Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Gorson posted:

:barf:

Ok so assuming they don't just tell this guy to get a new loving motor, what would be done about this? A shitload of kerosene?

Nah, 1 qt ATF, 1 qt Marvel Mystery Oil, 1 qt Rislone Ring Seal and 1 qt 5w-30 in the crankcase. Finish off with a cardboard and glued Fram filter and call it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

mekilljoydammit posted:

You know, I know the consumer grade Fram filters have a bad reputation, but I now wonder what the innards of the racing grade ones look like. I would at least like to think the racing filters (HP6A and the like) are better made.

It will be a rabbit hole of a conversation. The only thing more argued about besides politics and religion are oil filters and oil.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

InitialDave posted:

Is that made from OSB?

Spared no expense.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

joat mon posted:

Hey. They painted it, didn't they?

I'm more interested in what gantry crane setup he used to place the cap on top.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Breakfast Feud posted:

Him and two buddies standing on buckets in the box.

Need a third one to hold their beers.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

davebo posted:

Just found this funny on a road trip last week. The Honda PIlot design was 100 years ahead of its time. (click for big)

Heh. I assume Maryland has vintage plates for all the decades?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Memento posted:

The Wikipedia page for J-body cars is great. An absolute cavalcade of automotive mediocrity. Can't believe they kept.making them until 2005.

Heretic. Without the J-body, there would have been no Cadillac Cimarron. The pinnacle of Cadillac.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Good old Roger Smith.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

davebo posted:

I mean I guess it's worth noting that the current C7 has a marginally faster lap time around VIR than a Lamborghini Murcielago and the current model Porsche Cayman GT4. Also the current Z06 beat everything but the Viper ACR and the 918, so if these are garbage shitboxes I guess you've got a really short and expensive list of what's good.

I was only 25 when I got my Corvette, and I didn't stroke my flaccid dick to it, but I'm sorry you've been exposed to douchebag car guys. Maybe it's the area you live in but I assure you there are just as many young dudes with fully functioning erections that stroke it to their underpowered front wheel drive 90's econoboxes that have been slightly lowered.

While I'm not a Corvette guy (I would like to have a C5, but honestly would love a C4 ZR-1) GM definitely deserves respect for them.

This the weirdest thing about GM from a few decades ago:

1) Can crank out the GNX
2) Typhoon and Syclone trucks
3) LT5 with the ZR-1
4) Corvettes have cheapy switch gear, interior bits, AC Delco radio, etc.

I can't imagine the infighting, bean counters, Bob Lutz trying to shove poo poo through, project heads pleading and cutting corners, etc. to see some of these exist all while they push out a Cimarron.

But yeah, optispark was a bad idea.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

Don't forget about the olds diesel or the 8-6-4 engine. Classic GM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAngJRVboaE

Three-speed automatic!

I think the 8-6-4 started malfunctioning when it pulled out of the lot.

1981 was not a year to buy a Caddy. It was either the 8-6-4 or the diesel. Yikes.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

1500quidporsche posted:

I'll never understand what on earth possessed GM to think having another go at aluminum block cast​ iron head was a good idea. The whole Cadillac division really was a loving mess by the 80s. I mean really who the gently caress thought the belt straps on the Seville trunk was a good idea in 1980?

What engine are you referring to? The only one on the top of my head around that time was the Vega where poo poo would basically fall off the engine.

And I hope none of you had the mispleasure of owning a Northstar.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

1500quidporsche posted:

The 4100 HT engine that followed the 8-6-4 was the same aluminum block, iron head type design. So yeah, just imagine what sort of drugs were being done that led to that line of thinking.

Ah gotcha. Didn't realize the 8-6-4 was AL block.

It's funny now that as we go through some of this it's no wonder why imports ate their (and the other 2) lunch.

As for drugs, the Vega vertapak transportation method was probably thought up one night during some binge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Vega#Vertical_rail_transport

quote:

Although Lordstown Assembly had a purpose-built exit off of the Ohio Turnpike built to make shipment easier, the Vega was designed for vertical shipment, nose down. General Motors and Southern Pacific designed "Vert-A-Pac" rail cars to hold 30 Vegas each, compared with conventional tri-level autoracks which held 18. The Vega was fitted with four removable cast-steel sockets on the underside and had plastic spacers—removed at unloading—to protect engine and transmission mounts. The rail car ramp/doors were opened and closed via forklift.[42]

Vibration and low-speed crash tests ensured the cars would not shift or suffer damage in transit. The Vega was delivered topped with fluids, ready to drive to dealerships, so the engine was baffled to prevent oil entering the number one cylinder; the battery filler caps high on the rear edge of the casing prevented acid spills; a tube drained fuel from carburetor to vapor canister; and the windshield washer bottle stood at 45 degrees.[43]

And who was doing the drugs? Probably the beancounters thinking hey, we can save a few bucks on shipping. Of course not taking into the account of the engineering costs for this.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Powershift posted:

Tale as old as time, tune as old as song.

the SSR:
year 1 - 300hp 5.3, 4 speed automatic only. customers: this is trash, i'll buy something else instead
year 2 - 390hp 6.0, 6 speed stick. customers: yeah, whatever, i already bought something else.

