +3
Bringing in Pinch Hitters: +2 (late)
Bringing in Pinch Runners: +2 (late)
Bringing in Defensive Replacements: +2 (late)
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: -5
Letting pitchers pitch throw trouble: +2
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: +2

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I'd like to swap in my babby Bobby Alomar instead of Blockhead.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I have a n00b question, how do I tell when someone needs to be swapped in or out?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Thanks for the updates/information! I didn't look over to the left, but now I see the (sore) and (tired)

I wanted Alomar in over Knoblauch, when I need a DH that should be Kirby Puckett. Can I get Benito a rest from Valle, Blauser a rest from Wallach, and then sub in Deion/Puckett for the resting of my OF? If that's too vague let me know.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Thank you for your discretion saving me from myself. Please put Lopez on the Major League roster and start him at C. Drop Valle to minors. Please drop Reboulet to minors, promote Edgar to 3B and move Chipper to SS and Wallach to the bench. Raines in CF, Justice in LF and Gwynn in RF. DH Deion when needed at leadoff and bump everyone down one spot.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Beet posted:

Chipper Jones really cannot play shortstop. Trust me. Neither could Wallach for that matter, but he can at least stand there. The problem I'm seeing is you have no one capable of hitting that can actually field the position adequately. That should probably be something you explore in the first round of the draft. For now, Knoblauch can kinda sorta almost play SS and is the best hitting infielder on your bench. Or there's Blauser who is thoroughly mediocre. Reboulet sounds like a dessert, and hits about as well. It's up to you.

Huh I guess I was hoping the Sim would allow a 3B to play SS. After some research, he didn't do it hardly at all in real life, 38 games at age 24 in 1996, so I guess that was just the position he came up at and they moved him quickly.

Knoblach to SS, Jones to LF and Justice to DH in the middle of the order when needed.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Beet posted:

I mean, I could certainly make him play SS. It would just likely be actively detrimental to your team.

Nah, it's cool. I know sometimes in WiS if you have a guy that is a decent 3B he can play a passable SS. Thanks for the feedback.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Do I get points for picking any of these winners? I'm still not clear on that.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Ah, okay. I sincerely appreciate all the answers you guys (girls? I dunno).

I am still waiting for my special bonus prize as a new owner, perhaps I should ask Santa for a C or a SS for my Secret Santa Signing Surprise!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Let's try this:

Valle to Minors, Lopez up.
Wallach to Minors, Edgar up.

New Lineup:

vs RH:

CF Raines
2B Alomar
RF Jones
1B McGriff
3B Martinez
LF Gwynn
C Santiago
SS Knoblauch
P

(With DH, insert Justice at #6 and slide everyone down 1 spot)

vs LH:

CF Raines
2B Alomar
1B McGriff
3B Martinez
LF Puckett
C Lopez
SS Knoblauch
P
RF Sanders

(With DH, insert Justice at #6 and slide everyone down 1 spot)

e: fixed C vs LHP

kensei fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 21, 2013

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

quote:

Analysis
Welp, looks like you're definitely a longshot in the Taggart League. But, honestly, I like your team a lot, even if the Dynamo League is basically impossible to break into at this point.

It's my birthday today, may I have my super secret present for being a newly signed up owner? Something like a 2001 A-Rod or an 1886 Cap Anson are both on my wish list :)

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

quote:

Analysis
Kind of a rough final month but really that's a good thing for 90% of owners in a given EC. Top priority should be acquiring a real shortstop, followed by improved pitching.

Still waiting on my mystery gift since you missed my birthday :mad:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Beet posted:

I'm just the guy who ran this season's expansion cup. You'll have to harass Smasher about any promises of mystery gifts.

Yeah, I was posting at him ;)

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Mr. Cool Ice posted:

Don't worry, we're all lobbying fiercely for you to get your favorite Mariner: Jesus Montero.

:stare:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Yeah, sure, why not.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

quote:

Pick the Winner: Wildcard Showdowns!
Cancun Tornados @ CERN Colliders
Louisville Muggers @ South Bolton Eazy W's

Pick the Survivors: Gauntlet, Round 1
Pick TWO!
Brainerd Oxen [.352]
United Soviets of Cosmonautic Baseball [.358]
Lake Louise Longshots [.377]

Lombard St. Gumshoes [.407]

wooo

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Postseason Pick 'em Continues: Gauntlet, Round 2!
Pick TWO!
Alma Purifiers
Cosmobats
Lombard St. Gumshoes
Ted Sox

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Pick 'em: Divisional Series!
Pick the winner, number of games (best-of-five), and score of final game

Burma Imperialists vs. Somali Pirates 4 7-4
Cancun Tornados vs. Rockford Losers 5 6-5
New World Symphony vs. Fukuoka Finger-Bangers 4 3-1
South Bolton Eazy W's vs. Walney Rakers 5 9-6

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Pick 'em: Gauntlet Round 3
Pick Two
Cosmobats

Lombard St. Gumshoes
Mercury METSSS
New Vegas High Rollers

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Pick 'em: Gauntlet Round IV!
Pick TWO!

