Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cool nailhead Buick. Love that copper intake manifold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

wheeeeee!

Wish I had video, I'll have to ask if anyone took any.

OK, is that actually a 4-door Cherokee with the roof shortened and the hatch moved to just behind the rear seat there in the upper left background? If not, what the hell is it?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

This guy's pretty good with photoshop. I like a lot of the other stuff in his collection.

Mighty Horse posted:

Best Interior Ever?

In this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monteverdi_Hai_450

I'd totally drive around with the engine cover off.

Good Lord - a mid-mounted 426 Hemi? Wow.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

There are two "angles" with V engines. The bank angle and the degrees of rotation between firing events. Usually a 90-degree V8 means that it fires every 90 degrees of crank rotation. That's most US-style V8s. Ferraris,other exotics, and a lot of racing V8s are 180-degree engines. The two sound completely different, both good, in my opinion. Bank angle is a design choice - I'm not sure of what the trade-offs are beyond packaging, but there likely is some advantage to the 90-degree bank angle, given how many engines use it. Or how many I seem to recall use it, anyway.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Motronic posted:

You're describing cross plane:

versus flat plane:

Yep. Just making sure what we were talking about. I love the burble of cross-plane V8s, but flat-planes sound insane!

Q_res posted:

Yes they are typically 90 degrees. The Volvo V8 is 60 degrees because, though significantly changed, it's based on a Ford V6.

Angle almost always refers to bank angle when people talk about engines in this kind of context. The other angle you mentioned is usually referred to as either a cross plane crank (90 degrees) or a flat plane crank (180).

Different engine configurations have different angles they "like" better. V8s like 90, V6s and V12 like 60 (though Ferrari V12s are 65) and I think V10s are most naturally balanced at 72 degrees.

edit: I'd bet you see 90 a lot because, especially in America, they base a lot of stuff off of V8s. GMs 3.8 and 4.3 V6s, the Dodge and Ford V10s among others are all 90 degrees because they're just V8s that either lost or gained a pair of cylinders.

Most of GM's V6s save the 3.8 and 4.3 are 60-degree. I do know that making the 3.8 90-degree back when the just lopped 2 cylinders off of the Buick 300 V8 caused some issues with balance. The first bunch of years were odd-fire, and were anything but smooth. They changed to even-fire in the '80s, which improved things, but still could be better. They finally added balance shafts (and to the 4.3 as well) in the '90s-'00s, which got them up to par, at the cost of a little parasitic HP loss.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Q_res posted:

Lancia introduced a 60-degree V6 in 1950, I think it was also the first mass-produced V6. You're right about the loping idle though. Usually they'll use a split-pin crankshaft to smooth it out, it causes the engine to become "even-firing" like Darchangel talked about. Buick even went so far as to use a split-pin and a balance shaft in the 3.8 eventually.

You're right, in fact I think GM holds some sort of record for 60 degree V6 production. Those just happened to be two of the more well known 90 degree 6s. I'd bet if you count the different variations, 3.3/3.8/4.3 for the Chevy and 3.8/4.1 for the Buick, they're probably the two most produced/common 90 degrees V6s too.

There was also a 3.2 (196 c.i.) version of the Buick V6. I had one in a '79 Chevy Monza. 4-speed! I really wanted a GN motor for that car.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Some pics from Autoweek's coverage of Bonneville Speed Week 2013:

It went 120+

For 13":

Yeah, that's a Honda Z600.

The Woodland Camo "woodgrain" is epic.

Many more in Autoweek's gallery:
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130821/CARNEWS01/130829987

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 12, 2013

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

drgitlin posted:

At the risk of being a huge pedant that's not woodland camo, which refers to a specific pattern developed by the US and used in the 1980s and 1990s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Woodland

That's one of the more photorealistic patterns developed for hunters, maybe something like Realtree.

You're right. Realtree was what I was thinking of. Obviously didn't make it out of head properly, though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Mercury Ballistic posted:

My dad worked as a surveyor in Iraq back in the early 1960's They drove all over the desert in Chevy Pickups with Bedouin as their guides/navigators since there were no roads. He took all these pics and developed them in his tent on dark nights.

Geez, look at that frame twist!

