Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Sometimes it's the simple things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

That's a respectable figure for the 80's.

To be fair, the engine was swapped from a 93 Lumina. My college ex-girlfriend drove a 95 Lumina and it was awfully slow.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

Yeah but as soon as they dig them out of their purse to find them they put them in the ignition so they know exactly where the keys are, and then when they stop the car they pull them out of the ignition and put them back in their purse. I have no idea how one could lose their keys in such a situation.

Clearly you've never dated anyone with a big purse. I could read War and Peace cover to cover with the amount of time I've spent standing next to a car door waiting for girlfriends to find their goddamn keys in their purses.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Invalido posted:

This car managed to stay within noise limits and continue totally-not-racing in the 24 hour "endurance test" in which it took part. The terrible car stuff is the turbo that broke down shortly after, starting a fire that abruptly ended the totally-not-a-race for that year.

What car is it?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah see that's why I moved to socal. And then it snowed.

Where did it snow in socal?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

This car is a facelift. It's also one of the biggest turds I've ever seen, terrible bodykit, paint with bog visibly everywhere and poo poo just falling apart in general. The guy thinks that just because it's a factory manual (not turbo) he can get, like, eight grand for it bro.

Hey I sold my '98 240 with 115k miles for 9 grand in 2004. It was a base model with 14" wheels and automatic transmission with some minor paint and body damage from the PO. I have no problem taking advantage of idiots with their parent's money.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This Hellcat driver is pretty terrible car stuff.

http://youtu.be/kG6veF_34QE?t=1m4s

The best (worst) part is the comments. Elitist uninformed idiots against snobby grammatically incorrect uninformed asshats. You can label each side of the argument as you see fit.

The Challenger starts to actually accelerate just as the Tesla crosses the lights.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

I got my low HP tiny hatchback in the brightest color possible. I'm not sure if that makes my dick bigger or smaller, can AI help?

I bought one of the worst cars in automotive history, but I maintain a raging erection any time I touch it or think about it. What can the internet do for me?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Geoj posted:

To be fair, finding an unmolested, rust-free and mechanically sound mid-90s Explorer would be a pretty tall order at this point.

Guess it depends on what part of the country you're in. I did a quick Craigslist search near me and this one is $2,400 and already comes with the correct Eddie Bauer wheels, body kit, seats (including leather and beige color). And of course no rust, being a SoCal car.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/4897426981.html

Throw on some paint and you're 90% there.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

:byewhore:

That guy is seriously boned. In as many ways as you can imagine.

How would bribing even help? Would the cop say the woman was driving or something?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SaNChEzZ posted:

That's the cleanest, most organized yard I've ever seen.

Parking lot outside the yard, unless :thejoke:?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm currently driving to Vegas and saw this amazing thing on the road. Somehow this truck was driving straight in its lane at 70mph.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is pretty terrible. Totally screwing up my work schedule. Thankfully I didn't have any meetings this morning.

Currently waiting for the tow truck.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
:byewhore:

Also props to the police officer for answering the kid's questions at the school across the street.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SaNChEzZ posted:

GLENNNNNNDALLEEEEEEEE

Good on you for getting it towed. Most people I know wouldn't "be a dick", but gently caress that guy.

I knocked on doors in the neighborhood, honked my horn for a while to get the owner's attention, and it took the tow truck over an hour to get there and the owner still didn't show up. I even asked the cop if it'd be ok to just move the car back a few feet so I can get out, but they had to tow it.

I tried not to be a dick, but they made me almost two hours late to work.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Linedance posted:

Could you imagine the outcry if someone had suggested driving down the sidewalk and out the next driveway?

wayfinder posted:

Or just over the lawn and around the tree

If I were in my Jeep I would have no problem driving over the curb, but I'm not going to risk damaging the extremely low profile tires and wheels or possibly running over and breaking the sprinklers in my yard because some rear end in a top hat parked in front of my driveway. Why should I go out of my way and risk costing myself money because this shitheel doesn't look before parking his car? The rear bumper of my bright red car was about 6 feet way from his face when he parked.

xzzy posted:

Then there'd be whining about ruining the bodywork when whatever low-slung hatchback that is grinds against the curb. You just don't do that man.

It's a 2014 Fiesta ST, and I would nearly certainly scratch up the wheels going over the curb on the side of the driveway. The wheel sits lower than the curb height - I checked.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Spotted on a 30mph residential street. Someone must have been REALLY late to something. You see hit and run damage on parked cars all the time in LA, but this amount of damage is a first in my 10 years here.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Saw this on Facebook today. I thought it was a joke, but the guy has apparently driven several hundred miles like this already.

How it looks after driving like this:

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Perfect.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

There's also Mitsubishi, but they might have been genuinely trying their best.

It's so confusing. The Evo has consistently been a great car for two decades and proof that Mitsu can make good cars. Why they can't get their poo poo together on anything else is a mystery.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Geoj posted:

While I kind of like their idea of using a hearse Ecto 1 will always be a 50s Cadillac ambulance to me.