Haukness Mad Knights
Hawk City TWTWs
Mercury METSSS

New Vegas High Rollers

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

COL/AZ and thanks McFreeze

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Pick 'em: Gauntlet Round 5
Pick TWO!

Haukness Mad Knights
Mercury METSSSS
Nurnberg Gravediggers
Philadelphia Premodernists

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Pander posted:

Besides, BSG is better than all the ST series put together. Sure, it was put together by the same guy who did DS9, but it did everything better than DS9.

:hf:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

n00b question - that sheet titled choose your character is the list of available players, right?

Also, I'd like to know what position I need to target (hint, hint)

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I know that SS and C are my biggest opportunities for improvement but

Mr. Cool Ice posted:

I believe Mr. Kensei is referring to his gift, and as such I would like to point out that not all gifts are players.

Oooh interesting

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

cbx posted:

I have King Kelly that could fit the bill. He's in his prime, and can also play RF. His contact and speed tools are through the roof, he has a 100 for pitcher handling and his arm and range are in the high 90's. Interested?

Hi

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I'm pondering trades, thanks.

Can someone link the teams/points spreadsheet? I didn't save it and am at home now...

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Well, I guess 1956 Harvey Kuenn is the dude I will take.

COL/AZ will be in soon-ish.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Mr. Cool Ice posted:

Before you make that pick, are you interested in trading? I can get you a SS plus some more pieces.

Message me

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I have a wedding to go to today. I am making the trade with McFreeze, we are fine tuning the players.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Ooooh I like this new page. My weekend was crazy but I am at work today so I am able to be in IRC.

I like this message from Cthulhu Dreams and am intrigued by Beet's Alan Trammell offer. Please come chat with me!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I am still taking offers in IRC for Mel Ott My draft pick, here is my crappy franchise team:

code:
Majors
SP R Johnson 2002 AZ
SP C Schilling 2002 AZ
SP D Haren 2009 AZ
SP A Cook 2006 COL
SP J Jennings 2006 COL

RP BH Kim 2002 AZ
RP M Kopolove 2002 AZ
RP M Myers 2002 AZ
RP C Qualls 2009 AZ
RP JC Gutierrez 2009 AZ
RP J Rauch 2009 AZ

C C Iannetta 2011 COL
1B T Helton 2001 COL
2B E Young 1997 COL
SS T Tulowitzki 2011 COL
3B V Castillo 1997 COL
RF L Walker 2001 COL
CF C Gonzalez 2011 COL
LF M Holliday 2006 COL

3B M Reynolds 2009 AZ
SS Stephen Drew 2009 AZ
C M Montero 2009 AZ
2B R Roberts 2009 AZ
OF L Gonzalez 2002 AZ
OF L Walker 1997 COL

Minors
SP M Batista 2002 AZ
SP J Francis 2006 COL
RP B Fuentes 2006 COL
RP J Mesa 2006 COL
RP R Ramirez 2006 COL
SP U Jiminez 2006 COL
RP J Jimenez 2001 COL
RP M Myers 2001 COL

2B J Spivey 2002 AZ
CF Q McCracken 1997 COL
1B T Helton 2001 COL 
OF E Burks 1997 COL
3B G Atkins 2006 COL
C Y Torrealba 2006 COL
1B A Galaragga 1997 COL

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Final decision: 1965 Willie Mays.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Did I need to update my roster? I think I saw that but I was busy at work this week...

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

mks5000 posted:

For the dispersal draft? Id just wait until the draft is done so you only have to do it once.

I was skimming the thread and I thought someone posted that I had an incorrect player or something? I'll check tomorrow.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

cbx posted:

It looks like you have 2001 Todd Helton 2x and you are still a few players short regardless. I'll fill in the blanks with best fits. I gotta get this thing moving.

The second should be 2006 Helton. I thought it was a 40 man roster, is that not right?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I guess 1980 Gary Carter

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Promote Webb and Scherzer to take the place of the now demoted Cook and Jennings.

Make Montero the starting C please over Iannetta
L Walker from Bench to LF, Holliday to CF, E Young/CarGo to Bench and S Drew at 2B :v:

New Lineup vs both RHP and LHP

2B Drew
DH Gonzalez
CF Holliday
DH Walker
LF Walker
1B Helton
SS Tulo
C Montero
3B Castilla

Iannetta personal C for Max Scherzer please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

McFreeze make me an offer