Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ACEofsnett posted:

Saw this earlier today in a commuter parking lot. Having found his build thread, this is exactly what it appears to be. A VW tdi swapped 1974 Corvette.

If these were my welds, I'd be proud of them (then again, I don't weld). I don't think I'd show them off, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Bojanglesworth posted:

I rode around in this Icon FJ yesterday to find a suitable place for photographs. While it is pretty drat cool I don't know how I feel about the $150k+ price tag.

Are there more photographs? Tell us more! I irrationally want an Icon FJ so bad.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I know it's the very opposite of stanced, but I miss this old riceburner.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Oh hell yes! MSP's are on the right side of crazy from Mazda's fleet of cars passed. I have looked to see what they go for locally since I picked up my speed6 and would love to have one to start completing the family. :)

Oh it was a hoot and a half. 4:20 spin at least one front wheel every day. Probably in a few years I'll start looking for Mazdaspeed Miatas.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

If TVR made a conversion van, it would look like this.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Imperador do Brasil posted:

First time I've ever watched a video mouth agape.

Ja, ze crumple zone ist se whole passenger compartment. Ze cargo? Completely unharmed!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Actual AWD motorcycles are more affordable than you might think.
http://www.christini.com/bikes/christini-awd-450-ds

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

joat mon posted:

Technically, how? The only scooter feature that comes to mind that sort of fits is that one's feet go inside the frame (but one also straddles the frame, so it's a draw)
tire size? probably not a scooter
engine performance? not a scooter
handling? not a scooter
clutch? I don't know. Maybe the Akira 'bike has a CVT?

It depends on where the motor is. If it's in the frame under the seat, I'd call it a motorcycle. If that's an electric motor directly driving the rear hub, it's a scooter (judging by the sounds from the movie, I'd say that's more likely -- there's an electric motor directly driving the hub).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Octopus Magic posted:

That thing looks tacky as poo poo. Ugly way too wide wheels, stupid chrome trim parts all over the interior, cross drilled rotors...

Bleeauuughghhgh.

Wait, this from the guy who has a massive hardon for DSM?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Nah. Oklahoma City is the place, and The City Of Oklahoma City is the legal entity that governs the place.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

joat mon posted:

Parking brake.

God I love the idea of old Citroens.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Phone posted:

I'm not sure if this should go in the terrible thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWKM0aX1D-g

Why would it? It's really easy to see that this is just a slightly more pants-on-head version of the S2000.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

He's just happy to be included. No idea about the supercars behind him!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

beedeebee posted:

Yes! That's it! I knew I had seen it before. The good news is I can now stop wondering what it was, the bad news is I didn't see a Reventon in person.

The good news is that you saw a McLaren in person, which is cooler.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Kill-9 posted:

In the US it's probably a Series IIA. I had one for about 3 years. This one does have the rare PTO capstan winch up front which is kind of sweet. And great for hurting yourself badly on.

I was wondering about that. It looks like something you'd moor a ship to.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

The AWD system must be extremely confused.

I don't see why. The speedometer would be wrong, but everything else would be internally consistent.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/...ck&sort=default

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Is there something odd about this picture or do the blades deflect that much while in motion?

That's just how cell phone cameras work. Things that are moving very quickly get strange effects applied to them since the entire image isn't taken all at once. I believe it's called rolling shutter effect.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

jonathan posted:

I have a perma-boner from that bobsled chick and her camel toe bobsled suit. Her and Sabine Schmidt the Nurberg taxi woman should have a relationship.

You're going to have to be more specific. I watched that video and the Top Gear Evo vs Bobsled challenge, and all I saw were Scandinavian men.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Wisconsin?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Reichstag posted:

It would have taken aaaaages to type out two more letters.

Vom is legitimate slang.

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

The only car thats ever made me vom.

Explain to me why that car isn't awesome. I quite like it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

It'd be cool if it needed a 2nd tranny to act as a reduction gear system, and the passengers had to coordinate shifting with the driver. I want to play this game.

If I had a diesel with a twin stick setup, I'd totally play it just to mess with my girlfriend.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

swampnutz posted:

The BK by my office got a new soda machine:

It's Italian.

I love these things specifically because they were developed down the street from where I went to college while I was there. All of the criticisms are perfectly valid, though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

For the Arduino-based paddle shifter -- are you hijacking an automatic transmission's logic, or have you mechanized the clutch+gear selector of a standard transmission?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I appreciate the preflight waggle-dance he did there.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

ewiley posted:

Ahh, Romania, a beautiful land untouched by OSHA

I love the extremely tiny cow-catcher.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Just see at how every single older car looks better than today's eyesores on wheels.

All the aerodynamics of a brick, steering column in your chest as you burn to death in your sheetmetal tomb after a minor fender bender... Those were the days.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That strawman might have been valid if any one of those stopped the ability of car designers to make a car that doesn't look like a bucket of poo poo thrown over a box

I... what?