I need this, and a car to back it up.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible. Remarkably bone stock, too.

quote:

Oldsmobile Battle cruiserNinety-Eight

1969, I think. And yes, they are huge. you can practically live in the back seat, and the trunk is good for half-a-dozen bodies. :D

quote:

Mazda RX-2, post facelift

Those things are rare here in the US. Most of them rusted to nothing, or were just scrapped when the rotary coughed up an apex seal.

quote:

Pontiac Catalina

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible. I love the rocket emblem rear side markers on those. Oddly, the hood will also fit my otherwise-completely-different-body 1970 Cutlass. Only difference is the tooth in between the grilles, which can be swapped.

quote:

F-body Trans Am

With Camaro RS wheels, and painted white inside and out, for some reason. WTF?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

Which is a Ford Granada (American model) with different shiny bits. Amusingly enough, the Versailles' front and rear clips were popular parts to swap onto two door Granadas and Mercury Monarchs. The Granda/Monarch/Versailles were also the last cars in America based on the U.S. market Ford Falcon.

That's right - the Versailles had rear discs on an 8.8 before the Mustang did, as I recall.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

speedtek posted:

Watching old episodes of Taboo with my wife, and this AI-as-gently caress kid shows up. Don't recall having seen it posted yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86LF8vNkMPQ

On the show he was drifting the E30 touring seen toward the beginning.

Nat Geo video on him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP6Z4I-Ifec

Why can't my daughter be interested in this?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

This isn't incredibly awesome, but I thought it was cool that one of my coworkers actually drives this to work. I've seen it in the parking lot several times. In very nice shape. Even the tan leather interior is mint. One of the few cars that the all-one-color "euro" look works for.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

It uses a 'spool' which seems to me is just a solid axle.

Interestingly the fastest car ever around the nurburgring had the same setup.

That's a Winters quick change axle. The spool is what they're putting into the axle instead of the differential. You should also mention that they used as much of the ASCAR as they could, besides the engine. And they broke the driveshaft on the second burnout attempt of its short life.

Edit: yes, it does sound glorious with the ITBs. They have a build thread an posted video. On mobile now so I don't have the link, sorry. Its on Driftwork's UK forum.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 21, 2014

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Krakkles posted:

I kind of have a Awesome AI Car poo poo request, and I have no idea if it's even possible.

I'm sure you've all seen this video (oh, you haven't? Well, have some awesome AI car poo poo, then): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccxy_V8hwhY

My request is this: At approximately the 3:01 mark, there appears to be a camera flash. My thought is this: This would be an AWESOME desktop wallpaper - but is it out there somewhere?

If anyone knows, please, share!

I was going to go off on a rant about them destroying a better-looking Cherokee than mine, but they did state in the video description that it was completely rotted out underneath, and had a rear door accidentally torn off, so it failed the MOT in the UK. So, OK I guess, it went out in a blaze of glory, no fucks were given, and much fun was had.
I probably would have stripped the good bits here in the States, but they mention that a Cherokee like that is ridiculously cheap in the UK, so...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Wounded Unicorn posted:

Look. At this loving thing. That's not a ramjet on the driver's side fender like I hoped it was, it's a carb plenum.

That HAS to be a Buick Straight-8 under there. It MUST be.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Those are Nissan Skylines. :)

Isn't that second one a first-gen Celica?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

Polestar built a V8 so Volvo can join the Australian supercar series. They just posted this video of it for us to jerk off to. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ3jXFJMVrc

It sounds like a sport bike. Not bad, necessarily, but I wasn't expecting that.
Flat-plane, I guess?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Why the gently caress is that geriatric pulling her pants down.

Looks like they're at a beach.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Well, when needs must. Pretty clever. Nice handling of the bucket; may be a little hard on the tarmac...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Slavvy posted:

The driveshaft pointing that way without a slip joint is remarkable.

No slip joint needed - there's no axle movement.

Dr.Caligari posted:

Is that two superchargers stacked on each other? Would that even work?