Yep. Never did understand why they repeatedly released products sort of half-baked. Yeah, next year, instead of the 4L80E you can have the 6L80E. Obviously there is continuous improvement, but they had a habit of launching an entirely new product out the door with the notion of "just wait until next year" and telegraphing it to the masses.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Q_res posted:

You could have read the post literally right above the one you quoted... :psyduck:

Also, the 368 (8-6-4) was not an aluminum block engine.

Yeah, now that I went back I can see where I got confused.

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

I did. It was in my 96 Deville I bought for around $1500 in 2006. The thing drank oil and I had to replace head gaskets about 7k miles into ownership.

I've still never driven a more comfortable car than that though. It wasn't even remotely fun to drive except in a straight line, but man if driving a couch down a highway isn't great in its own right.

Nothing wrong with couch down the highway. Both my Northstars had the great head bolt/gasket issue.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Shai-Hulud posted:

I saw someone driving this while driving to work:

It was freezing and raining and he was dressed in full on outdoor jacket and woolly hat and looked miserable as gently caress.

Don't get me wrong. Those things have their uses but man would i buy a beater to drive in the winter if i had one of these things.

Oh yeah, doors cost 600€ extra. The doors do not include windows. Those are another 300€...

Oh hey forgot about that. It also does not have a heater...

It looks like two segways hosed a smart car.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

There's only about one car that can pull of the eyelashes and it came from the factory that way.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

davebo posted:

To be fair it's largely following the comics, and its never-ending cycle of people dying, then meeting new people, lends itself pretty well to comics which don't have to end. I was surprised it was made into a show since most shows eventually get endings, but I guess if they're still making money more power to them. When I first saw that Hyundai though I just assumed Hyundai either paid them or donated cars for the show because it was just to out of place to be random.

Best car product placement was I think the second or third season of 24, where the 2 hour premiere was brought to you exclusively by Ford. Where all the good guys drove Explorers, Excursions and a Thunderbird while the terrorists all had DaeWoos.

The comics are in a state of general malaise right now. Kirkman needs to stick a fork in them by issue 200.

All I know is, that if I want to drive a car with a mix of 85/15 ethanol that is around 7 years old...a Hyundai is my choice

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I wouldn't mind product placements if they were somewhat upfront with what will go wrong. That would add an element of danger.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

dissss posted:

Didn't that Hyundai crossover get stuck in the mud at some point during that episode of TWD?

Maybe. Then they could have used that as a segue into a Michelin tire commercial.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

FuzzKill posted:

I really appreciate that he put the business name on the rear window as well, since I couldn't make out what it says on the tailgate.

VALLEY RING SERVIE

Probably for the benefit of small vehicles and Class 8 trucks in bumper-to-bumper gridlock. No matter how low or high, one can read it.

Shark on the back, flaming robodolphin on the side. Needs an octopus holding eight guns firing on the hood.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

The context of this is unknown to me, but I feel like it belongs here.

Under head valve engine.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

They filming a Grease remake with those caps?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Q_res posted:

So Velocity is going to ruin the show trying to save a dime. Leave it to an American company to buy a golden goose just to cut it open trying to get to the eggs.

Well that sucks. One of the few car shows my wife likes. Granted, there were some hokey episodes. But watching Edd actually look like a filthy DIY dealing with oil leaks and rust as the show went on was a pleasure.

Loved the Urraco episode. Not something you see everyday. And crazy how they had the drat thing parked when they picked it up.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Powershift posted:

I liked the TVR episode where mike bought one with a rusty chassis and went to ed and was like "you have to replace the chassis, but not to worry, i got you a new one" and ed was just like

I might be mistaken but wasn't that the Morgan? Actually went to the factory and they were like "yeah we have those in stock."

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Powershift posted:

Am i the only one here who stands right beside the nozzle the entire time it's filling, and removes it immediately after it's done?

How packed is your schedule that you can't just stand there and sniff gas fumes for 3 minutes?

I don't. In these parts for some reason it is illegal to light up a cigarette next to a gas pump. So I watch next to the stack of propane tanks and firewood.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Anyone here actually eaten a gas station hot dog or burrito?

And where the hell don't the nozzles have latches? NJ and Oregon excluded.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Number_6 posted:

The automatic wash I go to also has a tendency to leave some dirt on the back of the car. Not that bad, though.

I have a gas station with an automatic car wash near my house.

Was inside paying for something and a guy comes in complaining about the car wash. Looked outside and saw a car covered in soap bubbles. Turns out he drove through the thing which is probably around 40 ft long.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Darchangel posted:

Wait. You mean he didn't know to stop and wait for the thing to do it's job? Just, like, drove straight through it without stopping?

Yep, honest to god. Quite impressive. His entire car looked like you sprayed it with foam cleaner (scrubbing bubbles type poo poo.) Wife was with me and a few other strangers in line. We all were so transfixed on this debacle and how the poor attendant would handle it we basically hung around to see the outcome. She instructed him how to use it and he came out clean in the end.

To be honest I felt bad for the guy in retrospect due to the fact it was probably his first rodeo with an automatic car wash in the USA. But the spouse and I still chuckle every time we use one thinking back to that poor soul.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I'd be curious on run times on passing through Ohio. Need a big nutsack for those.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Nice tolerances for the hood gaps.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

drgitlin posted:

I did DC-Columbus and back in about 7 hours each way a couple of months ago. Adaptive cruise control (set to 80) and lane keeping worked perfectly considering I was on 3 hours sleep.

I neighbor OH. Every time I come or go from it I chuckle at the state patrol sitting 40 feet from the border.

Is it still true they don't have unmarked cop cars in OH? Or was that some urban legend?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Rhyno posted:

How do you even get in the mindset that CUTTING THE loving WHEEL OFF is a good idea?

Probably angst combined with a shitload of desperation and frustration. But granted, sawing a wheel off with the tire attached is pretty much crazy town.

I sawzalled off a rotor on my expedition many years back because for the life of me I couldn't get it to pop off. Wish I knew the bolt trick at the time...which worked when doing the jeep's rotors last summer. Of course the threads were hosed after using that trick and brought on another chain of events.

Always makes me wonder what mechanics do with "what should be easy brake jobs but I'm working for Midas" on a daily basis.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Meydey posted:

True story: When I went to a Subaru dealer to trade in my 96 Taurus wagon (uggg), we had almost decided on a 3 year used 99 Forester. The process was taking awhile and the kids were whining so we hopped in the Taurus and ran to Mcds to shut them up. As we pulled back into the lot, the transmission literally poo poo itself and left a 30 foot trail of sorrow and shame across across the front of the Subaru lot. Trade in went from $3k to a $500 pity trade in immediately. Took 4 sales guys to push it away (hopefully to a crusher)

The AX4N transmission strikes again.

You want a poo poo auto (outside of CVT), be lucky to never have a CD4E.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

iospace posted:

What transmission was in the 1998 Olds Intrigue?

4t60

Not a bad transmission, main problem were shift solenoids. You think, not a problem, drop out the pan and replace them since it is just the valve body. Then you realize crap, subframe prevents that.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

iospace posted:

Then please explain why mine kept on eating them.

Or would "brother drives like a maniac" also work?

Yeah, that will do it.

Had a Buick with a 4t65E. Which was a tad sturdier. Even that gave me the hard shift issues around 90K.

The funny thing is when you tear one apart you realize if they spent $20 extra on sturdier parts it would outlast you. But when multiplied by 5,000,000 units you start to see bean counter math.

Probably the coolest transmission with the "just gently caress it make it work transmission" is the TH425. Take a bulletproof TH400, strap some chains to it so it can drive the front wheels. To this day, I feel the '68 Toronado and Elderado are the coolest ever.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Cool thing about the Citation was it could pull a boat with only 3 wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh_F2vFfDW0

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hopefully Richard Dreyfuss doesn't sit on the hood.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Slim Pickens posted:

Of course it still has the anemic 4 banger in there, you really thought it wouldn't?

Are you trying to tell us the PT Cruiser has an underpowered engine? Blasphemy.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

1) Plunking down 40K-60K for a pickup...hell yeah you don't want to ding it up.

2) Having a beater truck is awesome for those of that have one.

3) Wish GM/Ford/Dodge would have have spent $1 more on rust prevention so the late 90's early 00's were more available.

4) gently caress Ford, should have cranked out more Excursions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

rdb posted:

I don't know why you would pick a ridgeline over an F150 3.5/10 speed that gets nearly(1mpg less) the same MPG but has literally twice the capacity. The ridgeline is for people who already own a Honda who want nothing but Honda in the garage.

Car-like ride, has some interesting features. What capacity measure? Towing?

Fills a niche, the testosterone factor kicks in and when you reach those dollars. Whats another few thousand on top of the price to get something bigger when you are financing?