Classic cars are gorgeous, but for all their throaty V8 rumble car manufacturers struggled to make 150hp without throwing the biggest truck motor they could find at the problem. That's probably good though, because braking and turning were mere suggestions.

I get it. Economy cars all evolved to look like the first gen prius. But the circlejerk around classic cars just winds up lowering the resale value because you damaged the clearcoat scraping cum off of some dentist's Galaxie.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I admit, I cherry picked the F85 Cutlass with the 215ci V8 (155 hp).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm not sure this is better than the guy who replaced his Volvo 240's door open chime with a midi version of Toto's Africa, however....

https://twitter.com/therealKzero/status/1286418122585628673?s=19

:perfect:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Elmnt80, probed for our sins

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

That thing has a 4kw motor, and that is about 4.5 hp. I think the frontal offset collision test would happen at about 10mph

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Wasn't he an incel.

I think Newton was volcel. According to Voltaire (via Wikipedia), Newton "was never sensible to any passion, was not subject to the common frailties of mankind, nor had any commerce with women—a circumstance which was assured me by the physician and surgeon who attended him in his last moments".

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

xzzy posted:

Stolen from reddit so everyone's probably already seen it, but hell yeah, gently caress safety, be comfortable. It's new to me!

Ford Aurora II concept, 1969.

My friend's dad had a minivan that would do that -- the two middle row captain's chairs could be installed backwards to face the third row. We used to drive to quiz bowl competitions like that.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Y'all have me looking at FDs on BringATrailer and I'm getting jealous because they're entirely within my gently caress-around price range

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

um excuse me posted:

Conversion losses. You are taking energy required to drive a valvetrain, which is a shitload by the way, and converting it into another form of energy, then converting it again. A traditional valvetrain takes mechanical rotation energy from the crankshaft, to rotational energy through the timing system, to rotational energy in the camshafts, to linear energy in the valves. It's all mechanical. With any type of independently actuated valve system, you require the crankshaft energy to convert into some sort of other energy, whether it's pneumatic, hydraulic, or electric. Then it needs to eventually be converted back to mechanical energy at the valves. Any conversion of energy has efficiency losses. There are at least two in a camless system where there is a comparatively small amount in a valve train. These rob the engine of energy in far greater quantities than you get with efficiency gains of independently operated valves. Especially when you have to compete with active variable cam timing on both intake and exhaust like modern cars have.

I'm curious, does the same apply for gigantic marine diesels that max out at like 110 rpm?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

boxen posted:

Those typically don't run at a wide RPM range, so having variable valve timing doesn't get you much. You just optimize for the RPM it's going to live at and don't worry about added complexity.

We were fighting with that at my last company. A lot of shipping contracts, especially for bulk cargo, are more profitable if the ship slow steams (thus burning less fuel) and arrives on time rather than running at the designed RPM and then waiting at anchorage for days. How much the ship slow steams varies by the terms of the contract. In theory, variable valve timing would buy you some more fuel economy there.

Also you could shift the ship into reverse without engaging a new set of cams.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

Could you share more about this? This seems like awesome boat insanity poo poo which is...close enough.

I used to work for these guys: nautiluslabs.com

We'd tie into a ship's navigation system to get position, speed over ground, speed through water, wind, and as many other data points as we could (we'd also pull wind, current, and weather forecasts from NOAA). We'd also tap into the ship's engine and fuel delivery systems to get the fuel consumption rate and what kind of fuel the ship was burning. From that, and by knowing how low the ship was riding in the water, we could figure out how much energy was being wasted in the interface between the water and the hull, between the propeller and the hull, and we'd generate an empirical model describing how efficiently the engine could turn fuel into power at every speed. Less expensive ships use fixed pitch propellers that attach directly to the engine's output shaft, so the engine's RPM is directly related to how quickly the ship wants to move through the water. We'd work with the shipowners to figure out the peculiars of a ship's contract, and we'd provide speed recommendations: e.g. steam at 72 RPM across the Atlantic, then switch to 61 RPM at the Strait of Gibraltar. We'd update that daily based on weather conditions and how the ship was performing.

It took a little convincing to get the captains and engineers comfortable with changing speeds dynamically. I had some highfalutin' notions about variable valve timing to squeeze a few extra milijoules per gram of fuel across a broader RPM range.

Regarding reverse -- because these ships use fixed pitch, direct drive systems, you'd have to spin the engine backwards to reverse. To do that, you'd shift the camshaft so that its reverse lobes lined up with the valves.

I took a picture of this placard in the engine control room on a 20,000 ton chemical tanker while it was unloading molasses in Seattle. It was attached right above the engine order telegraph.

A different ship crashed into a pier shortly after we installed our system on it. We pulled the RPM data from shortly before the crash. At 30 second intervals, it looked something like 53, 35, 8, -7, -28, [crash]. Unfortunately I can't find the map I put together of that incident.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 14, 2020

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

It's not broken, that's just normal squat from cramming that many displays into an already very heavy car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Or draw on the wrong side with sharpie marker. "This side up"