Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

My dad has a P85d on order, it comes April 21st. I'll make a video and see if I can find a vBox. :) It's not as quick as his other car to 60, at least on paper.

I'll bite: what's his other car that's quicker to 60 than a P85? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The i8 is cool looking and pretty neat despite the fact that

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

that takes two guys and a couple screwdrivers to open the hood

I'd still never own one even if I wasn't a filthy poor. Or rather, if I had the money I'd probably spend it elsewhere.

The i3 on the other hand is just inexcusable.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

Since we're on car game chat I'd to post another post about how pretty BeamNG Drive can be considering it's an unfinished car physics sim.

What map is that and where can I get it?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

When was the last time you played it? IIRC he said something about them switching to a better tire model at some point in the last few months.

Yeah I recently saw you can get a Steam key for BeamNG and ended up deleting an old version and updating to the steam version and everything definitely feels a lot more stable than it did before.

I'm having too much fun lining up several cars and ramps and setting up wild collisions. :v: That Speed Canyon map is excellent, btw.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Three speed automatic :lol:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

What I miss most about the older Gran Turismo games is being able to drive around in a 1993 Honda Shitbox if you wanted.

Forza still has those cars to some extent but the car list in a lot of newer games/sims makes me go "eh."

I'm broken.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

NoWake posted:

You can still do that in GT6, but they haven't updated the digital models for most of those cars since what looks like the PS1.

This is just laziness and carcount++ and is exactly what turned me off of the GT series, though.

That and all the cars sounding like vacuum cleaners. :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

To spin a turbo up to an RPM where it's actually making boost has got to draw an insane amount of amperage, right?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

MetaJew posted:

You mean like this person who's got a poo poo ton of college loan debt, a big mortgage, two car notes, and other stupid expenses and then cries about how hard it is?

https://www.quora.com/What-is-it-like-making-around-120K-130K-in-the-US-in-Sunnyvale-California-as-a-software-engineer/answer/Danielle-Lan

Basically get over yourself, with that money they could have absolutely found a small apartment for under $2k/month, paid off the college loan debt and/or aggressively save, oh and also maybe buy some lovely econo boxes instead of blowing your load on car notes.

Oh god this article.

"I'm spending every cent I earn on rent and then some BUT AT LEAST I'M MAKING MORE THAN MY MOM!"

Forget quality of life, the numbers on the check are what really matters. :downs:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Powershift posted:

Looking for key blanks that aren't just stamped with some random locksmith's name, i came across these.

Motherfucking wood grain key blanks.

Gold plated.

Even with the dubious 70s america build quality, they make modern car keys look like fisher price dog poo poo.

Classy as gently caress.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Delivery McGee posted:

Wait, how do you even fit in one of those? Looks like you'd be getting rather intimate with the diff.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I can't even fathom decelerating at 5.7g.

Or 5.7g along any axis for that matter. Goddamn Formula 1 drivers are nuts.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

Declaring bankruptcy on the 7k unread posts; pretend I autocrossed in this as penance :getin:

But have you ever autocrossed your black Saturn Astra? :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Chemmy posted:

The Prowler isn't pretty enough to make up for how gutless it is.

Are they that bad? I've never driven one but Chrysler's 3.5 V6 seemed like a fairly potent powerplant for it's time. The four speed auto is surely sandbagging it but that was standard for it's time. It seems the biggest criticism is "It should have had a V8" which is understandable considering the hot road styling but if I recall even the V6 was packaged in there pretty tightly.

In high school I had an Eagle Vision with the 3.3L V6 and a friend of mine had a New Yorker with the 3.5 and I was so jealous over how much faster her car was. :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Linedance posted:

I just got sent down a weird wild rabbit hole after my friend suggested offhand that he wished Lexus made a camper van as a joke.

OMFG

Gallery slightly :nws: due to vintage '70s titties

http://imgur.com/a/dAgM4

The best part is the official ad photography states: "Yes, you can gently caress in it."

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Farmland Park posted:

I found a bunch of trucking pictures from Northern Europe from the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s if anyone is interested. Mostly Norway, but some Sweden and Finland as well.

These are awesome.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

fridge corn posted:

You don't understand!!! With the money you save buying the normal range rover you can also buy an mx5 or focus st!!!!

This unironically.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

xzzy posted:

Why does that machine have that much power? Is it really that hard to shred poo poo?

Welcome to agricultural implements. Watch your fingers.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I'm not sure in the case of that spreader, but a lot of farm implements don't have their own power source and instead are driven off a tractor's PTO. Diesel engine geared down to lowish RPM = more torque than anybody needs for anything.

The prices on agricultural stuff is insane though. And

iospace posted:

Farm bills! It's not welfare :downs:!

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Preoptopus posted:

Wonder how hard it is to find a set of snows for that

Not too difficult it looks like.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Big AR, heavily monitored.