Yes, and yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkrgyfjJg3s

The Guy That Owns The GTO posted:

My 1970 GTO with two blowers. It's 474ci Pontiac engine with a 8-71 blower on top of a 6-71 blower. This is from the last day of being double blown. I'm going to one single 8-71 blower and going racing. The front clip was removed to make it easier to work on. The reason for the double blowers was not as a power enhancement like many ASSume. I stacked the blowers to have a car that stood out in the crowd. Most Pro Street cars were starting to blend together. If you seen one, you had seen them all. That wasn't the case with this GTO. Al someone had to say was "The double blower GTO" and people knew which car. I was told it couldn't be done, so I attempted it and it worked. It stayed that way for almost 2 years. I knew a twin turbo setup would make more HP. I knew I could have run a 14-71 blower and made more power. That wasn't the point. I wanted to be different than the other cars in the parking lot, I did that now it's time to ove on. For all those people who don't understand why, I'm not going to try and explain it to you anymore. Get over it. I didn't expect EVERYONE to love it. But you won't forget it.

Note that the video is from 6 years ago.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Das Volk posted:

Stolen from YOSPOS from back when Apple was really expensive

FTFY (I'm an Apple guy, but man, back then, price was definitely a barrier to entry, way more than now.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

joat mon posted:

It's a cheap replica of Juan Manuel Fangio's Maserati 300S. Fangio won the 1957 Cuban Grand Prix, but was kidnapped by Castro's folks just before the 1958 race in an (unsuccessful) effort to scuttle the race.

e:

Russian/east europe something. Its fun driving around their and seeing nothing but Iveco, KAMAZ, Tatra etc.
It's a Mack.
[/quote]

From the teens/early twenties. Fun fact: it's chain driven.

edit: a 1915, according to the same stream mon joat posted about the Maser:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/riveranotario/8683982639/in/set-72157633360600664/

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 4, 2014

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Spotted this at work a while back. Not often you see '55 Chevys, let alone 4-doors, in the wild.

And that rocket car transporter is the tits!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I thought this was pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZlRFsRG6K0

Not your average Porsche enthusiast (he says as much in the video.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

JNC had an article this morning about Rocket Craft, a Japanese stuffed animal house that makes bad rear end stuffed cars...

... and stuffed 13Bs.

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/2014/07/29/art-corner-rocket-crafts-stuffed-cars-are-the-cutest-thing-ever/

Aw, man, I really want one of those, and a first g RX-7, but not for $350-400.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Backov posted:

This totally counts.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=826386624054067

There may be a non-FB version of this, but I don't know it off hand. Should be visible to all.

He has a channel on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmDWQCLWmfk

He also makes them out of wood. Check out his whole channel. He's got old Fords, Chevys, Toyotas, a Fargo (Canadian Dodge), all kinds of stuff.

InitialDave posted:

On Facebook, I'm afraid, but hopefully people will be able to see it.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152659549046941

:toot:

I've always wanted to try that with a whoopie cushion.

Crustashio posted:

I can't ever watch this video without laughing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieJUP9O9RG8

...aaaaaand there you go!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

From the OSHA thread:

I... what?
Unreal. That guy is fantastically lucky (car driver then brakes hard, throwing rider in front of car, and runs over him.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fucknag posted:

That tube-chassis racecar is (and also rotary-powered, apparently,) but the factory 3 is and will probably remain FWD forever. Maaaaybe an AWD Mazdaspeed if they go full retard this time around.

I initially missed the "20B" in the title, but knew instantly it was a rotary when I heard it idling (as much as a peripheral-port rotary can idle) out of the pits. Love the 3-rotor scream.

D C posted:

Just like their audio products, no highs, no lows, must be Bose Suspension.

I thought Bose's problem was ALL highs and lows, no mids? At least, that's the Acoustimass system.

angryhampster posted:

Chariot Races..NSW 1936

That is truly amazing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Content!

Spotted this on the way home a while back (sorry, digital potato, and the sun in the wrong place.)

(license plate. It also sounded nice and healthy.)

And just today, found this in the parking lot of one of our facilities shared with some other businesses:

Pretty damned cool.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Das Volk posted:

Last local C&C of the year saw some interesting stuff:

I just looked that up. That's a hybrid-electric truck. The fuel-burning part under the heat blanket is a diesel-powered turbine. The turbine runs at constant speed when needed, for efficiency.
That's awesome. Also, my last name happens to be Wright, so doubly awesome (no relation, darn it.)

http://wrightspeed.com/

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I really want to paint my '79 like that, rather than the more commonly-seen green stripes, once I find a widebody kit like that, or at least bubble flares. ZG flares, maybe.

^Like those.

quote:

Nice use of RX2/3 taillights and decklid. Is that a 240Z bumper up there in the front?

Is it bad that I already have most of the images MiniFoo posted?

angryhampster posted:

I'm guessing this car made *a noise*

Of course it did - it's a rotary. They make heat and noise, and lots of both.

Dick Trauma posted:

This looks like a videogame screenshot.

Buckaroo Banzai Jet Car. and yes, it's an F-150.

e: fixed quoting

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 28, 2014

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I've thought that the last few years of Camry (and Corolla, for that matter) have looked a lot more aggressive, in a good way. This one at least lives up to the aggressive styling.

amenenema posted:

Zoom in on the toggle switches on the center of the dash.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

some dude on the internet posted this

The state of Texas (or some department thereof) sold a whole mess of Cherokees at auction a few months back. I think someone posted it in the Jeep thread. All of them white, 4x2, spanning almost a decade in year model, as I recall. Most of them stripper models, of course, and I think most of them had the 4.0L/auto. I really wanted to bid on a few '97+ models, but had no $$.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

blk posted:

Borderline, but the explosion qualifies it, I think

Did he just forget or not notice the turn there or what? The "controller disconnected" message fits for sure.

Also, the guy wit the phone at the end: oh, hey, someone just flipped their 911 into the drink. They might be drowning. Hmm, should I post that on Facebook, or try to help?

e: JESUS CHRIST, that Fiat! A 28.5L 4-banger?

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 2, 2014

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

eriddy posted:

I was actually thinking this same thing.

But what is the correct thing to do in this situation (or any situation where you witness a severe looking car accident)? Obviously calling 911 immediately would be the first thing but in the time it takes for emergency vehicles to arrive is there anything you could actually do to help?

This is a good point.

Motronic posted:

Guys......it's a 911. It's designed to kill drivers when you go over 90%. This is an expected result.

As is this.

CornHolio posted:

Ladies and gentlemens, the Thomassima.

Reading that link, I think he may be one of the most AI people ever.

I have a Hot Wheel of that. It's better in pictures! I love those wide Goodyears with the white stripe.

xzzy posted:

The latest installment of sticking random poo poo in the tailpipe and blipping the throttle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iELnlCZPR5Y

I've always wanted to try a mess of whoopie cushions. A true fart cannon.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

A length of inner tube on the tailpipe gives either a "worlds largest angriest whoopie cushion" or "someone is torturing a duck" effect, depending on the length of inner tube used. There are some really good youtube videos for this, too.

Oh, I have got to try this.

atomicthumbs posted:

found this while browsing Turbobricks and it's too batshit not to share. This is a Volvo B21 with some stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW5Uiy1pE7Q

That is an awesome Volvo. I love turbobricks.

In the related videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ol8bzv-894&t=135s

and the auction for it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291321908312?forcerRptr=true&item=291321908312&viewitem=

It's in Conroe, TX, and that's not too far away from me...
Sadly, I barely have $25, much less $2500 right now.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ah, 1988. I remember being enamored of the '88 Pontiac Grand Am for some reason. Thought it was the coolest new car available. That was also the year I graduated high school, so my taste was highly questionable as well.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

I wish they did more comparison shots with cars we're really familiar with. I would love a coffee table book of exotic cars next to a Tamry on every page, just to give the reader a sense of scale and proportion, so one may appreciate wonderfully rare cars in a new way.

You'd have to pick a Camry. Even there, the current model is huge compared to the 80s-90s.

cursedshitbox posted:

The RR of that vintage is loving ginormous.

E:

They are very large in person. We had one in our valet lot once when I happened to go outside. It's like a living room on wheels. It has 20" wheels and 13" rotors and they don't look too big for the car! Damned thing is 20 feet long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

T1g4h posted:

Double edit, here's a MSP Crown Vic with the gumball light:

I think the gumball light is pretty rad, it's something unique compared to most other setups.

Yeah, around here they go crazy with the LEDs strobing all over the place. At night you can;t see poo poo anywhere near a cop car with the lights going.