When the first Ghostbusters was made in 1984, their 1959 Cadillac ambulance was 25 years old. The characters didn't have a lot of money with their startup ghost busting company, so they found a crappy, old, and therefore cheap car with room inside to carry themselves and their gear. Now, 31 years later, the '59 Cadillac is an absolute classic that harkens to an era of design that is arguably one of the most beautiful and sought after in American automotive history. So it makes no sense for the characters in the modern movie to pick a super rare, beautiful, and therefore expensive classic. Instead, they also buy a 25 year old Cadillac themselves, which is about as sought after as the original '59 was in 1984 - so they land on a 1990 year model. As far as I can tell, Cadillac wasn't making ambulances out of their sedans in 1990, but they were making hearses (and after a quick Craigslist search, are in the $4,000 range now in good condition.)

Makes total sense to me.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

I don't think anybody here really hates bagged vehicles. This is what comes to mind when hellaflush comes up though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4oAKOCRy9g

The best part of that is the girl at the end. "gently caress this car, show" "gently caress all of you".

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Drifting under the influence no doubt?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had a family reunion last week in Oregon and my father rented a VW Passat. It was a decent car, except there was a pretty nasty smell coming from the trunk that was half masked by some cleaning agent.

A few hours into the drive to the reunion we stopped for food and I emptied the trunk to find the floor soaked with this putrid and definitely organic fluid of some sort. It had soaked into the suitcases and bags. Awful.

By the time we got to the resort a few hours later you could smell the car from 30 feet away.

I opened the trunk the next day to air it out and it looked like this:

Horrible. We called Enterprise and they couldn't help us because they had no cars. Two days later they still had no cars and couldn't help us. They offered a free tank of gas as compensation, which didn't work for me.

So I took to Twitter and made a simple tweet.

We got a new car the next day, a Chevy Captiva, which was a huge POS, but at least it didn't smell like dead animals.

I'm glad they made it right, and also gave a $260 refund, but it sucks that we have to publicly shame companies now to get them to fix their poo poo.

By the way, I never actually rode in the Passat from hell. This was my ride, and it was loving incredible:

If it weren't so big and hard to park in LA, I'd absolutely buy the hell out of a minivan.

BoostCreep fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 14, 2015

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

Having ridden in a Captiva from Phoenix to LA and back, I'm not sure it was an improvement. That thing is loving atrocious.

It really is. I rode in it from Bend, OR to Portland and everyone in the car was complaining about the ride quality and terrible seats. GM never fails to disappoint.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Safety Dance posted:

Also Hershey's is objectively garbage. If you want real chocolate, buy from a real chocolatier.

Hopefully that's changing soon.

http://www.thehersheycompany.com/newsroom/news-release.aspx?id=2017846

I grew up near Hershey, PA and that place was magic as a kid. Once they made the switch to all terrible palm oil and PGPR or whatever I stopped buying their products. Hopefully it'll taste like actual chocolate again with these changes.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

Yeah, i would imagine it's hard to get cocaine out of ostritch leather.

Powershift posted:

Eh, sometimes if it's too big to fit in the can, they don't take it.

Gotta make sure to slap a yard waste sticker or something on it.

Powershift wins this page. Great job Powershift.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Between that, and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI2L82eUoJU Nissan really had the 90's car commercials cornered.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This one sorta loops right back around to awesome.

I love that they put the standard Jeep logo in the center of the grill. It really should say Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep to finish the look.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This car pretty much wraps back around to awesome again, but ultimately I guess it fits in this thread. Mostly because he chopped the top off a unibody car without any visible bracing. And look at that camber!

What are those, 30" tall?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Amazingly the driver is using a turn signal. It's just that he's doing it from the wrong lane with no less than 3 signs and a huge NO TURN on the ground telling him not to turn.

The driver of the Honda started yelling at the person, who then almost hit the oncoming cars and my friend as he/she tried to get back into the correct lane to go straight.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

~Collector's Edition~

Wrong thread. The Junkman and Deadline Auto Theft are awesome.

Here's the Junkman's trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0SrTEeSqM0 I mean come on.

BoostCreep fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 25, 2016

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

Also, I'm amazed no one recognized the Bricklin SV-1.

That's the only reason I know of those movies.

Deadline Auto Theft trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm3RRarogKs

"DO YOU SEE THAT BRICKLIN!?"

Unintentional comedy gold.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I saw this in NYC this weekend. Please tell me this is normal and safe.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

My concern is that from the photos the only contact with the ground looks to be those two feet. How is that thing stable? Is it just not showing additional feet off the front and rear?

It has 4 feet. The first photo shows the rear feet, the others show the middle feet. There is nothing supporting the front.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Throatwarbler posted:

Twist: The front half is the original car, and the owner has been painstakingly converting his 1982 Firebird(?) into a 2002 Grand Am starting from the rear bumper.

I choose to believe this.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You have to zoom in to appreciate the stupidity. There are wheels under the driver and passenger frame rails, but the car isn't actually resting on them. Plus it's on an incline and the front is only held up with a scissor jack (under the license plate). Part of me wanted to warn him, and part of me wanted to stay and watch.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

I'm glad they put the engine spec on the horn, in case you forget and need the information quickly someday.

How dare you make fun of 80's Japanese interiors.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

inkblottime posted:

I don't even

They are probably trying to emulate Ryan Tuerck's suspension and wheel setup, but you know, on the street instead of a race track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

To be fair, that is ryan tuerck's street car.

Yes, but driven by Ryan Tuerck.