If you're not building a jet I couldn't guess what you're doing. :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I wish there was a podcast like The Dollop, with one guy telling a story / being knowledgeable about something, and another guy listening and making funny comments, but about cars and engineering.

As a huge dollop fan and all around dummy, I will gladly play the dummy. I vote Adiabatic for knowledge man. 14" should make a guest appearance.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

n0tqu1tesane posted:

That's how a two stroke works.

After watching that video of how quickly the exhaust gasses vacate the cylinder on a four-stroke and applying this knowledge to what I know about two-stroke engines (very little) I'm going to hazard a guess that the exhaust gasses leaving the cylinder in a two-stroke creates a small vacuum that aids in pulling fuel and air into the combustion chamber at the same time.

Which I guess is why exhaust tuning is so important on two-strokes and holy poo poo I feel like I get (on a theoretical level) two-stroke engines now.

Edit: Is this why I've heard some two-strokes describes as something like "self-supercharging" or similar?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Always ford the river.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I went to the car vending machine and wanted a Volkswagen GTI. It was labelled AA so I hit A twice. A fuckin' Mini Cooper S fell out! Apparently there is an AA button I didn't see.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

InitialDave posted:

I didn't. I'm guessing 20% bitching about that chain of parts stores, 30% calling them dumb bitches, 10% having a go at the dad for being mean, and the remaining 40% being really dodgy comments about girls in what looks like early teens at most.

This is so optimistic for the internet in 2017.

90% misogyny, 10% all other.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

1.8 turbo diesel.
4.5k redline

:v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The real crime on that FD is the front license plate mount. gently caress.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

iospace posted:

I never understood the hate of front plates, aside from maybe "THAT'S HOW THE COPS GET YA".

let me help you

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Speed holes. Drill more, go faster.

Blah blah blah you can tell who's been to the track etc etc

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Trap sprung. Sperg post incoming.

IIRC the Previa's engine (2TZ-FE/FZE) isn't exactly the same but it essentially a spiritual ancestor to the RZ series found in the early Tacos that took boost fairly well.

That said you're definitely going to be fighting the weird rear end packaging. I think the best sleeper Prrevia would probably be the 2TZ-FZE motor with the five speed but those are rare as hen's teeth. I know for sure you could never purchase a 4wd/5speed/supercharger package from the factory.

I have no idea why I like those vans so much either. They're not fast (obviously) and don't handle that well even with the mid engine and they're a pain in the rear end to work on but I love that they encapsulate peak 90s Japanese weirdness. Engine accessories, for example, were mounted up front but driven off a driveshaft mounted to the front of the crank. The radiator and fan were up front and the water pump was on the engine block and driven by an internal chain. There was even a tiny little intercooler up front for the supercharged models.

I'd drive the poo poo out of that V8 swapped one, too.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 19, 2017

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Memento posted:

A manual gearbox on an electric engine is a really odd choice.

Also, the wooden beams are a really concerning choice.

I think a sports car with an electric motor mated to a 6/7 speed manual box would be a fun low volume toy. I'm imagining a ~300ft/lb electric motor with a completely customizable torque curve. If you want a flat curve with max torque at 2000 RPM you can have that, but with a few sliders you can have a simulated K series with a torque peak at 8000.

Or you can simulate 80s turbo lag and have nothing below 4000 RPM before it takes off.

You'd have to manage the spin up/down speed of the motor to simulate inertia or shifting would feel like poo poo, but it'd be fun if not useful.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 21, 2017

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Those are awesome but holy poo poo that front fork

The body language of "check out my mad tyte ride" truly is universal isn't it.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Cage posted:

This thread is making me want to dig out the old Need for Speed 2: SE game. Has the GT90, McLaren F1, Jaguar XJ220 and though it hasn't been talked about recently AI favorite Lotus Esprit.

The cheat codes for that game were awesome too. TREXME. :v:

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivz1YKT9iT0

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 9, 2017

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

You Am I posted:

I think that's loving awful. It shows a complete breakdown in society where either people get all huffy about paying taxes and nothing gets done or governments can't be bothered spending money on infrastructure and rather spend it on weapons and walls.

Welcome to 2018, comrade.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I'm pretty sure it's impossible because of physics calculations but my dream is to play beamng.drive online as a driving MMO.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

I haven't picked it up yet, but I bought a 2007 Civic Si sedan for a dirt cheap DD. My two cars have 17600 as a sum of rev limits. Pretty ridiculous.

19,400 :smug:

between three cars

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm a bigger fan of Sherman.

Now I want to see that paint job on a Pinto. :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I saw the Intel logo and thought it was an x86 joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

eyebeem posted:

Someone brought some legit stuff to Cars N Coffee today. Jesus Christ.

There was this Agera (Draken, seen at Monterey 2017), a CCX, an original GT40, and a P1.

Those fukken wheels :popeye: